Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,532 members, 7,843,639 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 09:09 AM

Which Church? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Which Church? (1144 Views)

Which Church Program Would You Want To Attend? (Hilarious Photos) / Which Church Represents True Christianity / Which Church Do You Attend And Why? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Church? by achi4u(m): 2:56pm On Apr 21, 2012
i want to change from authodise church to new generational church but am still confuse in choosing a church that will help me upgrade my spiritaul faith.

please,which church is more fashionable and more accommodating?
thanks for your response.
Re: Which Church? by Goshen360(m): 3:17pm On Apr 21, 2012
First of all, STUDYING of the word of God for yourself is MORE important than you "thinking" or "looking" for a church to
achi4u: help me upgrade my spiritaul faith.
. This idea of yours is WRONG sir. Study the word of God for yourself, build up yourself and faith AND THEN THINK OF WHAT OR WHICH CHURCH "YOU" CAN HELP BUILD UP, AM NOT TALKING ABOUT PHYSICAL BUILDING UP BUT WHICH CHURCH YOU CAN IMPART BY THE KNOWLEDGE OF THE WORD OF GOD.

On the other hand, in case you are not yet spiritually sound (from the tune of your thread), you can start somewhere BUT also, IT IS WRONG TO LOOK FOR THE CHURCH THAT IS "MORE FASHIONABLE". Something is wrong in this idea please.

Back to the question of this thread, Don't attend a mega church or big church. You "might" have little or no spiritual growth in such places. Look around you and look for a small church that you can all notice yourself and that does good BIBLE STUDY. This is the kind of place I believe you will grow in the word of God except you just want to be a "church goer" but if you want to be spiritually sound like you said, then two factors are necessary - Small church that is just growing and that does BIBLE STUDY teachings.

This is my advice sir.
Re: Which Church? by achi4u(m): 3:47pm On Apr 21, 2012
Goshen360: First of all, STUDYING of the word of God for yourself is MORE important than you "thinking" or "looking" for a church to . This idea of yours is WRONG sir. Study the word of God for yourself, build up yourself and faith AND THEN THINK OF WHAT OR WHICH CHURCH "YOU" CAN HELP BUILD UP, AM NOT TALKING ABOUT PHYSICAL BUILDING UP BUT WHICH CHURCH YOU CAN IMPART BY THE KNOWLEDGE OF THE WORD OF GOD.

On the other hand, in case you are not yet spiritually sound (from the tune of your thread), you can start somewhere BUT also, IT IS WRONG TO LOOK FOR THE CHURCH THAT IS "MORE FASHIONABLE". Something is wrong in this idea please.

Back to the question of this thread, Don't attend a mega church or big church. You "might" have little or no spiritual growth in such places. Look around you and look for a small church that you can all notice yourself and that does good BIBLE STUDY. This is the kind of place I believe you will grow in the word of God except you just want to be a "church goer" but if you want to be spiritually sound like you said, then two factors are necessary - Small church that is just growing and that does BIBLE STUDY teachings.

This is my advice sir.
thanks brother for your advice but alot of churches is wooing me with preaching and bible studies.is not better i remain to myself and keep my good behevior going...because i am afriad of these churches.
Re: Which Church? by Goshen360(m): 4:04pm On Apr 21, 2012
achi4u: thanks brother for your advice but alot of churches is wooing me with preaching and bible studies.is not better i remain to myself and keep my good behevior going...because i am afriad of these churches.

How do you mean by the highlighted?
Re: Which Church? by achi4u(m): 10:58pm On Apr 21, 2012
Goshen360:

How do you mean by the highlighted?
a kind of advertising a product.mine is original more dan d other.
Re: Which Church? by Goshen360(m): 1:08am On Apr 22, 2012
^
I still don't understand your answers anyway. But be good and attend a bible teaching church. This is my concern for you and more importantly, STUDY the word by yourself. This way, you will be able to prove ALL things for yourself.
Re: Which Church? by Image123(m): 9:11am On Apr 22, 2012
Verily verily i say unto you, you MUST be born again.
Re: Which Church? by achi4u(m): 2:51pm On Apr 22, 2012
Goshen360: ^
I still don't understand your answers anyway. But be good and attend a bible teaching church. This is my concern for you and more importantly, STUDY the word by yourself. This way, you will be able to prove ALL things for yourself.
sir,having heard from you,i will remain who i am "a child of GOD"with no church.soon i may join logicboy &co.thanx
Re: Which Church? by Goshen360(m): 3:09pm On Apr 22, 2012
achi4u: sir,having heard from you,i will remain who i am "a child of GOD"with no church.soon i may join logicboy &co.thanx

lol. grin Please, don't join logic boy o and co o, please i beg of you. What am saying is, when you study the bible for yourself, instead of being spoon fed by a pastor. You will be able to know "when" a pastor is deceiving or not. You should fellowship with fellow brethren and also, when you study the word, God can use you to affect some lives positively in a church. This is what am trying to communicate. I hope you get what am saying.
Re: Which Church? by italo: 9:37am On Apr 23, 2012
Be Catholic!
Re: Which Church? by achi4u(m): 12:57pm On Apr 24, 2012
italo: Be Catholic!
what is catholic and do i stand to achive.pls answer me
Re: Which Church? by italo: 2:19pm On Apr 24, 2012
The truth!
Re: Which Church? by LogicMind: 2:25pm On Apr 24, 2012
italo: The truth!

and greater Lies!
Re: Which Church? by achi4u(m): 4:03pm On Apr 24, 2012
no church can save you only your good deed and God salvation can.i only agree with what Bro Goshen360 has told me...to read the scripture and understand the word of GOD.

so no need for church.
Re: Which Church? by Goshen360(m): 1:35am On Apr 25, 2012
^
I can't remember telling you not to go to church sir. On the contrary, I said after or as you study the word of God for yourself and you attend a good bible believing/teaching church, God can use you to change things where God wants you to function. Do not forsake the assembly of the brethren saith the Lord.
Re: Which Church? by italo: 8:52am On Apr 25, 2012
achi4u: no church can save you only your good deed and God salvation can.i only agree with what Bro Goshen360 has told me...to read the scripture and understand the word of GOD.
so no need for church.

Don't be so hostile towards me. I thought you sought help so I was trying to give my honest advice, like everybody else.

Its good to read the scripture, but you will never understand it without the guidance of the Church of the living God, which is the pillar and foundation of the truth (1Tim 3:15).

Even the Bible was a creation of that Church 400years after Christ died.

What did the early christians use, then, when there were no Bibles? They were part of the Church.

Who will give you the body and blood of Christ to eat and drink? How will you have life if you don't "eat" and "drink"?

What about the teachings that the apostles did not write, the ones that were passed on by word of mouth? Who will teach you those?

You are obviously free to do what you like with your life... Just my word of advice...
Re: Which Church? by ckkris: 9:26am On Apr 25, 2012
Italo.
You're partially correct. Its right to Read The Bible and also join a church. But Jesus cautioned people to "TAKE HEED WHAT YOU HEAR". Many agents of satan have dominated Bible Schools, and are teaching horrible things, including that man can marry man, even in church, not just in the courts. Many pastors are teaching the broad highway to hell. People that go to church ought to hold on to THE WORD , like the BEREAN christians, more than the teachings of pastors, because the bare-faced vain-glorious ones always insist that they MUST be obeyed in all things, even more than THE WORD OF GOD.
Re: Which Church? by ckkris: 9:48am On Apr 25, 2012
italo.
The Bible, or, The Scriptures, is what Apollos preached, in order to convince and convert many people, who MUST believe that Jesus of Nazareth is the expected Messiah. Satanic theologians may lie that the Bible was created later. Paul strongly enjoined everyone to study The Scriptures, which now includes The Gospel, that is the good news that of all that the law of Moses, and all the prophets anticipated, have been fulfilled.
Re: Which Church? by tos4u(m): 10:12am On Apr 25, 2012
Sir,
definately u need a sound church that teaches the truth, firstly make sure you are born again, then join churches like redeemed xtian church of God, winners, deeper life, etc, but u must b ready to study d scripture urself and u w hav to b patient n settle down in ur chosen church so to gradually develop it takes some time to really grow n neva dispise ur little beginin, thnks keep living in d presence of His holy Spirit
Re: Which Church? by achi4u(m): 2:30pm On Apr 25, 2012
tos4u: Sir,
definately u need a sound church that teaches the truth, firstly make sure you are born again, then join churches like redeemed xtian church of God, winners, deeper life, etc, but u must b ready to study d scripture urself and u w hav to b patient n settle down in ur chosen church so to gradually develop it takes some time to really grow n neva dispise ur little beginin, thnks keep living in d presence of His holy Spirit
this one na doctors prescription...if i join deeper life whos people hadly watch TV,am i going to sell my set and my computers and stop watching football matches?.you said Redeem,haha,i heard their pastor get 4private jet and a fleet of airplanes,he also slap a young girl who sue him to court.
well,am not trying rubbish your advise to me but am just pointing that all this oneman show churches are weak from its inxception.

thank you very much Sir.

but am considering Catholic.
Re: Which Church? by Goshen360(m): 2:40pm On Apr 25, 2012
achi4u: this one na doctors prescription...if i join deeper life whos people hadly watch TV,am i going to sell my set and my computers and stop watching football matches?.

grin grin grin

achi4u: you said Redeem,haha,i heard their pastor get 4private jet and a fleet of airplanes,he also slap a young girl who sue him to court.

Point of correction sir, that's NOT Redeem BUT Winners Chapel.

achi4u:
well,am not trying rubbish your advise to me but am just pointing that all this oneman show churches are weak from its inxception.

GREAT POINT! The church is NOT a family enterprise OR one man business but unfortunately.....

achi4u: but am considering Catholic.

Catholic? Error sir angry shocked
Pls take your time prayerfully and carefully. God will lead you to a bible teaching/believing church. Don't rush. You will notice I have tried in all my advice NOT TO MENTION A PARTICULAR CHURCH TO YOU. Kinly relax, take your time prayerfully and carefully. You will get one bible teaching and believing church soon. God bless you sir.
Re: Which Church? by Idango(m): 7:40pm On Apr 25, 2012
You said you want to change from orthodox church and you are considering catholic? which orthodox church were you before ? You very first step is to surrender your life to Jesus and be born again, that decision comes before joining a church, you need the church for spiritual growth. What make you a child of God is your relationship with God.

1 Like

Re: Which Church? by achi4u(m): 10:54pm On Apr 25, 2012
Goshen360:

grin grin grin

Point of correction sir, that's NOT Redeem BUT Winners Chapel.

GREAT POINT! The church is NOT a family enterprise OR one man business but unfortunately.....

Pls take your time prayerfully and carefully. God will lead you to a bible teaching/believing church. Don't rush. You will notice I have tried in all my advice NOT TO MENTION A PARTICULAR CHURCH TO YOU. Kinly relax, take your time prayerfully and carefully. You will get one bible teaching and believing church soon. God bless you sir.
brother,u mean catholic hadly read and teach the bible to their congregation?just that catholic is less noisy and has rules.i dont want to put my faith in hand of man who may decide to turn the church into baby factorygrin
Re: Which Church? by italo: 11:52pm On Apr 25, 2012
ckkris: italo.
The Bible, or, The Scriptures, is what Apollos preached, in order to convince and convert many people, who MUST believe that Jesus of Nazareth is the expected Messiah. Satanic theologians may lie that the Bible was created later. Paul strongly enjoined everyone to study The Scriptures, which now includes The Gospel, that is the good news that of all that the law of Moses, and all the prophets anticipated, have been fulfilled.

My short reply is this: the Bible was created by The Catholic Church in the fourth century. Before then, there was nothing called "Bible". Period.

tos4u: Sir,

You mentioned several 'churches'. They all teach different doctrines. Can they all be correct? I believe there is only one truth, one doctrine and one Church, founded by Christ himself (correct me if I'm wrong). So which one of these teaches that one true doctrine?

Goshen360:

I think you should give him concrete reasons why you said "Catholic? Error sir". Don't you think it will help him make a better decision?

What Church can teach or believe the Bible more than the one that created the Bible and gave it to the world?
Re: Which Church? by ckkris: 10:30am On Apr 26, 2012
italo.
Paul was definitely in Rome in AD 60, in the middle of the 1st century, when Nero was Emperor, Acts 28:11-16. Paul's preaching, that of Apollos in Acts 18:28, was based entirely on the Mosaic Laws and the prophets, that is, Genesis to Malachi. Sir, you can now agree that it was not the Catholic Church that created these Scriptures. The Good News of Salvation through Christ Jesus, which brought Paul to Rome, was being proclaimed and documented by His followers, such as Luke, a Medical Doctor from Greece, Luke 1:1-3, Acts 1:1, Colossians 4:14. Take note Sir, that Paul enjoined the Colossians to read the letter to the Laodiceans, and vice versa, Colossians 4:16. In this manner the Gospels, the Epistles, and their Old Testament background, were being copied and circulated, IN THE 1st CENTURY, and not as late as the 4th century.
Re: Which Church? by achi4u(m): 2:35pm On Apr 26, 2012
Idango: You said you want to change from orthodox church and you are considering catholic? which orthodox church were you before ? You very first step is to surrender your life to Jesus and be born again, that decision comes before joining a church, you need the church for spiritual growth. What make you a child of God is your relationship with God.
well to answer your question am a Catholic but atimes i just feel as if am no longer connected to christ,then if i look the other way(other churches),i still see a worst case.thats what prompted me to ask the house to know weather if there's anyway out.i hope u know where am driving to?,yet anybody with candid oppinion should aswell help.

thanks everybody that have commented so far.
Re: Which Church? by italo: 6:23pm On Apr 26, 2012
achi4u: well to answer your question am a Catholic but atimes i just feel as if am no longer connected to christ,then if i look the other way(other churches),i still see a worst case.thats what prompted me to ask the house to know weather if there's anyway out.i hope u know where am driving to?,yet anybody with candid oppinion should aswell help.

thanks everybody that have commented so far.

Catholic! It is a good thing that your soul is yearning for fulfillment...but what kind of fulfillment.

If you want a 'fashionable Church', then I have no suggestions for you. I do not think that's the right reason to seek a "Church".

But if you want to improve your spirituality and faith, then I have one suggestion: STAY PUT!

Perhaps you might want to tell me a few things which might help me help you more.

Are you an actively practising Catholic? No, I guess.

By that I mean, do you participate in the Sacraments regularly? Are you Baptized? (If you are, you are born-again). Are you a communicant? Do you receive communion regularly? Do you go to confession? Are you confirmed? Etc. Do you go to mass every Sunday and on holy days of obligation? If you go, do you participate actively and consciously or do you just let the prayers, gestures, sermons etc fly by and then when Father says "the Mass is ended", you hurry home.

Catholic! Do you realize who you are? Whose body you are part of? Who we receive at mass? Do you want to be like the disciples who walked away from the body and blood of Christ in John 6?

But before I here from you, I have some advice to give.

Go to Mass as soon and regularly as possible. Let not your body alone be present, but your heart and mind too. Participate by praying, singing, body gestures like kneeling and standing, meditating, listening, and if you are not in a state of grace, participate in "spiritual communion": asking Jesus to come into your body and spirit so that you may live in him and he in you; that you may do his will and be a visible sign of his love (you can use your own words); and after mass, go and share the love of Christ with others in the way you live your life.

You might want to tell me the result.
Re: Which Church? by achi4u(m): 12:51am On Apr 27, 2012
italo:

Catholic! It is a good thing that your soul is yearning for fulfillment...but what kind of fulfillment.

If you want a 'fashionable Church', then I have no suggestions for you. I do not think that's the right reason to seek a "Church".

But if you want to improve your spirituality and faith, then I have one suggestion: STAY PUT!

Perhaps you might want to tell me a few things which might help me help you more.

Are you an actively practising Catholic? No, I guess.

By that I mean, do you participate in the Sacraments regularly? Are you Baptized? (If you are, you are born-again). Are you a communicant? Do you receive communion regularly? Do you go to confession? Are you confirmed? Etc. Do you go to mass every Sunday and on holy days of obligation? If you go, do you participate actively and consciously or do you just let the prayers, gestures, sermons etc fly by and then when Father says "the Mass is ended", you hurry home.

Catholic! Do you realize who you are? Whose body you are part of? Who we receive at mass? Do you want to be like the disciples who walked away from the body and blood of Christ in John 6?

But before I here from you, I have some advice to give.

Go to Mass as soon and regularly as possible. Let not your body alone be present, but your heart and mind too. Participate by praying, singing, body gestures like kneeling and standing, meditating, listening, and if you are not in a state of grace, participate in "spiritual communion": asking Jesus to come into your body and spirit so that you may live in him and he in you; that you may do his will and be a visible sign of his love (you can use your own words); and after mass, go and share the love of Christ with others in the way you live your life.

You might want to tell me the result.
some of the things you mentiond are what i've relegated to the background___like early morning mass,holy communion,kneeling or bowing befor the alter,rosary,reading the bible(bcause of NL),infact so many water has passed over the bridge and i realy want to 'fit in' again.Yet ever since my backsliding,GOD seems to be over blessing me thats why this questions.
leaving the catholic church is like bitting the finger that feed me,but i still have a choice to make either to remain or move to...

to none catholics,i only have one fear...
Re: Which Church? by italo: 2:40am On Apr 27, 2012
Do yourself and me a favour; HURRY TO MASS!

I just saw the gospel reading of yesterday:

John 6: 44 - 51
44No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him; and I will raise him up at the last day.
45It is written in the prophets, `And they shall all be taught by God.' Every one who has heard and learned from the Father comes to me.
46Not that any one has seen the Father except him who is from God; he has seen the Father.
47Truly, truly, I say to you, he who believes has eternal life.
48I am the bread of life.
49Your fathers ate the manna in the wilderness, and they died.
50This is the bread which comes down from heaven, that a man may eat of it and not die.
51I am the living bread which came down from heaven; if any one eats of this bread, he will live for ever; and the bread which I shall give for the life of the world is my flesh."

Listen to voice of the Lord. It is not a coincidence that this reading is centered around what I was saying to you. That living bread is waiting for you at the altar...

And for today's gospel reading:

John 6: 52 - 59
52The Jews then disputed among themselves, saying, "How can this man give us his flesh to eat?"
53So Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of man and drink his blood, you have no life in you;
54he who eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day.
55For my flesh is food indeed, and my blood is drink indeed.
56He who eats my flesh and drinks my blood abides in me, and I in him.
57As the living Father sent me, and I live because of the Father, so he who eats me will live because of me.
58This is the bread which came down from heaven, not such as the fathers ate and died; he who eats this bread will live for ever."
59This he said in the synagogue, as he taught at Caper'na-um.

Look how many times our Lord emphasizes it when the Jews doubted. He emphasizes it for you too.

Hurry to mass today and listen to these words and the sermon from the pulpit...

God hid in the appearance of man and many did not recognize him... He hides now in the appearance of bread and many do not recognize him. Do you?
Re: Which Church? by italo: 10:05am On Apr 27, 2012
ckkris: italo.
Paul was definitely in Rome in AD 60, in the middle of the 1st century, when Nero was Emperor, Acts 28:11-16. Paul's preaching, that of Apollos in Acts 18:28, was based entirely on the Mosaic Laws and the prophets, that is, Genesis to Malachi. Sir, you can now agree that it was not the Catholic Church that created these Scriptures. The Good News of Salvation through Christ Jesus, which brought Paul to Rome, was being proclaimed and documented by His followers, such as Luke, a Medical Doctor from Greece, Luke 1:1-3, Acts 1:1, Colossians 4:14. Take note Sir, that Paul enjoined the Colossians to read the letter to the Laodiceans, and vice versa, Colossians 4:16. In this manner the Gospels, the Epistles, and their Old Testament background, were being copied and circulated, IN THE 1st CENTURY, and not as late as the 4th century.

"In his Easter letter of 367, Athanasius, Bishop of Alexandria, gave a list of the books that would become the twenty-seven-book NT canon,[10] and he used the word "canonized" (kanonizomena) in regards to them.[11] The first council that accepted the present canon of the New Testament may have been the Synod of Hippo Regius in North Africa (AD 393); the acts of this council, however, are lost. A brief summary of the acts was read at and accepted by the Councils of Carthage in 397 and 419.[12] These councils were under the authority of St. Augustine, who regarded the canon as already closed.[13][14]Pope Damasus I's Council of Rome in 382, if the Decretum Gelasianum is correctly associated with it, issued a biblical canon identical to that mentioned above,[15] or, if not, the list is at least a 6th-century compilation.[16] Likewise, Damasus' commissioning of the Latin Vulgate edition of the Bible, c. 383, was instrumental in the fixation of the canon in the West.[17] In c. 405, Pope Innocent I sent a list of the sacred books to a Gallic bishop, Exsuperius of Toulouse. Christian scholars assert that, when these bishops and councils spoke on the matter, however, they were not defining something new but instead "were ratifying what had already become the mind of the Church."--Wikipedia.

By defining the canon of the new testament, the Catholic Church left out many book that were in circulation just like the one in today's NT. Books like "acts of Peter", "Acts of Paul", "the Didache", "Clement 1". Why do you not use these books today? Because the Catholic Church did not declare it as scripture.
Re: Which Church? by achi4u(m): 6:17am On Apr 28, 2012
italo: Do yourself and me a favour; HURRY TO MASS!

I just saw the gospel reading of yesterday:

John 6: 44 - 51
44No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him; and I will raise him up at the last day.
45It is written in the prophets, `And they shall all be taught by God.' Every one who has heard and learned from the Father comes to me.
46Not that any one has seen the Father except him who is from God; he has seen the Father.
47Truly, truly, I say to you, he who believes has eternal life.
48I am the bread of life.
49Your fathers ate the manna in the wilderness, and they died.
50This is the bread which comes down from heaven, that a man may eat of it and not die.
51I am the living bread which came down from heaven; if any one eats of this bread, he will live for ever; and the bread which I shall give for the life of the world is my flesh."

Listen to voice of the Lord. It is not a coincidence that this reading is centered around what I was saying to you. That living bread is waiting for you at the altar...

And for today's gospel reading:

John 6: 52 - 59
52The Jews then disputed among themselves, saying, "How can this man give us his flesh to eat?"
53So Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of man and drink his blood, you have no life in you;
54he who eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day.
55For my flesh is food indeed, and my blood is drink indeed.
56He who eats my flesh and drinks my blood abides in me, and I in him.
57As the living Father sent me, and I live because of the Father, so he who eats me will live because of me.
58This is the bread which came down from heaven, not such as the fathers ate and died; he who eats this bread will live for ever."
59This he said in the synagogue, as he taught at Caper'na-um.

Look how many times our Lord emphasizes it when the Jews doubted. He emphasizes it for you too.

Hurry to mass today and listen to these words and the sermon from the pulpit...

God hid in the appearance of man and many did not recognize him... He hides now in the appearance of bread and many do not recognize him. Do you?
agreed.
what of chaplet?
Re: Which Church? by italo: 7:49am On Apr 29, 2012
What about chaplet?

(1) (Reply)

Ahmadi Muslims In Pakistan Still Waiting For The Right To Worhsip As Muslims / Music: Obimo ~ Ayo Vincent | Prod By Frank Edwards / Holy Trinity Authority Prophetic Church Int,l

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.