Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,501 members, 7,812,548 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:10 PM

Quickbooks Network And Database Security Problem - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Quickbooks Network And Database Security Problem (1825 Views)

Network And Configure Thin Clients / Gns Ccna Security Problem / Ping Network And Telnet Network (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Quickbooks Network And Database Security Problem by bisifunke: 2:50pm On Nov 08, 2007
I have an existing structured network in my company. The Account Dept introduced software QuickBooks which will be installed in a pavilion HP server and 5 intending PC to be connected to it.

The issue is- Only the Acct. dept is authorized to have access to the database. How do I do the configuration? Create an Active directory? Which I only new little about ? OR ……. Gurus please help.
Re: Quickbooks Network And Database Security Problem by Maleeq(m): 3:41pm On Nov 08, 2007
Are you trying to restrict access to that server completely to those not in the Account Department? or do you just want to restrict access to the account software's database?

For the former, setting the users' access rights on the server would do the trick(assuming you have Active Directory up and running already). But for the latter case, I guess the account software has some sort of interface where you would be required to enter certain credentials(username and/or password) to gain access? Then, simply give/create user profiles for the account department's personnels.

If I am missing some information(which you did not clearly state), let me know.
Re: Quickbooks Network And Database Security Problem by bisifunke: 4:15pm On Nov 08, 2007
Maleeq u allready knw what i want my guru. I want to restrict the software to only Acct Dept.
How do I go If I decided to use Active directory.?
The software have user password and log in. Even with that how do i achiev that on the network. having created the username and password on the software ?
Re: Quickbooks Network And Database Security Problem by bisifunke: 1:10pm On Nov 09, 2007
Gurus pls contribute it is very urgent and i need it to keep my job ontop
Re: Quickbooks Network And Database Security Problem by Maleeq(m): 1:24pm On Nov 09, 2007
Sorry for not replying since yesterday. . .got some stuff on my mind here.

Well, the truth is, Quickbooks is not an everyday application everybody has experience on(atleast, I don't grin).
I understand what you are tryin to do but you have to understand that you need to provide more information:

1 - Is the application web-based or simply a desktop application.
2 - Does it natively support multi-user with simultaneous log in?

If you answer NO to #2, then its not possible to achieve what you want. Becos, only one of the intended 5 users would have access to the software no matter what you do!.

In short, read the manual of the application. If it has support for multi-user(client-server scenario), it's setup would be clearly stated. That way, user's you want to give access to would just be assigned a profile.

Otherwise, its going to be almost impractical to achieve what you desire.
Re: Quickbooks Network And Database Security Problem by temileke(m): 1:50pm On Nov 09, 2007
Yes, i agree with maleeq on the issue. I guess you have lately studied some stuff on Windows Server applications and you are looking for a way of promoting an active directory for the application.

1. If the accounting application is not a web based application and does not support client-server interface, then its a no go area.

What you wanted are:

a. Create active directory so that you can manage thier user accounts
b. Customise each user to a computer accounts
c. Grant permissions / access to users based on company's policy.
d. Probably thinking of backing up your database in case of crash etc.

For you to do this, ensure the program is a web based application and ensure it can work with windows server. if yes. then install the application in Win ser and grant the permission in active directory to only the selected accounts staff. so you can go on from there.

You need to get Win Server 2003 Enterprise edition. Its not cheap o! take good care
Re: Quickbooks Network And Database Security Problem by bisifunke: 4:03pm On Nov 09, 2007
Thanks Guys, Quickbooks support Multi-user and single user. It is compatible with windows. it is an application that is installed on a desktop pc. net a web base stuff.
Thanks Temileke those are the things I want to achieve How would I configure that having in my that i hve a network runing with dhcp server.
Re: Quickbooks Network And Database Security Problem by bisifunke: 10:52am On Nov 12, 2007
Guys I hope u hv a wonderful wkend. I need more contribution on this thread. enjoy!!!!!
Re: Quickbooks Network And Database Security Problem by Guardian(m): 12:31pm On Jul 23, 2008
Dear, so sorry u have been here so long with no positive solution, I came across your post by chance. Well, I have setup QuickBooks in difference environments and platforms, successfully.

If you need help setting up Quickbooks hala me here.

(1) (Reply)

Windows 10: Release Date, Price, News, Browser And Features / Nairaland Homepage Not Opening / Terrible Customer Service From Jumia- My Experience

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.