Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,751 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:10 AM

Help, My 1998 Camry Is Having Issues - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Help, My 1998 Camry Is Having Issues (3372 Views)

Pimping My 1998 Camry / Where Can I Scan My 1998 Toyota Camry / Jerking When Trying To Accelerate My 1998 Honda Accord (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help, My 1998 Camry Is Having Issues by Saintp(m): 1:00pm On Apr 24, 2012
Hi guys,
My 98 camry is having some problems i cant understand. Its acceleration from stop is poor. It does not fire more than 1500rpm even when you press the throttle to the ground.It only speeds normal on high gears.For example, when you are driving and stops, the fast initial acceleration is poor. when overtaking, it is difficult to pull out of danger because of its low speed. I have changed the gear oil cos i assumed the lower gears are not working well but no change. i am thinking of changing fuel and air filter. Dot know if this would work. Please experts, i need some analysis. Tanx.
Re: Help, My 1998 Camry Is Having Issues by Ikenna351(m): 1:44pm On Apr 24, 2012
The symptoms you described shows that the car hesitates on acceleration. Since the problem started, have you noticed any change in the mpg (Fuel consumption)? Does it emit black smoke from the exhaust tail when you accelerate? Does the car rough idle? Is the car's Air Flow meter still plugged in? In fact, have you checked to see if any or all the engine sensors wiring connectors are still well plugged in? What about engine vacuum lines? Have you checked for vacuum leak?

Simply, I would advice you go and scan the car. But it wouldnt hurt to check the basics yourself before going to through that money for scanning away. So, like I said, have you been experiencing poor fuel consumption since the problem started?

Ikenna.
Re: Help, My 1998 Camry Is Having Issues by gat2so(m): 2:30pm On Apr 24, 2012
Pls scan the car and know where the fault is from....and check properly the fuel pressure from the fuel pump ....but the best is thing to do is the scanning ....
Re: Help, My 1998 Camry Is Having Issues by Ikenna351(m): 4:05pm On Apr 24, 2012
gat2so: Pls scan the car and know where the fault is from....and check properly the fuel pressure from the fuel pump ....but the best is thing to do is the scanning ....

I would scan the car first, If I have the scanner. Otherwise, one doesnt have to run to workshops to pay & scan his car everytime the car starts misbehaving. There are simply checks one can do by himself which could point at the culprit & saves the person the money he would have wasted in scanning the car. If a fuse blow in a fuse box, you pay & scan the car to know if it was fuse that blown? If someone mistakenly unplug a sensor on engine & the car starts misbehaving, is it wise then to take the car for scanning, pay, before the scanner now show you an unplugged sensor you would have pushed back onto the sensor without scanning the car?

Troubleshooting a car should start with cost less diagnosis, before it gets to stage of spending, if necessary. Otherwise, purchase the scanner as a DIY tool in your house.

Ikenna.
Re: Help, My 1998 Camry Is Having Issues by Saintp(m): 10:19pm On Apr 24, 2012
@ Ikenna,
Thank you guys.As for fuel consumption,i ve not noticed any difference and its not emmitting black smoke. I want to be sure of areas to tell the mechanic for check so that he dosent make it worse. The idling is not rough though once in a while it appears rough. As for vacuum lines, plz how will it affcet the acceleration? Plz explain to me. Tanx
Re: Help, My 1998 Camry Is Having Issues by stepedie: 9:46am On Apr 25, 2012
Hello, looking at the trend of this problem i would advice you check your plugs and be sure thy are all fine cos i facd same thing when i travelled to ilorin with my 99 camry...It started jerking immediately i got to berger on my way back and it was found to be plug misfire.
Should incase you rally need the car scanner device have got some in stock for sale...You can contact me on 08028290680...Cheers
Re: Help, My 1998 Camry Is Having Issues by Ikenna351(m): 10:47am On Apr 25, 2012
If you are saying your car is not running very thirsty, with the loss of power issue & that the engine doesnt rough idle, then your AFM should be ok. If its spark plug lead issue, your engine would not only be rough idling, but also be misfiring. The whole front end would be vibrating, if not the whole body, when you try to accelerate from a stop.

Hope no one has unplugged or tampered with the TPS (throttle Position Sensor)? It gives such symptoms if faulty or unplugged. The sensor is on the throttle body. It has 3 wires plugged in. I believe yours is potentionmeter type.

Have you checked if all vacuum lines are well plugged-in in their holes? Also have you checked if any is leaking? If any is leaking, listen you will hear hissing sound from the leak spot when engine is idling. Or you can spray carburretor cleaner on the vacuum lines, gradually, when engine is idling. If there is a leak, the leak spot will absorb the fluid & the engine sound will change or go up as soon as it does that (i.e. as soon as you spray on the spot that is leaking). But to do this, you must wait till engine is cold or do it in the morning. Carb cleaner is an explosive & can set fire on the engine if sprayed when engine is very hot. Be cautioned!

I dont know about Toyota auto transmission set up. But i know that Peugeot auto trannies do have "kick-down cable". and if its wrongly adjusted or disconnected, the transmission will start giving you such symptom(s).

If you know you cant deal with all I mentioned above, then you have no option than to scan the car.

Ikenna.
Re: Help, My 1998 Camry Is Having Issues by Saintp(m): 11:51am On Apr 25, 2012
Thanks Ikenna, i will get back to you

(1) (Reply)

Innoson Auto Manufacturing Commences Export Of Suv's, Pick Up Vans & Buses / 03-07 Honda Accord Coupe And 03-07 Toyota Solara / Are Skoda Cars Reliable?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.