Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,802 members, 7,817,332 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:24 AM

Nigerian Police And Bribe Taking - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Nigerian Police And Bribe Taking (593 Views)

2016 Nigerian Police Recruitment Form - All Required Documents - A Must Read! / Enlisting In The Nigerian Police Force As A Graduate. / Nigerian Police Force Recruitment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Police And Bribe Taking by Engineer96(m): 8:36pm On Apr 24, 2012
I went to relief market, Onitsha, to buy sourvenir for my wedding.
After the purchases, I loadede it in an open roof tricycle. I sat beside the rider. We passed through Upper Iweka, Oguta road and on getting to Central Police Station CPS, Onitsha, we were stopped by some policemen who demanded for the invoice which I gave them. They requested for the driver's licence which the driver gave to them.
When they saw that there was no way to get money, which they wanted, from us, they said it was an offence for me to have joined the tricycle. That I should have hired a taxi to convey me home while the open-roofed tricycle carries the goods that I bought. I quarrelled with them and I called an officer there who told them to let me go.
Two days later, after my wedding, I went to the same CPS, Onitsha to see a family friend around 7.30pm. Lo and behold, a man who has been made naked, in search of money in his pocket, by the police and after being beaten. His offence was that they demanded for some money which the okada rider could not provide. He told them that he has been at the mechanic since morning and he just came out to get money for his children's dinner.
My wife started shedding tears after witnessing the whole incident.
One of the policemen told the man before me that if he(the okada rider) touches his motorcycle again, he(the policeman) will kill him and nothing would happen.
When will the bribe taking by Nigerian police stop?
Are nigerian police not paid?
Are to protecting us or exploiting us?
Are not aware of what their duties and responsibilities are?

(1) (Reply)

Account/client Offficers Wanted At Intrum Grids Limited / HSE Instructors/advisers Urgently Required / Real Estate Marketers Needed-call 08037596448

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.