Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,679 members, 7,820,379 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:56 PM

Urgent Advice On Career And Business - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Urgent Advice On Career And Business (538 Views)

Five Lies That Could Be Ruining Your Career (and Your Life) / Wealth Principles And Business Quotes! / Difference Between 'Feasibility Study' And 'Business Plan'? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Urgent Advice On Career And Business by Ggmoney: 9:17pm On Apr 29, 2012
I have just finished studying catering and it seems being a caterer in Nigeria does not give you an edge in the economy. I want to study abroad but the money involved is too much, the question is: after paying the huge sum studying abroad, will i get a job that can compliment/supplement the money i spent studying abroad? we are talking about at least $59,000 every year for 4yrs of study. will it be better to sart up business or further my education?
pls ppl, kindly advice.
Thanks.
Re: Urgent Advice On Career And Business by RKtoyosi: 12:14pm On Apr 30, 2012
From what i know here in the UK...now, is not a good time to invest in studing towards any career.why most often us confuse ourselves with what we want out of pressure that is not essential; education is very important,but at what price are you willing to achieve it. you have learned a cathering skill that you could utilise to a profitable level, start a business that can generate an income for you. look around for a good private university and study whilst you run your business in Nigeria,at the end of your career,you would have been able to save and grow with your business. You would also be able to put into practise what you learnt towards your career,no knowledge would be lost.

In the UK or in any foreign country,you have to consider a lot of factors in your first year of studies; accomodation,transportation and feeding allowance. If you can afford all these and still have something left to carry you on till the end of your course; then you are lucky. Most of these countries are not giving allowances to student to work whilst they study anymore( hence you won't be able to save at all esp. in the UK).

You also need to draw out what you want out of life and check properly before making any decisions or commitments. With God all things are possible..wish u all d best.
Re: Urgent Advice On Career And Business by maclatunji: 1:40pm On Apr 30, 2012
RK.toyosi:

From what i know here in the UK...now, is not a good time to invest in studing towards any career.why most often us confuse ourselves with what we want out of pressure that is not essential; education is very important,but at what price are you willing to achieve it. you have learned a cathering skill that you could utilise to a profitable level, start a business that can generate an income for you. look around for a good private university and study whilst you run your business in Nigeria,at the end of your career,you would have been able to save and grow with your business. You would also be able to put into practise what you learnt towards your career,no knowledge would be lost.

In the UK or in any foreign country,you have to consider a lot of factors in your first year of studies; accomodation,transportation and feeding allowance. If you can afford all these and still have something left to carry you on till the end of your course; then you are lucky. Most of these countries are not giving allowances to student to work whilst they study anymore( hence you won't be able to save at all esp. in the UK).

You also need to draw out what you want out of life and check properly before making any decisions or commitments. With God all things are possible..wish u all d best.

OP, this is the best advice you will receive here. The only thing I will add is that it is not compulsory that you must go to a private university. A good public university will also serve the purpose. In addition, you can try your hands on professional exams since you seem to be a mature individual.
Re: Urgent Advice On Career And Business by Ggmoney: 6:12am On May 01, 2012
@RK.toyosa
I really appreciate your advices but with the education system in Nigeria where it is rare for students to come out with 1st Class certificate is a killer already and coupled with the fact that even those that try to come out wth good results are unable to defend their certificates. Talking about starting up a business that can yied profit, where in Nigeria is good for one to invest on Business? Lagos, POrthacourt or Abuja? could you please recommend a University.
As you may know, your advices are really important to me.
Regards.
Re: Urgent Advice On Career And Business by RKtoyosi: 6:32am On May 01, 2012
I really don't know much about the private universities in Nigeria...there's no place in Naija where Food Business is not wanted..you will need to make your research base on the capital you have to start the business and also find a situable location.wishing u all d best.

(1) (Reply)

Grand Plan, A New Business / What A Business Proposal Is Not / Usa Huggies Diapers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.