Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,608 members, 7,770,609 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 12:03 PM

Please I Need Help With A Shipping Agent In Maryland USA. - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Please I Need Help With A Shipping Agent In Maryland USA. (7336 Views)

Who Knows A Credible Shipping Agent In Ontario Canada? / Shipping Agent From Atlanta To Lagos Needed / Can Anyone Guide Thru Starting A Shipping Company. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please I Need Help With A Shipping Agent In Maryland USA. by Arlington(f): 3:17am On May 01, 2012
Hello all,
Please I need help finding a good shipping agent in Maryland USA . I am new to buying of cars to send to Nigeria. I have used the same shipping agent( Nigerian) 3 times and each time there is always some sort of long delay is this normal?
I go with RORO and was informed it is not really straight forward as it is only when there is a ship avaialble/space that it will get loaded.
I pay $985 is this the range?I wait for almost 5 weeks before the car is shipped then I have to hound them with phone calls before they can tell me if the car has left.
Please someone tell me if this is the process so I stop disturbing them and just wait it out, or I should start looking for a new agent.If you have any agent that you have used and that is relaible i would love to know as well.
Thank you.
Re: Please I Need Help With A Shipping Agent In Maryland USA. by Nobody: 3:33am On May 01, 2012
Everything you've said is normal when you ship Ro/Ro. It is when the vessels have space that your cars get loaded. The normal wait time is between 45-60 days before your cars get on the vessel. Don't let anyone decieve you that there is fast way to get your cars to Lagos. The fastest you can get is 40 days. The cost of shipping the car from Maryland, New Jersey, and New York is between $1000 and $1500; depending if you are using Grimaldi, Sallum Group, and other shipping lines.

Beleive it or not, it is the process that everyone have to go through to get the cars to Lagos. Those your agents are not decieving you at all. There are thousands of cars going to the ports across Northaest America everyday with their destinations being African cities like Lagos, Accra, Kumasi, Bamako, Cotonou, Lome, Douala, Adis Abbaba and many others.

1 Like

Re: Please I Need Help With A Shipping Agent In Maryland USA. by Arlington(f): 4:02am On May 01, 2012
Thank you Payless i really appreciate it.
Re: Please I Need Help With A Shipping Agent In Maryland USA. by Nobody: 4:13am On May 01, 2012
Arlington: Thank you Payless i really appreciate it.

You're welcome, sir!
Re: Please I Need Help With A Shipping Agent In Maryland USA. by BizBooks(m): 5:19am On May 01, 2012
45 - 60 days is a long time to wait for your car to get on a
vessel. I wouldn't work with an agent that gives such a time frame.
Shipping companies have what they call "cut off" dates. If you bring
your car before the "cut off" date, it will most likely get on the vessel.
For instance, if the "cut off date" is 5th May and you bring your car on
1st May, it will get on the vessel and will leave a few days after 5th May.
So that's much less than 45 days, though the "cut off" is sometimes moved
forward if they do not have enough load for the vessel.

The best thing is to be your own shipping agent. I have been doing that for
a few years now both for cars and containers. Below is a portion of an internet
article I wrote on the subject:

SUMMARY (SHIPPING A CAR BY YOURSELF)

1. Find a shipping broker e.g. Sallaum Group (703 726-2516)
2. Get their application form called Dock Receipt
3. Complete the dock receipt and fax or email it to the shipping broker
4. The broker will process and send it back to you in 1 - 2 days.
5. Make 6 copies of the dock receipt and 6 copies of the car title front and back
6. Take your car and paper work to the Port
7. The Port staff will give you a receipt confirming that your car was accepted for shipping
8. The broker then sends you a bill for the shipping (Sallaum Group charges $850 for cars and $1100 for regular SUVs, as from January, 2012)
9. Once you make payment, they will mail your bill of lading to you
10. Make a copy of the bill of lading and send the originals immediately to your clearing agent preferably by courier.
11. Your clearing agent clears the car from the Port
12. This whole process may take up to 3 months.

P.S: Instead of a Social Security Number, the US Customs now require a
Tax ID to ship a car. So you will need a Tax ID if you plan to ship your
car by yourself. If you are shipping through an agent, you don't have to
worry about that.
Re: Please I Need Help With A Shipping Agent In Maryland USA. by Nobody: 6:00am On May 01, 2012
No matter how you do it, the process still takes at least two months to Lagos at the earliest.
Re: Please I Need Help With A Shipping Agent In Maryland USA. by BizBooks(m): 11:45am On May 01, 2012
payless: No matter how you do it, the process still takes at least two months to Lagos at the earliest.

Getting a car from the US to Lagos in 2 months is fine. But I was responding to this portion of your statement "The normal wait time is between 45-60 days before your cars get on the vessel.". That is an un-usually high wait time to get on a vessel unless you meant to say "before your car gets to Lagos".
Re: Please I Need Help With A Shipping Agent In Maryland USA. by acl200(m): 1:01pm On May 01, 2012
Hello I have a solution for you here: contact Dorreen her office is at MaryLand and let her know that you from Abiodun (AcL)
Doreen Oloo-Dale
Promise Lines, Inc (PLI) |Tel: 301-778-3220| Fax: 855-545-3754
Doreen@promiselines.com | www.promiselines.com
feedback@promiselines.com
Re: Please I Need Help With A Shipping Agent In Maryland USA. by calculusx(m): 9:35pm On May 01, 2012
Arlington: Hello all,
Please I need help finding a good shipping agent in Maryland USA . I am new to buying of cars to send to Nigeria. I have used the same shipping agent( Nigerian) 3 times and each time there is always some sort of long delay is this normal?
I go with RORO and was informed it is not really straight forward as it is only when there is a ship avaialble/space that it will get loaded.
I pay $985 is this the range?I wait for almost 5 weeks before the car is shipped then I have to hound them with phone calls before they can tell me if the car has left.
Please someone tell me if this is the process so I stop disturbing them and just wait it out, or I should start looking for a new agent.If you have any agent that you have used and that is relaible i would love to know as well.
Thank you.

you are already on the right track, don't derail.
Re: Please I Need Help With A Shipping Agent In Maryland USA. by USAutoBuy(m): 12:55am On May 02, 2012
[b]Hi,

Just to add a little to it. The price range is fine. However the wait time is my issue. For ports like Baltimore, the wait time to get loaded is roughly 2-3 weeks after you deliver the car to the port. This is the time that it takes the car to clear customs before getting the green light to leave. New York /New Jersey port can take like 4 weeks while Jacksonville takes like 1 week thereabout.

If i am not mistaken (i stand to be corrected)All vehicles booked by any agent will have to be pre-paid by your agent to Grimaldi before allowed to sail. That means, your agent will either have to either pay partial / full for the cargo to Grimaldi before getting a space.

The delay might be occurring if your agent is not bouyant enough to pay all booked cargos at once. That means he waits to collect on one before paying others. That is a possibility.

It also makes a difference if your agent is the direct contract agent with Grimaldi or not. Most "AGENTS" are just sub - sub contractors. And where that makes a difference is when there are issues that arises. Your "agent" cannot call Grimaldi directly to iron things out.

If you are not happy with your agent, you can give Express Shipping International (410-576-8216) a try. Speak with Bonita. They are GOOD people.

Good luck out there.[/b]
Re: Please I Need Help With A Shipping Agent In Maryland USA. by Fhemmmy: 2:37am On May 02, 2012
Most of the delay that payless was talking about has to do with Grimaldi, and it is all cos of the customs procedure . . . which could be as much as 3 weeks, depending on the port of departure.

A lot of agents for Grimaldi do not go with Cut off date and that has always been my problem with them . . . . I only use them for newer model of ride cos of their cost of clearing at the terminals in Lagos.
Re: Please I Need Help With A Shipping Agent In Maryland USA. by calculusx(m): 9:06am On May 02, 2012
Fhemmmy: Most of the delay that payless was talking about has to do with Grimaldi, and it is all cos of the customs procedure . . . which could be as much as 3 weeks, depending on the port of departure.

A lot of agents for Grimaldi do not go with Cut off date and that has always been my problem with them . . . . I only use them for newer model of ride cos of their cost of clearing at the terminals in Lagos.

You just hit the nail on the head. Cleared 08 Toyota Highlander for 1,150,000 via AES and the same unit will cost 550k via Grimaldi. You can imagine the difference.
Re: Please I Need Help With A Shipping Agent In Maryland USA. by Fhemmmy: 1:23pm On May 02, 2012
calculusx:

You just hit the nail on the head. Cleared 08 Toyota Highlander for 1,150,000 via AES and the same unit will cost 550k via Grimaldi. You can imagine the difference.

I believe you and i wonder why such difference in pricing for the clearing . . .
Have you ever tried to do a telex with Grimaldi? . . . Their rate for such is ridiculous
Re: Please I Need Help With A Shipping Agent In Maryland USA. by emperorubb: 7:29pm On Jul 06, 2012
For all of your shipments to Nigeria... the BEST (and I mean, THE BEST!!! grin) company to use for shipments to Nigeria hands down is Ship Afrika. Book online via their website and stay in control of your shipment. They move very quickly and will deliver if you request. Definitely check them out! www.shipafrika.com
Re: Please I Need Help With A Shipping Agent In Maryland USA. by pastorbanky: 4:03am On Jul 29, 2012
you can use this company they are reliable, totalgoodies llc there no is 2407654722 they will help you in shipping all your stuffs to lagos.
Re: Please I Need Help With A Shipping Agent In Maryland USA. by jejemor: 1:04pm On Aug 05, 2012
My names are Olaniyan Jide Muri, A clearing and forwarding Agent(Freight Forwarder)at Tincan/Apapa Port.NPA Commercial Building,National Tincan/Apapa Lagos.If you have any consignments/goods coming for you from abroad such as New or used Cars, Trucks, Buses, Vehicles, or Containers,personal effect E.T.C.Here are my Tel num (08023996584/017344652 PIN 2a023553)Email Address jejemor2002@yahoo.com.

NOTE:Do let me know the shipping line you make use of,i will work for you effectively.A TRIAL WILL CONVINCE YOU.
Re: Please I Need Help With A Shipping Agent In Maryland USA. by pastorbanky: 9:21pm On Aug 05, 2012
if u need a good shipping agency call this company totalgoodies llc there no is 2407654722 and u will be glad u did.
Re: Please I Need Help With A Shipping Agent In Maryland USA. by pastorbanky: 9:22pm On Aug 05, 2012
they are base in maryland .
Re: Please I Need Help With A Shipping Agent In Maryland USA. by emperorubb: 5:00am On Aug 27, 2012
The only place you can ship, track, and manage your load online is www.shipafrika.com. There's no other company that allows you to have control of your items and ship at very cheap rates. Definitely check them out. Highly recommended. Here's a pic from their ad i saw..

Re: Please I Need Help With A Shipping Agent In Maryland USA. by sonety2k(m): 8:19am On Feb 01, 2013
cool
Re: Please I Need Help With A Shipping Agent In Maryland USA. by BrianMitchell: 9:50am On Mar 18, 2013
Well, there are number of agents providing the shipping facility. If not than go for the online reviews shared by the customers it will definitely helps for getting best services. Thanks!!
Re: Please I Need Help With A Shipping Agent In Maryland USA. by enilowo(m): 1:12pm On Sep 24, 2013
I bought a car from Maryland in USA. The car has left on Grande gabon since last week Monday and will be due in Lagos by 5/6 October, but uptill now my contact person in USA is yet to get my BOL for me. He keep telling me different stories is this normal? Please help as i am scared of demourage.
Re: Please I Need Help With A Shipping Agent In Maryland USA. by USAutoBuy(m): 5:26pm On Sep 24, 2013
enilowo: I bought a car from Maryland in USA. The car has left on Grande gabon since last week Monday and will be due in Lagos by 5/6 October, but uptill now my contact person in USA is yet to get my BOL for me. He keep telling me different stories is this normal? Please help as i am scared of demourage.

Do you have a copy of the BOL? The original should have been ready by now. All your contact have to do is pay for it, receive it and send to you

Good luck
Re: Please I Need Help With A Shipping Agent In Maryland USA. by tmotmo: 10:04pm On Sep 24, 2013
US-AutoBuy:

Do you have a copy of the BOL? The original should have been ready by now. All your contact have to do is pay for it, receive it and send to you

Good luck

Please i need your clarification. After paying for the shipping cost, does the USA contact person has to pay before collecting BOL from the shipping company again? And if yes, like how much?
Will appreciate your timely response.

Thank you.
Re: Please I Need Help With A Shipping Agent In Maryland USA. by USAutoBuy(m): 10:27pm On Sep 24, 2013
tmotmo:

Please i need your clarification. After paying for the shipping cost, does the USA contact person has to pay before collecting BOL from the shipping company again? And if yes, like how much?
Will appreciate your timely response.

Thank you.

Shipping process is simple:

When a vehicle is booked for shipping. it will be delivered to the port. It then sail after about 2-4 weeks of arrival at the port (sailing times varies depending on several factors). After it sails, the shipping company will notify the owner of the vehicle (via the booking agent) that vehicle is on board. Shipping company issues a copy of the BOL as a proof of sailing.

The owner of the vehicle will the pay for the freight and collect original BOL which will be needed in Nigeria to clear vehicle. Shipping costs varies depending of steamline or agents booking the freight.

Regards
Re: Please I Need Help With A Shipping Agent In Maryland USA. by tmotmo: 10:52pm On Sep 24, 2013
US-AutoBuy:

Shipping process is simple:

When a vehicle is booked for shipping. it will be delivered to the port. It then sail after about 2-4 weeks of arrival at the port (sailing times varies depending on several factors). After it sails, the shipping company will notify the owner of the vehicle (via the booking agent) that vehicle is on board. Shipping company issues a copy of the BOL as a proof of sailing.

The owner of the vehicle will the pay for the freight and collect original BOL which will be needed in Nigeria to clear vehicle. Shipping costs varies depending of steamline or agents booking the freight.

Regards
Thanks
Re: Please I Need Help With A Shipping Agent In Maryland USA. by joxiri: 3:55pm On Jan 14, 2015
Pretty please
Does any one know a shipping agent that ships from Atlanta to lagos using Grimaldi shipping line
Re: Please I Need Help With A Shipping Agent In Maryland USA. by USAutoBuy(m): 6:47pm On Jan 14, 2015
joxiri:
Pretty please
Does any one know a shipping agent that ships from Atlanta to lagos using Grimaldi shipping line

What type of vehicle are you shipping? I can ship for you

Regards
Re: Please I Need Help With A Shipping Agent In Maryland USA. by joxiri: 11:13am On Jan 18, 2015
USAutoBuy:

What type of vehicle are you shipping? I can ship for you

Regards

It's a car
Are you based in Atlanta?
Re: Please I Need Help With A Shipping Agent In Maryland USA. by USAutoBuy(m): 12:22pm On Jan 18, 2015
joxiri:

It's a car
Are you based in Atlanta?

Based in Jacksonville.

I can pick up for you and ship to Lagos for $1,400

Send me email : kunleautos(at)yahoo.com

(1) (Reply)

Available cars in PORTHARCOURT (naija Used/toks)call John 08067880681 / CLEAN 2009 TUNDRA LIMITED 13.2M LAST!!! / SOLD OUT Chevrolet Camaro Tokunbo@12m In Ibadan 08088525399

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.