Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,699 members, 7,820,438 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:48 PM

Is Life Really Better Abroad? - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Is Life Really Better Abroad? (43879 Views)

Are Nigerians Abroad Really Better off Than Their Home Based Counterparts? / Are Nigerians Abroad Really Better Than Their Home Based Counterpart / What Is Life Like As An Illegal Immigrant In Europe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by OldGlory1(m): 11:32pm On May 05, 2006
@Zionchic

Well then Zion i think you should go back and educate Nigerians on why it is a bad idea to go to the US, just like you did. And Please remember to tell them you have gained all these skills as a computer progammer and you are here in the country(Nigeria) for good. Tell them also that America is Bad and not for everyone, and that they need not waste their time in the US justlike you did. Progammers and Doctors are in high demand and are good paying jobs in Nigeria. You will be in Immediate demand. Tell are brothers and sisters back home to boycott the US and British embassies, it is a fool's paradise. Then after that tell them how bad America is and give them reasons to rethink thier trips. Tell them to learn from your mistakes.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by zionchic(f): 11:56pm On May 05, 2006
@ old glory

you really do crack mii up. well let it stay as it is. can we move on now!!
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by beyonce1(f): 2:43am On May 06, 2006
@Akolawole, @Gidig and  @Iyke-D, @zionchic, @Hotstepper I dough my hat for u guys you're da MEN kiss!

Not many people have a dream of discovering who they are, if an individual puts all d efforts and makes it a foreign land he'll surely EXCEL in multiples in his OWN country if he's truly success driven.

Many people have wasted money that they can actually use to invest in a small business on VISAS,  an amount of 350,000 plus ticket cost  all amounting to about 500,000 could get you somewhere back home. some do not see themselves in such calling them small business or simply because they r impatient.  but of course compare being your own boss and going abroad to also hustle, compromise your confidence by starting off doing some dirty jobs.

Going through this thread, I was able to deduce the fact that really and trully not Everyone aspires to b a LEADER, people don't mind SERVING others for the rest of their lives  cry

You people living abroad why can't u simply tell the truth about what we r all going through here? for God's sake if u can afford a GOOD education abroad , u would definitely  back home, also healthwise I live in the U.K do u know how much we pay for national insurance monthly and yet when you're ill u go to d G.P and you're embarrassing told to go home and take lots of water ? while they concentrate more on the emergency patients, do u consider how long you wait on the NHS list before you are attended to ? sometimes you're get frustrated to go private even after the NI contribution if u can afford this yes u can back home in niger !
I am an accountant and @TWINKLEDEW Who on earth told you that u can claim your tax back in the U.K? for God's sake u can only do this when u have been out of job for sometime and then u get a credit on your salary  and it doesn't make a difference because u were actually OUT OF JOB! . The more you earn d more u pay remember so matter how hard u try to maximise your salary u end up paying a higher tax up to 40% To take care of other lazy unemployed british who live off benefits!

and,,,,,, from my survey the people who are screaming about better life abroad have only just left Naija probably not more than 3-5yrs . Believe me when you get to the peak then you really understand that you're meant to eat the fruits of your own labour and not enslave yourself  or limit your capabilities.

Yes , I am planning to go back and I strongly believe, I will be better off being the EMPLOYER , paying other people at my business and also helping out within my HOUSEHOLD ! We do not get these LUXURY here do we  wink?

and I will be looking out to say hi to u people who want to stay and looking forward to their pension b4 they start living good life shocked When I come shopping at SELFRIGES AND HARRODS during summer holidays while you are busy operating the tills or better still window shopping ! wink
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by zeb(m): 3:23am On May 06, 2006
@zionchic, I don't mean any disrespect.

I think you should go back home as soon as possible.
Go and help Nigeria we need people like you to develop this country.

Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by zionchic(f): 3:36am On May 06, 2006
@ beyonce1

kudos sis, i wasn't going to say any more on this issue because i noticed it was going to be an endless battle but i had to show my respect on that.

just like you said, all i plead with my buddies out here for is sincerity, tell them as it is don't say because you decided to end your carrer and only work for the sake of working, life is better, face reality and accept the fact that if you were given a better option you would embrace it.

like i have been screaming those who don't have choices keep doing your thing but aspire greater don't get stuck on the mentality the westerner is better than you, we all have blood running in our veins abeg!

invest with the future generation in mind, successful western countries are the way they are today because their fore fathers took it upon themselves to build their nation let's hush on what nigeria is now and let's do our best to make it a better place for our kids (no one should come back with go and do it, because i'm doing my PART)
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by Akolawole(m): 12:23pm On May 06, 2006
beyonce1:

@Akolawole, @Gidig and @Iyke-D, @zionchic, @Hotstepper I dough my hat for u guys you're da MEN kiss!

Not many people have a dream of discovering who they are, if an individual puts all d efforts and makes it a foreign land he'll surely EXCEL in multiples in his OWN country if he's truly success driven.

Many people have wasted money that they can actually use to invest in a small business on VISAS, an amount of 350,000 plus ticket cost all amounting to about 500,000 could get you somewhere back home. some do not see themselves in such calling them small business or simply because they r impatient. but of course compare being your own boss and going abroad to also hustle, compromise your confidence by starting off doing some dirty jobs.

Going through this thread, I was able to deduce the fact that really and trully not Everyone aspires to b a LEADER, people don't mind SERVING others for the rest of their lives cry

You people living abroad why can't u simply tell the truth about what we r all going through here? for God's sake if u can afford a GOOD education abroad , u would definitely back home, also healthwise I live in the U.K do u know how much we pay for national insurance monthly and yet when you're ill u go to d G.P and you're embarrassing told to go home and take lots of water ? while they concentrate more on the emergency patients, do u consider how long you wait on the NHS list before you are attended to ? sometimes you're get frustrated to go private even after the NI contribution if u can afford this yes u can back home in niger !
I am an accountant and @TWINKLEDEW Who on earth told you that u can claim your tax back in the U.K? for God's sake u can only do this when u have been out of job for sometime and then u get a credit on your salary and it doesn't make a difference because u were actually OUT OF JOB! . The more you earn d more u pay remember so matter how hard u try to maximise your salary u end up paying a higher tax up to 40% To take care of other lazy unemployed british who live off benefits!

and,,,,,, from my survey the people who are screaming about better life abroad have only just left Naija probably not more than 3-5yrs . Believe me when you get to the peak then you really understand that you're meant to eat the fruits of your own labour and not enslave yourself or limit your capabilities.

Yes , I am planning to go back and I strongly believe, I will be better off being the EMPLOYER , paying other people at my business and also helping out within my HOUSEHOLD ! We do not get these LUXURY here do we wink?

and I will be looking out to say hi to u people who want to stay and looking forward to their pension before they start living good life shocked When I come shopping at SELFRIGES AND HARRODS during summer holidays while you are busy operating the tills or better still window shopping ! wink

Thank you so much for your analysis.

Thats exactly UK version.

I was unable to write a lot here because i will be compelled to be using close relative's and my own experience and in Nairaland, its unfortunate i am using my proper name and you know Nairaland is growing sporadically.

There was a time one member is calling £250 a chicken change, i laughed because he has not been to UK, where Tony Blair, Jay-Jay Okocha can not even call the amount a chicken change.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by OldGlory1(m): 3:59pm On May 06, 2006
@Zionchic

How are you doing your part?

@Beyonce
I am telling the truth about the USA, I really Like it here a lot. I love my Job,my home, my life. I will not be a Hypocrite and say one thing and then do another. Anybody that is not being sincere, should simply go back home and make room for others that want to come. Beyunce your post claims that you have been in the UK for more than 5YRS right? Now i am sure you know that you will do better as an accountant in Nigeria than in the UK, i think it is a mistake to continue to remain in the UK and deprive poor Nigerians of your Knowledge in this complex field. Please note that the Nigerian Government need accountants and are paying up to Naira 50,000 per month. Please go back and fill a need. Be Patriotic.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by Akolawole(m): 4:26pm On May 06, 2006
Old Glory:

Now i am sure you know that you will do better as an accountant in Nigeria than in the UK, i think it is a mistake to continue to remain in the UK and deprive poor Nigerians of your Knowledge in this complex field. Please note that the Nigerian Government need accountants and are paying up to Naira 50,000 per month. Please go back and fill a need. Be Patriotic.

I dont think she needs your advice.

Note: some people live in abroad and yet they are not fulfilled but cannnot go back home presently probably because they are at the middle of their education, practical trainning et la.

Some have make the mistake of travelling abroad and just want to gather some amount to make up for their lost years.

There is one of our members here who blaf about his american citizenship, i laughed it off because the "proper" citizens know themselves.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by OldGlory1(m): 4:54pm On May 06, 2006
@Akolowale

There are people who live in Nigeria and are not fulfilled and think they can do better and want to leave Nigeria. My point is that many people complain and do not even try to leave the west. At least in Nigeria, people complain and make an effort to leave. These people here will tell you not to come that it is so hard, but they hardly ever go back home and will never leave for good.

If the UK/US is so bad, why does anyone want to come and spend all these Millions of Naira to get a degree? When they can school in Nigeria for less than 2% of that cost. She can take my advice, move home and make it a better place.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by gidig(m): 8:11pm On May 06, 2006
Thanks Beyonce for your contributions.LIke Zionchic, I thought my that was my last post cos we will go on and on and on, You wrote something that is remarkable and it is at the root of this whole argument:what are our goals in life?If life presents challenge before us,what do we do? How do we define 'the life'? What are the greatest accomplishments we will be remembered for?

Wherever we may be living and whatever opinions we hold,these questions are shaping those responses.There are just people for whom life is much more thn sound infrastructure.Something within them cries for more;there is a sense of an assigment-a destiny.It cant boxed down to a location or even be argued on a forum.

Let every person be fully persuaded!
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by Ndipe(m): 11:11pm On May 06, 2006
Life may be better abroad, but remember that we pay taxes to support the governmental programs. Not that I am complaining, infact, I am grateful that my taxes are used for a worthwhile purpose. Back in Naija, I doubt if the same situation would have arisen. yeah, community colleges may be affordable, and we have an abundant sunshine, but the cost of living here is definitely high. Factor in the more than 3k monthly mortgage and you will get my drift. However, you are guaranteed a paycheck every week or two weeks, no matter what, and your paycheck can afford your basic needs.

But for those who think that yankee is blissful, dont forget that they are homeless people in the society. Some people become homeless not because of choice, but for a variety of factors like divorce, or even the loss of a job. After 6 months of unemployment benefits, you are done for, unless you qualify for extenision. By then, you need a job. The landlord wont accept your excuse of not having rent, 'because you lost your job'. All what they would do is to call the cops and evict you out of your place.

So, my Nigerian brothers and sisters, if you are living a comfortable life in Nigeria, please dont throw that away in the name of coming to Yankee. You may regret it. As a matter of fact, I think some Nigerians have wisened up lately and realized that living abroad sometimes can be more challenging than living back home.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by sage(m): 11:36pm On May 06, 2006
@Old Glory

I feel u men. Anybody that finds life more intresting in naija should pack and go back and live a 'fufilled' life and leave those of us living an 'unfufilled life' in the west alone. ironically, hardly anybody would do that.

Il rather be paying taxes and bills and have cold and hot water flow into my bathtub 2/4, have standardized roads, security and law and order, electricity than not get those services and not pay.

BANKERS IN NAIJA WORK FROM 7 AM TO 10 PM AND GET 60,000 NAIRA AT THE END OF THE MONTH, THE SAME AMUOUNT A STUDENT
HERE GETS IN LESS THAN A WEEK.

Seeun where is Kokscity?
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by OldGlory1(m): 12:00am On May 07, 2006
Sage

I feel you men. People complain here in the west, but will never leave. People in Nigeria complain and will pay with their lives(Drowning of the coast of Spain) to get out. Yet all these people that say it is hard here, will never give up their space for someone else to replace them if asked. How come once Nigerians come and get settled, they immediately start filing paperwork for their relatives to come over? It is hypocrisy at it best.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by beyonce1(f): 2:52am On May 07, 2006
Old Glory:

@Zionchic

How are you doing your part?

@Beyonce
I am telling the truth about the USA, I really Like it here a lot. I love my Job,my home, my life. I will not be a Hypocrite and say one thing and then do another. Anybody that is not being sincere, should simply go back home and make room for others that want to come. Beyunce your post claims that you have been in the UK for more than 5YRS right? Now i am sure you know that you will do better as an accountant in Nigeria than in the UK, i think it is a mistake to continue to remain in the UK and deprive poor Nigerians of your Knowledge in this complex field. Please note that the Nigerian Government need accountants and are paying up to Naira 50,000 per month. Please go back and fill a need. Be Patriotic.

Thanx so much Akolawole wink

and,,, @OLDGLORY U Seem to be getting it all wrong in the the first instance I am not an economic MIGRANT, which pointed to the fact that I lived a good life back back home b4 coming here and I certainly know the difference don't get it all wrong again I wasn't born of a silver spoon nor I'm I related to any politician in any way but anyhow it is HOME and will always be HOME ! u cannot bring in a Nigerian corn plant it abroad and surely forget it's true source.

I sure do not need your advice to go back home and work in a bank from morning till night! if u read my posts clearly u'll deduce that I stated that I ASPIRE to to be self employed and help people around me yes I''ll be patriotic, I have a passion to contribute to my community, If I could contribute and be the best Employee into a foreigners business, It is my passion to go back home and make an impact. we all have different DREAMS, I'll rather be an ONION than a CARROT,, I believe this is also a mind/heart thing if not why would a white person decide to go to africa to contribute working as a charity aid ?

I love having my people around me and talking about infastructures, I strongly believe I can conquer that from the result of my hardwork. Wealthy people survive back home don't they ? and only go abroad for holidays LIFE is whatever u make out of it.

and to crown it all,,,, fore pIanning, I just do not see myself at the age of FORTY and still be waking up every morning by alarm, having to fill out holiday form cos I need a day off, feeling guilty to call in sick angry . also the weather lipsrsealed another thing about U.K is the SPACE shocked and not being able to say boldly that I have a HOME/PROPERTY that I actually live in Nigeria. remember I wouldn't need to WORRY about mortgage repayment or any loan of such then ! The money I have would be working for me, this is no fantasy.

AND THE PLAN 'B', WHEN I'M THOUROUGHLY BROKE I'LL SURELY COME BACK HERE DO SOME QUICK WORK TO RAISE QUICK CAPITAL IN A SHORT TIME AND RE-INVEST AGAIN ! THIS WAY I would'nt b compelled to spend all I've earned on BILLS again an go round and round the obvious circle ! wink cheesy

Call me a user ! but I only see abroad as a place to raise quick cash,, and spend it LIVING/INVESTING back home grin
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by Akolawole(m): 7:39pm On May 07, 2006
Ndipe:

but the cost of living here is definitely high. Factor in the more than 3k monthly mortgage and you will

But for those who think that yankee is blissful, don't forget that they are homeless people in the society. Some people become homeless not because of choice, but for a variety of factors like divorce, or even the loss of a job.

So, my Nigerian brothers and sisters, if you are living a comfortable life in Nigeria, please don't throw that away in the name of coming to Yankee. You may regret it.

Word.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by OldGlory1(m): 7:44pm On May 07, 2006
@ Topic

Take of Poll of How many Nairalander living abroad will go back home today for good, and how many Nairalanders will leave home and go abroad. That should put an end to this topic. Question:How Many Nairalander will leave all the have right now and go back home? How many Nairalanders will forfeit all the have and go abroad?
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by Akolawole(m): 7:51pm On May 07, 2006
sage:

BANKERS IN NAIJA WORK FROM 7 AM TO 10 PM AND GET 60,000 NAIRA AT THE END OF THE MONTH, THE SAME AMUOUNT A STUDENT
HERE GETS IN LESS THAN A WEEK.

Which kind comparison be this?

Your rent for a wooden-flat in the west will guarantee a posh 5 bedroom house with garden in Victoria garden city in Lagos.

In Nigeria, 99.9% of homeowners owned the house completely but in their west it was mortgage(5%ownership).

You can only fool Nigerians that have never taste the west.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by OldGlory1(m): 7:57pm On May 07, 2006
What is the value of the homes the own completely. Who is fooling you?
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by Akolawole(m): 7:57pm On May 07, 2006
Old Glory:

@ Topic

Take of Poll of How many Nairalander living abroad will go back home today for good, and how many Nairalanders will leave home and go abroad. That should put an end to this topic. Question:How Many Nairalander will leave all the have right now and go back home? How many Nairalanders will forfeit all the have and go abroad?

The ideal thing is to do a poll for people that have live in both, whether they will prefer to go back to Naija or Not.

Most people is continually blindfolded into travelling Abroad, imagine somebody paying £3000 to get a UK visitors visa.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by Akolawole(m): 7:58pm On May 07, 2006
Old Glory:

What is the value of the homes the own completely.

Look at you.

Even if it is one naira. House is house.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by OldGlory1(m): 8:13pm On May 07, 2006
@Akolawale

Why is he/she paying so much for a visa? Because he/she can probably make that back even making hair in the UK. Are you saying it is a foolish investment? I actually think it is a bargain, if you can be guaranteed entry and/or some kind of work in the UK. People pay as much as $10,000 to cross from South America thru Mexico into the US and many die in the desert on their way into the US. Do u think they just feel like dashing the "Coyotes" money? They come over in the Millions every year from South America and get deported in the hundred of Thousands every year too. But they know that they will do better here than in their home country. These people come to pick fruits, cut grass,clean bathrooms for minimum wage and manage to send over $20Billion back to Mexico alone each year. I am not sure why you are surprised that people are paying GBP3000 for a visa. That is cheap if you ask me.

By the way "Coyotes" are the smugglers that traffic human beings from Mexico into the US. Part of an Organized crime ring.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by OldGlory1(m): 8:17pm On May 07, 2006
Akolowale

That is why we cannot come to an understanding with a statement like "House is House". You have got to add Value or else we cannot have an effective debate. If house was house then why is rent different in Oshodi than in Ikoyi? Why is a house in Manchester cheaper than the same size house in London? House is house will not cut it.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by Akolawole(m): 8:35am On May 08, 2006
Old Glory:

@Akolawale

Why is he/she paying so much for a visa? Because he/she can probably make that back even making hair in the UK. Are you saying it is a foolish investment? I actually think it is a bargain, if you can be guaranteed entry and/or some kind of work in the UK. People pay as much as $10,000 to cross from South America through Mexico into the US and many die in the desert on their way into the US. Do u think they just feel like dashing the "Coyotes" money? They come over in the Millions every year from South America and get deported in the hundred of Thousands every year too. But they know that they will do better here than in their home country. These people come to pick fruits, cut grass,clean bathrooms for minimum wage and manage to send over $20Billion back to Mexico alone each year. I am not sure why you are surprised that people are paying GBP3000 for a visa. That is cheap if you ask me.

£3000 is cheap! Lord Jesus.

Paying $10000 to get to United States.

@OldGlory

You must be in serious money to call these monies cheap.

Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by Ashiwaju(m): 12:00pm On May 08, 2006
@ Old Glory, Akolawole and co,

Well, i believe yah all made or state your opinion clearly, if old glory sees it from her own experience and akolawole sees it in a diff persp. well that should not cause any wahala now. Preach the gospel if its good for you and do other wise if it does not.

I have said this before and i ll say it again. naija would always be naija. But i am only worried that some sects of people have refused to leave this country now because they want it developed but the most annoying thing is that when it becomes a country of hopes and dreams now, all this people who preach the gospel of usa and Uk would come back, "Yes its our home, Yes We are Back Home" How sad. Sacrifices is one thing that is natural and i ll rather sit,fight and make it happen eye for an eye u know.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by LoverBwoy(m): 12:30pm On May 08, 2006
In a country where decisions are made on your behalf,

where u work and don't get paid until you go on strike

where you get beaten up for going on strike

where u pay electricity that you never had

where you can get shot for not bribing the police N20

where young women are sometimes forced to offer their body for education they paid for

where merely passing 4+ exams satisfactorily doesnt guarantee you a place in university

Where you probably wait for your dad to buy u a house,a car, a wife  shocked, get you a job, tell u when and where you can travel to

I LOVE MY COUNTRY AND I'LL ALWAYS BE PROUD TO BE A NIGERIAN  grin grin grin
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by LoverBwoy(m): 12:36pm On May 08, 2006
Well I'm a Programmer (because you really want to know) and i'm also a med student and i have done my quota to nigeria, (at least families are changing because i took the initiative).

if you were in nigeria how many family members would you be able to cater for?
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by MrBean(m): 1:34pm On May 08, 2006
@ Akolawole and Ashiwaju

Were you guys Deported? No offense Intended.

@ all

Dont be fooled there are nigerians that oown their properties 100%.

There was anigerian that bought a unit in a florida skyscrapper that wasnt even completed yet but he still got a mortgage of about $300,000 on the unit. He kept paying his mortgage month to month on a property that he wasnt living in. 13months down the line the building was completed and he decided to put it on sale thinking he had made a wrong investment. He was offered close to a million dollars for the unit. He now lives in a 5 bedroom sprawling property in maryland fully paid for. Whether you like it or not there are Nigerians making it big here. For the upteenth time I DONT BELIEVE SUCCESS IS ENVIRONMENTAL IT DEPENDS ON THE INDIVIDUAL.

@ Old Glory

People like you make it very far in life because you are true to yourself. Keep it up

@ zionchic

You need to take classes in anlytical thinking.You don't disect my post and tell me what way to go. read my earlier  posts I didnt and wouldnt do that. You are entitled to your own opinion and i think i have respected that. It wouldnt be acrime to extend the same courtesy to me.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by OldGlory1(m): 4:27pm On May 08, 2006
Mrlawng

Thanks for the compliments, if you notice Zionchic and her sidekick Beyonce only want to use the US for their selfish needs, but refuse to admit that life it better. If it was so bad, then why don't you go home and use your own COUNTRY for your well being. And in the process help your family members and create jobs for others. They are speaking with both sides of their mouths. I am tired of the hypocrisy.

@Akolowale

My friend i think you are just straight up confused. I am not sure you have a clue about the things you are writing. I said that GBP 3000 for a UK Visa was a Bargain, because people pay more to cross by foot across the Arizona desert.I think people will pay even more than that if you told them too. But in anyway your arguments on this topic makes my head spin. Let us finally say that you stay home, i will call the US my home and life will go on for both of us.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by Ashiwaju(m): 4:54pm On May 08, 2006
@ Mrlawng

if you like cry hell, You dont make decision for no body, if a nigerian can stay in nigeria and make it why not leave him/ her alone. The fact that you like it there does not mean every other person should like it there

You ask if i was deported no offence. Well i think i have the answers for people like you, you are just being a pest that you are, you wanna live on other peoples hard work,sweat and sacrifices, would you dare go to the US during the Civil war? why werent you there when Blacks go thru hell to get anything done? If people like Luther King had not payed his life to make sure things work for black would you be there asking if one person was deported or not?, you want to wait till you hear that nigeria has made way. People like you would want to come back then but the question is to do what? if i may ask. No offence too

You dont just rubbish nigeria and if atall i was deported like you said, i would rather be deported back to my home where i would be deported no more. i am happy than to leave like you with the fear of what goes there, who is after me, what happens. By now you should be able to buy the Aso rock now? abi ur money nova reach ni,,,,
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by MrBean(m): 6:45pm On May 08, 2006
@Ashiwaju

Please read my ealier posts and you will find I have not rubbished anywhere. We can disagree and still be civil. Aggression and cheap vulgarities will get you nowhere. The first step in nigeria changing is for people like you to learn that people can identify with different schools of thought and still be heard. Its live and let live.

I wouldnt dignify your frivolities with answers. If you need an introduction read my earlier posts. You indulge in selective critisizms and still think you are being objective in your views. You are a man my dear and it will serve you to be more analytical in your thinking and not thrive on cheap outbursts of emotion.

Peace.

Learn to take a joke

@ old glory

You are welcome. Sail on my brother.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by sage(m): 8:14pm On May 08, 2006
U all are wasting time.

The truth is simple and clear. THE WEST IS SIMPLY BETTER. There is no place in this world that is stress free. Anybody that wants to be stress free could as well commit suicide.

This question, i believe is about life 4 the average guy living in any of those places and that i believe has one answer.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by bigbumper(f): 8:25pm On May 08, 2006
Wonders shall never cease.

Forking out £3000 to get a visa is a bargain 

This is the equivalent of FIVE MONTHS SALARY on minimum wages after tax for a person who has a LEGAL right to be person in the UK.

And if the minimum wages in US is still around $6.50 per hour, this is the equivalent of working for about 800 hours.

If you have a legal right to be abroad, then you know you are AT LEAST GUARANTEED those aforementioned minimum wages, otherwise, you have to either resort to fraud to get by or at least face years of struggle to get your foot on the ladder.

In the UK, professional job seekers and graduates, like Doctors, Lawyers, Engineers, IT Specialists, often have a tough time landing a job, with one vacancy usually attracting over 2000 job applicants, etc.

Not to talk less those with little or no skills and the legal right to work, who now have to compete with the 3 million plus Eastern European national who have been bequested the legal right to work in the UK.

Frankly speaking, the quality of life, peace of mind, stability and the psychological aspect is not worth it, especially if you are not legally supposed to be in the country.

And to the guy who thinks nothing of dishing out 5000 naira willy-nilly, again this is the equivalent of 5 hours of working for a minimum wage in the UK after tax. Abeg where you dey, make i forward you my account details?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (23) (Reply)

Nigerian Helicopter Crashes In Benin Republic (Pictured) / Man Mourns His Wife And 2-Year-Old Daughter Killed In Motor Accident / 6 Polyibadan Students Died And Others Injured In A Motor Accident

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 111
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.