Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,075 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:20 AM

Does A Baby/foetus Have A Soul? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Does A Baby/foetus Have A Soul? (2165 Views)

What Right Does A Pastor Have Disgracing Someone Openly During Service? / 'Wombless' Woman Gives Birth To A Baby / A Baby Foetus Doesnt Have A Soul. In Reply (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does A Baby/foetus Have A Soul? by Nobody: 8:11pm On May 05, 2012
This is an offshoot of the 'Where do aborted babies go' thread..

mrmayor:
1. Do babies/foetus have souls?

2. If they do; at what point does the soul enter the body?

3. Are babies/foetus going to hell or heaven since they were conceived in SIN and also inherited Original Sin from Adam, Eve and Serpent/Satan?

Of course, all views are welcome..
Re: Does A Baby/foetus Have A Soul? by LogicMind: 8:12pm On May 05, 2012
i don't know what a soul is. sorry.
Re: Does A Baby/foetus Have A Soul? by buzugee(m): 8:18pm On May 05, 2012
no. cant remember the verse now but a baby is assigned a spirit ( soul ) when it pops out into the world.
Re: Does A Baby/foetus Have A Soul? by Jenwitemi(m): 8:25pm On May 05, 2012
Of course babies and fetuses have souls. A unicellular organism has a soul talk less of a fetus.
musKeeto: This is an offshoot of the 'Where do aborted babies go' thread..

Of course, all views are welcome..
Re: Does A Baby/foetus Have A Soul? by Nobody: 8:27pm On May 05, 2012
Do we start with defining what a 'soul' is first? This no, yes, no don tire me.. grin
Re: Does A Baby/foetus Have A Soul? by buzugee(m): 8:31pm On May 05, 2012
musKeeto: Do we start with defining what a 'soul' is first? This no, yes, no don tire me.. grin
LOL. lemme see if i can find the verse sef
Re: Does A Baby/foetus Have A Soul? by Jenwitemi(m): 8:31pm On May 05, 2012
There is no fixed or officially accepted definition of a soul, bro. It is open to individual definitions. As far as i am concerned, a human being is made up of spirit, soul and body with the spirit being the highest of the 3 and the body the lowest.
Re: Does A Baby/foetus Have A Soul? by Nobody: 8:37pm On May 05, 2012
Can you explain further..
What's the difference between a soul and spirit?
Re: Does A Baby/foetus Have A Soul? by Jenwitemi(m): 8:51pm On May 05, 2012
Let me put it this way, the SPIRIT uses the SOUL to operate the BODY to interact with the physical world. The spirit is the real you, the real us that was never created and never dies. The Spirit is the experiencer of the physical world and is part of the Creator (whatever the creator is) itself, just like a droplet of the ocean is part of the ocean.

The soul, on the other hand, begins to form once the physical body starts to receive external stimuli from the physical world it is interacting with right from the unicellular stage up to the day the organism dies, and so is the same for humans. The soul, thus, is created in the physical world but lives on once the the physical body expires.

The mind is also part of the soul and both continue to form and mature as one grows older experiencing life.

There is much more to be said but that is just a brief explanation from my own individual angle.
musKeeto: Can you explain further..
What's the difference between a soul and spirit?

1 Like

Re: Does A Baby/foetus Have A Soul? by buzugee(m): 9:00pm On May 05, 2012
the word 'spirit' comes from the latin word 'spiritus' which means breath. so a baby recieves its soul ( which is used interchangeably in the bible as spirit ) when he or she takes its first breath.
Re: Does A Baby/foetus Have A Soul? by logicboy: 9:01pm On May 05, 2012
Jenwitemi: There is no fixed or officially accepted definition of a soul, bro. It is open to individual definitions. As far as i am concerned, a human being is made up of spirit, soul and body with the spirit being the highest of the 3 and the body the lowest.

There is no such thing as a soul. ou have never been in touch with a soul, you have never seen a soul and you can not describe a soul.

Ask 1,000 christians do describe a soul and you will get 1,000 different answer
Re: Does A Baby/foetus Have A Soul? by Jenwitemi(m): 9:08pm On May 05, 2012
That is simply your own individual stance and you are entitled to it. It is alright and accepted.
logicboy:

There is no such thing as a soul. ou have never been in touch with a soul, you have never seen a soul and you can not describe a soul.

Ask 1,000 christians do describe a soul and you will get 1,000 different answer
Re: Does A Baby/foetus Have A Soul? by Jenwitemi(m): 9:11pm On May 05, 2012
Any organism that is alive and moves has a soul. Physical body can't function without a soul. It is the seat of the operating system that works the physical body and this operating system continues to grow throughout life.
Re: Does A Baby/foetus Have A Soul? by LogicMind: 9:13pm On May 05, 2012
Jenwitemi: Any organism that is alive and moves has a soul. Physical body can't function without a soul. It is the seat of the operating system that works the physical body and this operating system continues to grow throughout life.

and those in coma?
Re: Does A Baby/foetus Have A Soul? by Jenwitemi(m): 9:16pm On May 05, 2012
As long as they are still alive, the soul is present. What is in coma was once not in coma. The soul does not leave the physical body just because it has elapsed into a coma. To be sincere though, i do not know what happens to the soul in a state of coma. Is it deactivated only to reactivated in post-coma. I know not.
Logic Mind:

and those in coma?
Re: Does A Baby/foetus Have A Soul? by Nobody: 3:33am On May 06, 2012
Jenwitemi: Let me put it this way, the SPIRIT uses the SOUL to operate the BODY to interact with the physical world. The spirit is the real you, the real us that was never created and never dies. The Spirit is the experiencer of the physical world and is part of the Creator (whatever the creator is) itself, just like a droplet of the ocean is part of the ocean.

The soul, on the other hand, begins to form once the physical body starts to receive external stimuli from the physical world it is interacting with right from the unicellular stage up to the day the organism dies, and so is the same for humans. The soul, thus, is created in the physical world but lives on once the the physical body expires.

The mind is also part of the soul and both continue to form and mature as one grows older experiencing life.

There is much more to be said but that is just a brief explanation from my own individual angle.

The SPIRIT's the real you, that which was NEVER created and NEVER DIES.... sorry Jenwitemi, I couldn't get beyond this contradiction...
Re: Does A Baby/foetus Have A Soul? by Jenwitemi(m): 8:28am On May 06, 2012
It is no contradiction, bro. The spirit is immortal and timeless because it is part of the CREATOR and that is the real YOU. Your true self is the spirit and the other two parts of yourself(soul and body) are just the temporary parts of you that you (spirit) put on to be able to exist and interact in the physical existence for a very limited time.

When that time is up, the spirit (YOU) simply shed the body and soul (death) and move to a new experience via a new body in a new physical world. That process goes on indefinitely in a never ending loop.
musKeeto:

The SPIRIT's the real you, that which was NEVER created and NEVER DIES.... sorry Jenwitemi, I couldn't get beyond this contradiction...
Re: Does A Baby/foetus Have A Soul? by Kay17: 8:38am On May 06, 2012
If I refuse to accept your claim, how can you make it rationally compellable, like prove it really does exist, especially when we can't perceive it.
Re: Does A Baby/foetus Have A Soul? by Nobody: 8:48am On May 06, 2012
Jenwitemi: It is no contradiction, bro. The spirit is immortal and timeless because it is part of the CREATOR and that is the real YOU. Your true self is the spirit and the other two parts of yourself(soul and body) are just the temporary parts of you that you (spirit) put on to be able to exist and interact in the physical existence for a very limited time.

When that time is up, the spirit (YOU) simply shed the body and soul (death) and move to a new experience via a new body in a new physical world. That process goes on indefinitely in a never ending loop.

Jenwitemi: Let me put it this way, the SPIRIT uses the SOUL to operate the BODY to interact with the physical world. The spirit is the real you, the real us that was never created and never dies. The Spirit is the experiencer of the physical world and is part of the Creator (whatever the creator is) itself, just like a droplet of the ocean is part of the ocean.

So if I'm getting this right, a perfect analogy would be a car and driver...

The driver's the SPIRIT..
He needs a steering to control the car.. SOUL
The chasis is the BODY..

The driver can switch cars, and every car will have a different mode of operation.. right?

Jenwitemi:
Continuing from the car and driver analogy, would it be right to conclude that the steering(soul) becomes functional even before the driver(spirit) gets in?
Isn't the SOUL(steering) a part of the body(CHASIS), per se?
Re: Does A Baby/foetus Have A Soul? by Jenwitemi(m): 9:03am On May 06, 2012
The car analogy is fair but a better analogy would be a PC. The PC operator is the SPIRIT; the operating system and all the installed apps in it plus all the data files(audio, video, image, documents, etc) on the hard drive constitute the SOUL; the PC hardware itself is the BODY.

Finally, what the PC operator sees on the screen becomes the reality he/she is experiencing at that time with the help of the OS and the hardware just like the reality the spirit is experiencing via the soul and the body. We shouldn't forget the mind which is part of the soul.
Re: Does A Baby/foetus Have A Soul? by LogicMind: 9:18am On May 06, 2012
Jenwitemi: The car analogy is fair but a better analogy would be a PC. The PC operator is the SPIRIT; the operating system and all the installed apps in it plus all the data files(audio, video, image, documents, etc) on the hard drive constitute the SOUL; the PC hardware itself is the BODY.

Finally, what the PC operator sees on the screen becomes the reality he/she is experiencing at that time with the help of the OS and the hardware just like the reality the spirit is experiencing via the soul and the body. We shouldn't forget the mind which is part of the soul.

I need to switch off my pc to get some of my sanity back.
nl is really full of shyte

1 Like

Re: Does A Baby/foetus Have A Soul? by Nobody: 9:20am On May 06, 2012
I fully subscribe to your analogy. I'm a software developer so it's much easier concept for me to understand..
cool

Now.. where were we?
Jenwitemi: The car analogy is fair but a better analogy would be a PC. The PC operator is the SPIRIT; the operating system and all the installed apps in it plus all the data files(audio, video, image, documents, etc) on the hard drive constitute the SOUL; the PC hardware itself is the BODY.

Software(soul) is built on hardware(body). So this corresponds to your earlier statement.
Jenwitemi:
The soul, on the other hand, begins to form once the physical body starts to receive external stimuli from the physical world
The issue with this analogy of course, would be that what OS, files, data, etc end up on the system are input by the user, not the body. So this external stimuli from the physical world, would I be right in saying that the 'physical world' here would be the PC operator(spirit)?

Then in this case, should the topic be At what point does a spirit inhabit a body? Because if the SPirit determines the Soul, then a foetus cannot be said to have a soul....
OR AM I JUST CONFUSED? undecided
Re: Does A Baby/foetus Have A Soul? by Jenwitemi(m): 9:58am On May 06, 2012
First of all, we would need to understand here that the the biological computer(spirit/soul/body), which is us, operates not in 1 on 1 correlation with the normal PC. So a 1 on 1 comparison will only lead to confusion. While there are a lot of similarities between the biological computer and a normal PC, there are differences too in their functionalities and modes of operation.

Now, a normal PC would only be a heap of hardware without the OS to operate it, so the OS has to be installed by a technician/programmer or a user, as the case may be, to be fully functional. That is the case of a PC. But in case of a biological computer like us, we start getting our OS from the external stimuli coming from the outside world that is already there. That process is self-automated making the body computer much more advanced than the normal PC.

A fetus, even at the unicellular stage, is already receiving external stimuli from the surrounding world of the mother's womb which, as a result, starts forming it's soul. The more informations the fetus receives from the mother's womb as it continues to grow, the more it's soul forms and develops, meaning that the external stimuli is the programmer here.

This goes on until the fetus turns into a fully grown human baby in the womb before it is finally born into the world where it's developing soul begins to receive a whole different set of stimuli or, in PC speak, a new set of programming from the world the baby is born in. And that programming goes on all the way to the grave.
musKeeto: The issue with this analogy of course, would be that what OS, files, data, etc end up on the system are input by the user, not the body. So this external stimuli from the physical world, would I be right in saying that the 'physical world' here would be the PC operator(spirit)?

It is okay to be confused because you are only trying to understand the issue at hand. I was once as confused as you are now. But once i was able to put my own schema together on it, the confusion disappeared. Remember that this is MY OWN SCHEMA. You will have to form yours from your own understanding of how these things work.

Back to the issue, then. The spirit enters the body in the very instance it is conceived as a unicellular fetus or organism. The memory of what the spirit experienced at that stage is forever stored in the soul, even if one cannot make a recall of those experiences in the later stages of life, the informations are still there.

The spirit does not determine the soul, it only uses it. The external stimuli from the outside world determine the formation of the soul and mind and that is why religions employ the indoctrinations of the very young because their souls/minds are still very malleable at that early stage.
musKeeto: Then in this case, should the topic be At what point does a spirit inhabit a body? Because if the SPirit determines the Soul, then a foetus cannot be said to have a soul....
OR AM I JUST CONFUSED?
Re: Does A Baby/foetus Have A Soul? by emofine2(f): 10:06am On May 06, 2012
Interesting subject and introductory post originally composed by mrmayor.

I’m curious; do those who adhere to the belief of reincarnation and a soul thus believe that there’s a limited number of souls?
Re: Does A Baby/foetus Have A Soul? by Jenwitemi(m): 10:08am On May 06, 2012
I personally have no idea how many souls there are. We are really in conjecture land as far as that is concerned.
emöfine2: Interesting subject and introductory post originally composed by mrmayor.

I’m curious; do those who adhere to the belief of reincarnation and a soul thus believe that there’s a limited number of souls?
Re: Does A Baby/foetus Have A Soul? by Nobody: 7:06pm On May 06, 2012
Jenwitemi: First of all, we would need to understand here that the the biological computer(spirit/soul/body), which is us, operates not in 1 on 1 correlation with the normal PC. So a 1 on 1 comparison will only lead to confusion. While there are a lot of similarities between the biological computer and a normal PC, there are differences too in their functionalities and modes of operation.

Now, a normal PC would only be a heap of hardware without the OS to operate it, so the OS has to be installed by a technician/programmer or a user, as the case may be, to be fully functional. That is the case of a PC. But in case of a biological computer like us, we start getting our OS from the external stimuli coming from the outside world that is already there. That process is self-automated making the body computer much more advanced than the normal PC.

A fetus, even at the unicellular stage, is already receiving external stimuli from the surrounding world of the mother's womb which, as a result, starts forming it's soul. The more informations the fetus receives from the mother's womb as it continues to grow, the more it's soul forms and develops, meaning that the external stimuli is the programmer here.

This goes on until the fetus turns into a fully grown human baby in the womb before it is finally born into the world where it's developing soul begins to receive a whole different set of stimuli or, in PC speak, a new set of programming from the world the baby is born in. And that programming goes on all the way to the grave.

It is okay to be confused because you are only trying to understand the issue at hand. I was once as confused as you are now. But once i was able to put my own schema together on it, the confusion disappeared. Remember that this is MY OWN SCHEMA. You will have to form yours from your own understanding of how these things work.

Back to the issue, then. The spirit enters the body in the very instance it is conceived as a unicellular fetus or organism. The memory of what the spirit experienced at that stage is forever stored in the soul, even if one cannot make a recall of those experiences in the later stages of life, the informations are still there.

The spirit does not determine the soul, it only uses it. The external stimuli from the outside world determine the formation of the soul and mind and that is why religions employ the indoctrinations of the very young because their souls/minds are still very malleable at that early stage.

Interesting.. lot on my schedule now.. hopefully, will study a bit more and get back to you. Thanks a lot. Very enlightening..
Re: Does A Baby/foetus Have A Soul? by judebeyou: 11:49pm On Jun 22, 2012
As for me, soul is what the human uses to interact with world outside of him. While spirit on the other hand, is the part that humans use to interact with things which are not seen. Example, we have emotions, fear, anxiety etc. when all these things are taking place from the inside, it is know as the spirit realm, while the soul is the output. Put it this way: the spirit is the hard drive and soul is the part that displays all the information thar are on the drive and this happens with the help of the body. The body is the human identity in the material realm, this doesn't mean they are different, it's simply the human configuration, without these three, then we donot have a human being.
Re: Does A Baby/foetus Have A Soul? by tpia5: 12:08pm On Jul 13, 2012
musKeeto: I'm a software developer

Why am i not surprised?

Most of the over pompous, empty headed trolls here, claim to be hackers and IT field?

They're also the ones with a god complex, believing they have some freaking right to stalk others because maybe SEUN gave them the go ahead to do so?
Re: Does A Baby/foetus Have A Soul? by Freksy(m): 2:39am On Jul 14, 2012
judebeyou: As for me, soul is what the human uses to interact with world outside of him. While spirit on the other hand, is the part that humans use to interact with things which are not seen. Example, we have emotions, fear, anxiety etc. when all these things are taking place from the inside, it is know as the spirit realm, while the soul is the output. Put it this way: the spirit is the hard drive and soul is the part that displays all the information thar are on the drive and this happens with the help of the body. The body is the human identity in the material realm, this doesn't mean they are different, it's simply the human configuration, without these three, then we donot have a human being.

Man is a soul.

A baby is a soul

A foetus is a soul
Re: Does A Baby/foetus Have A Soul? by Nobody: 7:58am On Jul 14, 2012
This thread is very old but I couldn't resist writing this down.

Jenwitemi: Of course babies and fetuses have souls. A unicellular organism has a soul talk less of a fetus.
I don't really agree. Spermatozoa(sp[i]e[/i]rm cells) are unicellular. Would you say they all possess individual souls? Or would you regard getting rid of them as murder? wink

The soul is probably consciousness that is brought about by brain activity. Prior to the formation of synapses in the central nervous system, the human foetus is sustained solely by the mother's bodily functions.
It does nothing on it's own because it is unconscious and the brain has not been formed. Formation of the CNS and hence the brain, is what makes it possible for foetuses to do certain things on it's own that suggests that it is alive such as spontaneous movements of it's body, swallowing and so on.

My opinion.
Re: Does A Baby/foetus Have A Soul? by God2man(m): 8:31pm On Jul 14, 2012
Jenwitemi: First of all, we would need to understand here that the the biological computer(spirit/soul/body), which is us, operates not in 1 on 1 correlation with the normal PC. So a 1 on 1 comparison will only lead to confusion. While there are a lot of similarities between the biological computer and a normal PC, there are differences too in their functionalities and modes of operation.

Re: Does A Baby/foetus Have A Soul? by Nobody: 9:39pm On Jul 14, 2012
I think the spirit and soul are essentially the same thing. The spirit could be seen as the visible manifestation of the soul, (visible in the realm of spirits) just as the body is the visible aspect of the human in this dimension.

The soul is an intangible or incorporeal quality without form or shape - just pure consciousness.

We are all just individual units of consciousness. Each unit is a part of the whole architecture of consciousness we call 'God'. All appearance of form is illusion created by consciousness. We are NOT our bodies - spiritual or otherwise. As humans, our bodies are just vehicles which enable us to partake of this dense physical dimension or realm of existence. What we call death is merely the expiration of this physical body or vehicle and nothing more. We all live forever.

(1) (2) (Reply)

From The Father Of Lies – Visions Of Hell / I Saw An Angel Today / Happy Sunday- Answer And Tag!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 110
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.