Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,074 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:17 AM

Is God Dead? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is God Dead? (3476 Views)

Poll: Do you believe in God?

Yes: 61% (11 votes)
No: 38% (7 votes)
Not decided.: 0% (0 votes)
This poll has ended

Is GOD GOOD TO YOU THIS YEAR / Is God Dead In Africa? / Wanted! God Dead or Alive (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is God Dead? by Master6(m): 2:22pm On May 10, 2012
God exists.
. God is omnipotent, omniscient, and perfectly
good.
. A perfectly good being would want to prevent all
evils.
. An omniscient being knows every way in which
evils can come into existence.
. An omnipotent being, who knows every way in
which an evil can come into existence, has the
power to prevent that evil from coming into
existence.
. A being who knows every way in which an evil
can come into existence, who is able to prevent
that evil from coming into existence, and who
wants to do so, would prevent the existence of
that evil.
. If there exists an omnipotent, omniscient, and
perfectly good being, then no evil exists.
. Evil exists (logical contradiction).

So....is God dead
Re: Is God Dead? by Master6(m): 2:28pm On May 10, 2012
God is all powerful.
He can do all things
He can create a stone dat is so heavy he can't carry it
1.He can't carry it,
He can't do all things
God is not all powerful
2.He can't create it
He can't do all things

He can't do all things, he isn't God!!!
Re: Is God Dead? by AlvinPlantinga: 2:58pm On May 10, 2012
Master_1: God exists.
1. God is omnipotent, omniscient, and perfectly
good.
2.A perfectly good being would want to prevent all
evils.
3.An omniscient being knows every way in which
4.An omnipotent being, who knows every way in
existence.
5.A being who knows every way in which an evil
that evil.
6.If there exists an omnipotent, omniscient, and
7.Evil exists (logical contradiction).

So....is God dead

I hope you are ready to defend "copy Pasted" material?

2 is not necessarily true.No Christian Philosopher ascribes to premise number 2.Unless you meant "A perfect being would want to prevent all unnecessary and gratuitous evil".which is quite different to your Premise 2.

Premise 4 assumes that omnipotence entails the ability to do the logically impossible.Premise 5 has problems inherited from Premise 2.Since no distinction was made between unnecessary gratuitous evil and EVIL in general, then 5 is a non starter.

Premise 6 and the conclusion suffer the same problems.

this must be the most amateurish form of the problem of evil i have ever seen.even if somehow the argument was sound,it does not follow that God does not exist. It could just be that an ammoral god exists.i.e a creator god who does not care about evil or good.A Deist sort of God.who simply created the universe and let it "be".
Re: Is God Dead? by AlvinPlantinga: 3:13pm On May 10, 2012
Master_1: God is all powerful.
He can do all things
1.He can't carry it,
He can't do all things
God is not all powerful
2.He can't create it
He can't do all things

I remember in my youthful days when i was a new "atheist".I found this argument fascinating.I would flaunt it around my Christian friends and leave them speechless.A few years later,more learned and widely read, i quickly realized how silly this argument was.

I know you are new to atheism and you find such amateurish arguments entertaining.but when you become older you will realize how silly they are.

But just to get you started, i will offer you some insights into what is wrong with your argument.

The argument presupposes that omnipotence is the ability to do anything.Even to defy logic.But majority of Christians do not hold that view.Omnipotence does not entail doing things which defy rules of logic.God cannot create a square circle for the simple reason that a square circle does not exist.Either a square is a square or a circle is a circle. This does not in anyway show that God lacks the ability to create a square circle.it shows that you have come up with some nonsensical concept and asked whether god can actualize it.

you could as well have asked, can god create "kjhkjhj79343877--.,==sdf" and make it drink milk?

If you want to start making arguments that make sense and are sound, you have to start by representing accurately what Christians believe in. Not by representing their position and going ahead and "disproving" something they do not believe or represent.It is called a strawman argument.look that up.
Re: Is God Dead? by DeepSight(m): 6:26pm On May 10, 2012
Well said, Alvinpat -

Honestly, new atheists are the most tiresome and boring sort of atheist that one can come across.
Re: Is God Dead? by Master6(m): 6:46pm On May 10, 2012
Following from the problem of evil arguement,
It must be understood 'God who in every sense of it, must av all those properties to be considered as 'God'.
An immoral God , which follows the argument hence is assuming that, an immoral God is NO GOD at all.

I just refuse to go without at least posting back a counter argument.
Re: Is God Dead? by Master6(m): 6:49pm On May 10, 2012
Since you two have decided to pick on d new guy, can u enlighten us with a solid arguement dat can not be countered.
Re: Is God Dead? by Enigma(m): 7:24pm On May 10, 2012
Sorry, I'm not contributing anything of particular substance.

However @ Master 1, I suggest you google the words 'Alvin Platinga'. wink

cool
Re: Is God Dead? by buzugee(m): 8:00pm On May 10, 2012
good.
evils.
existence.
that evil.

So....is God dead
no but you are dead. spiritually dead, that is
Re: Is God Dead? by Enigma(m): 8:02pm On May 10, 2012
Graffito somewhere or other:

"God is dead" - Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead" - God.

cool
Re: Is God Dead? by Master6(m): 11:01pm On May 10, 2012
Enigma: Sorry, I'm not contributing anything of particular substance.

However @ Master 1, I suggest you google the words 'Alvin Platinga'. wink

cool

I googled d name nd my oh my!!!!
Re: Is God Dead? by Enigma(m): 11:04pm On May 10, 2012
Cool smiley

We all have sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much to learn.

If only we all realise this . . . .

cool
Re: Is God Dead? by Master6(m): 11:11pm On May 10, 2012
buzugee: no but you are dead. spiritually dead, that is

This is a forum. Either support the argument or oppose it. Or otherwise at least make meaningful contributions!!!!
Re: Is God Dead? by Master6(m): 11:15pm On May 10, 2012
@Enigma,
Who will teach us all that we need to know
GOD
Re: Is God Dead? by Enigma(m): 11:30pm On May 10, 2012
Yep, but we must first humble ourselves.

To be honest, "all" that we really need to know to relate with God are very simple.

The "intellectual" stuff are additions really; they can be very good if we handle them carefully; but they can be stumbling blocks if we handle them wrongly -------or if we fail to do the first thing i.e. to humble ourselves. smiley

cool
Re: Is God Dead? by buzugee(m): 12:05am On May 11, 2012
Master_1:

This is a forum. Either support the argument or oppose it. Or otherwise at least make meaningful contributions!!!!
i am sitting on the fence on this here issue. trying to upload sense into the hard drive of an atheist is akin to trying to pass a thread through the eye of a needle
Re: Is God Dead? by God2man(m): 3:40am On May 11, 2012
No. God is a alive. He is not dead. We may not see him but everything around us is a living testimony that there is a supreme being that contols the affairs of men. I don't know how else to convince you, i sincerely pray that God will reveal himself to you in a way you can understand.God bless you. God2man.

1 Like

Re: Is God Dead? by brainchild78(m): 5:53am On May 11, 2012
so this poster really wants to convince his/herself that God is dead. Would the poster be willing to receive a visit from God before he/she wakes up to reason. To assert that God is dead is simply to assert that one is in fact spiritually dead. Ride on... kudos 2 u... lets see where your vain arguments leads you.
Re: Is God Dead? by Master6(m): 7:21am On May 11, 2012
I am almost there, I just neeeed someone to sufficiently convince me, and dat will be all!!!!

Some religious people are just plain 'daft'!
Re: Is God Dead? by emofine2(f): 7:59am On May 11, 2012
Master_1: God is all powerful.
He can do all things
1.He can't carry it,
He can't do all things
God is not all powerful
2.He can't create it
He can't do all things

Just because a being is supposedly capable of doing all things does that mean that being will necessarily do all things?
Re: Is God Dead? by tbaba1234: 8:14am On May 11, 2012
looks in... smiley
silly argument angry...
steps out... cool
Re: Is God Dead? by bright007(f): 2:51am On May 12, 2012
What å world of insanity I have found myself!
Re: Is God Dead? by Callotti: 4:50am On May 12, 2012
He is on life support. . . being nursed by the DEVIL!

mu he he he he he he he

No need to vote for a "vegetable"! cheesy

The DEVIL will soon pull the plug on his arrrrze!

GAME OVA!!!
Re: Is God Dead? by NwaBiafra: 4:58am On May 12, 2012
IF YOU BELIEVE YOUR GOD IS A MAN, HE PROBABLY DIED OF CANCER IN TODAYS WORLD. BUT IF YOU KNOW GOD/ALLAH/CHINEKE/IS ONE WITH THE UNIVERSE, NEVER ENDING AND NEVER BEGINNING , YOU'VE GOT NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT,

LET YOUR CONSCIOUS BE FREE.
Re: Is God Dead? by thehomer: 11:35am On May 12, 2012
AlvinPlantinga:

I hope you are ready to defend "copy Pasted" material?

Let me see if I can defend this material.

AlvinPlantinga:
2 is not necessarily true.No Christian Philosopher ascribes to premise number 2.Unless you meant "A perfect being would want to prevent all unnecessary and gratuitous evil".which is quite different to your Premise 2.

This implies that there is necessary evil that God cannot prevent yet he created heaven which is supposed to be without evil. How is this possible? The fact that a Christian philosopher doesn't ascribe to the premise doesn't mean it is false.

AlvinPlantinga:
Premise 4 assumes that omnipotence entails the ability to do the logically impossible.

A square circle would be a logical impossibility, but there is nothing logically impossible in a being who knows how evil can occur and can prevent it. Though you could point out the logical impossibility.

AlvinPlantinga:
Premise 5 has problems inherited from Premise 2.Since no distinction was made between unnecessary gratuitous evil and EVIL in general, then 5 is a non starter.

I hope you realize that the Christian God does command unnecessary gratuitous evil so even if one introduced that distinction, it does nothing for the Christian God.

AlvinPlantinga:
Premise 6 and the conclusion suffer the same problems.

They've been addressed.

AlvinPlantinga:
this must be the most amateurish form of the problem of evil i have ever seen.even if somehow the argument was sound,it does not follow that God does not exist. It could just be that an ammoral god exists.i.e a creator god who does not care about evil or good.A Deist sort of God.who simply created the universe and let it "be".

But, if one was a Christian who believed in only one God, it does follow that God does not exist. Note that the problem of evil is used against a particular idea of God i.e a beneficent, omnipotent God not against the general idea of God. If you wish to claim that your God is omnipotent, benficent etc, then the problem of evil stands against it.

This is why in general, the God under discussion is identified and here is taken as being the Christian God.
Re: Is God Dead? by AlvinPlantinga: 12:17pm On May 12, 2012
thehomer:

Let me see if I can defend this material.

This implies that there is necessary evil that God cannot prevent yet he created heaven which is supposed to be without evil. How is this possible?

where is the impossibility?God does not have to deal with Free Willed beings in heaven.

The fact that a Christian philosopher doesn't ascribe to the premise doesn't mean it is false.

It doesn't.And this not what i said.

A square circle would be a logical impossibility, but there is nothing logically impossible in a being who knows how evil can occur and can prevent it. Though you could point out the logical impossibility.

You are right.the contention is the near impossibility of God actualizing a possible world with free willed beings who do not commit acts of evil.(read Plantinga's free will defense and Possible and feasible world terminology.You might also be interested in reading on the topic of Transworld depravity)

I hope you realize that the Christian God does command unnecessary gratuitous evil

No i don't realise that.

so even if one introduced that distinction, it does nothing for the Christian God.

So you say.

They've been addressed.

But, if one was a Christian who believed in only one God, it does follow that God does not exist. Note that the problem of evil is used against a particular idea of God i.e a beneficent, omnipotent God not against the general idea of God. If you wish to claim that your God is omnipotent, benficent etc, then the problem of evil stands against it.

This is why in general, the God under discussion is identified and here is taken as being the Christian God.

Ok.
Re: Is God Dead? by thehomer: 12:37pm On May 12, 2012
AlvinPlantinga:

where is the impossibility?God does not have to deal with Free Willed beings in heaven.

So there is no free will in heaven? I think many Christian philosophers and the Bible disagree with you. e.g do angels have free-will? Keep in mind the fact that some of them were kicked out of heaven.

AlvinPlantinga:
It doesn't.And this not what i said.

You said Christian philosophers don't agree with that premise. My point is that their agreement is irrelevant to whether or not it is true.

AlvinPlantinga:
You are right.the contention is the near impossibility of God actualizing a possible world with free willed beings who do not commit acts of evil.(read Plantinga's free will defense and Possible and feasible world terminology.You might also be interested in reading on the topic of Transworld depravity)

What will reading those works show? If you think they solve the problem, then by all means, use the best one in your argument.

AlvinPlantinga:
No i don't realise that.

Well now you know. He commanded such atrocities in the Bible. You could take a look at Numbers 31.

AlvinPlantinga:
So you say.

If you disagree, then you need to present some argument supporting your case.

AlvinPlantinga:
Ok.

By okay, I take it that you mean the Christian God is the one under discussion.
Re: Is God Dead? by Kay17: 12:43pm On May 12, 2012
good.
evils.
existence.
that evil.

So....is God dead

It would also follow that the creation is the reflection of God's self. By God being perfectly good, where cometh evil?

*note that this refers to the Christian/islamic Gods*
Re: Is God Dead? by Master6(m): 1:30pm On May 12, 2012
Who supports the argument of intelligent design??
Re: Is God Dead? by cyrexx: 1:53pm On May 12, 2012
Re: Is God Dead? by MrAnony1(m): 2:03pm On May 12, 2012
God is a spirit. He is all-powerful, knows all and is everywhere. He transcends space and time and He is all-good, He defines goodness. He is just and He is merciful and full of love. He created everything and beyond Him there is nothing.
This is my God. My bible tells me so.
Re: Is God Dead? by Kay17: 3:50pm On May 12, 2012
cyrexx: @ Master_1
i support the argument of intelligent design, while i dont support the idea of Islamic or Christian God who condemns people to burn alive for eternity in hell fire for not believing in Christ as the only Lord and Savior (Christianity) or for not believing Muhammed is God's messenger (Islam)
I believe there must be a Higher Power somewhere who created this big complex massive gigantic world. or can you design and deploy something bigger and better than this world by yourself?
And from what did he create and design this gigantic super complex world?? From Nothing or Hinself??

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Is The State Of The Dead? / Satan's Attack On The Bible / Night Caterer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.