Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,316 members, 7,826,256 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 11:51 AM

A Test For False Prophets - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Test For False Prophets (918 Views)

Benny Hinn & Pat Robertson, The False Prophets Of The U.S 2012 Election / Is It Right for a Christian to Expose False Prophets and False Teaching ? / Major False Prophets In Nigeria - Must Watch Video added to last page of article (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Test For False Prophets by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:34pm On May 10, 2012
A Test for False Prophets
May 10, 2012

"Ye shall walk after the LORD your God, and fear him, and keep his commandments, and obey his voice, and ye shall serve him, and cleave unto him" (Deuteronomy 13:4)

Our text for today seems somewhat out of place, for it is tucked into a passage dealing with false prophets: instructing the people of Israel in ways to detect one who would lead them into false worship. The penalty was death, "because he hath sought to thrust thee away from the Lord thy God, which brought thee out of the land of Egypt" (v. 10). The purpose was both purification and example, for "all Israel shall hear, and fear, and shall do no more any such wickedness as this is among you" (v. 11).

The chief test of a prophet was not his ability to perform signs and wonders (v. 1). Elsewhere the test of total, lifelong accuracy was applied. "When a prophet speaketh in the name of the LORD, if the thing follow not, nor come to pass, that is the thing which the LORD hath not spoken, but the prophet hath spoken it presumptuously. . . . that prophet shall die" (Deuteronomy 18:22, 20). A more immediate test lay in the absolute harmony of the prophet's message and deeds with the revealed Word of God, and the wholehearted commitment to the Lord Himself. This test takes the form of the holy standard set forth in our text.

Note that an inward attitude will be expressed, as given in the six action verbs. If we are to please God, we must "walk after" or "pursue" Him, and "fear" or "reverence" Him in all things. Furthermore, we must "keep" His commandments, striving to "obey" Him on every issue He addresses. He expects such a one to "serve" Him: to do His bidding. Finally, we must "cleave" or "cling" to Him, holding fast to Him in an ever deepening relationship. To do less is to fail the test used to discern false prophets, incurring at the least His displeasure; at the most His wrath. JDM

For more . . . .
Re: A Test For False Prophets by Ptolomeus(m): 6:28pm On May 10, 2012
OLAADEGBU: "When a prophet speaketh in the name of the LORD, if the thing follow not, nor come to pass, that is the thing which the LORD hath not spoken, but the prophet hath spoken it presumptuously. . . . that prophet shall die" (Deuteronomy 18:22, 20).

Exactly!
All who take scriptures out of context, anyone who uses the Bible to change its contents, all who change the word of God, not only die (we all die eventually, right?), But he has offended God and misled the neighbor. He has worked for Satan, so it will be in hell, burning in eternal fire and brimstone for all eternity (without wine and without women).
Alleluia!
Re: A Test For False Prophets by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:44am On Sep 04, 2012
Preaching against False Teachers
September 4, 2012

"But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea" (Matthew 18:6).

Jude, an earthly brother of our Lord, had become a leader in the early church by the time he wrote his epistle. He had intended "to write unto you of the common salvation" but instead was compelled by God's Spirit to write and "exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith" (Jude 3) against the onslaught of false teachers. He writes "to convince all that are ungodly among them of all their ungodly deeds which they have ungodly committed, and of all their hard speeches which ungodly sinners have spoken against him" (Jude 15).

Few categories of people are so summarily denounced in Scripture as false teachers, those who teach error from within. Nearly every biblical writer echoes God's hatred of them and their work. Here, Jude refers to Enoch's ancient teaching to demonstrate the fact that God has always hated false teachers and has warned them of their doom. Unfortunately, many of today's pulpits and "Christian" airwaves are filled with false teachers and their teaching, leading many astray.

But this is also a lesson to be learned by any who would teach, even born-again, God-gifted teachers. Error is a serious thing in God's eyes, and a Bible teacher must continually submit to God's Word and Spirit to discern and teach only truth. Evidently it would be better for those teachers, seminarians, and others who espouse errors such as humanism, evolution, and other false concepts, that a millstone were hung about their necks and that they drowned in the depth of the sea than to lead astray those "little ones" in their influence. JDM

For more . . . .
Re: A Test For False Prophets by Sweetnecta: 2:49pm On Sep 04, 2012
whats the test for a true prophet? there must be a true prophet who had lived.

if there were never going to be a true prophet, the speaker about false prophet will never have given you the test to know them.
Re: A Test For False Prophets by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:17pm On Sep 04, 2012
Sweetnecta: whats the test for a true prophet? there must be a true prophet who had lived.

if there were never going to be a true prophet, the speaker about false prophet will never have given you the test to know them.

A true prophet will not lead lead you away from worshipping the true God. The end product will lead you into worshipping the true God in spirit and truth.
Re: A Test For False Prophets by Sweetnecta: 4:32pm On Sep 04, 2012
^^^^ is this the test from your bibles or you just made it up, as usual?

@Olaadegbu: give me the verse if you are truthful. otherwise, i will say you are just making things up.
Re: A Test For False Prophets by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:58pm On Sep 04, 2012
Sweetnecta: ^^^^ is this the test from your bibles or you just made it up, as usual?

@Olaadegbu: give me the verse if you are truthful. otherwise, i will say you are just making things up.

The verses you are asking for are right under your nose (The OP). What part don't you understand? Do you want me to translate it into Arabic?
Re: A Test For False Prophets by CrazyMan(m): 5:00pm On Sep 04, 2012
Sweetnecta: ^^^^ is this the test from your bibles or you just made it up, as usual?

1John 4:1-3  Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. 2 This is how you can recognize the Spirit of God: Every spirit that acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, 3 but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you have heard is coming and even now is already in the world.

God asked us to be wise...I watched a video uploded on this forum where a pastor made it clear that christianity is all about the money.

A true child of God would not divert you away from the bible, but would make you embrace it even more...read the passage above and you would find much understanding.
Re: A Test For False Prophets by PastorKun(m): 6:49pm On Sep 04, 2012
Anybody that preaches compulsory tithing as a christian requirement is definitely a false prophet.
Re: A Test For False Prophets by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:56pm On Sep 04, 2012
Pastor Kun:

Anybody that preaches compulsory tithing as a christian requirement is definitely a false prophet.

Since you only come out of the woodwork to talk about tithes or no tights does that not make you a priest of Mammon?
Re: A Test For False Prophets by PastorKun(m): 6:59pm On Sep 04, 2012
OLAADEGBU:

Since you only come out of the woodwork to talk about tithes or no tights does that not make you a priest of Mammon?

The false prophets who preach compulsory tithing includes you and your G.S. tongue
Re: A Test For False Prophets by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:03pm On Sep 04, 2012
Pastor Kun:

The false prophets who preach compulsory tithing includes you and your G.S. tongue

Mammon priest pointing his crooked finger. Guess where the rest of your fingers are pointing to. tongue
Re: A Test For False Prophets by Sweetnecta: 8:18pm On Sep 04, 2012
@Olaadegbu:
by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:58pm

The verses you are asking for are right under your nose (The OP). What part don't you understand? Do you want me to translate it into Arabic?
i missed the verse below in the oped, because you tuck it in the obscure middle. i doubt if you actually believe it because it actually goes to classify the speaker of the verses below it here to be a false prophet: even though i know he wasnt but the bible writers must have lied.

quote from your op post:
The chief test of a prophet was not his ability to perform signs and wonders (v. 1). Elsewhere the test of total, lifelong accuracy was applied. "When a prophet speaketh in the name of the LORD, if the thing follow not, nor come to pass, that is the thing which the LORD hath not spoken, but the prophet hath spoken it presumptuously. . . . that prophet shall die" (Deuteronomy 18:22, 20). A more immediate test lay in the absolute harmony of the prophet's message and deeds with the revealed Word of God, and the wholehearted commitment to the Lord Himself. This test takes the form of the holy standard set forth in our text.
the bold sure will prove the speaker of the below to be false prophet, will you not say? The false prophet shall die; a shameful death i suppose.

mark13 verse 30; "Verily I say unto you, that this generation shall not pass, till all these things be done."
Jesus was talking about his return to the disciples, long before apostle Paul. Alas! Jesus is still not here and you may die waiting, Olaadegbu.

JOHN 16:13-15: "But when he, the Spirit of Truth comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own, he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come. He will bring glory to me by taking from what is mine and making it know to you. All that belongs to the Father is mine. That is why I said the Spirit will take from what is mine and make it known to you."
if the another comforter which is the spirit of truth was not a man with big audible voice, how is the speaker of this verse correct and not a false speaker, false prophet?

JOHN 16:7,8: "But I tell you the truth: It is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Comforter will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you. When he comes he will convict the world of guilt in regard to sin and righteousness and judgment...."
how is a voiceless unnoticed quantity gonna perform the bold, unless a man is to perform it? will the speaker not be a false prophet if a human prophet is the Comforter here, since the comforters] before him was or were humans?
Re: A Test For False Prophets by Sweetnecta: 8:24pm On Sep 04, 2012
@Crazyman and Olaadegbu;
by CrazyMan(m): 5:00pm

1John 4:1-3 Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. 2 This is how you can recognize the Spirit of God: Every spirit that acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, 3 but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you have heard is coming and even now is already in the world.

God asked us to be wise...I watched a video uploded on this forum where a pastor made it clear that christianity is all about the money.

A true child of God would not divert you away from the bible, but would make you embrace it even more...read the passage above and you would find much understanding.
i suppose you will see that from the first bold spirit is prophet.

an i suppose you will recognize that the test of true prophet in the second bold is that such a prophet will need to say Jesus is the Christ. Muhammad [sa] by Quran from his God and by hadith as his Lord permits stated that Jesus is the Christ.
Re: A Test For False Prophets by nedostic: 1:08am On Sep 05, 2012
@Olaadegbu,

Sometimes you become unnecessarily too critical of those who oppose your biblical views.

This should not be the way to handle issues.

I have observed it and I thought I should make it known to you.

That,Pastor Kun and others are critical of tithing, should make you to equally scrutinize the bible on the subject matter and not to fully harp on what you know or believe to be the truth.

Man's greatest problem has always been traditions and its really difficult to break out of it!

Humans by default show unalloyed resistance to change even though change is inevitable for the progressive-minded.

After all, commonsense though its not common for most people these days,demands that we learn to unlearn and equally unlearn to learn.

I do not believe any one has a monopoly of knowledge nay the word of God.

The question I have for is that should tithing if at all, it should be practised by Christians, be in monetary form or in agricultural produce?

More so, who is now a false prophet in this sense?

Hint: Please study DEUTERONOMY 14:22-29

I await your kind response at your convenience.

God bless you!
Re: A Test For False Prophets by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:27am On Sep 05, 2012
nedostic: @Olaadegbu,

Sometimes you become unnecessarily too critical of those who oppose your biblical views.

This should not be the way to handle issues.

I have observed it and I thought I should make it known to you.

That,Pastor Kun and others are critical of tithing, should make you to equally scrutinize the bible on the subject matter and not to fully harp on what you know or believe to be the truth.

Man's greatest problem has always been traditions and its really difficult to break out of it!

Humans by default show unalloyed resistance to change even though change is inevitable for the progressive-minded.

After all, commonsense though its not common for most people these days,demands that we learn to unlearn and equally unlearn to learn.

I do not believe any one has a monopoly of knowledge nay the word of God.

The question I have for is that should tithing if at all, it should be practised by Christians, be in monetary form or in agricultural produce?

More so, who is now a false prophet in this sense?

Hint: Please study DEUTERONOMY 14:22-29

I await your kind response at your convenience.

God bless you!

My advise to you if you have been hoodwinked into believing errors and doctrines of devils is you heed the commandments of the Lord as stated below:

Warning and commandment from the Lord.

"If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness; He is proud, knowing nothing, but doting about questions and strifes of words, whereof comes envy, strife, railings, evil surmisings, Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw yourself" (1 Tim.6:3-5).

"Whosoever transgresses, and abides not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abides in the doctrine of Christ, he has both the Father and the Son" (2 John 9).

"Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which you have learned, and avoid them. For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly, and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple" (Rom.16:17-18 ).

Half a word is enough for the wise.
Re: A Test For False Prophets by Nobody: 1:35am On Sep 05, 2012
OLAADEGBU:

My advise to you if you have been hoodwinked into believing errors and doctrines of devils is you heed the commandments of the Lord as stated below:

"If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness; He is proud, knowing nothing, but doting about questions and strifes of words, whereof comes envy, strife, railings, evil surmisings, Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw yourself" (1 Tim.6:3-5).

"Whosoever transgresses, and abides not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abides in the doctrine of Christ, he has both the Father and the Son" (2 John 9).

"Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which you have learned, and avoid them. For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly, and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple" (Rom.16:17-18 ).

Typical Deeper life threats that amount to nothing.

How on earth could I and my wife have sat under service, Sunday after Sunday with a curse placed on us because we refused to pay tithes and only gave offerings.

Tell me , when the Pastor says, if you do not pay your tithes you are a under a curse, are you suggesting that anyone who challenges this heresy is causing division.

Tithing is foul , period and not supported by scripture. It is an illegal practise that puts God's beloved flock under a burden of compulsion.

Recently a close person to me stopped going to deeper life because she felt no love, the service was monotonous and almost lifeless.

Follow Christ and not a physical church my friend.
Re: A Test For False Prophets by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:55am On Sep 05, 2012
frosbel:

Typical Deeper life threats that amount to nothing.

How on earth could I and my wife have sat under service, Sunday after Sunday with a curse placed on us because we refused to pay tithes and only gave offerings.

Tell me , when the Pastor says, if you do not pay your tithes you are a under a curse, are you suggesting that anyone who challenges this heresy is causing division.

Tithing is foul , period and not supported by scripture. It is an illegal practise that puts God's beloved flock under a burden of compulsion.

Recently a close person to me stopped going to deeper life because she felt no love, the service was monotonous and almost lifeless.

Follow Christ and not a physical church my friend.

The words I quoted are not the words of Deeper Life, they are the words of the living God so don't give a dog a bad name so as to hang it.

"Now we command you, brethren, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you withdraw yourselves from every brother that walks disorderly, and not after the tradition which he received of us" (2 Thess.3:6).

If these words are touching you then it will be wise to take good heed and not despise them.

"He therefore that despises, despises not man, but God, who has also given to us His Holy Spirit" (1 Thess.4:8 ).

The Lord has commanded true Christians to withdraw from brethren who walk dishonestly, to withdraw from disobedient members who harden their hearts and to also withdraw from incorrigible apostates who believe and preach false doctrines. A word is enough for the wise.

Re: A Test For False Prophets by PastorKun(m): 7:12am On Sep 05, 2012
OLAADEGBU:

Olaadegbu did you read the verses of these scriptures you posted? Cos it's clear they are addressing people like you and your ilk who introduce false doctrines like tithes to christianity. It is clear from scripture that monetary tithe from income is NOT a doctrine of christ. We also know from history that this false doctrine was only recently introduced to christianity in the nintheenth century by false preachers trying to use the word of God to make money. It is false tithe preachers like you that are causing division and strife in the church through your false doctrines.
Re: A Test For False Prophets by nedostic: 11:57am On Sep 05, 2012
@Olaadegbu,

Your response to my question has not been answered.

Your bible quotation in your response is totally out of context to the bible verse I quoted.

I would like you to apply your own understanding and not what any church leader or organisation tells you.

I believe we are all here to learn and equally to impact unto lives spiritually.

We do not know it all but we can always 'synergize' to get the truth out of falsehood or what supposedly seems right to us.

Kindly do justice to the bible verse(DEUTERONOMY 14:22-29). What could you deduce from this verse? I am asking you for the second time sir!

Please respond to that bible verse and give us all feedback from your understanding of the aforementioned bible verse.

Kindly clear the air on this issue

Thanks and God bless!
Re: A Test For False Prophets by PastorKun(m): 1:27pm On Sep 05, 2012
nedostic: @Olaadegbu,

Your response to my question has not been answered.

Your bible quotation in your response is totally out of context to the bible verse I quoted.

I would like you to apply your own understanding and not what any church leader or organisation tells you.

I believe we are all here to learn and equally to impact unto lives spiritually.

We do not know it all but we can always 'synergize' to get the truth out of falsehood or what supposedly seems right to us.

Kindly do justice to the bible verse(DEUTERONOMY 14:22-29). What could you deduce from this verse? I am asking you for the second time sir!

Please respond to that bible verse and give us all feedback from your understanding of the aforementioned bible verse.

Kindly clear the air on this issue

Thanks and God bless!

The day Olaadegbu develops the effontery to address the above stated scripture line by line in accordance with untwisted biblical truths, i would stop posting on Nairaland. Deut 14:22-29 is one passage in the bible that tithe preachers hate cause it exposes their tithe doctrine to be a scam and they find it very difficult to put a spin to the scriptures there without looking fooli.sh.
Re: A Test For False Prophets by plappville(f): 2:25pm On Sep 05, 2012
Any church who pressurizes his memebers to tithe should as well do the same with God's Sabbath and his dietery Law. Abi Christ no nail "tithing" as he nail Gods Sabbath (saturday) So much division and disorderness in the body of "christ" a question for Christians yet to be answered. Amos 3:3 do two work together unless they agree to do so? Hence we are not agree with each other, we should all know that we are not bind by Christ. His disciples were in agreement, so why us today fighting each other with verses from the bible? Misinterpretation and misunderstanding of the Bible is the greatest problem of Christians. Strange to say isnt it?
Re: A Test For False Prophets by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:46pm On Dec 23, 2016
Where are all the disciples of false prophets? undecided

(1) (Reply)

Is Exodus 32:14 A Proof That God Is Evil? / The Other Side Of Religion... / When God's Timing Is Taking Too Long

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.