Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,524 members, 7,850,787 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 09:08 AM

University Of Abuja 2017/2018 Admission Updates - Education (40) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / University Of Abuja 2017/2018 Admission Updates (627584 Views)

Poll: which of these is your proposed faculty

Faculty of Law/Arts: 0% (0 votes)
Faculty of Sciences: 0% (0 votes)
Faculty of Education: 0% (0 votes)
Faculty of Management Sciences: 0% (0 votes)
Faculty of Social Sciences: 0% (0 votes)
This poll has ended

Poll: which of these is your proposed faculty?

Faculty of Law/Arts: 28% (15 votes)
Faculty of Sciences: 26% (14 votes)
Faculty of Education: 1% (1 vote)
Faculty of Management Sciences: 17% (9 votes)
Faculty of Social Sciences: 25% (13 votes)
This poll has ended

Olabisi Onabanjo University 2016/2017 Admission Updates And Assistance / Futo 2015/2016 Admission Updates / University Of Abuja(uniabuja) 2015/2016 News Updates (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) ... (261) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: University Of Abuja 2017/2018 Admission Updates by gameplan1(m): 1:37pm On Jan 11, 2013
Jst paste d link,u dnt hav to transfer d whole txt here@presido
Re: University Of Abuja 2017/2018 Admission Updates by Benedict2406: 3:13pm On Jan 11, 2013
I grit U all my pals here, I pray d@ @ D end of dis shoutdown non of us will be a victim, I want evry one of us to tak information from horse mouth before posting it so as not to trash ur record, b/cus we kno you dat used to lie which is not gud at all pls take note, why you say admition list has been pasted and you av not enta d skul not talk of see it wit ur eyes? Besides do not abuse any body we ar here for peace n progress let sue for peace, its Important, pls let any body giv us news on admition list and resumption date tanks you all.
Re: University Of Abuja 2017/2018 Admission Updates by riby07(f): 3:44pm On Jan 11, 2013
francis Newton: guyz i just check uniabuja new collage portal www.unibuja.com n i tink d skool is improvin click undergraduate n click admission notification.dere u will enter ur reg no to c weder u av been given admission xo guyz if d list(2nd) is 'officially' out it will b easy for aspirant far away to know dier fate since it will b uploaded dere its just lyk jamb checkin portal d school is one step forwad!
pls i was givin admision thru jamb nd i tried ds website nd it told me admission nt given yet...
Re: University Of Abuja 2017/2018 Admission Updates by francisNewton(m): 3:57pm On Jan 11, 2013
riby07: pls i was givin admision thru jamb nd i tried ds website nd it told me admission nt given yet...
weder ur name is dere or not ur admission is guaranteed but am sure its only names d skool upload dere dat will b dere may b d dint upload d names of dose jamb gave admssn
Re: University Of Abuja 2017/2018 Admission Updates by Benedict2406: 4:15pm On Jan 11, 2013
Pls any Geography students?,
Re: University Of Abuja 2017/2018 Admission Updates by Sheanoel(m): 7:04pm On Jan 11, 2013
I dnt knw if PRESIDO tinks we dnt knw hw 2 copy nd paste. Atleast u cn drop d link bt i dnt knw wu ure tryin 2 show off. Ive also bin in touch wif d chief internal auditor of sch wu says d list z bin compild meetings r stil on goin nd. D sch z bound 2 resumin soon.
Re: University Of Abuja 2017/2018 Admission Updates by Nobody: 10:35am On Jan 12, 2013
Pls guyz after obtaining the pre-degree form... How am I going to register it.. Is it inside skul or online
Re: University Of Abuja 2017/2018 Admission Updates by mrpresido3: 10:46am On Jan 12, 2013
Professor Nuhu Yakub: My battle with Uni-Abuja council.
Self-effacing and personable, he. comes across as the neighbour next door. But Professor Nuhu Yakub, erstwhile vice chancellor of University of Abuja is an intellectual powerhouse and astute administrator. In deed, these qualities have earned him appointment as helmsman of soon-to-take-off Sokoto State University.

In a recent encounter, the renowned academician x-rayed the nation’s education sector and returns a grim verdict: standards, especially in the tertiary institution have gone for good. But he believes that a rescue mission is still possible. According to him, the commitment of all stakeholders including government at all levels can bring back the golden era. “I think structures should be made available, facilities should be provided, while students should be made as comfortable as possible.”

The professor of political science also speaks on his experience as VC of UNIABUJA and many others issues. What was your experience as VC, University of Abuja?

Talking about corruption in the system now reminds me of my days as University of Abuja as vice chancellor, where members of the institution’s governing council were soliciting for contracts meant for public bidders. I couldn’t just imagine members of my council demanding for such contracts from me. I started wondering what kind of people we had in the system. A lot of us do not appreciate the fact that we are entrusted with enormous responsibilities, which we have to discharge diligently. In fact, what makes the developed countries what they are today is not the volume of natural resources they posses, but the quality of their human resources. Take Japan for instance, they are one of the most famous technologically advanced nations in the world and that is possible because of the power of the human resources they have. Unless governments at all levels realise this, all sectors, including education would continue to experience downward slide.

What were the other challenges?

Another surprise was that admissions were being sold. At a point, I had to struggle to stop it. During my tenure, I made all stakeholders in the institution to understand that my ethics cannot be compromised. Another challenge I had, though not peculiar to university of Abuja, is the inability of our institutions to be autonomous academically, financially and administratively. The way our universities are regulated is far different from what is happening in other climes like America. And every day, we are missing the point. For instance, you are giving somebody research grant and one of the criteria we have to look into is how it advances knowledge. The essence is to add value or to create knowledge. But it is not like that in this country because the regulatory body are there obstructing the creativity of the university. This is not a challenge unique to University of Abuja. It is a general problem that we should begin to address. Nobody should be afraid to criticise the roles of our regulatory body. If you said look, I want to maintain standard, go ahead with it. But within that standard, people should be allowed to create a notch higher than the standard. And in fact, when the researchers create such a notch, it means the bar of knowledge would be raised to another standard. Wole Soyinka, winner of Nobel laurel was able to achieve that because he was unorthodox. If he had followed the tradition, he wouldn’t have been able to write what he wrote. In fact, the universities in the sixties in this country were really centres of excellence, compared to now. The over-bearing attitude of the National University Commission and other regulatory bodies were not there before, so people were able to exercise their interest in the development of education to the fullest. It is a challenge not only for me, but for anybody who is managing tertiary institution in this country. We should be able to create rooms and opportunities for creativity and visionary leadership.

What is your rating of the University of Abuja as at the time you left?

When I was leaving office, no fewer than 62 people applied to succeed me. I am not trying to be arrogant; I excelled in Abuja and I think it was on the basis of my performance that I was given a national honour by the late President Umar Musa Yar’Adua.

What has been your greatest challenge as an administrator?

I always think of how to make the system better. I am driven by the passion to reclaim the good old days. I always think of how we can make the students appreciate the essence of education. Education is the tool that can be used, not only for self-development of an individual, but also for the general development of our society. As a teacher, I had been in the classroom for over forty years now and my headache always is how do we restore the lost glory of education. I am beginning to see school system breaking down with parents’ assuming the teacher’s role through the use of Internet facilities to get knowledge for their children. I also think that government has important roles to play in the system because our population is increasing daily and we still have many children roaming the street. All these could not have happened if only we have a more committed and responsible leadership; leadership that does not rule based on tribal sentiment. I remember in the I960s and early I970s when the nation was still relatively poor but students were being given allowance by the government. That continued until mid-I980s. But today, even though all the state governments are budgeting in billions and Federal Government proposing in trillions of naira, the education system is at the brink of collapse.

If given a chance, how do you intend to correct this trend?

At this point, I would not want to be appointed a minister except I am convinced that Mr. President would to my advice or input. Never! But the fact is that I would also blame myself for being an armchair critic. In advanced countries, we have seen professors that were active in politics. They are there to correct the bad leadership in such countries. That is the kind of a situation I am looking forward to, rather than just playing ‘sidon look’ game.

What is your take on the idea that PhD should be the minimum teaching qualification?

It has to work. We have the facilities and lecturers to realise it. Some of us are getting retired; who will replace the aging ones. So, what I discovered is that if someone is not innately motivated to develop passion for teaching he will not come. There are people that are only looking for incentives to come in and what I think government should be doing is encourage those who aspire to be teachers. We have what it takes to reach the place where the likes of South Korea, Singapore and Malaysia are. All we need is to ensure the facilities are in place. What should stop government from establishing institutions with adequate laboratories? The problem is corruption. We are hearing about N2.6 trillion oil subsidy scam and nothing has been done. If it has been possible to channel such funds to education, you will see solid structures. You have to develop physical structures and improve them. When I was the Vice Chancellor of University of Abuja, the Chinese Embassy sponsored me to a two-week trip to China in 2004 to see how things are over there. I was really amazed with what I saw. One of the things that impressed me at the Department of Mass communication was the television studio, which was much better than any television studio in this country. Just a department’ so, if you think you have something which is okay why not think about developing it and taking it to the next level? So, our problem, apart from corruption, is the inability to think big. Nigerians don’t think big and I think if our leaders and elite who were opportune to travel abroad are sincere to themselves, they will know that all what we are doing is so small and pedestrian. Why can’t we be creative, think big and put the ideas into action? If we do this, the country will change for the better. I think when we have functional federalism, we will move forward. If we actually think big, we will create grand structures that will befit our status. I am convinced that we can actually progress like South Korea and Malaysia. Our weather is good; we have sunlight and can actually tap it to make the country great.

To what extend has your job infringed your privacy?

Well, let me put it this way; I am a person that believes that work cannot kill. And if you have been given an assignment to do, do it properly. Beside that, I have in me a zeal that urges for excellent right from my primary school days. So, I am always working hard just to make sure that I improve myself and other people around me. So, this job is a continuation of where I stop when I left the University of Abuja. And I am used to it because I saw my training as an intellectual and researcher. Someone can say lecturing job is all about writing papers, but to do so, you need the quiet of the night. So, I have been used to working late into the night. In a nutshell, I am really enjoying every bit of my day in this job
Re: University Of Abuja 2017/2018 Admission Updates by gameplan1(m): 10:53am On Jan 12, 2013
Both irrelevant stories....hw doz dis stupid post help anybody??hw pathetic!!
Re: University Of Abuja 2017/2018 Admission Updates by mrpresido3: 12:19pm On Jan 12, 2013
There are strong indications that the special visitation panel approved by President Goodluck Jonathan to probe the University of Abuja (UniAbuja) has recommended for the sack of university’s governing council.

Competent sources at the Federal Ministry of Education, who spoke with Blueprint on the condition of anonymity, said that the report, which was submitted to the government last Friday, condemned the governing council has weak and ineffective.

The report, according to the source, indicted the council of being “at the whims and caprices of the vice chancellor of the university, Prof James Adelabu.”

“This would ultimately lead to the sack of Adelabu. You know that only the council has the power to remove a vice chancellor. But the council have refused to implement the report of previous visitation panel. That was why this one was set in the first case.

The source said that when a new council is constituted by President Jonathan, its first duty would be to implement the reports by previous panels and committees, which include the removal of Adelabu.

“We have already developed whitepapers that indict the leadership of some universities,” she said, “including the University of Abuja, and handed them over to university councils to implement.

“I can assure you that if they don’t, we are ready to take action here from the centre. We are going to take action, even if everyone would lose their jobs.”

The recommendation to displace the governing council, according to the source at the ministry, it seen a move to make true the threat of the ministe
Re: University Of Abuja 2017/2018 Admission Updates by Joeblis(m): 1:23pm On Jan 12, 2013
@mprisdo please try shorten these your stories or post the link..
Re: University Of Abuja 2017/2018 Admission Updates by Joeblis(m): 1:27pm On Jan 12, 2013
yompius10: Pls guyz after obtaining the pre-degree form... How am I going to register it.. Is it inside skul or online
any answers to this?
Re: University Of Abuja 2017/2018 Admission Updates by Richiez(m): 2:42pm On Jan 12, 2013
Joeblis: Pls guyz after obtaining the pre-degree form... How am I going to register it.. Is it inside skul or online any answers to this?

fill the form, go to the school of remedial studies, minicampus gwags and submit with the neccesary credentials.
Re: University Of Abuja 2017/2018 Admission Updates by Nobody: 3:55pm On Jan 12, 2013
Richiez:

fill the form, go to the school of remedial studies, minicampus gwags and submit with the NECESARY CREDENTIALS.

d necesary credentials are photocopies of
*waec or neco rzult
*birth certificate/declaration of age
*indigen form/LG identification form

gudluck.
Re: University Of Abuja 2017/2018 Admission Updates by tunde240(m): 6:26pm On Jan 12, 2013
hello room
Re: University Of Abuja 2017/2018 Admission Updates by tunde240(m): 7:08pm On Jan 12, 2013
which course is not much competitive,urgent reply pls...
Re: University Of Abuja 2017/2018 Admission Updates by tunde240(m): 7:13pm On Jan 12, 2013
which courses are not acredited ?
Re: University Of Abuja 2017/2018 Admission Updates by mrpresido3: 7:57pm On Jan 12, 2013
tunde240: which course is not much competitive,urgent reply pls...
the only 1 I knw is Geography.

1 Like

Re: University Of Abuja 2017/2018 Admission Updates by mrpresido3: 8:24pm On Jan 12, 2013
tunde240: which courses are not acredited ?
The courses are engineering, medicine and veterinary medicine.

1 Like

Re: University Of Abuja 2017/2018 Admission Updates by flaive(m): 10:22pm On Jan 12, 2013
please how much is the school fees for pedigree
Re: University Of Abuja 2017/2018 Admission Updates by gameplan1(m): 10:24pm On Jan 12, 2013
Dey gave d skul a go-ahead on d last one(vertrinary medicine)
Re: University Of Abuja 2017/2018 Admission Updates by francisNewton(m): 12:26pm On Jan 13, 2013
mrpresido3: The courses are engineering, medicine and veterinary medicine.

vet medicine has been acredated i just pity dose poor guyz dat choose medicine if its not accredated b4 admission stuff begins most of u dem will b give vet well i pray all d course r acrredited b4 den so dat we all will get our desired course
Re: University Of Abuja 2017/2018 Admission Updates by tunde240(m): 12:26pm On Jan 13, 2013
when exactly d predegre form wil close and likewise d school fees for d programme?urgent reply
Re: University Of Abuja 2017/2018 Admission Updates by tunde240(m): 12:50pm On Jan 13, 2013
@mrpresido,can u pls share ur phone no with me or any of ur social network?my 2go user name is Tummy4life,phone no 08053205229.
Re: University Of Abuja 2017/2018 Admission Updates by Nobody: 1:14pm On Jan 13, 2013
tunde240: when exactly d predegre form wil close and likewise d school fees for d programme?urgent reply

- Sale of d remedials form continues until d admision list is released, but d earlier u buy & submit, d higher ur chances of getng d admision.
- D schl fee as @ last yr was #30,300, posibly will remain dsam dis yr or maybe a slight difference may ocure.
Re: University Of Abuja 2017/2018 Admission Updates by mrpresido3: 2:00pm On Jan 13, 2013
tunde240: @mrpresido,can u pls share ur phone no with me or any of ur social network?my 2go user name is Tummy4life,phone no 08053205229.
u can also add me on 2go mrpresido3 and bb pin 22A598E7.
Re: University Of Abuja 2017/2018 Admission Updates by mrpresido3: 2:02pm On Jan 13, 2013
francis Newton:
vet medicine has been acredated i just pity dose poor guyz dat choose medicine if its not accredated b4 admission stuff begins most of u dem will b give vet well i pray all d course r acrredited b4 den so dat we all will get our desired course
ok dat is gud den.
Re: University Of Abuja 2017/2018 Admission Updates by tunde240(m): 5:24pm On Jan 13, 2013
@chelcy,I am very grateful for ur response, thanks
Re: University Of Abuja 2017/2018 Admission Updates by mrpresido3: 6:12pm On Jan 13, 2013
I knw exciting hw u feel abt d admss list and resumption date. Just be prayer full because some of u do nt pray at all bt complain always. so dis a time we all hv to pray harder so for d skull to resume dis month. I also want to inform u dat no official report on resumption date yet bt rumors here and there. D new rumors now is dat skull will resume on 24 of dis month. Pls note it's rumors, though sm 1 said a lecturer said it.
Re: University Of Abuja 2017/2018 Admission Updates by flaive(m): 6:20pm On Jan 13, 2013
please is there possibility of buying the form and not getting the admission ? and is there assurance of getting admission into 100 level after the pre degree course /urgent
Re: University Of Abuja 2017/2018 Admission Updates by mrpresido3: 8:15pm On Jan 13, 2013
flaive: please is there possibility of buying the form and not getting the admission ? and is there assurance of getting admission into 100 level after the pre degree course /urgent
if u pass ur exam and candidate ar nt dat much u will b admtd.
Re: University Of Abuja 2017/2018 Admission Updates by francisNewton(m): 11:34pm On Jan 13, 2013
mrpresido3: I knw exciting hw u feel abt d admss list and resumption date. Just be prayer full because some of u do nt pray at all bt complain always. so dis a time we all hv to pray harder so for d skull to resume dis month. I also want to inform u dat no official report on resumption date yet bt rumors here and there. D new rumors now is dat skull will resume on 24 of dis month. Pls note it's rumors, though sm 1 said a lecturer said it.
na now u talk lyk real presido
mrpresido3: I knw exciting hw u feel abt d admss list and resumption date. Just be prayer full because some of u do nt pray at all bt complain always. so dis a time we all hv to pray harder so for d skull to resume dis month. I also want to inform u dat no official report on resumption date yet bt rumors here and there. D new rumors now is dat skull will resume on 24 of dis month. Pls note it's rumors, though sm 1 said a lecturer said it.
na now u talk lyk real presido

(1) (2) (3) ... (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) ... (261) (Reply)

2017/2018 PTDF Scholarship Scheme (Overseas And Local) / Nigerian Defence Academy Admission Processes..........68-76RC / 2016/2017 Uniben Admission Thread Guide.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.