Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,849 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:10 PM

Benefits Of Using Coolants Versus Water In Car Radiators. - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Benefits Of Using Coolants Versus Water In Car Radiators. (112792 Views)

Usage Of Coolants & Water For Radiators / Coolants: Types And When To Flush It. / Truth About Radiator Coolants (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Benefits Of Using Coolants Versus Water In Car Radiators. by dandollar1: 11:29pm On Jul 15, 2013
Ikenna351:

Am not saying ABRO coolant is not ok, but that as far as that one in the container i earlier mentioned is concerned, stay away. Na akuraku! Been there.

For me, I use TOTAL coolant for my Lions and it does perfect job for them. Its green colour coolant. A container (1 litre) of TOTAL coolant is N350.

Whichever brand of coolant you decide to buy, make sure is not that yellow container.

Ikenna
Ikenna351:
Ikenna351:
well,do you think I can use the same total coolant for my honda? Where do you buy yours please?

Am not saying ABRO coolant is not ok, but that as far as that one in the container i earlier mentioned is concerned, stay away. Na akuraku! Been there.

For me, I use TOTAL coolant for my Lions and it does perfect job for them. Its green colour coolant. A container (1 litre) of TOTAL coolant is N350.

Whichever brand of coolant you decide to buy, make sure is not that yellow container.

Ikenna

Ikenna
Re: Benefits Of Using Coolants Versus Water In Car Radiators. by dandollar1: 11:35pm On Jul 15, 2013
@ikenna, do u know if I can use this total coolant for honda? Please, where do u normaly buy from?
Re: Benefits Of Using Coolants Versus Water In Car Radiators. by Ikenna351(m): 1:04am On Jul 16, 2013
dan_dollar: @ikenna, do u know if I can use this total coolant for honda? Please, where do u normaly buy from?

From TOTAL filing stations.

And i dont know if the TOTAL coolant is good for Hondas since i dont drive Honda.

Ikenna
Re: Benefits Of Using Coolants Versus Water In Car Radiators. by chikasin4(m): 8:44pm On Jul 16, 2013
@ Ikenna, pls which coolant is good for toyota V6 engines, my car manual say Toyota coolant to b used, but it is not here in Nigeria

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benefits Of Using Coolants Versus Water In Car Radiators. by Ikenna351(m): 8:47pm On Jul 16, 2013
chikasin4: @ Ikenna, pls which coolant is good for toyota V6 engines, my car manual say Toyota coolant to b used, but it is not here in Nigeria

Honestly, I don't know. I wish i could help. I only know the brand that works well for my Lions.

Ikenna
Re: Benefits Of Using Coolants Versus Water In Car Radiators. by JUO(m): 12:10pm On Jul 17, 2013
And i dont know if the TOTAL coolant is good for Hondas since i dont drive Honda.
why don't u mark the temperature before giving it a trail. if it doesn't work u leak it
Re: Benefits Of Using Coolants Versus Water In Car Radiators. by okeyz(m): 11:11am On Nov 28, 2013
dan_dollar: @ikenna, do u know if I can use this total coolant for honda? Please, where do u normaly buy from?

The Total coolant is good for Honda cars , I use it and it has been working perfectly. it was recommended to me by car technician at total filing station @ Apapa. the quality is same with that of Honda coolant
Re: Benefits Of Using Coolants Versus Water In Car Radiators. by coalcoal1(m): 7:06pm On May 31, 2015
I've been having overheating issues with my car especially when the AC is on in the afternoon. The water level usually drops and increase in temperature is noticed. I'll try out the total coolant and see how it goes. I'll come back here to tell the result.
Re: Benefits Of Using Coolants Versus Water In Car Radiators. by nurey(m): 8:22pm On May 31, 2015
First of all, let's start with thermostat. A thermostat is like and automatic tap, which is designed to STOP or ALLOW the passage of coolant from your radiator to the engine and back.

The thermostat like any other component can go bad and stop its normal function, it goes bad in two ways

1. It remains open, this one let's coolant through whether the engine is hot or not increasing the time for the engine to get to optimum working temperature.

2. It remains closed or partially closed, this causes reduction in coolant flow leading to over heating of the engine

KAZEEM will remove the thermostat and allow continuous flow of coolant, though ur engine won't over heat but fuel consumption will be on the high.

Now to why coolant shud be used than water
Water has a boiling point of 100degrees while coolant is always higher, my car engine optimum temp is around 96degrees, if I am using only only water, the water will already be boiling at that temp but at a reduced rate, the adverse effect is pressure would have increased in the cooling system causing water molecules to bombard the hose wall which leads to hose degradation.

What u will then see is cracks in the rubber hose and eventually leaks in the cooling system.

That's the reason you see you uninformed neighbor filling his radiator often due to loss of water by evaporation.

1 Like

Re: Benefits Of Using Coolants Versus Water In Car Radiators. by boazic: 10:08pm On May 31, 2015
Kitomania:
Hey pls I need an advise my mechanic want to remove termostart for Mazda I wana know if there problem to remove it...

Could this be Kazeem embarassed
Kitomania:
Hey pls I need an advise my mechanic want to remove termostart for Mazda I wana know if there problem to remove it...

Could this be Kazeem!
Re: Benefits Of Using Coolants Versus Water In Car Radiators. by erico2k2(m): 10:24pm On May 31, 2015
LeJeun3:

Unfortunately, his mechanic could be right. When cars r designed for Temperate regions like Nigeria, certain things r taken into consideration. So a car wit a single cell radiator will do well in a place like russia or uk, however would experience difficulties in Nigeria. I've had a radiator change and it totally solved my overheating problem.
Note: like someone said above a 50/50 mixture would do just fine. (a can of coolant to a full radiator).
Remove that mentality of car being tropicalized from your brain my friend, its a myth, cars are made to fit into every region.Just to prove a point, from your analogy cars made i n Germany wont survive i n san Francisco or texas

2 Likes

Re: Benefits Of Using Coolants Versus Water In Car Radiators. by erico2k2(m): 10:29pm On May 31, 2015
georgeidoni:

Somebody should please tell somebody that coolant do not solve overheating problem. Coolant (the antifreeze - the pink colored one) used in temperate region where temperature goes below 0 degree Celsius ensures that the coolant do not turn to ice block inside the radiator and engine as the case with ordinary water which freezes at zero degree Celsius. The other coolant - Anti-rust (the green one) ensures that the metal parts of your engine and the radiator are not corroded by inhibiting the metals from rusting. It also serves to lubricate the water pump and free it from seizing, that may arise from corrosion.If the engine is over heating, look for the cause. It might be blown head gasket, corroded radiator due to rust, stuck closed thermostat, leaking radiator, leaking cooling system hose and bad radiator cap. Kindly follow and like: www.facebook.com/autofixitplus for more tips and car issues
Somebody should also tel somebody that anti freeze is not a coolant, its an addative that prevents your coolant from freezing over

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benefits Of Using Coolants Versus Water In Car Radiators. by coalcoal1(m): 2:47pm On Jun 01, 2015
@ikenna351
I just want to say a big thank you for your contributions on this thread. my overheating problems actually started after one of the radiator fans stopped working. It just dawned on me that I had replaced the water in the radiator without adding coolant after replacing the faulty fan. I followed Ikenna's advice and bought Total coolant at N350 and so far, the temperature is normal. the final test will be when I travel later today to Ibadan with the AC on. if it still does not show any sign of overheating, that means the problem is solved .
can you imagine that my mechanic had already started suggesting a gasket change?

3 Likes

Re: Benefits Of Using Coolants Versus Water In Car Radiators. by Ikenna351(m): 6:28am On Jun 02, 2015
coalcoal1:
@ikenna351
I just want to say a big thank you for your contributions on this thread. my overheating problems actually started after one of the radiator fans stopped working. It just dawned on me that I had replaced the water in the radiator without adding coolant after replacing the faulty fan. I followed Ikenna's advice and bought Total coolant at N350 and so far, the temperature is normal. the final test will be when I travel later today to Ibadan with the AC on. if it still does not show any sign of overheating, that means the problem is solved .
can you imagine that my mechanic had already started suggesting a gasket change?

That's good to hear. Congrats!

Ikenna

1 Like

Re: Benefits Of Using Coolants Versus Water In Car Radiators. by shamecurls(m): 10:53am On Jun 02, 2015
dandollar1:
its abro, but in a 1 litre container.
If abro is not ok,please which do you advice I go for? The car is an 07 accord. Thanx

Total Coolant
Re: Benefits Of Using Coolants Versus Water In Car Radiators. by worldstores2005: 8:38am On Jan 15, 2017
car doc please my gear disengage at time maybe if I want to climb maybe something a little high then it will make hmmmmm and then move again so I went to scan and this code came out please explain to me. It is camry tiny light

Code001
P0141 oxygen sensor
Heater Circuit
(Bank 1 Sensor 2)

Code002
P0325 Knock Sensor 1 
Circuit (Bank 1 or single sensor)

Code003 
P0401 Exhaust Gas recirculation flow
Insufficient Detected

Code004
P1210 sub Injector Circuit

Code005
P0141 Oxygen Sensor History
Heater Circuit (Bank 1 Sensor 2)

Code006
P0325 Knock Sensor 1 History Circuit
( Bank 1 or Single Sensor)

Code007
P0401 Exhaust Gas History Recirculation Flow
Insufficient Detected

Code008
P1210 Sub Injector History Circuit

Please help me explain what the problem is and why the gear disengage at times

1 Like

Re: Benefits Of Using Coolants Versus Water In Car Radiators. by nurey(m): 9:00am On Jan 15, 2017
worldstores2005:
car doc please my gear disengage at time maybe if I want to climb maybe something a little high then it will make hmmmmm and then move again so I went to scan and this code came out please explain to me. It is camry tiny light

Code001
P0141 oxygen sensor
Heater Circuit
(Bank 1 Sensor 2)

Code002
P0325 Knock Sensor 1 
Circuit (Bank 1 or single sensor)

Code003 
P0401 Exhaust Gas recirculation flow
Insufficient Detected

Code004
P1210 sub Injector Circuit

Code005
P0141 Oxygen Sensor History
Heater Circuit (Bank 1 Sensor 2)

Code006
P0325 Knock Sensor 1 History Circuit
( Bank 1 or Single Sensor)

Code007
P0401 Exhaust Gas History Recirculation Flow
Insufficient Detected

Code008
P1210 Sub Injector History Circuit

Please help me explain what the problem is and why the gear disengage at times

All this codes too much oooo nah only you Waka come?

Go back to the scan guy, tell him to clear all the codes make sure why leaving his place there is no check engine light illuminated. Now drive the car till the check engine comes out again then go back to him to rescan and collect all the codes.

For your gear, he needs to scan that too if you have abs illuminated he should also scan your abs system, make sure he gives you all the codes recorded by the machine.

A NLder sells a small Bluetooth scanner here for 2500,if you have android phone you can buy it and use as it, it can only scan engine error codes.

Now after you have gotten the codes open a new thread stating your car make and model, engine type, your state of abode and what mechanics have done so far on the car. Then we shall assist you in solving the issues one by one.

Note: if you don't open your own thread and follow my instructions I will not answer you when you call me out.

1 Like

Re: Benefits Of Using Coolants Versus Water In Car Radiators. by princemillla(m): 10:40am On Jan 15, 2017
nurey:

All this codes too much oooo nah only you Waka come?

Go back to the scan guy, tell him to clear all the codes make sure why leaving his place there is no check engine light illuminated. Now drive the car till the check engine comes out again then go back to him to rescan and collect all the codes.

For your gear, he needs to scan that too if you have abs illuminated he should also scan your abs system, make sure he gives you all the codes recorded by the machine.

A NLder sells a small Bluetooth scanner here for 2500,if you have android phone you can buy it and use as it, it can only scan engine error codes.

Now after you have gotten the codes open a new thread stating your car make and model, engine type, your state of abode and what mechanics have done so far on the car. Then we shall assist you in solving the issues one by one.

Note: if you don't open your own thread and follow my instructions I will not answer you when you call me out.

Just like I was expecting you to be the first person to respond to that endless faulty codes my instinct just doesn't disappointed me Seems you love codes just like you said to me last year "only God can revive your car' tongue
Re: Benefits Of Using Coolants Versus Water In Car Radiators. by nurey(m): 11:00am On Jan 15, 2017
princemillla:

Just like I was expecting you to be the first person to respond to that endless faulty codes my instinct just doesn't disappointed me Seems you love codes just like you said to me last year "only God can revive your car' tongue

My brother, I am an Internet mechanic nah. With error codes, I can use common sense to direct a real mechanic on what to do, as long as I know the basics. Without error codes, nah trial and error version 2.0.lol

How is the quest, did you sell it or its a keeper?
Re: Benefits Of Using Coolants Versus Water In Car Radiators. by princemillla(m): 1:53pm On Jan 15, 2017
nurey:

My brother, I am an Internet mechanic nah. With error codes, I can use common sense to direct a real mechanic on what to do, as long as I know the basics. Without error codes, nah trial and error version 2.0.lol

How is the quest, did you sell it or its a keeper?

Am still keeping the quest ooo e still dey serve me but I am hoping to sell it and replace with 2011 model
Re: Benefits Of Using Coolants Versus Water In Car Radiators. by nurey(m): 3:22pm On Jan 15, 2017
princemillla:

Am still keeping the quest ooo e still dey serve me but I am hoping to sell it and replace with 2011 model

I have only seen one in my life that 2011 upwards Goodluck hehehe
Re: Benefits Of Using Coolants Versus Water In Car Radiators. by princemillla(m): 3:47pm On Jan 15, 2017
nurey:

I have only seen one in my life that 2011 upwards Goodluck hehehe

Really I just like quest with their technology but it's wahalaful May be cuz I dey buy Nigerian used

One day sha I go buy tear rubber

(1) (2) (Reply)

Igbo Big Boys Storm Their Village With Their Cars For Christmas. (photos, Video) / Let's Talk About Automatic Transmission Fluid (gear Oil) / "The Car Is Worth 100m, The Cloth Is 15k A Yard", Young Northerner Brags

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.