Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,531 members, 7,819,911 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:24 AM

Calling On All Coders & Web Developers, Please Advice Me On Social Community - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Calling On All Coders & Web Developers, Please Advice Me On Social Community (1271 Views)

Want To Be A Mod On A Social Community? (join Our Team For 2017) / Developers Please I Need Your Help. / Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Calling On All Coders & Web Developers, Please Advice Me On Social Community by green10119(m): 8:41pm On May 23, 2012
Calling on all coders & web developers, please advice me on the best social community to add on my site www.greenlandng.com it's a software site that offers downloads to it's user's, with News page which also includes software reviews, Tech news and more. Please i don't want a forum, i only want a very functional social community where members can share ideas on software's, write reviews or maybe submit news update on their status and still be able to answer questions asked by other members on software usage, errors and fix's then gain point for each questions answered.

Please all suggestions are welcomed you can also go ahead to share any site you think i can learn from.
Re: Calling On All Coders & Web Developers, Please Advice Me On Social Community by yawatide(f): 9:06pm On May 23, 2012
If you have $150, I would advise that you get the middle-tier version of jomSocial. It will be the best $150 you will ever spend on software - period!

1 Like

Re: Calling On All Coders & Web Developers, Please Advice Me On Social Community by soloqy: 9:21pm On May 23, 2012
yawa-ti-de:
If you have $150, I would advise that you get the middle-tier version of jomSocial. It will be the best $150 you will ever spend on software - period!

But you didnt ask him whether his main site is done in joomla or has jomsocial done a stand alone version?
Re: Calling On All Coders & Web Developers, Please Advice Me On Social Community by green10119(m): 9:24pm On May 23, 2012
yawa-ti-de:

Thanks so much for your advice bro, never had of jomSocial before, just had of it from you but the problem is my site is not based on joomla platform so how do i work around that challenge now
Re: Calling On All Coders & Web Developers, Please Advice Me On Social Community by green10119(m): 9:32pm On May 23, 2012
soloqy:

But you didnt ask him whether his main site is done in joomla or has jomsocial done a stand alone version?

Yeah Sology, that's the problem my site is not a joomla site, and am not sure that jomsocial com be customized to work on any platform though i'll go ahead to mail them now.
Re: Calling On All Coders & Web Developers, Please Advice Me On Social Community by yawatide(f): 11:47pm On May 23, 2012

It is not my place to dig into OP's brain cells. He asked a question and I answered. If the site isn't joomla-based, it is on the OP to say so. Again, he asked a general question and I gave a general answer.

Back to OP:
In the absence of joomla, you might want to look at NING or Dolphin. These are not tied to any platform, provided your server is linux-based.

Soloqy:
Any more smart alec retort this time? tongue
Re: Calling On All Coders & Web Developers, Please Advice Me On Social Community by green10119(m): 12:20am On May 24, 2012
Checked out the two scripts or apps but that's not what am looking for, i need a program i can customize as an additional tab on my site with few categories when clicked on. Like Profile, Share, Review, Update status, Share software tips & Q&A for points and rating.
Re: Calling On All Coders & Web Developers, Please Advice Me On Social Community by yamakuza: 12:49am On May 24, 2012
green10119: Checked out the two scripts or apps but that's not what am looking for, i need a program i can customize as an additional tab on my site with few categories when clicked on. Like Profile, Share, Review, Update status, Share software tips & Q&A for points and rating.

what CMS are you using? Custom or open source?

Joomla, Drupal and Wordpress have enough plugins/components for this kind of thing.
Re: Calling On All Coders & Web Developers, Please Advice Me On Social Community by yawatide(f): 1:03am On May 24, 2012
he he, OP, at this rate, you might want to look at coding one from scratch.

and soloqy et al, just because a site isn't based on joomla doesn't mean you can't have joomla installed in a specific directory and customize it such that the look and feel is seamless when you switch from one folder to the next. I should know: I did a site last year that is part "code from scratch" PHP, part wordpress (for their blog) and part joomla (jomsocial: for their social community). As you click from one tab to the next, you almost couldn't tell that you were using a site with 3 different web apps.

As yama has said, there are tons of plug ins for each of these CMS tools. I guess d koko is in one's ability to master them, and use them to their advantage.

1 Like

Re: Calling On All Coders & Web Developers, Please Advice Me On Social Community by moderattor: 7:22am On May 24, 2012
@OP install jomsocial in another directory and get a programmer to merge ur site with it.
All they have to do is track the user session on your real site and use it to automatically log your user into your jomsocial part of the site when they get there.
They won't realise they've changed states if the theme of the joomsocial site was made identical.
If u need one from scratch, and u have upto N500,000 to pay a programmer, i'll spin one for you.
I just used jomsocial as an example, if you are financially constrained, remember that you can customise SMF to that extent.
Yeah i've seen such on a foreign site years ago.
Re: Calling On All Coders & Web Developers, Please Advice Me On Social Community by soloqy: 10:15am On May 24, 2012
yawa-ti-de:

Soloqy:
Any more smart alec retort this time? tongue

^^^^^^^^^^
This..... Unnecessary .....
Re: Calling On All Coders & Web Developers, Please Advice Me On Social Community by yawatide(f): 11:30am On May 24, 2012
Soloqy, Oh, so yours was necessary, right? Can't take a dose of your own medication? tongue
Re: Calling On All Coders & Web Developers, Please Advice Me On Social Community by soloqy: 12:11pm On May 24, 2012
yawa-ti-de:
Soloqy, Oh, so yours was necessary, right? Can't take a dose of your own medication? tongue

What exactly did I do? What medecine are you talking about?
Re: Calling On All Coders & Web Developers, Please Advice Me On Social Community by green10119(m): 12:19pm On May 24, 2012
yamakuza:

what CMS are you using? Custom or open source?

Joomla, Drupal and Wordpress have enough plugins/components for this kind of thing.

It's none of those CMS it's more of my work, am trying to see if i can come up with something of my own but with examples to learn from.
Re: Calling On All Coders & Web Developers, Please Advice Me On Social Community by green10119(m): 12:34pm On May 24, 2012
The main idea is customizing an additional tab on my site with few categories when clicked on. Like Profile, Share, Review, Update status, Share software tips & Answering questions on the Q&A section for points and rating, with all the needed social sharing buttons. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Calling On All Coders & Web Developers, Please Advice Me On Social Community by Slyr0x: 1:01pm On May 24, 2012

1 Like

Re: Calling On All Coders & Web Developers, Please Advice Me On Social Community by bakenda(m): 1:14pm On May 24, 2012
how about converting your site to joomla and using jomSocial?

1 Like

Re: Calling On All Coders & Web Developers, Please Advice Me On Social Community by green10119(m): 1:19pm On May 24, 2012
Slyr0x:

This is not totally true as you use the same Opensource script as the websites below

http://www.downloadko.com/index.php?a=prog&os=Windows&cat=Business&subcat=Applications&det=URL-Organizer-1
http://www.isoftpedia.com/sources/site_map.php?os=windows&cat=business
http://spidersoft.in/sources/site_map.php?os=Windows&cat=Business
http://www.zownload.com/sources/site_map.php?os=windows&cat=business
http://www.10kdownloads.com/index.php?a=prog&os=windows&cat=business&subcat=calculators-converters&det=prime-factor-calculator
http://www.my-softs.com/

So the question again is: What CMS are you using? Custom or open source?.

Your response would fetch you the required answer. .

Yeah you are right we use the same skin and PAD database for software and skin but it doesn't work the same way i know what i meant it's more of my work, still even with the pad database you can't get the feature am looking for now they only connect you to get direct software submissions from software developers
Re: Calling On All Coders & Web Developers, Please Advice Me On Social Community by moderattor: 2:27pm On May 24, 2012
green10119:

Yeah you are right we use the same skin and PAD database for software and skin but it doesn't work the same way i know what i meant it's more of my work, still even with the pad database you can't get the feature am looking for now they only connect you to get direct software submissions from software developers
kill your pride and get a help.
It looks like the same software with cnet.
Re: Calling On All Coders & Web Developers, Please Advice Me On Social Community by green10119(m): 2:38pm On May 24, 2012
moderattor: kill your pride and get a help.
It looks like the same software with cnet.

Gush what pride seems you have a problem here is said YES it is the same GUSH i need suggestions not this your going about what do you want to here ask again and i'll tell you nothing like pride here it's not CMS we all know it's PAD DB so tell me what you want to hear i need the help haba undecided undecided
Re: Calling On All Coders & Web Developers, Please Advice Me On Social Community by moderattor: 4:12pm On May 24, 2012
green10119:

Gush what pride seems you have a problem here is said YES it is the same GUSH i need suggestions not this your going about what do you want to here ask again and i'll tell you nothing like pride here it's not CMS we all know it's PAD DB so tell me what you want to hear i need the help haba undecided undecided
now you are talking.
Have you googled 'plugins for pad db' ?
You could find something you could tinker into what you want.
Also don't forget to checkout their licence, it could be a problem when your business grows large.

1 Like

Re: Calling On All Coders & Web Developers, Please Advice Me On Social Community by green10119(m): 7:28pm On May 24, 2012
moderattor: now you are talking.
Have you googled 'plugins for pad db' ?
You could find something you could tinker into what you want.
Also don't forget to checkout their license, it could be a problem when your business grows large.

Good point, i have also searched but nothing like that i think they just help you with PAD DB for easy software submission through pad files, then you can go ahead and customize the way you like sad but the main issue is i have not seen what am looking for as listed above in my previous posts, but i'll try to see is i can come up with something from SOLOGY'S ideas, though am still open for suggestions.
Re: Calling On All Coders & Web Developers, Please Advice Me On Social Community by yamakuza: 8:30pm On May 24, 2012
green10119:

It's none of those CMS it's more of my work, am trying to see if i can come up with something of my own but with examples to learn from.

why not also install/combine with jomsocial or BuddyPress and use Oauth/SSO? Even Facebook Connect/Social Plugin.

You can as well code from scratch anywayz.
Re: Calling On All Coders & Web Developers, Please Advice Me On Social Community by soloqy: 9:33pm On May 24, 2012
green10119:

Good point, i have also searched but nothing like that i think they just help you with PAD DB for easy software submission through pad files, then you can go ahead and customize the way you like sad but the main issue is i have not seen what am looking for as listed above in my previous posts, but i'll try to see is i can come up with something from SOLOGY'S ideas, though am still open for suggestions.

Yamakuza's and Yawatide's ideas you meant to say?
Re: Calling On All Coders & Web Developers, Please Advice Me On Social Community by moderattor: 11:28pm On May 24, 2012
green10119:

Did you checkout my first suggestion. I consider it something an average programmer can fix for you. If you know a bit close to average in programming you can look into the database and the codes to see how it can be changed.
Secondly when you finally adjust to what you want. would you mind changing the layout so it will not appear like CNET or some of those other download sites.
It has to appear unique like your personality has depicted.
My 2 cents.
Re: Calling On All Coders & Web Developers, Please Advice Me On Social Community by green10119(m): 11:42pm On May 24, 2012
Yeah yamakuza i'll start playing with every single suggestion i got here tonight and see what i can come up with, will still be needing help as i do this, am hopping to finish soonest cos am done with the new design which i'll attach for you guys to advice me on too.

Re: Calling On All Coders & Web Developers, Please Advice Me On Social Community by green10119(m): 12:00am On May 25, 2012
moderator:
Did you checkout my first suggestion. I consider it something an average programmer can fix for you. If you know a bit close to average in programming you can look into the database and the codes to see how it can be changed.
Secondly when you finally adjust to what you want. would you mind changing the layout so it will not appear like CNET or some of those other download sites.
It has to appear unique like your personality has depicted.
My 2 cents.

Your 2 cent is worth millions to me @moderator i so much appreciate you guys, and would be very grateful if i can get help when i start working too cheesy cheesy cheesy you guys have been wonderful, please take a look at what i have been able to come up with on the main three pages and suggest, 1 Color combination 2 Page setup 3 Tabs to change, thanks in advance.
Re: Calling On All Coders & Web Developers, Please Advice Me On Social Community by moderattor: 9:50am On May 25, 2012
on another note
where will you be getting softwares for download?
We dont have up to a hundred worth downloading indigeneous softwares.
If its just any software, remember giants like brothersoft, cnet etc smiley
you may not stand a chance.
If you are later forced into music downloads, that may look more realisable.
Lastly how on earth do you expect to make money from this? Adsense?
Re: Calling On All Coders & Web Developers, Please Advice Me On Social Community by green10119(m): 11:20am On May 25, 2012
moderattor: on another note
where will you be getting softwares for download?
We dont have up to a hundred worth downloading indigeneous softwares.
If its just any software, remember giants like brothersoft, cnet etc smiley
you may not stand a chance.
If you are later forced into music downloads, that may look more realisable.
Lastly how on earth do you expect to make money from this? Adsense?

Thanks for the points but i belong to all software affiliate communities same as the so called giants that's not a single problem to me, as for how i make money each software sold on my site gives me close to 80% commission per sale, and i know content is king so if i play my card well plus my community idea then nothing like giants to stand in my way grin grin grin grin grin just advise me on design and the matters at hand lol thanks.
Re: Calling On All Coders & Web Developers, Please Advice Me On Social Community by green10119(m): 7:20pm On May 25, 2012
Hello guys i think i found something good for my community the Yahoo answers sames to be the perfect fit i just have to study it and create something unique out of that grin grin grin grin will be getting to work asap, thanks all.

(1) (Reply)

Alas! Wikipedia Finally Joins Advertising Network / Do You Know You Can Use An Image To Describe Your Search On Google / Open And Verify Paypal Accounts Using Bank Accounts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.