Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,253 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:29 AM

Which Do I Choose? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Which Do I Choose? (933 Views)

Which Do I Choose; Marriage Or Job? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Do I Choose? by Mumsluv: 9:04pm On May 25, 2012
Hi mums in the house. I am in a fix presently cos i have a serious decision to make. I am about to start work but in a delimma on where to choose cos of my young kids. I have the option of working close to home(5mins drive), doing sch runs & not earn much or working further from home(20mins drive), putting my kids on school bus(dreadful thought cos of the way they pile them in the buses) & earning better. I really want to stay close cos of my kids but i also really want to earn more at least to support my husband cos of the economic situation in the country. Pls i need serious mature advise only. MODS pls kindly leave this in the family section. Thank you
Re: Which Do I Choose? by Odunnu: 10:00pm On May 25, 2012
If I had your options, I wont hesitate picking the first, ie, the nearer, schoolrun, 5mts drive cheap pay. With all these 'flicks' on the 'www' and the stories I hear, I wont mind being a housewife to protect and give my children a good start in life

1 Like

Re: Which Do I Choose? by feminineA: 10:37pm On May 25, 2012
The closer the better. The pay isn't about it all the time.been there for your kids is also crucial
Re: Which Do I Choose? by EfemenaXY: 2:11am On May 26, 2012
@poster, you need to look into the following factors first before making any practical decisions:

* Location: Where are you based? If in Nigeria, couldn't you get a househelp / nanny or family member to help you take the kids to & from school?

* Childcare: If on the other hand you're based in the UK for example, why not have a discussion with your husband for starters to see if he could help with (or probably take over completely) the school runs? If that isn't a practical approach for you both, then you need to consider the affordable childcare options available to you. A lot depends on the number of kids you've got and their respective ages. The younger the kids, the more expensive it is for childcare. For those in primary school, you might want to consider signing up for both Breakfast Clubs and After School Clubs for them. Most schools in London offer this facility to working parents for a small fee. The hours are typically between 8:00am - 6:00pm.

* Pay: You need to consider the difference in pay between the two jobs. Is it just marginal or is the difference between the pay packets significant? I once had a part time job that literally paid peanuts but the hours were flexible, distance was 30mins from home, and I'd finish early enough to get home, prepare dinner for the kids before picking them up from nursery & primary school. However I later got a much, much better job and even though the distance was double, it was a no brainer.

You know your family's financial situation better then anyone else here, so you'll ultimately make the best decision for your family.

Goodluck smiley
Re: Which Do I Choose? by Nobody: 6:58am On May 26, 2012
@OP just like @Efe just said, your spouse can take over the kids drop off and pick ups for you afterall the money you are going to earn is for everybody? My Job is 45mins(plus bfast&coffee drivrthru stop)drive everyday and I pick up the kids but my spouse drops them off in the morning.

Also you need look at the expenses on before and after schl program if its worth the trouble or not, if the difference is good then I'd advice you to go for it.

As for me, I will work any area as long as there is a road.

Best of luck .
Re: Which Do I Choose? by Nobody: 9:47am On May 26, 2012
Re: Which Do I Choose? by Mumsluv: 11:37am On May 26, 2012
Thanks all for your honest & sincere advise. I have stayed home for 8years cos of my kids & i feel its time i also consider myself but i dont want to expose them unnecessarily. Its not easy been a mum cos you make a lot of sacrifices. I'l consider the job nearer home at least till when they are much older( but they always remain as babies in our eyes). Thank you

(1) (Reply)

Female Circumcision. / Swedish Mothers Rage Against Balcony Flasher / Baby Process From 0 Month To 9 Months(video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.