Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,773 members, 7,955,954 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 07:34 PM

Do Igalas See Themselves As Yorubas? (Official Igala Thread) - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Do Igalas See Themselves As Yorubas? (Official Igala Thread) (30493 Views)

The Igala People In Anambra State / Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? / Middlebelt Zone-Nupes,Idomas,Igalas,Ebiras,Tivs,Kabbas,Biroms,Fulani,Katafs etc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do Igalas See Themselves As Yorubas? (Official Igala Thread) by Abagworo(m): 8:42pm On Jun 16, 2012
samkoro: 80% of Igalas has Nri(very ancient Igbo civilization) Origin/roots.Besides history ,I never knew this until my youth service days.I meet some of them looked exactly Igbo;then I came to conclude that blood do not lie.

.It was very interesting.I kept observing them with keen interest.Some told me they still maintain their relationship with a particular community in Anambra where their fore fathers came from.
Revolva:

That's true if you see an igala especially the christain ones from southern kogi state that shares direct border with anambra and delta and edo you gonna know that
samkoro: 80% of Igalas has Nri(very ancient Igbo civilization) Origin/roots.Besides history ,I never knew this until my youth service days.I meet some of them looked exactly Igbo;then I came to conclude that blood do not lie.

.It was very interesting.I kept observing them with keen interest.Some told me they still maintain their relationship with a particular community in Anambra where their fore fathers came from.

There is a difference between influence and identity. Igalas have their own unique language and culture different from Igbo, Yoruba, Edo, Nupe and Idoma. Those ones that live at the border with these ethnic groups will definitely have similarities with them. You can't visit Abia State and conclude that 80 percent of Igbos are from Ibibio. Or visit Agbor and conclude that 80 percent of Igbos are from Edo.
Re: Do Igalas See Themselves As Yorubas? (Official Igala Thread) by Obiagu1(m): 2:12am On Jun 17, 2012
I believe that Igala and Idoma are cousins of Igbo but Igala was greatly influenced by the Yoruba language-wise. Of all the groups in Nigeria, the Idoma are the closest relatives of Ndi-Igbo but being located in the Northern region as well as Islamic influence make Idoma seem a bit distinct but in fact they are not.
Re: Do Igalas See Themselves As Yorubas? (Official Igala Thread) by aljharem(m): 2:49am On Jun 17, 2012
when people talk about people looking Igbo or looking this. I wonder what that means ?

I get people telling me that I look Igbo. What is Igbo look ? Anyone care to answer

1 Like

Re: Do Igalas See Themselves As Yorubas? (Official Igala Thread) by Nobody: 3:06am On Jun 17, 2012
alj harem: when people talk about people looking Igbo or looking this. I wonder what that means ?

I get people telling me that I look Igbo. What is Igbo look ? Anyone care to answer

Same here - because I'm light-skinned, and I've broad shoulders (muscular due to the gym)... But they tell me my Yoruba look is my height - because Yoruba are naturally taller than Igbos. shocked undecided undecided

I guess that's why Igbo girls like me. grin grin

But I personally think I look Yoruba, and I have Yoruba features.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do Igalas See Themselves As Yorubas? (Official Igala Thread) by Nobody: 3:06am On Jun 17, 2012
Re: Do Igalas See Themselves As Yorubas? (Official Igala Thread) by Nobody: 3:18am On Jun 17, 2012
shymmex:

Same here - because I'm light-skinned, and I've broad shoulders (muscular due to the gym)... But they tell me my Yoruba look is my height - because Yoruba are naturally taller than Igbos. shocked undecided undecided

Actually when I saw your pix, I thought you had on a lil weight.

Goldieluks, where art thou?

@alj harem

Igbo look for male --> mid size, flat forehead, and. . . . cant thing of anything else. And not like skin because most male Igbos are dark skin, proportion of light Yoruba men and light Igbo men are equal.

I hear the opposite on NL, but anytime a "news event" picture of the SE are posted, most of them are dark skin. I'm not sure why they wish to be light skin on NL.

1 Like

Re: Do Igalas See Themselves As Yorubas? (Official Igala Thread) by aljharem(m): 4:36am On Jun 17, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

@alj harem

Igbo look for male --> mid size, flat forehead, and. . . . cant thing of anything else. And not like skin because most male Igbos are dark skin, proportion of light Yoruba men and light Igbo men are equal.

I hear the opposite on NL, but anytime a "news event" picture of the SE are posted, most of them are dark skin. I'm not sure why they wish to be light skin on NL.

The same still occurs even today, I am way darker now (brown) and I still get this "you look igbo". While I was a little child, I was very light skin and could not speak yoruba then they say I am Igbo. there is nothing wrong in being called Igbo but I want to know why people say this out of ignorance.

I don't have a flat head.

Just last week or so, I was called an Igbo guy taught I was Igbo. Not that it is bad, I love the idea of association but I must point out that there is nothing like Igbo look or Hausa look or Yoruba look.
Re: Do Igalas See Themselves As Yorubas? (Official Igala Thread) by aljharem(m): 4:37am On Jun 17, 2012
shymmex:

Hmmmmm, I still don't understand what Yoruba features is ? It is quite strange
Re: Do Igalas See Themselves As Yorubas? (Official Igala Thread) by Abagworo(m): 7:54am On Jun 17, 2012
alj harem:

Hmmmmm, I still don't understand what Yoruba features is ? It is quite strange

While dark Igbos are not really as dark as dark Yorubas, most of us are of the same range of darkness. The heights are same and the body structure is same. The difference is either in tribal marks or traditional attire. You can confirm this by neutrally observing President Jonathan in Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba attire. He looks like all.

Re: Do Igalas See Themselves As Yorubas? (Official Igala Thread) by Abagworo(m): 8:32am On Jun 17, 2012
Here's Orji Kalu an Hausa Chief.

Re: Do Igalas See Themselves As Yorubas? (Official Igala Thread) by aljharem(m): 12:47am On Jun 20, 2012
Thanks Abagworo smiley

Any Igala that does not know his history should go meet the Atta or Onu of Igala which we Yorubas called Oni.

You have no mystical Igbo features or Yoruba body and anyother silly thing claimed here on Nairaland.

Here are the facts we have

1. Igalas are found at the eastern part of Kogi but also part of Anambra, Delta

2. Igala most influenced by the Yorubas and the Idomas thus it appears you have some Igbo names but we have Igalas with Ojo Ajao etc these are yoruba names as well

3. The first king of Igalaland was[b] Ayegba[/b] oma'Idoko (Ayegba son of Idoko) of cause Omo or Oma is child or son or daugther.

4. 1-10 in Igala is the same as Yoruba Itsekiri and other anago people.

smiley
Re: Do Igalas See Themselves As Yorubas? (Official Igala Thread) by Revolva(m): 6:52pm On Jul 14, 2012
alj harem: Thanks Abagworo smiley

Any Igala that does not know his history should go meet the Atta or Onu of Igala which we Yorubas called Oni.

You have no mystical Igbo features or Yoruba body and anyother silly thing claimed here on Nairaland.
e

1. Igalas are found at the eastern part of Kogi but also part of Anambra, Delta

2. Igala most influenced by the Yorubas and the Idomas thus it appears you have some Igbo names but we have Igalas with Ojo Ajao etc these are yoruba names as well

3. The first king of Igalaland was[b] Ayegba[/b] oma'Idoko (Ayegba son of Idoko) of cause Omo or Oma is child or son or daugther.

4. 1-10 in Igala is the same as Yoruba Itsekiri and other anago people.

smiley

Hey mr man don't come here and say what you don't know you are not an igala person neither you know anything about us and I am sure you are just copy pasting from google as ur research are correct no doubt but what I made this topic is to let many nigerians who don't know much about the igala and idomas tribe because we are so called minority and also try to point a link of cultutral identity with our fellow neigbours the igbos and yorubas which influenced us , what do you mean body features look if I dress like an ijebu man and visit ogun state you will speak ijebu dialect to me , we are black and its confusing you should know there are southern igalas and idomas the ones sharing border with enugu anambra especially .well pls even the diety of the anambra north and ebu community in osimili north delta are igalas ask any elder from there from origin igalas intermarry them and we influemced each other
Re: Do Igalas See Themselves As Yorubas? (Official Igala Thread) by aljharem(m): 7:31pm On Jul 14, 2012
Revolva:

Hey mr man don't come here and say what you don't know you are not an igala person neither you know anything about us and I am sure you are just copy pasting from google as ur research are correct no doubt but what I made this topic is to let many nigerians who don't know much about the igala and idomas tribe because we are so called minority and also try to point a link of cultutral identity with our fellow neigbours the igbos and yorubas which influenced us , what do you mean body features look if I dress like an ijebu man and visit ogun state you will speak ijebu dialect to me , we are black and its confusing you should know there are southern igalas and idomas the ones sharing border with enugu anambra especially .well pls even the diety of the anambra north and ebu community in osimili north delta are igalas ask any elder from there from origin igalas intermarry them and we influemced each other

Dude that is my understanding about Igala. LOL this is inferority complex because I never mentioned anything about Igala or Idoma being Minorities, that only exist in your head my brother. I don't see any group as a minority.

Now from what you are telling me, you influence delta north and anambra north ? Yes I know thanks for that. All I am pointing out is that there is nothing like Yoruba or Igbo look imo. it all deals with perception of who/what you are looking at.

Again thanks my brother. I learnt a lot from you.
Re: Do Igalas See Themselves As Yorubas? (Official Igala Thread) by kogiataglance: 12:59pm On Oct 08, 2013
Re: Do Igalas See Themselves As Yorubas? (Official Igala Thread) by pazienza(m): 1:40pm On Oct 09, 2013

@alj harem

The proportion of light skinned Igbo guys and that of Light skinned yoruba guys are not the same,and anybody that thinks they are the same,must be blind or plain delusional.

And yes,there is a yoruboid look,and an igboid look, not every yoruba will have yoruboid looks and not every Igbo will have Igboid looks,our differences are not just in dressing,like Abagworo claimed.
Re: Do Igalas See Themselves As Yorubas? (Official Igala Thread) by NRIPRIEST(m): 4:16pm On Oct 09, 2013
Revolva: The igalas have a yorubaiod language and features and now how do they tell if they are not from the yoruba kingdom that moved northwards and also part of the igbos around anambra north especially Aguleiri lga have their traditional diety with the igalas because they share comon border and with time of inter marrying they intergrated to settle
If you go to aguleiri they respect the igala man because their traditional and diety owes to the igala culture even some bear igala names not knowing that they may be igalas by origin maybe their grandfather setteled in that part of igboland long ago also for the idomas also
Ask your self

Yes,Anambra north and Igala has a lot in common but the Aguleri never borrowed culture from the Igala. Actually,it was the Igala that borrowed from the Aguleri and rest of northern Anambra. Traditions like Eke,Oye,Afor and Nkwo was borrowed from Nri.Ogwugwu,Ikenga were also Eri/Nri inventions. Please,endeavour to speak the truth don't feed people with lies. During some of the festivals in Igala you will hear Odeke people chanting..."Odeke Agulu",meaning,Odeke Igala people of Agulu but you can never hear an Aguleri man say "Agulu Odeke". Aguleri is older than Agukwu-Nri,they invented the Ovala/Ofala and doesn't do the Igu-Aro,which is done only by the Eze-Nri. During Eri/Nri migration we had people that stopped over at Igala land and mixed with them and that's how the Igbo culture spread with them. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Do Igalas See Themselves As Yorubas? (Official Igala Thread) by Nobody: 6:54pm On Jan 01, 2016
abouzaid:
Anambra igalas will lynch u to death if u call them yorubas oo, they are only igala by language but their towns have igbo names example igbo-ka-enyi and the indigenes answer igbo names through out, they are bilingual in igala and igbo. The truth is that igbos by history have no powerfull kings making wars or oppressing their ppl so many parts of northern igbo land in today anambra, enugu(especially nsukka) and kogi states were heavily settled by igala refugees fleeing from their war like kings just as their edo refugees fleeing from their king settled on western parts of igbo land. Over 95% of this communities no longer speak igala or practise igala culture but few still bear igala surnames. The communities were never igala by origin but igbo communities heavily settled by igala refugees fleeing from igala land.

Pls can u translate 'anyi' from igala-igbo to English my pals supposed babe saved his name as 'anyiDavid'. Thanks.
Re: Do Igalas See Themselves As Yorubas? (Official Igala Thread) by Nobody: 6:58pm On Jan 01, 2016
Revolva:

Pls igala and idoma are a different tribe they can't be fully called igbos but all am trying to express is as an igala boy I have ties with igbo pple so much one will. Fink am igbo.especially the christains igalas and idomas

Pls can u translate 'anyi' from igala-igbo to English my pals supposed babe saved his name as 'anyiDavid'. Thanks.
Re: Do Igalas See Themselves As Yorubas? (Official Igala Thread) by ariesbull: 7:11pm On Jan 01, 2016
idoma and igbos are not one and never be one! It cannot happen lai lai.
You talked about okloboia and ada but let me tell you that there more hausa influences in idoma than there are igbo similarities. What about the following names and words: usman, aladi(sunday), yakubu, yahaya, audu, ademu(adamu), alemu(orange), sule, yunisa, waaka(uwanka), etc

the name ada is purely an igbo name. We bear it becos some part of our teritory shares boundry with Egbor and that boundry is the shortest we have with any of our neighbours. As a result of our geograhical closeness, we sometimes do have friends from that area and later decided to name or children after our igbo friends.

NB: we also bear abu. Now that doesnt sound like igbo does it? The names and words i mentioned earlier have connections with hausa not igbo!

So get it into your skwii; idoma and egbor are far apart the only relationship is the short, very short boundry we have
befor i forget. Those names i mentioned are not only answered by the idoma muslims but also by idomas who do not have anything to do with islam. They are names of my relatives.

Apart from the to rule in igbo is ochi and in idoma the ruler is called ochi idoma

What of onowo

Do u know that we have igbo In benue state

Igbo and idoma are related

Take this
Re: Do Igalas See Themselves As Yorubas? (Official Igala Thread) by Nobody: 2:46am On Jan 02, 2016
Chyz2:

No Idomas do not have more in common with the hausa than the Igbo. Hausa land is nowhere near Idomaland so get your facts straight. Those names you mentioned are not HAUSA names but muslim names. Please behave yourself and go pick up a book and read.

Actually some of the words like orange in Hausa is alemu, but in Arabic it's burtuqal so that's hausa. Applies for the other words as well.

But ultimately youre right.
Re: Do Igalas See Themselves As Yorubas? (Official Igala Thread) by Nobody: 2:52am On Jan 02, 2016
Abagworo:

While dark Igbos are not really as dark as dark Yorubas, most of us are of the same range of darkness. The heights are same and the body structure is same. The difference is either in tribal marks or traditional attire. You can confirm this by neutrally observing President Jonathan in Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba attire. He looks like all.

Not to be a douche but he doesn't look like hausa. For one hausas don't come in that shade of colour, were mostly darker or of another shade plus other different features. I can always spot a hausa person whatever crowd he's in.
Re: Do Igalas See Themselves As Yorubas? (Official Igala Thread) by Nobody: 2:52am On Jan 02, 2016
aljharem:
when people talk about people looking Igbo or looking this. I wonder what that means ?

You haven't lived in Nigeria for long have you?
Re: Do Igalas See Themselves As Yorubas? (Official Igala Thread) by FisifunKododada: 7:15am On Jan 02, 2016
Emmyk:
Some Igala people are actually light skinned like Igbos. Was confused when I came around here that why do this guys have so much Igbo names. Yeh! I school in Igala Land #KSU

grin grin grin Yes ONLY Igbos are light skinned grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Do Igalas See Themselves As Yorubas? (Official Igala Thread) by FisifunKododada: 7:24am On Jan 02, 2016
Chyz2:

I see someone is shamelessly changing their story,continue. I laugh at the comment that david mark most times puts on the cap that his fellow northerners do. Not true and we all know it. Even if you google him today you will see him wearing an Igbo cap. Seldom do you ever see him wearing anything else so stop fooling yourself. We know who david mark is.

cool David Mark is an Igbo man. ROTFLMAO grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Do Igalas See Themselves As Yorubas? (Official Igala Thread) by FisifunKododada: 7:26am On Jan 02, 2016
Obiagu1:
I believe that Igala and Idoma are cousins of Igbo but Igala was greatly influenced by the Yoruba language-wise. Of all the groups in Nigeria, the Idoma are the closest relatives of Ndi-Igbo but being located in the Northern region as well as Islamic influence make Idoma seem a bit distinct but in fact they are not.

cool cool cool See attach by force. I am observing... grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Do Igalas See Themselves As Yorubas? (Official Igala Thread) by FisifunKododada: 7:26am On Jan 02, 2016
Obiagu1:

cool cool cool See attach by force. I am observing... grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Do Igalas See Themselves As Yorubas? (Official Igala Thread) by Revolva(m): 11:49am On Jan 02, 2016
papadee93:

wat do u mean ? what anyi..to igbo...? explain better
Re: Do Igalas See Themselves As Yorubas? (Official Igala Thread) by Nobody: 2:08pm On Jan 02, 2016
Revolva:

wat do u mean ? what anyi..to igbo...? explain better

The babe z igalla from Enugu so d guy wants to translate 'anyi' to English
Re: Do Igalas See Themselves As Yorubas? (Official Igala Thread) by Revolva(m): 2:17pm On Jan 02, 2016
papadee93:

The babe z igalla from Enugu so d guy wants to translate 'anyi' to English

Igala Enugu ummm na wa ooo when u tell pple at there r igalas in Enugu n anambra elta n edo dey won't believe

Anyi to me is see
Re: Do Igalas See Themselves As Yorubas? (Official Igala Thread) by Junior66(m): 6:21am On Jan 04, 2016
no dull your self poster. The igalas are not yoruba and never will. The fact that they have some things in comon in their language does not mean that they are the same. Those linguistic similarities exist becos they live close to each other and over time, borrowed some words.
The closest to the igalas in nigeria are the idomas. There are more similarities between the two than with any other person they are living close to.

Attah and Iduh, the progenitor of the two respective tribes were actually brothers. They came to nigeria at the same time after being denied their inheritance when their father died becos they were children of the last wife and were the youngest.

When they were leaving, they took along with them the powerful deities their father worshiped. Attah took the most potent one and that explains the so much power the igalas wield and particularly, the Attah. The attah can curse nature and it will obey him!

I dont know why people are saying this, the idomas are not igbos! They have never beign. Befor the igbos came to nigeria, the idomas where already here. Together with the igalas, we are one of the first people to come to nigeria
. igalas have neva been neigbors with the yorubas. between us are the ebiras and even Okuns (sub-yorubas) and edos across the river niger. concerning our language, igala and yoruba are more related than any oda tribe in Nigeria today. the relationship between us and the idomas language-wise is far lesser even though we bear similar names. and in general it seems most languages around us igalas share some similarities wit us e.g the ebiras, edos, idomas etc. my opinion disregards history because most of them are just speculations.

1 Like

Re: Do Igalas See Themselves As Yorubas? (Official Igala Thread) by Junior66(m): 6:27am On Jan 04, 2016
aljharem:
@ abouzaid bia ebe a

You are playing dumb here. Igala and Idoma are independent ethnic groups and never ever have I claim them to be yoruba neither have I claimed Edo to be yoruba.

Yes Igalas and Idomas are Igbos, I could care less. I don't hate Igbos so stop this rubbish you are attributing to me. If Igala is apart of Biafra good !!!

I am angry because of this silly topics suggesting that Yorubas are claiming. The Op is an Igala man, so gini ka i na'ekwu maka ya. angry

pls dnt mention igalas and igbos in the same sentence becos we are not related at all. how are we even related sef? haba. dnt believe those fools abeg

1 Like

Re: Do Igalas See Themselves As Yorubas? (Official Igala Thread) by Junior66(m): 6:34am On Jan 04, 2016
Revolva:
@alj harem
Are you an igala or wat well what part of igala land
Bro I never said and felt like am a yoruba or igbo boi and tryin to tell you that we southern igalas have traditions like igbos and the whole igala dialect is yorobaiod (have element of yoruba) in it ok
akpai stop causing confusion here. if u are from ibaji lga just say so nd stop misinforming other people. it is only ibajis and oda igalas from odolu dat can have the remotest claim to an igbo relationship becos u share boundaries and have inter-married. most of you even look like igbos nd u speak igbo too. u cnt generalise that kinda relationship

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

12 Images Of Pharaohs That Prove Ancient Egyptians Were Black / Olori Memunat Omowumi Celebrates Her Birthday (Photos) / Oluwo Of Iwo Bonds And Plays Draught With His People

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.