Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,194 members, 7,953,697 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 11:47 PM

Let's Review Various Nigerian Websites - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Let's Review Various Nigerian Websites (1797 Views)

Dora Akunyili Website - Let's Review / The Best Nigerian Websites You Have Seen! / The Traffic Rank Of The Most Popular Nigerian Websites (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Let's Review Various Nigerian Websites by my2cents(m): 6:01am On Apr 01, 2006
Let's Put Our Web Skills To Work

Here is a topic I have been stewing for a while:

How about we, as web developers/designers/architects pick one Nigeria site a week and point out ways in which to make it better? Perhaps the coders of such sites could pick up on what we are saying and make such sites better. Better yet, by collaborating, we would end up strengtheningo our own skills.

If you are with me, I would like to start with Virgin Nigeria:

If I coded the site, for one, the price list on the right would not be one big image
Re: Let's Review Various Nigerian Websites by my2cents(m): 6:05am On Apr 01, 2006
Sorry, I posted by mistake. Here is the address: http://www.virginnigeria.com/en/ng/Index.aspx

As I was saying, I wouldn't make the right nav one big image. It would definitely be text with a green background, called via css.

2) I would move the "exclusive" image to the top. On a 1024 screen resolution (naijans at a cybercafe probably use less), it is below the fold. How would a user take advantage of it?

I will leave it at 2 till I hear from others. Let's stop yabbing our sites and get together for once smiley

You all can do it!!!
Re: Let's Review Various Nigerian Websites by Zahymaka(m): 3:19pm On Apr 01, 2006
That's true. They use lots of images. Sorry I don't really know that many Naija sites. Can you suggest another?
Re: Let's Review Various Nigerian Websites by Seun(m): 5:10pm On Apr 01, 2006
What about www.nairaland.com?
Re: Let's Review Various Nigerian Websites by Zahymaka(m): 5:19pm On Apr 01, 2006
Mmhmm. Nairaland should have bigger buttons that are very clear to see -- and perhaps a banner with a Nairaland logo.
Re: Let's Review Various Nigerian Websites by Seun(m): 5:36pm On Apr 01, 2006
Thanks. I'm thinking of replacing the current image buttons with easier-to-see text buttons. What do you think?

Why is a graphical banner important?
Re: Let's Review Various Nigerian Websites by Zahymaka(m): 5:50pm On Apr 01, 2006
So that nairaland doesn't look like "Yet another SMF Forum" -- it should look like Nairaland. Even a Naira sign would be ok.
Re: Let's Review Various Nigerian Websites by kimba(m): 6:16pm On Apr 01, 2006
yes, me too,

Nairaland, should have the "Naira Feel"
Yes, a Naira sign won't be bad, buttons should probably be naira-oriented, ill post more ideas later
Re: Let's Review Various Nigerian Websites by t4cash(m): 6:17pm On Apr 03, 2006
He he, I can see Admin self-moderated. so e still get small sense wink
Re: Let's Review Various Nigerian Websites by my2cents(m): 8:50pm On Apr 03, 2006
Here's another (Sorry, I wasn't available on the weekend to respond more): http://www.nigerianarmy.net/

Here, for starters, I would use rollovers so the user can tell what they are clicking on.
Re: Let's Review Various Nigerian Websites by Zahymaka(m): 9:40pm On Apr 03, 2006
The person who built that site deserves serious flogging. I mean it!

There's nothing army about it -- and he doesn't pay attention to the Nigerian colors. There's an excessive use of images -- I must say I'm enraged. What you say is true -- the links should have rollovers. They should also be more prominent. There's an excessive waste of space to the left of the stars.

Some things are also irrelevant -- what has the army got to do with Nigerian newspapers? I'll still come by with more comments but I must say that's a shoddy job.
Re: Let's Review Various Nigerian Websites by puree: 10:11pm On Apr 03, 2006
@t4cash, RUDE BOY, na seun you dey talk to like dat, anyways, feel yr posts on nairaland, nice ones.
Re: Let's Review Various Nigerian Websites by my2cents(m): 5:23pm On Apr 04, 2006
Zahymaka, I feel ya

It seems every naija govt'al website must have a section devoted to "Nigerian newspapers". Abi na decree? Even if they must have, I would rather have it under a section users would go to, as opposed to having it on the home page.

I am happy my post has generated this much response. Just imagine if we all came together, moved back to naija and started a consultancy firm? grin

Constructive criticism, I likes dat

, and that's my 2 cents
Re: Let's Review Various Nigerian Websites by 4real(m): 1:11am On Apr 05, 2006
well most of nigerian websites are like that, well you guys check out this one www.9jafinest.com
Re: Let's Review Various Nigerian Websites by Zahymaka(m): 1:36am On Apr 05, 2006
It's a very cool site but there're some things I want to point out:

[list]
[li]There's an excessive use of images -- I could easily achieve a lot of things there using css[/li]
[li]The text is too small[/li]
[li]The banner eats more than half of the screen[/li]
[li]The links to home, contact and search are very tiny and not very discernible. They shoul dbe increased[/li]
[li]The logo should link back to the home page[/li]
[/list]
Re: Let's Review Various Nigerian Websites by doubleooh7: 12:20pm On Apr 05, 2006
The Virgin Nigeria site is alright, I mean its well designed. But the Army sight is not a standard website, some of the the links(e.g Nigeria Navy) are not working and the content is not really informative. It depicts the kind of force that we have here.No information on how to join the Army, Is it a secret society, men I'm simply pissed off. I think the Army needs to engage the service of a website devt. firm and revamp the site. They should make it more informative. especially building up a career in the Army. Perhaps they can check out sites of the US & British Forces. The 9jafest site is also ok, quite simple but beautiful site.
Well can you check out www.anglican-Nigeria.org and give some analysis and advice.
Re: Let's Review Various Nigerian Websites by my2cents(m): 5:06pm On Apr 05, 2006
doubleooh7,

I tried going to the anglican site, but it didn't return a page. Did you mean: http://www.anglican-nig.org/ ?

If no:
I would love to check it out, so check the correct url and get back to us.

If yes:
1) I personally don't like sites that start off with flash. Yeah, I know, there is a "skip intro". Y have it there if you know pple may skip? Kind of like y have a "help section" of a page that you know isn't self-explanatory?

2) Too much info blasting in my face on the home page. Content seems to be disorganized.

3) I also personally don't like scrolling marquees. To me, they are distracting.

, that's my 2 cents
Re: Let's Review Various Nigerian Websites by kris(m): 9:48am On Apr 06, 2006
4real:

well most of nigerian websites are like that, well you guys check out this one www.9jafinest.com

The 9jafinest site is just pure template! With the quality of the real photos you can tell that the designs don't know jack about graphics.
Re: Let's Review Various Nigerian Websites by 4real(m): 2:14am On Apr 07, 2006
well you can't be more wrong, the only picture with a problem is the ade bakare picture and i guess it was taken from his site and had to be strached so that it can fit into the page, what do you want to say about the ladies pictures that fit into the background, abeg to me it's still a nice job and i don't think it's a template, did you check the model page, i downloaded the site and it's no template to me. the company that did it did a good job
Re: Let's Review Various Nigerian Websites by 4real(m): 2:18am On Apr 07, 2006
well you can't be more wrong, the only picture with a problem is the ade bakare picture and i guess it was taken from his site and had to be stretched so that it can fit into the page, what do you want to say about the ladies pictures that fit into the background, abeg to me it's still a nice job and i don't think it's a template, did you check the model page, i downloaded the site and it's no template to me. the company that did it did a good job
Re: Let's Review Various Nigerian Websites by my2cents(m): 5:59pm On Apr 07, 2006
From the look of things, it appears y'all are waiting for me to drop another website. Weeeell, here it is: http://www.apicoltd.com/

I won't even stoop as low as to even comment on this site. It's that horrible, and to think that some south african company did this site.

I'm glad to read reviews though grin
Re: Let's Review Various Nigerian Websites by Zahymaka(m): 7:10pm On Apr 07, 2006
It looks a little good - but it's built almost entirely on javascript and flash. I'm not ready for that.

That is a business site. . . not that of a hobby amateur web designer [which is what I think it is].
Re: Let's Review Various Nigerian Websites by kris(m): 7:36pm On Apr 07, 2006
4real:

well you can't be more wrong, the only picture with a problem is the ade bakare picture and i guess it was taken from his site and had to be stretched so that it can fit into the page, what do you want to say about the ladies pictures that fit into the background, abeg to me it's still a nice job and i don't think it's a template, did you check the model page, i downloaded the site and it's no template to me. the company that did it did a good job

Why you say kris dey wrong? Abi dem never tell you who i be?
Ok make i show our people wetin i found out.
Take a look at the company that made that site, their web address is www.xceptions.biz you can find thier name at the bottom of the 9jafinest site.
Take a look at their site and then take a look at http://www.great-web-hotel.com/ and then at http://www.ercgrants.com/
Dem look the same or not? Well i think that ends the whole thing. Hey bros me i no get problem if you use template, but just don't say it's not template.
And with the image i've attached we can tell that 4real owns it or is their best pal. How do i know that? Well look at his name on the left hand side where it says "Mozart and 4real hit the studio". Hey 4real, abi na 4fake be your name, anybody that has a clue about graphic design can tell that design of the main page is 100 times better than the bad photo tweeking done on those sites. The template has clean, smooth graphics, while una own dey all pixelated and out of proportion.
CASE CLOSED!

Re: Let's Review Various Nigerian Websites by 4real(m): 2:04am On Apr 08, 2006
well the guy is my friend and yes even if his site (company) is a template you have still failed to mention that the very site we are talking about is a template, one thing you don't get is this, there is a difference btw when one takes a picture for a site and when one has to make do with what he has for a site. the pictures been pixelated don't mean a shit. what is the out come of the site is the question. Mr kris. wait till he finishes my own site and then tell me what you think
Re: Let's Review Various Nigerian Websites by kris(m): 8:20am On Apr 08, 2006
Bros abeg that case is closed jare. Some one using template for his own site, no go come use template for all him other sites? Take a look at his whole portfolio, it's all template stuffs, and the only things he adds are always badly done. Look at how he cuts people from photo any how, making it look like the people are disabled!

Abeg bros make we no talk about this no more. Lets agree that you made a mistake.

But i wish dem good luck with the 9jamusic site, it's a good idea.
Re: Let's Review Various Nigerian Websites by my2cents(m): 6:56pm On Apr 11, 2006
Oookay,

Now, let us review the most hideous, in my opinion, of websites I have seen to-date. Open FireFox and go to this website: http://www.akwaibomstategov.com/

Let the mud-slinging begin grin
Re: Let's Review Various Nigerian Websites by Zahymaka(m): 8:43pm On Apr 11, 2006
My gosh -- do you call that a site? It's the most stupid site I've ever seen

1. It makes me scroll right
2. The flash navigation could have been done with css -- I'm not lying that it isn't very pretty [In fact I got some ideas from it] but why should it be done in flash?
3. Why are there too many flash animations on the page? Without flash that site wiould be very horrible
4. Before you can read anything meaningful you have to scroll both right and down. Very bad mismanagement of space
5. Color imbalance

There's lots more but let me allow other people to highlight them
Re: Let's Review Various Nigerian Websites by Seun(m): 2:20pm On Apr 12, 2006
What about www.covenantuniversity.com? Assuming the Vc wants to know how to improve the site, what would you tell her?
Re: Let's Review Various Nigerian Websites by my2cents(m): 4:02pm On Apr 12, 2006
Oga Seun (I am still mad at you removing my links from my posts, but you are the boss wink),

With you hailing from Ota (at least according to your profile) and the school being in Ota, I suspect a connection. Do you even sleep sef? cool

Jokes aside, I would point out the following:

1) Made the footer section consistent across the site.

2) The pages "jump around" when you click on them. Click to each page to see what I am saying

3) If there is no content for a particular section, then perhaps it shouldn't be part of the navigation

4) Speaking of navigation, considering its simplicity, I would recommend rollovers so the user knows where they are, and of course eliminating the graphics altogether, in favor of CSS.

That's what I have. Anyone else?
Re: Let's Review Various Nigerian Websites by Zahymaka(m): 9:31pm On May 23, 2006
I'm treading softly here. What do you think about http://www.usastudyinfo.com ? my2cents gave me some ideas which I implemented but I'd like to hear more.

(1) (Reply)

Photo : Mark Zuckerberg At Work (facebook Office) / I Need Your Help Please / Seo Event Going On Globeimforum Checkout

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.