Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,441 members, 7,819,632 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:34 PM

Did You Ever Eat "feshelo"? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Did You Ever Eat "feshelo"? (1113 Views)

Can You Ever Eat From This Cake ( Photo) / Did You Ever Eat This And Still Eat It? (picture) / Sushi: Would You Ever Eat It (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Did You Ever Eat "feshelo"? by tomX1(m): 8:03pm On Nov 20, 2007
Feshelo is basicaly like trying to make eba using cold water.
It was kinda popular in secondary boarding schools in Nigeria (where boiling rings and stoves where outlawed). I remember many nights of agony I spent on my bed after a meal of feshelo. But it was a welcomed relife from the hunger pangs that drove us to trying this strange meal anyway.

If you 've ever tried feshelo, share your recipe and/or experience here.
Re: Did You Ever Eat "feshelo"? by drrionelli(m): 8:07pm On Nov 20, 2007
This feshelo, as you call it--why did it cause you such agony?
Re: Did You Ever Eat "feshelo"? by tomX1(m): 8:18pm On Nov 20, 2007
well the only way you get the gari to stick togethernwith out the benefit of hot water is to realy pound a good deal of it in limited quantity of water and the stuff ends up being very hard. It's not so easy to digest.
Re: Did You Ever Eat "feshelo"? by drrionelli(m): 9:18pm On Nov 20, 2007
Allow me to apologize for my ignorance, but, as you see, my friend, I live in the US.  Could you please explain to me what "gari" is?
Re: Did You Ever Eat "feshelo"? by tomX1(m): 10:17pm On Nov 20, 2007
Gari is a coarse flour made from grated cassava. Its a regular staple here in Nigeria. You get eba by stiringgari in hot water. It forms a nice sticky lump to be eaten with soup.
Feshelo is an atempt to make eba with cold water. It doesn't stick. So you need to just keep adding more gari and compacting until you get something you can mould.
It's just some crazy dish baording students in Nigeria tryout sometimes.
Re: Did You Ever Eat "feshelo"? by busygal(f): 12:21pm On Nov 21, 2007
@poster

u actually made long time memories come flooding
back 2 my mind.
i almost thought we attended thesame secondary school.

sweet sweet memories of my school days. FESHELO IS
PREPARED ACCORDING AS THE NAME IMPLIES
( U USE HEAVY BLOWS 2 MOULD THE GARRI INTO SHAPE)

Then we mix sadin and kesher adding some ingredent
then fry with a plugged, hot iron
COMPLIMENT WITH THIS,THEN OUR MEAL IS READY 4 SWALLOW .
Re: Did You Ever Eat "feshelo"? by drrionelli(m): 3:39pm On Nov 21, 2007
Oh, dear! I suppose I have a lot to learn about Nigerian food! All this talk about sadin and kesher and gari (garri?) and eba--it's so unfamiliar to me! sad

(1) (Reply)

Food For Toddler / Get Your Foodstuffs Delivered At Your Doorstep(s)... / Now In Town...come Get Urs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.