Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,037 members, 7,818,066 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:40 AM

[b]mko And Education By An Ex Fed. Govt. College Ogbomoso Student.[/b] - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / [b]mko And Education By An Ex Fed. Govt. College Ogbomoso Student.[/b] (800 Views)

Mansion's Owner, Mr Okwudili Umenyiora Is An Ex-con, Fraudster+Fugitive In US / How Mko Abiola Died: He Was Hale And Hearty : Then He Drank The Tea / Flooding At Ikorodu. Who Is To Blame? State Or Fed. Govt? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

[b]mko And Education By An Ex Fed. Govt. College Ogbomoso Student.[/b] by puzo(m): 8:50am On Jun 01, 2012
MKO and Education by an Ex Fed. Govt. College Ogbomoso student.

Hello all,
I decided to do this write-up to remind us of what MKO Abiola represented. My aim is not to say if the President used the right process and or timing to re-name a university. Rather its to de- bunk that claim that MKO was a sports supporter and a stadium should bear his name and not a University. Some even say erroneously that Abiola didn't do anything for the educational sector.
In the late 80s and early 90s, universities had serious financial challenges. As a coping strategy, they started organising fund -raising events. In virtually all the cases MKO was the chief launcher. He was always there, doling out huge sums.
Then he got tired . Not of giving money but attending the ceremonies. So in 1990, Chief Abiola gave NI,000,000 to each state university for improvement of students welfare; N500,000 to each Federal University for students welfare, and N250,000 to each Nigerian polytechnic for students welfare. So in one swoop, He gave each and every university and polytechnic in Nigeria a grant. This was unprecedented. Till date no one has done that.
I still remember how I helped a class -mate prepare an application for this fund when he needed a hearing aid.
In 1990, he donated N30,000,000 to the Oyo State Educational Development Fund. MKO funded the construction of over 60 secondary schools in Nigeria. I think I should remind us that MKO was the first newspaper publisher to publish in the 3 Nigerian languages.
I remember that MKO provided grant for the University of Ado-Ekiti to provide Students’ accommodation. Also there are MKO endowment for scholarships in many universities and professional organisations.
MKO support for education wasn't limited to Nigeria alone. At the Howard University, The Abiola Fellowship of $3000 was established for the Department of African Studies by Chief M.K.O. Abiola.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Who Is On nairaland / 10 Most Popular Id,s On Nl Currently / Top Ten New Year Resolutions: Whatz Yours?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.