Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,460 members, 7,958,389 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 01:42 PM

How To Detect A Scam Business Website - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How To Detect A Scam Business Website (4836 Views)

Poll: Are there Genuine Online Jobs Nigerians can make a living from?

Yes: 100% (10 votes)
No: 0% (0 votes)
Not sure: 0% (0 votes)
This poll has ended

Buhari: BDC Is A Scam And Drain To Nigeria / How To Detect And Avoid “money Doublers And Wonder Banks” / How to Detect A Scam MLM and HYIP Business Operating in Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Detect A Scam Business Website by EMOGROUP: 4:11pm On Jun 01, 2012
I have noticed that my fellow nairalander are used to introducing sites which they have not been comfirmed working and thereby putting other members in the position of wasting their time and effort all in the name of referal business and thats the main reason why i write this topic in other for us to rub minds on ways we can search out if an online business is genuine or not before introducing it to other members of this forum. Am going to be sharing my own little knowledge and i will be expecting you to add yours so we all can learn in order to increase our opportunity of making money online. To me if your are aiming of working for a site either its referal, ptc etc try and google it out first to see reviews of what other people think of the site that have probably worked with the site. You can do this by going to google type the site url, give a space and type the word SCAM i.e you want to search if www.click.com is genuine all you have to do is go to Google and type the word www.click.com scams and google will give you series of websites that reviews the website you are making research of to know either is genuine or not. NOTE: in the websites google will provide you do make sure you look at the url of each of them so as not to do mistake as to be refered to the scam site for review and make sure you look at reviews of at least 5 sites through same medium before registering it and refering people to the site at least it will reduce the numbers of ungenuine sites that will be introduce here.

1 Like

Re: How To Detect A Scam Business Website by 80kobo(m): 4:17pm On Jun 01, 2012
EMO GROUP: I have noticed that my fellow nairalander are used to introducing sites which they have not been comfirmed working and thereby putting other members in the position of wasting their time and effort all in the name of referal business and thats the main reason why i write this topic in other for us to rub minds on ways we can search out if an online business is genuine or not before introducing it to other members of this forum. Am going to be sharing my own little knowledge and i will be expecting you to add yours so we all can learn in order to increase our opportunity of making money online. To me if your are aiming of working for a site either its referal, ptc etc try and google it out first to see reviews of what other people think of the site that have probably worked with the site. You can do this by going to google type the site url, give a space and type the word SCAM i.e you want to search if www.click.com is genuine all you have to do is go to Google and type the word www.click.com scams and google will give you series of websites that reviews the website you are making research of to know either is genuine or not. NOTE: in the websites google will provide you do make sure you look at the url of each of them so as not to do mistake as to be refered to the scam site for review and make sure you look at reviews of at least 5 sites through same medium before registering it and refering people to the site at least it will reduce the numbers of ungenuine sites that will be introduce here.

Nice one.. Also check the whois information for verifiable contact information.
Re: How To Detect A Scam Business Website by EMOGROUP: 4:37pm On Jun 01, 2012
Thanks man. But what is whois and how can one make use of it?
Re: How To Detect A Scam Business Website by goldline76(m): 5:34pm On Jun 01, 2012
Yes the whois site is a very powerful tool to detect illegal websites especially these money making sites (you know what I mean). The whois dot ws site helps you know the origin of website, the location, the address and phone number of the owner, the date the site was hosted and the date it will expire. So its very important you take cognisance of the date the site will expire. If the date is very close to expire, FLEE from that site but if its 5years and above, better! And again if whois did not display the address and phone number of the owner of the site, make you take off like Ben Johnson. Na my own contribution be dis o!

1 Like

Re: How To Detect A Scam Business Website by EMOGROUP: 6:49pm On Jun 01, 2012
Thanks man for your contribuction to these. I really appreciate, at least a learnt something from you. Thanks
Re: How To Detect A Scam Business Website by 80kobo(m): 7:07pm On Jun 01, 2012
EMO GROUP: Thanks man. But what is whois and how can one make use of it?

Go to whois.net and put in the suspicious domain name there. Or whois.sc/suspiciousdomain.com
Re: How To Detect A Scam Business Website by 80kobo(m): 7:08pm On Jun 01, 2012
goldline76: Yes the whois site is a very powerful tool to detect illegal websites especially these money making sites (you know what I mean). The whois dot ws site helps you know the origin of website, the location, the address and phone number of the owner, the date the site was hosted and the date it will expire. So its very important you take cognisance of the date the site will expire. If the date is very close to expire, FLEE from that site but if its 5years and above, better! And again if whois did not display the address and phone number of the owner of the site, make you take off like Ben Johnson. Na my own contribution be dis o!

This should always be combined with the google search from the first poster as there are some old domains that continue scamming for years without being pulled down.
Re: How To Detect A Scam Business Website by EMOGROUP: 8:55pm On Jun 01, 2012
Guys i really appreciate your contribuction to this. But my question is '' is there any genuine site where one can do simple task and earn reasonable amount of money of his or her effort and get paid immediately ? I know of a site called microworkers.com and a friend of mine told me he knows somebody who is earning from this site but the problem now is that the site pays just too small amount of money and to me is a waste of time and money. Is it posible one find a site where he can earn at least 10 dollars daily doing jobs online? Guys please share with me.
Re: How To Detect A Scam Business Website by 80kobo(m): 9:45pm On Jun 01, 2012
EMO GROUP: Guys i really appreciate your contribuction to this. But my question is '' is there any genuine site where one can do simple task and earn reasonable amount of money of his or her effort and get paid immediately ? I know of a site called microworkers.com and a friend of mine told me he knows somebody who is earning from this site but the problem now is that the site pays just too small amount of money and to me is a waste of time and money. Is it posible one find a site where he can earn at least 10 dollars daily doing jobs online? Guys please share with me.

Try odesk.com, I outsource a lot of my jobs there right here from Nigeria so I think you should be able to perform tasks there as a worker though the competition is steep.
Re: How To Detect A Scam Business Website by EMOGROUP: 11:43pm On Jun 01, 2012
Thanks man. But what would you advice as someone like me who is new to the site should do? Though i think am trying in writing but i dont really know how to bid for jobs and the amount i should charge per job. And i think i love to write articles too. Can you help me on how i should go about the site? Thanks
Re: How To Detect A Scam Business Website by 80kobo(m): 5:36am On Jun 02, 2012
EMO GROUP: Thanks man. But what would you advice as someone like me who is new to the site should do? Though i think am trying in writing but i dont really know how to bid for jobs and the amount i should charge per job. And i think i love to write articles too. Can you help me on how i should go about the site? Thanks

I've never been a contractor there so saying I know how to succeed in that aspect would be a lie, I've only hired contractors from there, but let me try to be helpful,

1.) Write (and pass very well) all relevant tests for the category you know you are good at.

2.) Fill in your profile completely with a nice picture included. A more mature photo and higher educational qualifications would help u get higher pay sometimes.

3.) Fill in a portfolio of various jobs you've done previously (pdf's of write-ups would do)

4.) Apply to every new job in your category till you get one that hires you, make sure you make at least 10 applications a day, and don't give up, hardwork doesn't kill.

The first three are things I look out for before hiring. So set up your account, apply for your payoneer card from them & co, when you are done with everything send me an email here. I would hire you and if you do aa good and fast enough job, I'd leave a five star recommendation for you (that helps a lot too for future jobs).

For Article writing, make sure your English, Spellings, Concorde and Punctuations are flawless so people don't have to correct after you submit the job.

An average rate for Article writing on Odesk is between 1-5$ per. 300 words though some people charge as high as 20$, as they say, the difference between "kpekere" and plantain chips is the packaging. Start with the lower rates first to get a customer base, then later brand yourself for the plantain chips earnings

I know its work, but then, there's no success without work..
Re: How To Detect A Scam Business Website by EMOGROUP: 6:50am On Jun 02, 2012
Thanks for the hints bro. Am sure to get back at you soonest.
Re: How To Detect A Scam Business Website by 80kobo(m): 7:23am On Jun 02, 2012
EMO GROUP: Thanks for the hints bro. Am sure to get back at you soonest.

You're welcome..
Re: How To Detect A Scam Business Website by ewatcher: 12:51pm On Jun 02, 2012
goldline76: Yes the whois site is a very powerful tool to detect illegal websites especially these money making sites (you know what I mean). The whois dot ws site helps you know the origin of website, the location, the address and phone number of the owner, the date the site was hosted and the date it will expire. So its very important you take cognisance of the date the site will expire. If the date is very close to expire, FLEE from that site but if its 5years and above, better! And again if whois did not display the address and phone number of the owner of the site, make you take off like Ben Johnson. Na my own contribution be dis o!
Nice. Be very cautious when patronizing sites that came up within one year. Do your online review first before investing your money
Re: How To Detect A Scam Business Website by cashmentor(m): 9:56pm On Jun 02, 2012
ewatcher:
Nice. Be very cautious when patronizing sites that came up within one year. Do your online review first before investing your money
good point! Buh the best way is simply to just type the site on google and end it with "Scam or Legit"

1 Like

Re: How To Detect A Scam Business Website by Samchuky(m): 11:27pm On Jun 02, 2012
80kobo:

I've never been a contractor there so saying I know how to succeed in that aspect would be a lie, I've only hired contractors from there, but let me try to be helpful,

1.) Write (and pass very well) all relevant tests for the category you know you are good at.

2.) Fill in your profile completely with a nice picture included. A more mature photo and higher educational qualifications would help u get higher pay sometimes.

3.) Fill in a portfolio of various jobs you've done previously (pdf's of write-ups would do)

4.) Apply to every new job in your category till you get one that hires you, make sure you make at least 10 applications a day, and don't give up, hardwork doesn't kill.

The first three are things I look out for before hiring. So set up your account, apply for your payoneer card from them & co, when you are done with everything send me an email here. I would hire you and if you do aa good and fast enough job, I'd leave a five star recommendation for you (that helps a lot too for future jobs).

For Article writing, make sure your English, Spellings, Concorde and Punctuations are flawless so people don't have to correct after you submit the job.

An average rate for Article writing on Odesk is between 1-5$ per. 300 words though some people charge as high as 20$, as they say, the difference between "kpekere" and plantain chips is the packaging. Start with the lower rates first to get a customer base, then later brand yourself for the plantain chips earnings

I know its work, but then, there's no success without work..
this was also helpful to me cos i am there too. Just taking my time to complete my profile.

1 Like

Re: How To Detect A Scam Business Website by 80kobo(m): 11:58pm On Jun 02, 2012
Samchuky:
this was also helpful to me cos i am there too. Just taking my time to complete my profile.

Glad I could be of help.
Re: How To Detect A Scam Business Website by yangzhen76: 4:45pm On Jun 03, 2012
[img]http://www.50centloseweight.com[/img]Thanks for your post.
Re: How To Detect A Scam Business Website by chinosxl(m): 5:37pm On Jun 03, 2012
Good post and info

Note that not all websites that pull up on a scam search is scam. Some pissed off customers can list a legit website as scam without properly stating the actual facts that went on between him and the website. Also, competitors do this to give other companies/websites a bad name. During ur research, just make sure there are alot more happy customers than pissed off customers. Also check their positive/negative rating for the last month, 6 months, 12 months and then use ur discretion.

2 Likes

Re: How To Detect A Scam Business Website by denny4ril: 11:22pm On Jun 03, 2012
if a website does not fall into my criteria for Genuine websites, then i am always a bit careful. my criteria for identifying genuine websites are:
1. Web address always start with https:// NOT http://
2. Comodo verification
3. Mcafee Trust / Seal on the site
4. the web address is not cloacked or a redirected
5. Site design. i have noticed dat most fake sites have poor design and filled with grammatical errors
6.reviews. just go to google.com and type the web address with a scam added to it e.g nairaland.com+scam. read reviews online and dat will give u much info about d genuity or not of a website
I HOPE THESE HELPS

1 Like

Re: How To Detect A Scam Business Website by EMOGROUP: 8:40am On Jun 04, 2012
denny4ril: if a website does not fall into my criteria for Genuine websites, then i am always a bit careful. my criteria for identifying genuine websites are:
1. Web address always start with https:// NOT http://
2. Comodo verification
3. Mcafee Trust / Seal on the site
4. the web address is not cloacked or a redirected
5. Site design. i have noticed dat most fake sites have poor design and filled with grammatical errors
6.reviews. just go to google.com and type the web address with a scam added to it e.g nairaland.com+scam. read reviews online and dat will give u much info about d genuity or not of a website
I HOPE THESE HELPS
nice one bro

1 Like

Re: How To Detect A Scam Business Website by ernersinfobank(m): 12:16pm On Jun 04, 2012
Good one here Nlders, I am grateful to those who are sincere here. My friends, Odesk n Microworkers are very good. I will also recommend dat u visit elance.com. My reason online is to try my own best to lead Nigerians right online. I lost $3500 last year online so dis was my fuel to get pipl off scam online. To add to ways to dictect scam site, above all is to get a truthful mentor n a good forum where ur area(s) of interest are discusd. This is online success secret. I found out dat most of those review sites are quite misleading. It calls for a great concern. Lastly, u can check out for d 3 green bars on ur browser(mozila or google chrome), if d bars has no green color then look b4 u leap.
Goodluck.
Re: How To Detect A Scam Business Website by EMOGROUP: 8:34pm On Jun 04, 2012
ernersinfobank:

Yes man I lost up to that amount last year. Anyway, that's bygone let look at d future. I like ur idea of forming group. But I want to say u don't need any money to learn anythg online. All u need is answering d question "Where is d legitimate free things online?". You can only answer dis question if u really going to invest ur time on the Net. I have a blog I personally offer $50 to anyone who is going to submit a legitimate online biz there n I'm serious about it. When I get it I give it out Free. Let serve first n leave the rest.
my bro, i think i like you and the way you think. If you are really are interest in making money online there are two site i think you can start working on, though you might not earn much through it but it will surely help. You can do minor jobs with this sites and earn from 10 cent to 2 dollars per job. But the only thing about this sites is that you will have to change your ip address since most of their offer goes to USA citizens. But i still believe there are better sites that offer jobs to Nigerians and pay good amount of money, its all about information and no body would want to share with you without paying money. Honestly i really admire your mindset and would love to work with someone like you. If you are interested in working with me you can call me on 08138436585 or add me on face book with same number. I really believe working together we will reach our goals soonest. so what says you?
Re: How To Detect A Scam Business Website by ernersinfobank(m): 11:24am On Jun 05, 2012
EMO GROUP: my bro, i think i like you and the way you think. If you are really are interest in making money online there are two site i think you can start working on, though you might not earn much through it but it will surely help. You can do minor jobs with this sites and earn from 10 cent to 2 dollars per job. But the only thing about this sites is that you will have to change your ip address since most of their offer goes to USA citizens. But i still believe there are better sites that offer jobs to Nigerians and pay good amount of money, its all about information and no body would want to share with you without paying money. Honestly i really admire your mindset and would love to work with someone like you. If you are interested in working with me you can call me on 08138436585 or add me on face book with same number. I really believe working together we will reach our goals soonest. so what says you?
Well said. We can work together if our mission online are compatible. Like I said earlier on, my mission is to guide Nigerians right online d problem is dat some of us don't to follow process, we want fast money n there is no such if u want to maintain integrity. I knw how I can make sharp money online in d detriment of others but 'No' I said to myself. I am earning legitimately from somewhere n I've, at least shown few of us d way. I'm not relenting. I will continue to search n inform. We can work togeda if we have d same mission n vission. I will highly appreciate it. It will make things work faster. Two heads r btter dan 1.

1 Like

Re: How To Detect A Scam Business Website by EMOGROUP: 12:13pm On Jun 05, 2012
ernersinfobank:
Well said. We can work together if our mission online are compatible. Like I said earlier on, my mission is to guide Nigerians right online d problem is dat some of us don't to follow process, we want fast money n there is no such if u want to maintain integrity. I knw how I can make sharp money online in d detriment of others but 'No' I said to myself. I am earning legitimately from somewhere n I've, at least shown few of us d way. I'm not relenting. I will continue to search n inform. We can work togeda if we have d same mission n vission. I will highly appreciate it. It will make things work faster. Two heads r btter dan 1.
you are right bro. And i would love to work with you too. But do you have a kind of contact i can use to reach you so we can talk better? Hope to hear from you. Cheers to our partnership.

(1) (2) (Reply)

71 Year Old Grandma Arrested For Prostitution U.s / Mmm Nigeria Reduces Poverty By 20%(bbc News) Pic / Drinks And Aquadana Water For Sale At Whole Sale Price

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.