Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,344 members, 7,819,218 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:52 PM

NYSC Members Now Posted To Only Where They Are Secure... - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / NYSC Members Now Posted To Only Where They Are Secure... (6944 Views)

Embarrasing: See What A Corper Posted On Facebook / Guide For NYSC Members Participating In 2015 Election: A Case Study Of 2011Elec. / Batch B 2014 : Posted To Adamawa State, Let's Meet Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

NYSC Members Now Posted To Only Where They Are Secure... by stanogb(m): 8:46am On Jun 03, 2012
check this out...
[size=14pt]Corps members now posted to only where they are secure – NYSC D-G
On June 3, 2012 · In Interview
12:10 am
Email
[/size]
By Emma Ujah, Abuja Bureau Chief
Brig-Gen. Nnamdi Okore-Affia is indeed an army officer who says it the way he sees it. When he spoke with journalists in Abuja on Thursday, he was blunt on the contentious issue of posting corps members to volatile areas where several of them were killed by insurgents last year. According to him, female corps members now receive marshal arts training and members will no longer be posted to areas where their lives could be threatened. Excerpts:

After 38 years, what is the relevance of the NYSC to Nigeria?

Thirty-eight years is long enough to pursue the agenda of unity. I joined the service 31 years ago and when I was appointed as the DG of NYSC, I discovered that the NYSC was still running the same programmes that were in place when I was a corps member and I asked why we have not been sticking to the goal of fostering unity.

There was the need for a paradigm shift to reposition the NYSC to attain modern day realities. One area that we view as very important is the posting of corps members. People think that corps members should be posted to every available place where they need the services of cheap and subsidized labour, but this is not correct.

If NYSC was established to foster national unity, then corps members should be able to render service to the nation first, before service to self and private organisations or individuals.

*Corps members

What is the current posting policy of the scheme?

We have taken a critical look at corps members serving, for instance in places like banks and private organisations, and we ask ‘where does national service come into this if they are sent to banks’?. Therefore, I said it is necessary to bring back the actual concept of national service into the NYSC to build on the concept of national unity.

If corps members are posted to the rural communities to render services in education, primary healthcare centres, among others, these communities will not only benefit from the core manpower, but they will begin to appreciate the need for national unity.

It is not just the corps members who will be preaching national unity, but also the host communities that will receive young men and women from various other communities to render services in their domains. Through this, they will agree that national unity is something that is a worthwhile venture.

Then, we came up with a Positive policy design to address top key areas like education, primary healthcare delivery, agriculture and infrastructure development. Our belief is that if corps members are deployed to these four key areas, they will be able to render services directed and focused on national development with the attendant effects on the population.

Through this process, of course, the host communities will be better for this, because we have been to communities where education and healthcare delivery programmes survive purely on the corps members.

It is rather unfortunate that some of these communities are regarded in Nigeria of today as volatile and insecure. But the truth is that a lot of these communities depend solely on the corps members to run their education and primary healthcare delivery programmes.

One other thing we are trying to address is the issue of unemployment. Because of the high numbers of corps members, we have three batches for the service year, that is , Batch ‘A’, Batch ‘B’ and Batch ‘C’. A lot of organizations are eagerly waiting for these corps members to come on board as replacement for the outgoing ones.

A lot of organisations did not bother to go to the labour market to employ Nigerians, and we think that if we deprive them of this cheap subsidised labour, they will be compelled to meet their manpower needs by employing Nigerians.

This is one important area we want to address under the new administration. We have commenced the implementation with the Batch ‘A’ of 2012 and so far, even with the expected opposition and resistance, we are making progress.

Another area we felt is due for review is the concept of orientation course programmes. These have been affected by manual activities and a few lectures on the culture, tradition and history of the host communities. We thought that corps members needed something extra, because government jobs are no longer there for the people to come and choose.

Therefore, we felt it is necessary to introduce a skills acquisition programme for the corps members to equip them and thereafter have something to build on at the end of their service year. We all know that the labour market is already saturated and the jobs are not there.

We are skilled in the areas of animal husbandry, fish and grasscutter farming, snailery, beekeeping. All these are very good businesses with available markets, especially if you are very good in raising snails and grasscutters. Though these may have nothing to do with what the corps members read in their various schools, surely they are alternative means of livelihood.

The safety of corps members has become a big issue, especially in some parts of the country. How are you managing the posting to such areas?

We have introduced some elements of martial arts training in our orientation programme, targeted primarily at our female corps members. Prior to my coming on board, we had issues of female corps members being molested by okada riders, some by the traditional rulers.

The thinking is that if these young ladies have some forms of self- defence training, they would be able to say no in more ways than one. The main aim is to give these young ladies a fighting chance so that they would be able to defend themselves before the deed is done. They will probably not be helpless victims, but able to fight for themselves rather than crying for help.

At the just-concluded orientation for Batch ‘A’ 2012, I was actually amazed at the positive response to martial art training for the female corps members. It was interesting to see some level of enthusiasm witnessed and we are building on it.

Like I always tell my corps members, sometimes it is better to possess a skill and really not need it than to desperately need it and not have it. We have also taken some steps in addressing security concerns of corps members, parents and guardians, especially with the level of insecurity in some parts of the country, and building on the sad event of March or April, 2011.

Also, we set up a distress call centre at the national headquarters in Abuja here. The way it is configured to work is that every corps member who is mobilized is required to provide a functional GSM number registered to him or her. When that corps member completes orientation and is deployed for primary assignment, the place of that assignment is captured and details of security agencies in that locality are all captured.

If any corps member calls the centre with the registered number, every detail of that person will be displayed on the screen for its operator to relay back to any security agency within the area of primary assignment of the corps member making the distress call for prompt rescue operation.

The aim of this is primarily to reduce as much as possible the reaction time between when a corps member or groups are in some forms of distress and when they get help. We are assuring the general public that as long as they are with their registered GSM number within the service areas, corps members can reach the call centre and tell us what is amiss if any. So far, we have not received call for any help under distress other than call for financial help.

Also in addressing the se-curity concerns, we have intensified and increased our collaborations with the security agencies. As it is known, the National Youth Service Corps is not a security agency and that is why we need collaboration with those that are empowered to provide physical security, since we care about the security of our corps members. We have reached out to the Nigeria Police, State Security Service, SSS and the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, NSCDC, and they have been very responsive.

At the last orientation, we had increased deployment of manpower from these organizations and of course, also from the Nigerian Army, all which provided security for the corps members. Thereafter, when they were deployed for their primary assignments, we have also compiled addresses of all existing lodges where the corps members usually reside while serving and given the same to security agencies within those areas for them to know the direction of the corps members in time of need for help whenever the need arises.

Let us understand one thing, Nigeria has 36 states plus one federal capital territory; by our mandate, we must post corps members to every state of the federation good or bad. However, because some areas have been described as volatile for one reason or the other, we have reduced the number of corps members posted to those states such that at the end of orientation, they are deployable within the state capitals and maybe one or two local government areas where they can be easily reached by the state coordinator, the Commissioner of Police or state director of SSS so that you don’t have them in far-flung areas where help will not get to them but the truth is that each state is deserving of whatever number of corps members that should be sent to them. Like I said earlier, there are 36 states and the FCT that make up the Federal Republic of Nigeria. We will not deliberately send people to violence-prone areas but at least to state capitals.

Would you say that the skills acquisition programme of the NYSC is actually making any difference in job creation in the country, given the large number of graduates churned out of our tertiary institutions yearly?

We are building on our skills acquisition programme. We also have what we call War Against Poverty Initiative. This was derived from the Millennium Development Goals, MDGs which centre on the eradication of poverty. Corps members who partake in our skills acquisition training, and who at the end of their service year, are desirous of establishing their businesses, are given interest-free loans to start such businesses.

The main requirement is to have a workable memorandum of understanding, MoU with a guarantor and the only collateral required is the certificate of national service, which will be released to the corps member at the end of completion of the loan facility.

So far, about 2, 000 to 3, 000 corps members have accessed the facility. The loan ranges from N150, 000 to N250, 000 per individual for small scale enterprises.

That these loans are being repaid by the first set of beneficiaries is an indication that their businesses are thriving. It is not only the corps members that are building successful businesses, but also the labour market is beginning to find answers to the large scale unemployment in the country, because for every business that succeeds, one or two members of the communities where the business is located will also gain employment from the corps members.

It is our hope that for every 10 corps members, if nine succeed and each employs five local hands, it will go a long way in addressing the issue of youth unemployment in the country.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/06/corps-members-now-posted-to-only-where-they-are-secure-nysc-d-g/

1 Like

Re: NYSC Members Now Posted To Only Where They Are Secure... by stanogb(m): 9:04am On Jun 03, 2012
"The thinking is that if these young ladies have some forms of self- defence training, they would be able to say no in more ways than one. The main aim is to give these young ladies a fighting chance so that they would be able to defend themselves before the deed is done. They will probably not be helpless victims, but able to fight for themselves rather than crying for help."
[size=13pt]and probably defend bomb blasts
[/size] grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: NYSC Members Now Posted To Only Where They Are Secure... by shakz(m): 6:11am On Jun 04, 2012
all na wash jare
Re: NYSC Members Now Posted To Only Where They Are Secure... by stanogb(m): 7:50am On Jun 04, 2012
lets hope that its true cool cool cool
Re: NYSC Members Now Posted To Only Where They Are Secure... by flairlady(f): 8:50am On Jun 04, 2012
Snailery,grasscutter farming,beekeeping?na wa o.
Re: NYSC Members Now Posted To Only Where They Are Secure... by Shygal(f): 9:16am On Jun 04, 2012
stan-ogb:
"The thinking is that if these young ladies have some forms of self- defence training, they would be able to say no in more ways than one. The main aim is to give these young ladies a fighting chance so that they would be able to defend themselves before the deed is done. They will probably not be helpless victims, but able to fight for themselves rather than crying for help."
lol
Re: NYSC Members Now Posted To Only Where They Are Secure... by Knight1(m): 9:51am On Jun 04, 2012
What does he mean by education? Corpers teaching only or can be posted to education parastatals.?
Re: NYSC Members Now Posted To Only Where They Are Secure... by bright007(f): 9:57am On Jun 04, 2012
stan-ogb:
defend themselves against animals who have been brain-washed of getting 72 virgins by blowing up themselves.
Re: NYSC Members Now Posted To Only Where They Are Secure... by hok4u(f): 9:58am On Jun 04, 2012
mtcheeew,naso den dey talk
Re: NYSC Members Now Posted To Only Where They Are Secure... by StateOfMind: 10:27am On Jun 04, 2012
..."By our mandate, we must post corpers to every state of the federation whether good or bad..."

Is this man for real!!!

1 Like

Re: NYSC Members Now Posted To Only Where They Are Secure... by bayulll01(m): 10:29am On Jun 04, 2012
says that to the crows,some pple will be posted to core north
Re: NYSC Members Now Posted To Only Where They Are Secure... by Jaykizz(m): 10:29am On Jun 04, 2012
Abegi, gud programs on paper, bt vry bad mplementatn of dis policies. Wil anybdy nid martial arts against a bomb blast or if a lady is gangd by 5guys wit cutlas, wil M.A. wk in such a situatn? In ma own lil opinion, nysc shld av beta n mor resolute programs 4 corpers else it shld b abolishd.
Re: NYSC Members Now Posted To Only Where They Are Secure... by slimming: 10:39am On Jun 04, 2012
NYSC needs to be parked with training rather posting them for job duty.
Re: NYSC Members Now Posted To Only Where They Are Secure... by Onyenna(m): 10:41am On Jun 04, 2012
....Yeah....defend themselves against boko......even the soldiers can't even contain them....... 鶖埽宵戈 奢臼㛦(chinese laugh)........

Re: NYSC Members Now Posted To Only Where They Are Secure... by Onyenna(m): 10:42am On Jun 04, 2012
....Yeah....defend themselves against boko......even the soldiers can't even contain them....... 鶖埽宵戈。i laugh i̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊​ chinese 奢臼㛦

Re: NYSC Members Now Posted To Only Where They Are Secure... by ONEPEACE(m): 11:10am On Jun 04, 2012
GUY PLEASE IS THERE STILL AGE LIMIT, IF YES ANY HOPE OF REVIEW THE AGE LIMIT POLICY
Re: NYSC Members Now Posted To Only Where They Are Secure... by escobar07(m): 11:14am On Jun 04, 2012
And what's their definition of secure? I thinks its very important to know.
Re: NYSC Members Now Posted To Only Where They Are Secure... by anuel4luv(m): 11:20am On Jun 04, 2012
Well, I like the idea of martial arts o grin......atleast the ladies will become 'Michelle Yeoh' at the end of the orientation program.....they shoud teach corpers how 2 sense n disarm bombs too....they can employ Jack Bauer 2 tutor them...I think I have his number....
Re: NYSC Members Now Posted To Only Where They Are Secure... by chidike(m): 11:26am On Jun 04, 2012
stan-ogb:
check this out...
[size=14pt]

The safety of corps members has become a big issue, especially in some parts of the country. How are you managing the posting to such areas?

We have introduced some elements of martial arts training in our orientation programme, targeted primarily at our female corps members. Prior to my coming on board, we had issues of female corps members being molested by okada riders, some by the traditional rulers.

The thinking is that if these young ladies have some forms of self- defence training, they would be able to say no in more ways than one. The main aim is to give these young ladies a fighting chance so that they would be able to defend themselves before the deed is done. They will probably not be helpless victims, but able to fight for themselves rather than crying for help.

At the just-concluded orientation for Batch ‘A’ 2012, I was actually amazed at the positive response to martial art training for the female corps members. It was interesting to see some level of enthusiasm witnessed and we are building on it./
shocked If you see the rubbish martial arts we were thought in kaduna eh! u'd wonder if its a kid we're gonna be defending ourselves against. almost as if the tutor watched a chinese movie and was practicing with us...bullshit smh!
Re: NYSC Members Now Posted To Only Where They Are Secure... by omenziate(m): 11:42am On Jun 04, 2012
Yeye man, Just Post d Northereners to their land and let d southerners serve anywhere in d south. u wan teach person hw to use bicycle kick against bomb or karate chop against 13 savagely abokis abi? I pity d corper wey try am
Re: NYSC Members Now Posted To Only Where They Are Secure... by anuel4luv(m): 12:00pm On Jun 04, 2012
chidike:
shocked If you see the rubbish martial arts we were thought in kaduna eh! u'd wonder if its a kid we're gonna be defending ourselves against. almost as if the tutor watched a chinese movie and was practicing with us...bullshit smh!

Hahahaha......OMG.....you won't kill me with laugh o....maybe I'l start watching chinese movies so that I won't have to be attending classes when I get to camp next month. Derailed people..Even Jet Li didn't learn martial art in 3 weeks....God help us all.
Re: NYSC Members Now Posted To Only Where They Are Secure... by telani4real(m): 12:01pm On Jun 04, 2012
may God punish dat mouth of urs,hw does bomb diffusion and mac 4 relate to martial arts. Hw does gang attack relate to security. Brox abeg try post ur children go maiduguri and make we c hw relax u wuld b
Re: NYSC Members Now Posted To Only Where They Are Secure... by stanogb(m): 12:13pm On Jun 04, 2012
chidike:
seriously, I believe the martial arts are just a form of exercise...I bet you that Even those teaching it cant protect themselves from attacks...Only God can protect us... cool
Re: NYSC Members Now Posted To Only Where They Are Secure... by Bontee: 2:02pm On Jun 04, 2012
StateOfMind: ..."By our mandate, we must post corpers to every state of the federation whether good or bad..."

Is this man for real!!!

I think so if the principle of federal character comes to play as no state should be cheated at the bearest minimum in national issues. I think it has come to the stage where people should choose where to serve that is totally different from their state of origin and place with similar cultural styles. Also if you schooled outside your state of origin or cultural influence then you should be made to serve and give back to the community where you gained your higher education. I see no reason why a guy from ogun state schooling in enugu will now be posted to kano for youth service. he has surely integrated to the enugu community through his or her tertiary studies and should give back to that community by serving them.

1 Like

Re: NYSC Members Now Posted To Only Where They Are Secure... by stanogb(m): 5:46pm On Jun 04, 2012
ONE PEACE: GUY PLEASE IS THERE STILL AGE LIMIT, IF YES ANY HOPE OF REVIEW THE AGE LIMIT POLICY
yes there is an age limit, those above 30 years of age wont be listed; so to avoid that, when you're filling the NYSC mobilization form, your year of birth which you write should indicate you're less than 30. smiley smiley smiley
Re: NYSC Members Now Posted To Only Where They Are Secure... by Nobody: 8:19pm On Jun 04, 2012
When boko haram wan hug u wt bomb shay na dat time you go remember kungfu?
I laff!
Re: NYSC Members Now Posted To Only Where They Are Secure... by donezra(m): 8:32pm On Jun 04, 2012
Please ladies, don't try the kungfu at home or in the market
Re: NYSC Members Now Posted To Only Where They Are Secure... by anitank(f): 10:03pm On Jun 04, 2012
Blah blah blah blah
Re: NYSC Members Now Posted To Only Where They Are Secure... by dasparrow: 2:31am On Jun 05, 2012
stan-ogb:

yes there is an age limit, those above 30 years of age wont be listed; so to avoid that, when you're filling the NYSC mobilization form, your year of birth which you write should indicate you're less than 30. smiley smiley smiley

So you advise him to lie about his age? Dishonesty is definately in the blood of most Nigerians. Chai!
Re: NYSC Members Now Posted To Only Where They Are Secure... by finecoco: 10:57am On Jun 05, 2012
Story....the best is to post only the people who are frm the violence prone areas back to their place cos they will be safer there than posting strangers there....
Martial arts ko..martial arts ni....wat kind of karate will safeguard a lady or even a guy frm machete and clubs weilding mob?people that slaughter without mercy
Abeggiii.....evry state is entitled to its corp membersso they will continue to kill us abi
Since they kw corpers contribute immensely to their developmnt,then y kill them?
in times past...corpers uniform was a symbol of safety everywhere,evn frm armd robbers cos evryone kws how these young souls suffer in undevelpod states for ayear just for their countries....but what did the bad Muslims do?..broke the myth and made corpers dispendable.....
Plssss...they shud stay in d north while we serve down here..leave all these stories undecidedStory....the best is to post only the people who are frm the violence prone areas back to their place cos they will be safer there than posting strangers there....
Martial arts ko..martial arts ni....wat kind of karate will safeguard a lady or even a guy frm machete and clubs weilding mob?people that slaughter without mercy
Abeggiii.....evry state is entitled to its corp membersso they will continue to kill us abi
Since they kw corpers contribute immensely to their developmnt,then y kill them?
in times past...corpers uniform was a symbol of safety everywhere,evn frm armd robbers cos evryone kws how these young souls suffer in undevelpod states for ayear just for their countries....but what did the bad Muslims do?..broke the myth and made corpers dispendable.....
Plssss...they shud stay in d north while we serve down here..leave all these stories
Re: NYSC Members Now Posted To Only Where They Are Secure... by finecoco: 11:07am On Jun 05, 2012
omenziate: Yeye man, Just Post d Northereners to their land and let d southerners serve anywhere in d south. u wan teach person hw to use bicycle kick against bomb or karate chop against 13 savagely abokis abi? I pity d corper wey try am
Lolll......tell this yeye man...Nonsense!!

(1) (2) (Reply)

A Corps Member In Dire Need Of A PPA In Port Harcourt / NYSC Corpers Searching For The Right Spouse / Batch B 2013 Corpers Posted To Nassarawa let's meet here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.