Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,576 members, 7,820,070 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:17 AM

The Hobby - Work Connection - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / The Hobby - Work Connection (2408 Views)

Olu Akanmu's Resignation (airtel): The Prima Garnet/scanad Connection / Any Connection With A Job Opportunity In Usa / Defined By Design: Earn Big From The World's Most Lucrative Hobby Business (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Hobby - Work Connection by keemax(f): 7:12pm On Jun 04, 2012
Welcome on board. This post is for those left with no other choice than to fall on their hobby to create a job.
Examples of people who made millions from this connection abound. Zuckerberg's hobby of writing software programmes from middle school, turned him into billionaire in his twenties.
Who is going to be the next hobby million? Let us continue the gig tomorrow.
Thanks.

1 Like

Re: The Hobby - Work Connection by keemax(f): 1:11pm On Jun 05, 2012
Good morning. Thanks for going through the post.
For today we shall examine what a hobby is. According to the dictionary, a hobby is what you like to do for pleasure.

Since your hobby is a passion of your's, the probability of it's success when you turn it to work will be high. That is what is being promoted here.
I am sure that Tiger Woods initially played golf as a hobby, but when he saw the prospect therein, he turned pro.

What factor plays the major role in your choice of hobby? Let us discuss this. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: The Hobby - Work Connection by nitrogen(m): 1:33pm On Jun 05, 2012
keemax: Good morning. Thanks for going through the post.
For today we shall examine what a hobby is. According to the dictionary, a hobby is what you like to do for pleasure.

Since your hobby is a passion of your's, the probability of it's success when you turn it to work will be high. That is what is being promoted here.
I am sure that Tiger Woods initially played golf as a hobby, but when he saw the prospect therein, he turned pro.

What factor plays the major role in your choice of hobby? Let us discuss this. Thanks.
Choose hobby? I think your hobby is part of you, since it is what you do with pleasure and at ease and as you rightly said, maybe what you a passionate about, so it is only for you to locate it (discover what you are passionate about and make it your hobby). And not forgetting that you can have more than one hobbies.

1 Like

Re: The Hobby - Work Connection by nitrogen(m): 1:37pm On Jun 05, 2012
Perhaps, i sounded cöntradictory to your second post, it might be as a result of our differences in thought.
Re: The Hobby - Work Connection by keemax(f): 2:35pm On Jun 05, 2012
Not at all, i love to learn and i enjoy constructive criticism. It is the path to greatness.
Check my other threads in business/money category, 'How to turn yourself into a multimillion naira brand' and 'business ideas for the returning Nigerian diaspora'. Criticise it. Thanks bro

1 Like

Re: The Hobby - Work Connection by keemax(f): 2:26pm On Jun 06, 2012
Hi friends, let us make this thread more fun. Rather than write on the thread topic, throw your hobbies at me and let us see what i can make from it.
Thanks.

1 Like

Re: The Hobby - Work Connection by gendebs(m): 1:01pm On Jun 07, 2012
Writing (thou I am not that constructive but I always want to write on anything) I love repairs
Re: The Hobby - Work Connection by keemax(f): 5:01pm On Jun 07, 2012
Thanks Mr gendebs. Writing + repairs, what a powerful combination.

First, I will advice you choose a niche for your repairs e.g electronic, electrical or mechanical repairs of an object of interest (cars, computer, appliances e.t.c)
Learn more about your chosen niche to become an expert. Also learn how to write very well.
The bang for you will be in the writing of DIY (do it yourself) repairs, for sale, in form of info product. Imagine a written step by step, with pictures DIY on repairs of 'i beta pass my neighbour' generator. With good marketing, it will sell hot.
Blog about it - you write about repairs on the blog, package it well so people can pay for advisory services on repairs.

Wish you success. Thanks
Re: The Hobby - Work Connection by keemax(f): 12:00pm On Jun 08, 2012
Anybody else looking for a work-hobby advice? At your disposal. Thanks.
Re: The Hobby - Work Connection by tanimola22: 12:19pm On Jun 08, 2012
keemax: Anybody else looking for a work-hobby advice? At your disposal. Thanks.

Actually I like talking. I was a young teacher for many years. I have taught at almost every level--primary, secondary and university (helped people who found it hard to comprehend university level work). I guess my hobby is talking as I can effortlessly hold conversations for many hours, switching from one topic to another. I also know how to meet new people and get them to talk with me, no matter how highly placed they are. I have noticed that I score more points with older men and ladies, but especially older ladies because many of them just like my company, and many of them have billionaire husbands too cheesy which make them less insecure, unlike many of the much younger ladies who think holding a conversation with them directly implies trying to lure them to your apartment cheesy

Given all I have said, how can I turn these inclinational strengths to billions of dollars? Although I realize that a classroom is where I am supposed to be, I am very money conscious and I am well open and always willing to do anything legal that will give me too much financial freedom.

Any help will be helpful!!

Thank you

T22

2 Likes

Re: The Hobby - Work Connection by keemax(f): 1:48pm On Jun 08, 2012
Thanks tanimola for taking up my challenge. Your ability to talk is an asset.
Let me see how i can help you with your asset.

I can talk effortlessly: polish your english well. Consider being a compere for events for a start. Go back to the schools you talked about and compere during inter-house sport, valedictories, prize-giving and its likes. From their, talk your way to link other schools and outside events.

Link on to your local government and talk them into airing their achievements on the TV or radio, with you as the talk host. You can try talking to organizations or even schools too.

Use your practical experience to run a seminar with the theme 'how to talk to get what you want'. You can search for a better topic for the theme.

On your ability to hold forth with the rich and mighty, i will get back by Monday. We have to be careful so they don't feel ripped off.

I hope this little piece helped you.

1 Like

Re: The Hobby - Work Connection by stepo707: 1:56pm On Jun 08, 2012
Bookmarked.@ keemax keep it up.i am learning from your inspired writeup.
Re: The Hobby - Work Connection by tanimola22: 2:05pm On Jun 08, 2012
keemax: Thanks tanimola for taking up my challenge. Your ability to talk is an asset.
Let me see how i can help you with your asset.

I can talk effortlessly: polish your english well. Consider being a compere for events for a start. Go back to the schools you talked about and compere during inter-house sport, valedictories, prize-giving and its likes. From their, talk your way to link other schools and outside events.

Link on to your local government and talk them into airing their achievements on the TV or radio, with you as the talk host. You can try talking to organizations or even schools too.

Use your practical experience to run a seminar with the theme 'how to talk to get what you want'. You can search for a better topic for the theme.

On your ability to hold forth with the rich and mighty, i will get back by Monday. We have to be careful so they don't feel ripped off.

I hope this little piece helped you.

Thanks a lot, a lot buddy! It sure does help.

I have been trying to do the first highlighted but with very little success. I am still trying though and believe I will get there one day. Please don't get me wrong, I communicate acceptably (at least people seem to understand me when I open my mouth grin). However, I don't consider my communication skills as being very polished because of the too many mistakes I make while talking (although they are mistakes that only the very, very sound people in the English language can spot). The other suggestions are nice because they offer an opportunity to practice and practice and practice until one becomes an expert or something near.

On the second highlighted, I can only say I looking forward to hearing your perspective. I have never thought about that, you know.

Thanks again,
T22.
Re: The Hobby - Work Connection by keemax(f): 2:55pm On Jun 08, 2012
Stepo thanks. Tanimola you 've got to use what you have to get what you want. Failure is not an option for you.

Try the compere for free initially. Do it so well and interesting that they would always want you back.

Goodluck.
Re: The Hobby - Work Connection by AjanleKoko: 3:39pm On Jun 08, 2012
I didn't even know we blacks had hobbies grin
Re: The Hobby - Work Connection by keemax(f): 8:45am On Jun 11, 2012
Thanks Ajanlekoko we blacks are not lesser beings.
@Tanimola, good morning am back as i promised.

For being able to connect to the rich and mighty, I suggest you look at fundraising. Here, you connect NGOs or CBOs and help them raise fund,on an agreed fee, by talking to the rich and mighty to donate money.
Nigerian celebrities are also good target for fundraising business. Most of them have foundations which requires external funding. Fill in this gap and connect the stars with funds from the rich.

Most of these women are rich but lonely - a good opportunity to start a personal chatting business with the theme 'rich but lonely at 50'. You will go in person to chat with the lonely at heart for a fee.

These are ideas you can tinker with. However for an in depth description of how to go about anyone you choose, please contact me.

My challenge is still open to others. Let me help you connect your hobby with a work.
Thanks.

1 Like

Re: The Hobby - Work Connection by AjanleKoko: 8:57am On Jun 11, 2012
keemax: Thanks Ajanlekoko we blacks are not lesser beings.

Not having a hobby doesn't make one a lesser being.
Just that we blacks are rather preoccupied with survival above all things. Nairaland peeps are no exception grin

1 Like

Re: The Hobby - Work Connection by keemax(f): 9:26am On Jun 11, 2012
Quite right. Life can however be more interesting when you turn your hobby to work.

So take part in my challenge. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: The Hobby - Work Connection by AjanleKoko: 9:39am On Jun 11, 2012
By the way, Tiger Woods was World Junior Champion five times before he was twelve years old.
Does that sound to you like he played golf as a hobby?

2 Likes

Re: The Hobby - Work Connection by keemax(f): 9:45am On Jun 11, 2012
Without the initial love he had for golf, i am sure he would't have touched with a 10 feet stick.
Thanks and have a pleasant morning.
Re: The Hobby - Work Connection by AjanleKoko: 10:14am On Jun 11, 2012
keemax: Without the initial love he had for golf, i am sure he would't have touched with a 10 feet stick.
Thanks and have a pleasant morning.

You need to do some research. You started the topic like you actually knew something about the subject matter, but its turning out like you were just passing on some random gist. Your assertion is fundamentally wrong.

People like Tiger Woods, the Williams sisters, and a host of other sports people, as well as programmers like Bill Gates, have been in special programs since they were little children. Earl Woods started Tiger on golf when he was ONE YEAR OLD, imagine! He was recorded putting on the Bob Hope show at age 2. Bobe Hope, for crying out loud, does that sound like hobbyist golfing? Likewise the Williams sisters and their dad. Bill Gates had amassed over 10,000 hours of programming by the time he was 16. A lot of professional programmers today have not spent that much time programming.
If you want a good example to support your topic, look to European footballers, epecially those who play for France and Holland. A number of them, like Karim Benzema or Robin Van Persie played soccer on the streets of ghettoes and slums. They were not part of any soccer academies or high-performance programs.

The truth is, there is hardly anybody making serious money from their hobbies. Certainly not high-performance sportsmen in the developed world. Many of them have been training in their particular discipline even before they learned to speak properly.

And I don't believe people have hobbies in Nigeria. A hobby is not something you'd like to do if you had the chance, it's something you do actively. T22's love for teaching doesn't sound like a hobby, as I doubt he has spent up to 1,000 hours actively teaching (unless he is actually a teacher!). Most people are not comfortable in Nigeria. If you're not comfortable, you most likely don't have control over resources or time, and therefore are not likely to have any hobbies. Food, sleep, and sex can hardly be referred to as hobbies undecided

3 Likes

Re: The Hobby - Work Connection by uceee(m): 12:06pm On Jun 11, 2012
@Ajanlekoko, I beg to differ. Your perception of hobbies is a bit flawed. A hobby is something you love to do whenever you have the opportunity. You don't do it because you have to or because you are good at it. You do it just because you enjoy doing it. Most people don' t realise this about hobbies: You don't have to be very good at something before you can rate it as a hobby. Also, you may be excellent at something, but not really enjoy doing it. You do not need any incentive to engage in your hobby (whether it pays or not, you're still gonna do it). You'd be suprised at the hobbies people have: Some people love manual labour (nothing in particular, it just has to be hard work). It doesn't have to be the well recognised and popular ones like dancing, Designing etc. Of course our immediate environment definitely has a lot of effect on our hobbies. The Nigerian situation is peculiar cos of the poverty level. But honestly, we are not as poor as the media say we are. Everyone has the opportunity to pick up a hobby at one point in life. Even in the bid to survive, one can start to enjoy the work he does. So much that even when his station in life improves, he will still engage in that task whenever time or other constraints allow. Someone who is too busy may hardly have time to engage in his hobby, but that doesn't mean that he has no hobby.

1 Like

Re: The Hobby - Work Connection by AjanleKoko: 12:28pm On Jun 11, 2012
uceee: @Ajanlekoko, I beg to differ. Your perception of hobbies is a bit flawed. A hobby is something you love to do whenever you have the opportunity. You don't do it because you have to or because you are good at it. You do it just because you enjoy doing it. Most people don' t realise this about hobbies: You don't have to be very good at something before you can rate it as a hobby. Also, you may be excellent at something, but not really enjoy doing it. You do not need any incentive to engage in your hobby (whether it pays or not, you're still gonna do it). You'd be suprised at the hobbies people have: Some people love manual labour (nothing in particular, it just has to be hard work). It doesn't have to be the well recognised and popular ones like dancing, Designing etc. Of course our immediate environment definitely has a lot of effect on our hobbies. The Nigerian situation is peculiar cos of the poverty level. But honestly, we are not as poor as the media say we are. Everyone has the opportunity to pick up a hobby at one point in life. Even in the bid to survive, one can start to enjoy the work he does. So much that even when his station in life improves, he will still engage in that task whenever time or other constraints allow. Someone who is too busy may hardly have time to engage in his hobby, but that doesn't mean that he has no hobby.

I like that cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Someone's hobby is manual labour. Yes, manual labour grin

Okay, lets look at the dictionary definition of the word:

noun, plural hob·bies.
1. an activity or interest pursued for pleasure or relaxation and not as a main occupation:

Okay, so manual labour will be pursued for relaxation?
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: The Hobby - Work Connection by uceee(m): 1:42pm On Jun 11, 2012
You're suprised right? Don't drop the dictionary yet. Kindly look up the word "workaholic". People have widely divergent tendencies.
Re: The Hobby - Work Connection by AjanleKoko: 2:09pm On Jun 11, 2012
uceee: You're suprised right? Don't drop the dictionary yet. Kindly look up the word "workaholic". People have widely divergent tendencies.

noun
a person who works compulsively at the expense of other pursuits.

your point being?
Re: The Hobby - Work Connection by uceee(m): 3:06pm On Jun 11, 2012
AjanleKoko:
noun, plural hob·bies.
1. an activity or interest pursued for pleasure or relaxation and not as a main occupation:

AjanleKoko:

noun
a person who works compulsively at the expense of other pursuits.

Deduction: One can only habitually work compulsively at the expense of other pursuits if his work ultimately gives him pleasure. A workaholic would always want to work, even if there's nothing else to be done. Of course he does not only work on his "main occupation." Therefore, work is the activity/interest he pursues for pleasure and not only as a "main occupation". That is the whole point of the work-hobby connection. Work can be hobby, hobby can be work.

1 Like

Re: The Hobby - Work Connection by AjanleKoko: 4:48pm On Jun 11, 2012
uceee: Deduction: One can only habitually work compulsively at the expense of other pursuits if his work ultimately gives him pleasure. A workaholic would always want to work, even if there's nothing else to be done. Of course he does not only work on his "main occupation." Therefore, work is the activity/interest he pursues for pleasure and not only as a "main occupation". That is the whole point of the work-hobby connection. Work can be hobby, hobby can be work.

Fallacy.
The dictionary definition doesn't point us anywhere there. Workaholics don't necessarily find happiness in work, they may just be addicted to it. A hobby, on the other hand, is an interest, as clearly elucidated in the dictionary definition.

Do you know, one thing about this argument indicates something to me. We Africans are really paranoid about the way we are perceived. Or maybe it is Nigerians. We seem to be obsessed with not 'carrying last'.
It is actually all right to not have a hobby, in my view. If you don't have a hobby, you don't have a hobby. It doesn't infer that you're stoopid. You may simply not have the time or resources to pursue a hobby actively. It doesn't make you look bad. Many oyinbos don't have a hobby. If all white people had a hobby, there wouldn't be an obesity problem in America wink

Below are examples of what I consider as hobbies:

In my university days, I was obsessed with rap music, and spent every minute of my spare time listening to rap, reading about rap, learning rap lyrics. So much that I set up a radio station in my hall of residence, and actually ran it with a couple of friends of mine. We also had a rap group that kicked it at shows and raves. In fact, one of us is a popular hip-hop DJ in the UK (he's also a banker with one of the big European banks in his day job). My interest has since waned, for many reasons, primarily because when I left school, survival took pre-eminence, and I didn't have the time or resources to focus on music or any other hobby for that matter. He went to the UK for his postgrad, and was able to continue with our shared interest.

These days, my hobby is sports, soccer in particular. I spend much of my spare time reading a lot of books, magazines, articles, about soccer, and watching a lot of soccer games. When other people download series and movies, I download past football games, from the 50s, 60s, 70s, and 80s. I've read Soccernomics, Soccer Men, Fever Pitch (Nick Hornby's book), and a variety of books about soccer tactics. I've seen live games in England, Spain, Germany, and Italy. I like nothing better than to get together with my close circle of soccer-loving friends and discuss games, tactics, plays, historical soccer figures, etc. In fact, I have a project for the next few years, to float a junior soccer team. I have a friend who's mad about basketball, and he actually owns a basketball team playing in the Nigerian Basketball League.

1 Like

Re: The Hobby - Work Connection by tanimola22: 5:06pm On Jun 11, 2012
AjanleKoko:

You need to do some research. You started the topic like you actually knew something about the subject matter, but its turning out like you were just passing on some random gist. Your assertion is fundamentally wrong.

People like Tiger Woods, the Williams sisters, and a host of other sports people, as well as programmers like Bill Gates, have been in special programs since they were little children. Earl Woods started Tiger on golf when he was ONE YEAR OLD, imagine! He was recorded putting on the Bob Hope show at age 2. Bobe Hope, for crying out loud, does that sound like hobbyist golfing? Likewise the Williams sisters and their dad. Bill Gates had amassed over 10,000 hours of programming by the time he was 16. A lot of professional programmers today have not spent that much time programming.
If you want a good example to support your topic, look to European footballers, epecially those who play for France and Holland. A number of them, like Karim Benzema or Robin Van Persie played soccer on the streets of ghettoes and slums. They were not part of any soccer academies or high-performance programs.

The truth is, there is hardly anybody making serious money from their hobbies. Certainly not high-performance sportsmen in the developed world. Many of them have been training in their particular discipline even before they learned to speak properly.

And I don't believe people have hobbies in Nigeria. A hobby is not something you'd like to do if you had the chance, it's something you do actively. T22's love for teaching doesn't sound like a hobby, as I doubt he has spent up to 1,000 hours actively teaching (unless he is actually a teacher!). Most people are not comfortable in Nigeria. If you're not comfortable, you most likely don't have control over resources or time, and therefore are not likely to have any hobbies. Food, sleep, and sex can hardly be referred to as hobbies undecided

I have taught for more than double the number of hours you stated. 3-4 hours each day for a week gives 15-20, for a month gives 60-80, for a year gives 720-960, for more than 5 years gives a minimum of 3600 hours. And yes, I taught actively for these years. It is hard for me to believe too, but that is the fact.

In fact, I started teaching immediately I left high school(I was 'headhunted' by one of my own former high school teachers to teach at his 4-8 evening school). During my university days, I was still in the business. After my university education, I was still in the business. During NYSC, I was completely in the business, teaching for an average of 4.5 hours per day. If all these hours are aggregated, the result would be more than what I stated earlier.

T22
Re: The Hobby - Work Connection by AjanleKoko: 5:26pm On Jun 11, 2012
tanimola22:
I have taught for more than double the number of hours you stated. 3-4 hours each day for a week gives 15-20, for a month gives 60-80, for a year gives 720-960, for more than 5 years gives a minimum of 3600 hours. And yes, I taught actively for these years. It is hard for me to believe too, but that is the fact.

In fact, I started teaching immediately I left high school(I was 'headhunted' by one of my own former high school teachers to teach at his 4-8 evening school). During my university days, I was still in the business. After my university education, I was still in the business. During NYSC, I was completely in the business, teaching for an average of 4.5 hours per day. If all these hours are aggregated, the result would be more than what I stated earlier.

T22

Interesting.
Definitely qualifies to be a hobby.
Re: The Hobby - Work Connection by Nobody: 5:33pm On Jun 11, 2012
AjanleKoko:

Fallacy.
The dictionary definition doesn't point us anywhere there. Workaholics don't necessarily find happiness in work, they may just be addicted to it. A hobby, on the other hand, is an interest, as clearly elucidated in the dictionary definition.

Do you know, one thing about this argument indicates something to me. We Africans are really paranoid about the way we are perceived. Or maybe it is Nigerians. We seem to be obsessed with not 'carrying last'.
It is actually all right to not have a hobby, in my view. If you don't have a hobby, you don't have a hobby. It doesn't infer that you're stoopid. You may simply not have the time or resources to pursue a hobby actively. It doesn't make you look bad. Many oyinbos don't have a hobby. If all white people had a hobby, there wouldn't be an obesity problem in America wink

erm . . .when your hobby is tv, alcohol or eating or *ouch* gaming

1 Like

Re: The Hobby - Work Connection by keemax(f): 6:58pm On Jun 11, 2012
I enjoyed the arguments and the counter- arguments. However, my stance remains the same on any post of mine in this thread, likewise do I respect the views of others. Thanks to everybody.

Please let us move forward to assist those who can make a meaning or something out of the work-hobby connection thread.
Thanks.

1 Like

Re: The Hobby - Work Connection by keemax(f): 1:05pm On Jun 13, 2012
Good day friends. Today, I want us to understand the place of knowledge in the pursuit of our hobby as work.
Requirements change when going from an amateur to a pro; likewise when turning a hobby often used for relaxation or fun to a money paying venture. Expertise is required without excuse in work. Rules can be broken with hobby, but not with work.

For someone who intends to turn the hobby of writing into work - an in depth knowledge on how to write to communicate is of dire need.
For the writers in our midst, you will agree that the rules of written English are quite different from spoken English. So grammar, style and structure is of necessity.

In conclusion, a casual knowledge about your hobby is not enough to make you an expert on it.

What is your own stance on this?
My challenge of helping to make a work out of your hobby still stand.

Thanks.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

German Courses For Medical Doctors & Nurses / Physiotherapy Or Nursing Profession; Which One Is The Best In The Europe. / Worst Employer Of Labour In Nigeria- Afrijet Airlines

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.