Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,425 members, 7,819,539 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:47 PM

Why Most Web Developers Fail - Programming (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Why Most Web Developers Fail (7235 Views)

Knickknacks For Programmers/ Web Developers And UX/UI Professionals / My Advice To 9ja Programers And Web Developers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Most Web Developers Fail by spendogram: 8:17am On Jun 13, 2012
The reason why Nigerian web developers fail is the same reason why Nigeria as a whole fails. We are too vague in our approach to anything. For web developers business models and solutions are often too vaguely conceived.

Please note that it is our culture that encourages us to do things the way we do. Our culture kind of rewards physical power more than mental power. Things are just gradually changing as we are embracing new cultures and concepts. Have you ever wondered why we easily match the west in terms of consuming new technologies and concepts but can not replicate the same "copycatism" when it comes to producing new technologies and concepts?

We need to develop a culture that gives great rewards to mental power not physical power. We should also note that mental power does not mean we being good tape-recorder-playback but being good at seeing seemingly unrelated pieces and gathering them together to proffer useful solutions to our local problems.
Re: Why Most Web Developers Fail by dastudent(m): 11:59am On Jun 13, 2012
hotwax:

Do you expect me to go and create a page for calabash just because I am from Africa?

10 years after Facebook became popular, GooglePlus was created and its becoming more popular than facebook.

Is facebook meant to be only social apps out there? Myspace was there before facebook. Facebook came and over shadow myspace. Are you saying myspace only has license to build social Apps.

I am working on a Social/Cloud OS. Does it mean since there is microsoft cloud, I should not try and contribute my own quota to cloud computing world?

You have not addressed Nigerian developers problem.

1. Poverty/pain of bootstrapping a new business
2. Government attitude/support towards creativity/Government protection of intellectual properties.
3. Poor economy and currency Issue
4. Curroption/yahoo yahoo guys. Nobody trust a Nigerian on the Internet
5. Many more...

Dude,Google plus is not half has popular as Facebook ooo!
Re: Why Most Web Developers Fail by Michky: 12:14pm On Jun 13, 2012
Most Nigerian developers fail because they are greedy cheap ppl who, like housin agents, want to rip you off at the slightest opportunity. Many of you should have either made it big from referals or patnershp but the 5naira consultation fees and inconsiderate hyper-billin of clients have destroyd most of you. There r many nigerians out there wit gr8 ideas but no funds dat you could work wit and share the spoils but yall r lazy hyennas who wud keep blamin everythin on others.*hiss* I av nt even mentiond d fact that many nigerian developers are olodos. U'r empty upstairs and u know almost nothin about coding. U'r similar 2 ordinary road side fulganizers. God help u al. Imagine i askd 1 of u 2 do a job 4 me. He agreed but said i shd pay 50% upfront which i dint mind. Problem was, dis guy has no contact info (xcpt his fone & email) and he wantd me 2 pay cash @ mr biggs on a public holiday. What if i nd u 2 correct a part of d web app dat i dont lyk? (i askd him). He said av i nt seen his website? If i like his site, i wud lyk wateva he wil do. Idiot! What if he bails? (i askd myself), my 50k is gone wit d wind, just lyk dat! Wel, i dint gv him d free lunch. Haha. & after tryn odas (even wit a/c nos), they cudnt even get it done ryt. Wel, u al shd either work as a unit, or push d best 1s 4ward, or stop calin urself developers cos u S.uc.k!
Re: Why Most Web Developers Fail by spikesC(m): 9:53pm On Jun 13, 2012
Michky: Most Nigerian developers fail because they are greedy cheap ppl who, like housin agents, want to rip you off at the slightest opportunity. Many of you should have either made it big from referals or patnershp but the 5naira consultation fees and inconsiderate hyper-billin of clients have destroyd most of you. There r many nigerians out there wit gr8 ideas but no funds dat you could work wit and share the spoils but yall r lazy hyennas who wud keep blamin everythin on others.*hiss* I av nt even mentiond d fact that many nigerian developers are olodos. U'r empty upstairs and u know almost nothin about coding. U'r similar 2 ordinary road side fulganizers. God help u al. Imagine i askd 1 of u 2 do a job 4 me. He agreed but said i shd pay 50% upfront which i dint mind. Problem was, dis guy has no contact info (xcpt his fone & email) and he wantd me 2 pay cash @ mr biggs on a public holiday. What if i nd u 2 correct a part of d web app dat i dont lyk? (i askd him). He said av i nt seen his website? If i like his site, i wud lyk wateva he wil do. Idiot! What if he bails? (i askd myself), my 50k is gone wit d wind, just lyk dat! Wel, i dint gv him d free lunch. Haha. & after tryn odas (even wit a/c nos), they cudnt even get it done ryt. Wel, u al shd either work as a unit, or push d best 1s 4ward, or stop calin urself developers cos u S.uc.k!

I laugh in swahili... 50 percent ni, bros, i dey collect 70 percent upfront before i even open ma fireworks for a mock up.
Your use of the phrase most nigerian developers is an exageration. Do you know how many Nigerian developers we have, how many of them did you discuss the job with, 5,10 or lets just say 20. Well am sorry for your plight but most Nigerian developers know what they are doing, they are just not noticed.
The guy that said you should pay in mr biggs might be a scammer but that doesn't mean every Nigerian developer must have an office. Infact most Nigerian developers are freelancers
Re: Why Most Web Developers Fail by doncigalo: 11:25pm On Jun 13, 2012
@spike C I take it that you're part of those developers that know what they are doing, right ? Your a joke and a disgrace if you consider yourself a developer/designer of any sorts.

You said :
spikes C:
I laugh in swahili... 50 percent ni, bros, i dey collect 70 percent upfront before i even open ma fireworks for a mock up.

Im laughing in wugubantini, look at your websites and their logos !! Did you use MSWORD to design them ? Do you even know how to use or what fireworks is ?

Your websites are so poorly designed; no overall design concept, no colour scheme, your menus are terrible, you lack any form of design consistency, your incapable of producing your own graphics as you rely on free icons, you text layout is terrible (ever heard of left/right/justify alignment), your command of English is atrocious. What is worrisome is that you actually think you've built something. You need to wake up and stop deluding yourself.

I can say that you are a perfect example of the title of this post; WHY MOST NIGERIAN WEB DEVELOPERS FAIL.

You should change your slogan from "We give you wings to your dream" to "We give you wings to your doom" because if anyone should engage your services it will only lead to their failure!

@Michky Your a hundred percent correct. However concerning your app, could you start a new thread and lets see what the one percent of us that know what we are doing can come up for you.

1 Like

Re: Why Most Web Developers Fail by spikesC(m): 12:18am On Jun 14, 2012
doncigalo: @spike C I take it that you're part of those developers that know what they are doing, right ? Your a joke and a disgrace if you consider yourself a developer/designer of any sorts.

Im laughing in wugubantini, look at your websites and their logos !! Did you use MSWORD to design them ? Do you even know how to use or what fireworks is ?

Your websites are so poorly designed; no overall design concept, no colour scheme, your menus are terrible, you lack any form of design consistency, your incapable of producing your own graphics as you rely on free icons, you text layout is terrible (ever heard of left/right/justify alignment), your command of English is atrocious. What is worrisome is that you actually think you've built something. You need to wake up and stop deluding yourself.

I can say that you are a perfect example of the title of this post; WHY MOST NIGERIAN WEB DEVELOPERS FAIL.

You should change your slogan from "We give you wings to your dream" to "We give you wings to your doom" because if anyone should engage your services it will only lead to their failure!

@Michky Your a hundred percent correct. However concerning your app, could you start a new thread and lets see what the one percent of us that know what we are doing can come up for you.

What can i say... Just a few.
I like your kind because they give us courage in pushing forward what we're doing. Maybe its good to read the whole thread before posting your crappyness. Meanwhile, i have nothing to explain to you because as it is, you're not in a position to take my explanation or how you might put it, an excuse.
And yes, i do remember you, the guy that lives on trouble(remember *dhtml's thread)...you see, one thing you should know is that, as you're not a web developer, u just don't understand what a web developer has on his mind cos plainly, you don't know us nor do you know the real job.
Thanks for pointing out a few things, will look into it in ma free time but please, u really don't know web designing nor usability cos u didn't even find the flaws in that page...never tutor me again.

Talking about english...you lack in that unmeasurably. Where you couldn't even copy and paste what you see. But you can have an excuse, afterall english is not your first language, right?
Re: Why Most Web Developers Fail by Nobody: 12:41am On Jun 14, 2012
Re: Why Most Web Developers Fail by Nobody: 8:33am On Jun 14, 2012
doncigalo: @spike C I take it that you're part of those developers that know what they are doing, right ? Your a joke and a disgrace if you consider yourself a developer/designer of any sorts.

You said :

Bros, why you finish this guy like this now? grin grin I am laughing in Efik. grin
Re: Why Most Web Developers Fail by doncigalo: 8:54am On Jun 14, 2012
@spike c
spikes C:
....as you're not a web developer, u just don't understand what a web developer has on his mind cos plainly, you don't know us nor do you know the real job.
.........u really don't know web designing nor usability cos u didn't even find the flaws in that page...never tutor me again....

lol...you clearly dont know who your talking to, but I will clear this misconception of yours. This is me: www.plus36.com.ng, I have also uploaded a document for you and others to read concerning usability/Human Computer Interaction, it is a must read for any web/app developer: http://www.plus36.com.ng/apple.pdf
Re: Why Most Web Developers Fail by Nobody: 10:05am On Jun 14, 2012
doncigalo: @spike c

lol...you clearly dont know who your talking to, but I will clear this misconception of yours. This is me: www.plus36.com.ng, I have also uploaded a document for you and others to read concerning usability/Human Computer Interaction, it is a must read for any web/app developer: http://www.plus36.com.ng/apple.pdf

Superb job bro.
Re: Why Most Web Developers Fail by doncigalo: 4:40pm On Jun 14, 2012
@cryptic Thanks bro, Im still learning though smiley
Re: Why Most Web Developers Fail by dansmog(m): 1:24am On Jul 01, 2012
Why must web developr fails;
1. Listening to the so called experts of web development and programming in nairaland, because all they do is argue.

2. They try to do everything by themselves; graphics design, logo creation, the coding, implementation, testing, color combinations, and even bringing and working on ideas only by theirselves.

3. Sticking to one style of developing and designing
this i will give for now!

Why nairaland so called experts cant help most of the time.

1. They dont answer quesrtions but throw back faults, and other fustrating issue at the op(s).
(maybe good sometimes, the faults)

2. They complain that no moving forward but they still would'nt help issues.

3. Most of the comments here are still saying the same thing, why dont you all put an idea on the table and work on it, instead of bringing in history of kasuwa, dealday, paypal and "coycats" jargon.

That is why it is called ICT information communication technology, your information or idea bring it lets communicate and create a better thing with the technology.

And this is why i like codeproject.com, they try and help , with new articles, ideas, help links, new free scripts, and how to go about some things.

Am not to new to web development, cos i have learnt html 4 and 5, css2 and 3, learning javascript and jquery. But very soon you will see my works in; website development, apps development and other things. Am also leaarning c language and a few python. Dont worry i have a good time table!.... Want to help web developers and programmers? Then help by helping them not your site looks like crap or dealdey owns konga.com
Re: Why Most Web Developers Fail by guru01(m): 1:43pm On Aug 23, 2012
muffins99: I think your website is ok but though I'm not usually one to critisize, please op, next time follow your own advice. Please ensure your content is Nigerian as well. Why use non-nigerian pictures and icons when you say the site is Nigerian? Don't we have models and good photographers any more? Please update your site!
Thank i will update as said, when the site was built, there was no fund to pay photographers for pictures or models.
Re: Why Most Web Developers Fail by guru01(m): 1:44pm On Aug 23, 2012
sheyie2007: why most developers fail? Nigerians or ?
Yes Nigeria.
Re: Why Most Web Developers Fail by guru01(m): 1:47pm On Aug 23, 2012
Sky-walker:
I really hate websites designed mainly for Nigerians and you see Non-Nigerian images scattered all over the front page. Is that to say we are not photogenic or what? i have see how the entertainment industry in Nigerian has grown and lots of good quality pictures are taken.Is it that most websites developers cant afford good quality cameras or they feel putting non-blacks on a nigerian website will sell more? Some even take pictures with low quality cameras and use high quality colours for background.
I just viewed the poster website and its obvious he took those pictures online from somewhere, tried enlarging the picture more than its usual size.I see most websites like this.The pictures are not blending well with the background colour. its does not speak well if you cant use images that relates with Nigeria on websites.
guru01:
Thank i will update as said, when the site was built, there was no fund to pay photographers for pictures or models.
I will update the website soon.
Thanks.
Re: Why Most Web Developers Fail by guru01(m): 1:49pm On Aug 23, 2012
olyivy: That site is almost crappy.

Thanks.
Re: Why Most Web Developers Fail by guru01(m): 1:51pm On Aug 23, 2012
hotwax:

Do you expect me to go and create a page for calabash just because I am from Africa?

10 years after Facebook became popular, GooglePlus was created and its becoming more popular than facebook.

Is facebook meant to be only social apps out there? Myspace was there before facebook. Facebook came and over shadow myspace. Are you saying myspace only has license to build social Apps.

I am working on a Social/Cloud OS. Does it mean since there is microsoft cloud, I should not try and contribute my own quota to cloud computing world?

You have not addressed Nigerian developers problem.

1. Poverty/pain of bootstrapping a new business
2. Government attitude/support towards creativity/Government protection of intellectual properties.
3. Poor economy and currency Issue
4. Curroption/yahoo yahoo guys. Nobody trust a Nigerian on the Internet
5. Many more...

Nice one man.
Re: Why Most Web Developers Fail by guru01(m): 1:59pm On Aug 23, 2012
@cryptic Thanks for sharing.
Re: Why Most Web Developers Fail by guru01(m): 2:01pm On Aug 23, 2012
cryptic:

And show us a dynamic web application and not some static website. And tell us the languages that run the application. Also, let us know about the backend of the web application and if possible, give us a Backend URL login page.
I thought about build a CMS, but i also think of joining forces with joomla development team and do the best i can for we all.
Re: Why Most Web Developers Fail by guru01(m): 2:12pm On Aug 23, 2012
Morrelinko: @guru. "Why Web developers fail" (or probably you wanted naming it "why nigerian web developers fail"wink?

Let me also point out one big problem amongst nigerian developers.

For example, if i should come asking you to join me so we can work together to create a web application that'll change nigeria. What will be the first thing in your mind?

"Hmmmm! Who will take the credit?" or "I don't like partnership. It doesn't end well."

And also, i do not fully support your idea on the fact that we like creating apps that already exists as being a factor that makes nigerian web developers fail.
You may want to justify that fact.

Just look at the 1st reply of this thread. Saying that your site is crap. That is another problem we have. Do i really need to go into this?

I am not like the rest, if you have something cool to work on am available.
Re: Why Most Web Developers Fail by guru01(m): 2:14pm On Aug 23, 2012
lordZOUGA: a blind man leading a blind man crossing a road is worse than three blind people crossing that same road separately. what the O.P did was wrong, he is not fit to be advising people
I don't need to be fit to give advise. Advice doesn't come from fitness its wisdom.
You that is fit, why havn't you said something about it.
Re: Why Most Web Developers Fail by guru01(m): 2:33pm On Aug 23, 2012
doncigalo:
This is me: www.plus36.com.ng, I have also uploaded a document for you and others to read concerning usability/Human Computer Interaction, it is a must read for any web/app developer: http://www.plus36.com.ng/apple.pdf

Nice website @doncigalo
I stay around 4th Citec.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Hire Good Programmers In Nigeria (an Experience Based Article) / Do Nigerian Banks Have An Api To Their Database. / Converting Picture To Byte Array(blob) And Back To Picture

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.