Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,174 members, 7,953,641 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 09:35 PM

Nairaland Frontpage Suggestion - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Nairaland Frontpage Suggestion (1491 Views)

Nairaland Frontpage Script For Sale! / Did You Make Nairaland Frontpage In 2012? / My Nairaland Frontpage "Mod" For SMF (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nairaland Frontpage Suggestion by chrishenzo: 10:57am On Jun 14, 2012
Suggestion to Seun and His Mentors

I think it would be nice if you give your users the opportunity to decide threads that should appear on the front page just like "Delicious, Twitter,Stumble, etc" does.A thread with great amount of "Likes" should appear on the front page. You can set it to update every 3 days, or one week depending on your choice.

You can also set it that each of the category have equal opportunity. For example since most of the users here visit politics, followed by romance, business, web,etc, you can give your popular category like politics 3 front page slot, or divide the slots for each category.

Sometimes some threads that make it to the front page don't always make meaning and users do complain about it

4 Likes

Re: Nairaland Frontpage Suggestion by Afam4eva(m): 11:35am On Jun 14, 2012
I share your suggestion but you have to understand that Nairaland is not a democracy. It's a totalitarian run website that shoots anybody that tries to democratize it. Even when elections are allowed, it is rigged. Nairaland is Nigeria and Nigeria is Nairaland.

3 Likes

Re: Nairaland Frontpage Suggestion by bakenda(m): 11:46am On Jun 14, 2012
Good idea, just like Digg.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Frontpage Suggestion by Peterson1993(m): 12:54pm On Jun 14, 2012
Nairaland front page is not bad sha and sometimes boring. But check the name "naira" which gat to do with Nigeria. And it truely reflects to the concept. Most of the articles placed on the front page are truely nigeria related.. The major fact is that, everyone cant be satisfied at the same time. Some may like it that way while others dislike. The only problem which am having with the front page is, sometimes in an attempt to click and enter a particular thread, I get redirected to travel section. I dont know if am the only one experiencing that
Re: Nairaland Frontpage Suggestion by mrperfect(m): 2:32pm On Jun 14, 2012
I think your thread should make front page.
Re: Nairaland Frontpage Suggestion by william5: 3:00pm On Jun 14, 2012
That concept won't work. The charm of Nairaland is not knowing what u'll see on the frontpage, b*tch*ng about useless articles being put on the frontpage, swearing for m_ds ( u have to blame somebody ) and more. The Digg concept worked way back then, but seriously, sites that used digg then don't anymore.

Vive le Nairaland!

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Frontpage Suggestion by nairawall: 3:13pm On Jun 14, 2012
If you use a computer algorithm or logic to post topics to the Nairaland home page will cause a lot of not too good topics making it to the index page. People will be able to doctor the pattern and get their threads to be featured.

These are the logic used in ranking topics:

1.) Most viewed
2.) Most commented
3.) Most liked

All these metrics can easily be forced. I can refreshed my topic several times to have a large view count, or create several accounts to make a lot of comments or likes.

What NL needs is a way to marry both (Human and Algorithm).

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Frontpage Suggestion by chrishenzo: 3:34pm On Jun 14, 2012
afam4eva: I share your suggestion but you have to understand that Nairaland is not a democracy. It's a totalitarian run website that shoots anybody that tries to democratize it. Even when elections are allowed, it is rigged. Nairaland is Nigeria and Nigeria is Nairaland.

Doesn't it mean that Seun and His Workers do not not practice what they preach? I thought the average Nigeria believes in democracy.

nairawall: If you use a computer algorithm or logic to post topics to the Nairaland home page will cause a lot of not too good topics making it to the index page. People will be able to doctor the pattern and get their threads to be featured.

These are the logic used in ranking topics:

1.) Most viewed
2.) Most commented
3.) Most liked

All these metrics can easily be forced. I can refreshed my topic several times to have a large view count, or create several accounts to make a lot of comments or likes.

What NL needs is a way to marry both (Human and Algorithm).

Refreshing you page cannot increase the view count because your view will be monitored by your username, ip,browser used,time of visit, and most important your computer SERIAL NUMBER.

Regarding the most commented, it can easily be prevented. All it takes is to avoid counting you as the commenter if you are the started of the post. And also the commented won't be limited to some number of comments

As the most liked, simply count the number of users per like. The user cannot be allowed to double like the same thread

will.i.am:
That concept won't work. The charm of Nairaland is not knowing what u'll see on the frontpage, b*tch*ng about useless articles being put on the frontpage, swearing for m_ds ( u have to blame somebody ) and more. The Digg concept worked way back then, but seriously, sites that used digg then don't anymore.
Vive le Nairaland!

Don't tell me that you enjoy the swearing. I know it get some people's day rolling but swearing and cursing can leave some people unhappy.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Frontpage Suggestion by william5: 6:04pm On Jun 14, 2012
chrishenzo:

Doesn't it mean that Seun and His Workers do not not practice what they preach? I thought the average Nigeria believes in democracy.

Refreshing you page cannot increase the view count because your view will be monitored by your username, ip,browser used,time of visit, and most important your computer SERIAL NUMBER.

Regarding the most commented, it can easily be prevented. All it takes is to avoid counting you as the commenter if you are the started of the post. And also the commented won't be limited to some number of comments

As the most liked, simply count the number of users per like. The user cannot be allowed to double like the same thread

Don't tell me that you enjoy the swearing. I know it get some people's day rolling but swearing and cursing can leave some people unhappy.

Not that i love the swearing, but these are some of the things that make Nairaland special. People getting banned,then popping up with a new username, begging to be unbanned, etc.
Re: Nairaland Frontpage Suggestion by kay9(m): 9:42am On Jun 20, 2012
Nice suggestion. But sadly u've forgotten something VERY crucial: this is no longer Nairaland; it is now MUKINAland.
Re: Nairaland Frontpage Suggestion by Tgirl4real(f): 11:45am On Jun 20, 2012
kay9: Nice suggestion. But sadly u've forgotten something VERY crucial: this is no longer Nairaland; it is now MUKINAland.

Haba! lipsrsealed undecided
Re: Nairaland Frontpage Suggestion by kay9(m): 8:52am On Jun 21, 2012
^^ But its true na! angry Check the topics on the frontpage. Seun's busy promoting some new mobile nigerian forum he recently created, he's abandoned nairaland to mukina.
Re: Nairaland Frontpage Suggestion by Tgirl4real(f): 9:03am On Jun 21, 2012
Which wan? Pls give me d link abeg tongue
Re: Nairaland Frontpage Suggestion by henryrony: 4:13pm On Nov 18, 2012
Get all need to make a good income online...visit:
http://www.hicashlink..com
To your Success...

(1) (Reply)

Need Help HTML+CSS+XML / Need Adsense? We Post For You, We Apply, We Get Approval, You Pay. / Adsense With 18$ With 40k Facebook Group For Sell- Cheap Prices

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.