Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,211 members, 7,818,714 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:37 PM

Moving To South Africa From The United States - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Moving To South Africa From The United States (2480 Views)

My Journey Across West Africa...from A Ghanaian Traveler / Comparison Btw Cost Of Living In The United State And Nigeria. / 10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Moving To South Africa From The United States by tolutara: 3:41pm On Jun 14, 2012
Hello All,

Was wondering if there are any Nigerian expats living in SA on this forum. We are moving from the states in November and will like to get peoples first hand experiences over there if possible.
Re: Moving To South Africa From The United States by talk2tosep(m): 4:03pm On Jun 14, 2012
grin grin
Re: Moving To South Africa From The United States by talk2tosep(m): 4:04pm On Jun 14, 2012
This isnt joke section bro.
Re: Moving To South Africa From The United States by tolutara: 4:12pm On Jun 14, 2012
lol. what do you mean?. We are excited about our move! we wanted to move to Naija but not ready for that yet so we were about to find an exciting opportunity for us over there. so contribute if you have any first hand experience jor!
Re: Moving To South Africa From The United States by henrychubayo: 4:27pm On Jun 14, 2012
tolutara: Hello All,

Was wondering if there are any Nigerian expats living in SA on this forum. We are moving from the states in November and will like to get peoples first hand experiences over there if possible.

You can get all the informations you need on the internet and other previous post from guys in south africa. However, i can still assist you if you need more info. But one thing i will like you to bear in mind is that south africa is not free from crimes if you think that 9ja is full of crimes

1 Like

Re: Moving To South Africa From The United States by xyloxloto(m): 5:44am On Jun 15, 2012
SMH[b][/b]
Re: Moving To South Africa From The United States by morpheus24: 7:51pm On Jun 15, 2012
@ poster

It really depends on your circumstance. Moving from the states to South Africa is different from if you were initially arriving from Nigeria. For instance if you are both citizens of the US, you should not get so much hassle getting jobs and moving round freely between countries in Africa or the US.

If you have secured a job this is very necessary as compared to the states South african employment rate stands at about 26%. Look for expat blogs to assist with your transition and make sure you locate yourself in safe areas.

Otherwise the country is stunningly beautiful with many places within south africa to travel to including neighbouring countries. The people are relatively friendly and the country is very much geared towards tourism.

Ps. Stay away from unscrupulous Nigerin characters over ther.
Re: Moving To South Africa From The United States by Mafamafa(m): 10:44pm On Jun 16, 2012
You can, there are thriving bussinesses in SA if u know how to go about it, 1st, going to china and dubai to buy stuffs to buy in SA, but be careful of branded stuffs cos they seize them, 2nd- renting apartments and renting it out to pple per rooms, u can display d adverts at shopprite, pick n pay and stuffs, also, u can open a salon and u will make some profit. Selling cars from salvage, fixing them and selling on gumtree and other classified.

SA is a nice place to live, and if u wanna make your choice, I'll suggest PE, Pretoria, limpopo or durban..... But u need to know so well before going and hve enuf info, money and thick skin. I stayed in SA for years and relocated to the states for better.......
Re: Moving To South Africa From The United States by tolutara: 7:22pm On Jun 17, 2012
Thanks everyone for ur imput. It is greatly appreciated. Yes we are US citizens, and we have owned and operated our own Pc center in the states fir the last 6 years but we are ready to leave the US as we would live to introduce our young children to Africa. As stated we are not ready for Naija but we will be expanding our business to SA which the hope of capturing a new market.

We have chose Petroria as our city and doing a lit of research ofcourse. Any more tips from expats will be nice. Thanks again.
Re: Moving To South Africa From The United States by ibrak200: 9:22pm On Jun 17, 2012
Please if i want to recieve a letter of invitation from a friend in south africa, where is he going to send it to ?
Please i need your help
Re: Moving To South Africa From The United States by henrychubayo: 6:37am On Jun 18, 2012
ibrak200: Please if i want to recieve a letter of invitation from a friend in south africa, where is he going to send it to ?
Please i need your help

Its simple. Ask him to send it to u and not the embassy. Ask him to certify his bio page of his passport and current permit at the police station here in SA and send it to you.
Re: Moving To South Africa From The United States by henrychubayo: 7:06am On Jun 18, 2012
tolutara: Thanks everyone for ur imput. It is greatly appreciated. Yes we are US citizens, and we have owned and operated our own Pc center in the states fir the last 6 years but we are ready to leave the US as we would live to introduce our young children to Africa. As stated we are not ready for Naija but we will be expanding our business to SA which the hope of capturing a new market.

We have chose Petroria as our city and doing a lit of research ofcourse. Any more tips from expats will be nice. Thanks again.

If i may suggest, if you aim to establish the business and make the profit, i think that 9ja can give you that profit you need better than SA. Since i have been here in SA, I have not seen much of that business here than 9ja. However, you can still make it here depending on your own dimension. It will be good for us to assist you but any question you have, please ask it here for you will get more info when more than 2 ppl respond than 1. So start by asking a specific question you want to get answers to.
Re: Moving To South Africa From The United States by ibrak200: 9:04am On Jun 18, 2012
Thanks bro.

(1) (Reply)

The Best And Worst Countries To Live And Work 2017 / How Can I Move To Lesotho From Nigeria Legally? / How To Land A Helicopter After Your Pilot Has Been Killed .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.