Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,268 members, 7,815,446 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:34 PM

Cfa Or Phd In Finance. - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Cfa Or Phd In Finance. (4778 Views)

After MSc: Ivy League MBA Or PhD In Nigeria? / What Every CFA Level 1 Candidate Should Know! / CFA Candidates In The House (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cfa Or Phd In Finance. by kunlexdino: 10:09am On Jun 15, 2012
What is the difference between cfa and phd in finance. And which one is better
Re: Cfa Or Phd In Finance. by tanimola22: 10:19am On Jun 15, 2012
kunlexdino: What is the difference between cfa and phd in finance. And which one is better

Let us know the aim of this comparison because these things are not directly comparable. Academic (theoretical and applied) research versus some professional exam, are you kidding!

Are you looking to pursue one of them?

T22.
Re: Cfa Or Phd In Finance. by kunlexdino: 11:38am On Jun 15, 2012
Am just having a discussion with a friend on d issue, though i wish i could be a investment researcher in future, so i dont know if phd is better or i just settle with cfa. However which is harder btw acturial science and finance
Re: Cfa Or Phd In Finance. by tanimola22: 12:46pm On Jun 15, 2012
kunlexdino: Am just having a discussion with a friend on d issue, though i wish i could be a investment researcher in future, so i dont know if phd is better or i just settle with cfa. However which is harder btw acturial science and finance

To be an investment researcher, you don't normally need a PhD. Investment research is a joke near PhD. I have seen both sides of the story, so my views are not biased. In fact I was an investment/equity research analyst (junior) before zooming off to theoretical research. A CFA is more than enough to help you grow as an investment research analyst. At least a fairly good MBA is also great, but only if you have had relevant professional experience. You may also try CIS if you like, but the CFA is always better.

Actuarial science is way ahead of anything in regular finance (exception is math/quant finance). I entered the actuarial examination registration stuff some years ago, in particular in 2007. Normally you will need to take many papers and spend many years to qualify as an actuary. I tell you, the easier way out is finance--may be CFA or the likes.

Hope the above answers your questions.

T22.

1 Like

Re: Cfa Or Phd In Finance. by kunlexdino: 1:19pm On Jun 15, 2012
Thanks for the enlignment and your prompt response. I appreciate it. But i will like to know the capacity a phd holder in any form of finances operate and how superior. Also, what is the main duty of equity investment analyst. Am currently preparing for my sep exam of cis. Ill appreciate your response sir.
Re: Cfa Or Phd In Finance. by tanimola22: 2:18pm On Jun 15, 2012
kunlexdino: Thanks for the enlignment and your prompt response. I appreciate it. But i will like to know the capacity a phd holder in any form of finances operate and how superior. Also, what is the main duty of equity investment analyst. Am currently preparing for my sep exam of cis. Ill appreciate your response sir.

Sir, loool..I am not too far away from you in terms of existence on earth. Unless you yourself are 18 years old.. I am just fortunate to have done a lot in a short amount of time..

A PhD finance holder would be better off staying in the university, lecturing and doing research. To do industry investment research, you don't need a PhD. If you want to do a PhD in finance, good. In fact, I encourage you..However, don't think you will be higher rated than someone with an MSc plus many years of working experience as an investment research analyst. So, in essence, a PhD holder is trained to do research. Investment research, on the other hand, is so trivial that it will make a PhD holder run crazy because of boredom.

The main duty of an equity research analyst is to cover the stocks of various companies listed on the NSE ( I guess you are in naija) and write research reports on them. These reports require analysis, valuation and interpretation, but these skills are not too high level. Even an OND guy, if trained for some time, can easily do these things very well. An equity research analyst also gets interviewed by financial journalist to discuss the future of the capital market. You can get more on the internet.

If you need a PhD that is very useful in the world of finance, then pursue a PhD in quant finance or financial engineering. Don't try this if your background in math/computer science is weak.

T22.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Cfa Or Phd In Finance. by kunlexdino: 3:16pm On Jun 15, 2012
Tanx. I understand better. Quite informative. Nice one. Keep up. However, do we have self employed equity analyst in nija. Those working personally only with little or no working experience in an industry. Is it possible to make income dis way?

(1) (Reply)

Female Marketer Vs Her Client / Primavera(P6) Training For Project Managers And Planners / 4 Bullets For Effective Monetization Of Your Talent Career

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.