Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,192 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:13 AM

Drawing Inspiration From Nwankwo Kano (a.k.a Papilo) - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Drawing Inspiration From Nwankwo Kano (a.k.a Papilo) (571 Views)

Amara & Kanu Nwankwo With Thierry Henry (Photo) / When Will Dwayne Johnson (a.k.a The Rock) Stop Buttoning His Sleeves? (photo) / Kanu Nwankwo's Son Flaunts His Father's Ferrari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Drawing Inspiration From Nwankwo Kano (a.k.a Papilo) by acaforreal(m): 2:07pm On Jun 18, 2012
He is another world-class sportsman of our time. Right from his youth, he has been a great footballer that everybody, male and female, young and old admires so much. He is the second most decorated African footballer ever after Samuel Etoo’ Fils of Cameroon with over 10 awards in his kitty. From winning the under 17 FIFA World Cup in 1993 to winning the UEFA Champions league and the Dutch league titles with Ajax Amsterdam of Holland, to winning the football gold at Atlanta ’96 Olympics captaining the Nigerian Dream Team as the first African side to do so and famously scoring two late goals in the semi final against powerhouse Brazil. And the big one is becoming the African Footballer of the year for two consecutive times.

But at the peak of his career, came the big blow. Not long after joining Italian giant, Internazionale FC from Ajax following the Atlanta ’96 feat, he was diagnosed with a serious heart defeat which doctors in Milan claimed would not allow him to play football again and was advised to give up football.

But Kanu saw the situation differently. He was determined not only to survive but to play football again. Hear him “it was a big shock when the doctor said that I would not play again. But I was determined never to give up. I only need to work hard to achieve my dream. Through this, I learnt that you can overcome life challenges; you just need to think deep and believe in one thing: yourself – it’s in you”.

He became determined and resolute to fight the battle of his life. After almost a two year battle, came victory. To the amazement of doctors in Milan, Papilo played again. Not only did he play again, he won further laurels with Arsenal FC of England winning the double in 2002, an FA Cup in 2003 and the league in 2004. The latest is the FA Cup with Portsmouth FC in 2008. Today, Nwankwo Kanu is still a powerful force and icon in world football.

Even the situation that almost shattered his dream has been turned to a stepping-stone. Through the Kanu Heart Foundation that he set up from the experience, over 300 children all over Africa have been rescued from the jaw of death. They have been treated for various heart-related diseases that could have claimed their live. Learn more @ http://www.livethelifeofyourdream.com
Re: Drawing Inspiration From Nwankwo Kano (a.k.a Papilo) by tegaPofficial: 12:04am On Jun 21, 2012
Y'all shld Join Leggout..its a trending social network for club fans. www.leggout.com

(1) (Reply)

Who Are You Tipping For Euro 2012 Cup Glory? / Arsenal Fc Cancels Her Trip To Nigeria / Kanu Could Make Pompey Bankrupt.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.