Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,472 members, 7,830,377 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:39 PM

10,000 Hour Rule. - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / 10,000 Hour Rule. (1049 Views)

Inspirational Quote Of The Hour (6) / Inspirational Quote Of The Hour (2) / The 24-hour Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

10,000 Hour Rule. by Raymagnate(m): 2:05am On Jun 19, 2012
I first of all heard about the 10,000 hours rule in one of my mid-week service at House of Praise (HOP). I can still remember the topic vividly well – Discovering Your Talent code. It was really a short message though, but this topic really strike me when the speaker stressed on the significant of 10,000 hours. I promise myself to make a research on it. I have gone to the point of downloading Malcolm Gladwell book outliers, because I personally wants to read the whole chapter on 10,000 hour rule.
At a certain point in my life I discovered that many of the celebrities have shot the 10,000 hours in their career before they could be renowned. However, not everyone agrees with the 10,000-hour theory. David Hambrick of Michigan State University and Elizabeth Meinz of Southern Illinois University, writing in the New York Times, cite findings from Vanderbilt University researchers who conclude that intellect or in-born talent, not brute-force practice, makes overachievers what they are.

“Reseachers have settled on what they believe is the magic number for true expertise: ten thousand hours.”
Malcolm Gladwell

On his post – Beatles, Cody, King & 10,000 Hours, Scott W Smith has this to say.

The second chapter of Malcolm Gladwell’s book Outliers is called The 10,000-Hour Rule. Every time you read about a first time screenwriter selling a script for six figures it would be good practice to read that chapter. Chances are pretty good that that screenwriter is one of those overnight successes that took ten years.

Gladwell uses the Beatles as an example of a the 10,000-hour rule. While the talented group had been playing in their hometown of Liverpool their stage time was limited to an hour playing their best numbers. But according to John Lennon that would change when they began playing in small clubs in Germany. “In Hamburg, we had to play for eight hours, so we really had to find a new way of playing.”

It is estimated that before the Beatles hit the scene big in 1964 they had performed an estimated 1,200 times. Gladwell writes, “Do you know how extraordinary that is? Most bands today don’t perform twelve hundred times in their entire careers.”

“The emerging picture…is that ten thousand hours of practice is required to achieve the level of mastery associated with being a world-class expert—in anything. In study after study, of composers, basketball players, fiction writers, ice skaters, concert pianists, chess players, master criminals, and what have you, this number comes up again and again.”
Daniel Levitin
neurologist
Read more on the site below......

I can still be of help to you by giving you the ebook. Just Email me - naturelnext@yahoo.com
www.rayenter10ment.
Re: 10,000 Hour Rule. by kay9(m): 10:39am On Jun 19, 2012
I bet D'banj didnt do anything for up to 10,000 hours. Hell, i'll go a step further: that Maclaurkin (spelling?) kid from the Problem Child/Home Alone multi-million dollar movie series hadn't even ACTED up to 10,000 hours before being a billionaire.
So, what is it your theory says again?
Re: 10,000 Hour Rule. by Raymagnate(m): 12:50pm On Jun 19, 2012
As for koko master I knw very well, let me correct you. Don't forget he was admitted into Nigerian Millitary sch at d age of 11. While he was there,he was a member of the elite drum coop. Dont also forget that his brother had introduced him to flute b4 he died on a crash at the age of 17. So what are you saying? Mayb u thing he started when he feat. Snoop or when kanye signed him. No bro.
Re: 10,000 Hour Rule. by kay9(m): 1:43pm On Jun 19, 2012
So he played the drum for how many hours? And the flute how many hours? While we are at it, lemme me remind u that u're now implyin that it doesnt necessarily mean the said 10,000hrs must be spent doing what later made the person in question successful and famous.
Put simplier, neither the drum nor the flute made D'banj the success he is today, so why add up the hours he spent on them?
Re: 10,000 Hour Rule. by Raymagnate(m): 2:50pm On Jun 19, 2012
The hours on drum and flute equally made him what he his today,bcoz that was a steppin stone4 him. Remember many of our music producers had spent years playin keyboard,bass guitars and the like in their respective churches b4 they c the necessity to step into studios. Likewise most of the musician started it in quoir. So those years are necessary but the bone of contention is that how long can you stick to it?

(1) (Reply)

Do You Find It Creepy? / Making Money As A Student? / Memoirs Of A Distinct Student

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.