Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,392 members, 7,815,834 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:12 PM

One Big Misconception About Atheists - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / One Big Misconception About Atheists (1079 Views)

One Big Reason You Must Praise God Today. Picture. / How Do You Feel About Atheists / Myths Many Religious People Hold About Atheists, Debunked. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

One Big Misconception About Atheists by Dambudzo: 12:33pm On Jun 19, 2012
There is a big misconception amongst many Africans that atheists believe in the devil. Wrong ! We reject all claims of the supernatural. I know of a parent who told her daughter to stop seeing me because as an atheist l would 'convert' her to the dark world of Satanism.
Re: One Big Misconception About Atheists by Enigma(m): 12:36pm On Jun 19, 2012
There are atheists on this forum who have stated clearly that they believe in juju.

cool
Re: One Big Misconception About Atheists by UyiIredia(m): 12:37pm On Jun 19, 2012
I don't hold that misconception, however, I do believe that atheists are being misled by the Devil. That's different.
Re: One Big Misconception About Atheists by logicboy01: 12:47pm On Jun 19, 2012
Uyi Iredia: I don't hold that misconception, however, I do believe that atheists are being misled by the Devil. That's different.

64% of Japanase clearly say that they dont believe in God. Are they a devil-led country? Does the devil lead Japan?

Please, watch this video and learn the double standards christians use for atheists;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpz8PMcRJSY
Re: One Big Misconception About Atheists by logicboy01: 12:48pm On Jun 19, 2012
Enigma: There are atheists on this forum who have stated clearly that they believe in juju.

cool

That is both contradictory and paradoxically impossible.

Name such "atheists", please.
Re: One Big Misconception About Atheists by Dambudzo: 12:49pm On Jun 19, 2012
Enigma: There are atheists on this forum who have stated clearly that they believe in juju.

cool

Then they aren't really atheists. The very definition of atheist means we reject all claims about the supernatural. Last time l checked juju is supernatural.
Re: One Big Misconception About Atheists by Enigma(m): 12:53pm On Jun 19, 2012
Dambudzo:

Then they aren't really atheists. The very definition of atheist means we reject all claims about the supernatural. Last time l checked juju is supernatural.

Oh yes, they are atheists alright; self-avowed atheists who constantly define themselves as such and constantly rail against religion and its "illogic". wink

cool
Re: One Big Misconception About Atheists by logicboy01: 1:00pm On Jun 19, 2012
Enigma:

Oh yes, they are atheists alright; self-avowed atheists who constantly define themselves as such and constantly rail against religion and its "illogic". wink

cool

name them
Re: One Big Misconception About Atheists by nyameke: 1:02pm On Jun 19, 2012
@atheist I have this Quesrion for you guys.
Is atheism the non believe in God/supernatural or its non existent or both? My understanding is that it is believe in no gods/ God but someone correct me if I'm wrong because you hear different versions of definitions from atheist
Re: One Big Misconception About Atheists by logicboy01: 1:06pm On Jun 19, 2012
nyameke: @atheist I have this Quesrion for you guys.
Is atheism the non believe in God/supernatural or its non existent or both? My understanding is that it is believe in no gods/ God but someone correct me if I'm wrong because you hear different versions of definitions from atheist

Atheism is the disbelief in God. There is no evidence of God.

If there was evidence of the supernatural, then therefore God is a strong possibility. By deduction, an atheist doesnt believe in the supernatural as well.
Re: One Big Misconception About Atheists by Dambudzo: 1:22pm On Jun 19, 2012
Enigma:

cool

Railing against organized religion doesn't make one an atheist. Deep sight is not an atheist, but then again he is not a big fan of organized religion.
Re: One Big Misconception About Atheists by Enigma(m): 1:23pm On Jun 19, 2012
^^^ What about constant self-avowal, self description and self definition as an atheist? smiley

cool
Re: One Big Misconception About Atheists by nyameke: 3:51pm On Jun 19, 2012
logicboy01:

Atheism is the disbelief in God. There is no evidence of God.

If there was evidence of the supernatural, then therefore God is a strong possibility. By deduction, an atheist doesnt believe in the supernatural as well.
ok that's what I thought it was. Now my question.. Ok do you agree that disbelief in something does not make that something nonexistent in the bigger scheme of things?

I understand that to believe in something you need faith and to have faith is to trust. Now is there a disbelief because you guys don't trust God/ supernatural or for the mere fact that there is no evidence
Re: One Big Misconception About Atheists by logicboy01: 4:05pm On Jun 19, 2012
nyameke: ok that's what I thought it was. Now my question.. Ok do you agree that disbelief in something does not make that something nonexistent in the bigger scheme of things?

I understand that to believe in something you need faith and to have faith is to trust. Now is there a disbelief because you guys don't trust God/ supernatural or for the mere fact that there is no evidence

disbelief is not = belief.

You dont believe in Allah. Does that make christianity the belief in the non-existence of Allah/Thor/Ogun/Sango?
Re: One Big Misconception About Atheists by nyameke: 4:32pm On Jun 19, 2012
logicboy01:

disbelief is not = belief.

You dont believe in Allah. Does that make christianity the belief in the non-existence of Allah/Thor/Ogun/Sango?
did you understand my question at all? I don't think you did.

What is your last question got to do with my question? Do you realise your agreeing with the point I'm making?
Re: One Big Misconception About Atheists by logicboy01: 4:39pm On Jun 19, 2012
nyameke: did you understand my question at all? I don't think you did.

What is your last question got to do with my question? Do you realise your agreeing with the point I'm making?

Sorry for the mistake wink

I dont believe in God because there is no evidence for him (or her).
Re: One Big Misconception About Atheists by Jack65: 4:40pm On Jun 19, 2012
nyameke: I understand that to believe in something you need faith and to have faith is to trust. Now is there a disbelief because you guys don't trust God/ supernatural or for the mere fact that there is no evidence

For me its a "Disbelief" because there is no evidence for the existence of God
Re: One Big Misconception About Atheists by nyameke: 4:58pm On Jun 19, 2012
logicboy01:

Sorry for the mistake wink

I dont believe in God because there is no evidence for him (or her).

lol pas de probleme Mon frere..
Ok so there is no evidence as in what? Physical? And what and how do you perceive God to be.
Re: One Big Misconception About Atheists by nyameke: 5:10pm On Jun 19, 2012
Jack65:

For me its a "Disbelief" because there is no evidence for the existence of God
ok what evidence are you looking for and whats your definition of evidence. Will pose same question I asked logicboy " do you agree that disbelief in something does not necessarily make that something nonexistent ?
Re: One Big Misconception About Atheists by Cheers01: 5:37pm On Jun 19, 2012
nyameke: lol pas de probleme Mon frere..
Ok so there is no evidence as in what? Physical? And what and how do you perceive God to be.

Lol....got banned again.

Anyways,there is no physical evidence for God or god.
Re: One Big Misconception About Atheists by nyameke: 5:50pm On Jun 19, 2012
Cheers01:

Lol....got banned again.

Anyways,there is no physical evidence for God or god.
what did you do? Back to my question though,how and what do you perceive him to be? And how would you want him to manifest to you physically..

Also do you agree that you create your own reality and everything is about beliefs including the creation of your reality ?
Re: One Big Misconception About Atheists by Cheers01: 6:42pm On Jun 19, 2012
nyameke: what did you do? Back to my question though,how and what do you perceive him to be? And how would you want him to manifest to you physically..

Also do you agree that you create your own reality and everything is about beliefs including the creation of your reality ?

Easy.

-God could send angels to people and let us take pictures.
-God could let demons show their faces and let priests cast them back to hell.
-God could come on his chariot and advice some of his religious people
Re: One Big Misconception About Atheists by dekung(m): 6:42pm On Jun 19, 2012
nyameke: ok what evidence are you looking for and whats your definition of evidence. Will pose same question I asked logicboy " do you agree that disbelief in something does not necessarily make that something nonexistent ?
Yes, disbelief does not equate non existence and also belief does not bring into existence either. Atheists believe there is no God in the context of the features ascribed to it by religion and most especially the monotheistic religion. These religion paint a picture of an all-knowing, all-powerful, all-present, all-perfect and all-benevolent being who occupies somewhere in the sky. It is believed to have created all things but situations constantly get out of hand and it presses reset button to start all over again. There are so many other lofty attributes and features ascribed to this being that NEVER comes to bear when there is need for those attributes to be tested. So many phenomenon that were credited to be the actions of this being have been debunked by scientific simulations hence the popularity of this being plunges as science makes another breakthru.
I am dekung, and am an agnost
Re: One Big Misconception About Atheists by Enigma(m): 6:46pm On Jun 19, 2012
dekung: . . . Atheists believe there is no God in the context of the features ascribed to it by religion and most especially the monotheistic religion. . . .

Hence, especially in the form of evangelical atheism, it is a belief system, based on faith and, taking into account other things, a religion. smiley

cool
Re: One Big Misconception About Atheists by Cheers01: 6:52pm On Jun 19, 2012
Enigma:

Hence, especially in the form of evangelical atheism, it is a belief system, based on faith and, taking into account other things, a religion. smiley

cool

Where is the atheist faith? faith in what?

Disbelief is not = belief.

A christian doesnt believe in Allah does that make christianity the religion of disbelief in Allah?
Re: One Big Misconception About Atheists by dekung(m): 9:54pm On Jun 19, 2012
that what atheism is about

Re: One Big Misconception About Atheists by dekung(m): 10:30pm On Jun 19, 2012
http://library.duke.edu/rubenstein/scriptorium/papyrus/texts/manuscripts.html
http://www.av1611.org/kjv/kjvhist.html

The above links chronicle how the KJV bible came into being. Its another article that shows the inerrancy Religious texts

Re: One Big Misconception About Atheists by Murphy7h4: 8:30am On Jun 20, 2012
Good point[img]http://www.50centloseweight.com[/img]

(1) (Reply)

A True Life Story... / Church Brands Members With The 666 Mark / Belligerent Atheists. Lets See If These Prophesys Will Confound And Amaze You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.