Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,115 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:29 PM

How Do You Discipline Your Children? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Do You Discipline Your Children? (670 Views)

Could You Discipline Your Son This Way?? / Would You Ask Someone Else To Discipline Your Child For You? / Madlyn Primoff:when Is It Wrong To Discipline Your Children? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do You Discipline Your Children? by shinystar(m): 10:52am On Jun 21, 2012
I have a two-and-half- year son who is really wonderful and amazing. I love him with the whole of my heart and keep praying he comes out better and more successful than me.

But my son is an independent-minded, strong-willed personality. He is also stormy. When angry, he slams the doors and throws objects. Now, my wife and I have never been in these acts. We are Christians and very careful of what we do every time.

For this and also some of his obnoxious acts, I spank my child really hard. Amazingly, he is realising it is wrong and keeps off slowly these days.

So, how is it with your children? How do you pass on positive values and discpline them?
Re: How Do You Discipline Your Children? by Gambrosia: 2:43pm On Jan 22, 2013
But not taking them out. . . if they misbehave!
Ooooooooooooooooh! They can't stand that! grin
No toys or 'perks'!

I use a 'perk' plan approach. . . to make them behave.
Perks are like points. . .the one with the highest good behavior points. . . gets a 'special' reward in cash or kind!
No spanking. . . . kiss

Disciplining toddlers? Impossible!!! All I could shout is STOPPIT! grin
Re: How Do You Discipline Your Children? by damiso(f): 3:06pm On Jan 22, 2013
I have a 3and a half yr old and a 10 month old.My 3 yr old also has a very strong personality and at 3 the things she comes out with and does sometimes amazes me.

Now i think she is begginning to understand consequences but when she was like 2 my major mode of punishment was the naughty chair.She hated that chair and will be a good girl not to go on it.I did and prob will smack on the very rare occurence and believe me the few times i have she could not get over it.

Now she knows some behaviours=repercussion.You dont eat,you go hungry.You are naughty, no going to the park or going out to build snow men.You say naughty words or throw tantrum,mummy is not giving you face(and for now am her information minister and best friend grin)so she cant stand mummy not talking to her.She also lives for praise so always wants to do things that makes mummy and daddy say well done,good girl,am proud of you.

Generally i am trying to stay away from the typical smack and yell all the time(though it seems young kids tend to behave like yelling is the only language).I want to establish the relationship on whose boss in the house.We are and i want it to be as calm and non violent as possible.So far i think its working.As an aside,its for my own sanity and want to avoid my own image of my mum which was' mummy will just shout'.I want to be like my dad no drama but you dare not cross him.Also you know No Is No.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Discipline Your Children? by Nobody: 3:59pm On Jan 22, 2013
My Son is also strong willed. what worked for us is "kneel down, hands up and close your eyes" face the wall. Spanking is for very serious offences like cursing
Re: How Do You Discipline Your Children? by greatgod2012(f): 5:12pm On Jan 22, 2013
Sincerely, there is no one with kids that will probably not experience something like this, except d child is a mumu.

As for me, i adopt various approach, but number one of them all is....."go and sleep in your room"......it works like magic, once they hear that, they instantly become gentle. At another time, especially when they are preparing to go school, i do tell them........"more tantrums there, u are not going to schl by d car, i will arrange for a bike".......they behave well instantly. But, occassionaly, i use "egba tinrin"....like, maybe once in 3-6 months.....for d older kids who are not below 4yrs old.
Parenthood...........e no easy.........
May God help us all.

(1) (Reply)

The Way Of Life Of Many Nigeria Youth / An Excellent Finishing And Etiquette School - British Accented Pronunciation / Top 10 : Signs She'll Make A Good Wife.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.