Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,439 members, 7,819,620 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:15 PM

2.2 Geology Graduates, How Have You Faired. - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 2.2 Geology Graduates, How Have You Faired. (4572 Views)

Advice Needed:a Masters Degree To Aid My 2.2 Or A Life-changing Trip To Italy? / HND Holders Have More Opportunities Than A B.sc 2.2. See Why.. / Why Geology Graduates Are The Most Unemployed In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

2.2 Geology Graduates, How Have You Faired. by emmyflexible: 9:01pm On Jun 22, 2012
am presently a 3ooL undergraduate of ABU, department of geology and i was jus wondering if their is any hope 4 a 2.2 class student in dis present economic degradation.....am presently battling wit a 3.39, nd dont knw if adding a semester is worth my unending quest 4 a 2.1....pls i nid advice as d only tin i tink of is graduation.tanks in anticipation of yr destiny moulding advice. cryam presently a 3ooL undergraduate of ABU, department of geology and i was jus wondering if their is any hope 4 a 2.2 class student in dis present economic degradation.....am presently battling wit a 3.39, nd dont knw if adding a semester is worth my unending quest 4 a 2.1....pls i nid advice as d only tin i tink of is graduation.tanks in anticipation of yr destiny moulding advice.
Re: 2.2 Geology Graduates, How Have You Faired. by yamakuza: 6:02am On Jun 23, 2012
Re: 2.2 Geology Graduates, How Have You Faired. by sweetaquifer(f): 3:43pm On Feb 27, 2013
i equally had a similar problem some 7 years ago....my simple advice is dat you humbly add a semester or even a whole year, cus honestly d rigourosity of the present labour market is clearly not in favour of lower classes of degree....finally read and pray. lastly, do u have a girlfriend? If yes, am sure u know what u should do.
Gud luck

1 Like

Re: 2.2 Geology Graduates, How Have You Faired. by barba: 7:00am On Feb 28, 2013
I had d same GP 3.39(reason 4my comment) in my 300 nd eventually graduated wt d exact same GP. Later went 2 anoda skul 4my MSc nd workd som nt 2gud jobs. Nd 2day am workin in a company dt few of 2 1s wl consider demselvs lucky 2work dia. Keep d hope alive nd wateva coms out make sure u build nd achiev d best wt it

1 Like

Re: 2.2 Geology Graduates, How Have You Faired. by stariobran(f): 3:25pm On Feb 28, 2013
First of all it's 'fared'. Then secondly, you are not yet in final year, struggle to make a 2:1. A 2:2 sucks out here. So struggle.

And if you still come out with a 2:2, all isn't bad. I finished with a 2:2 and I'm doing seismic interpretation with a servicing firm.

But it's easier, with a 2:1.

2 Likes

Re: 2.2 Geology Graduates, How Have You Faired. by majomayo(m): 8:49pm On Feb 28, 2013
Hi, I finished with a 3.40 CGPA from geology. I am presently working in an IT firm but running part-time masters in unilag in exploration geophysics by the side. Its so difficult getting any reasonable job @ all talk more of a geo-related job. If you are certain that you can make d 2.1 if you add an extra semester, I implore u to go ahead. If otherwise, nothing still do u. Its just likely you will have to develop yourself more to get a superb job. Whatever decision u take, it is well bro. Na 9ja we dey and we must make am. Peace...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2.2 Geology Graduates, How Have You Faired. by Syenite(m): 11:46am On Mar 01, 2013
I am a Geologist. Been in the Oil industry for 7yrs now. I've found out that for you to earn any reasonable Geology/Geophysics Job you need at least a 2.1. That aside, your first degree is just a stepping stone. Not all geologists get to practice. You can work anywhere. Not up to 10% of my geology class-mates are practicing geology today. Some are in banks, IT, Telecom, Construction, water resources, ministries etc. My advice is try and make the 2.1 if you can, if you don't make it, it is not the end of the world.

Best of luck.

2 Likes

Re: 2.2 Geology Graduates, How Have You Faired. by ecolime(m): 8:58pm On Mar 01, 2013
I believe you can still make a 2.1 if you can work harder and smarter. Moreover, you are still in 300L. It could be so tough but it's not unachievable. Please and please, if you really wish to practice as an entry level geologist here in Naija with lesser stress and you don't make the 2.1 at the end of your studies, then adding an extra semester won't be a bad idea. Class of result isn't all you need to get your dream job here in Nigeria but its gonna play an essential role in your job search. All the best to you.

1 Like

Re: 2.2 Geology Graduates, How Have You Faired. by dmitroika(m): 11:20am On Mar 02, 2013
what about a 2.2 bBsc in geology fortified with a good masters degree from europe?
Re: 2.2 Geology Graduates, How Have You Faired. by Nobody: 6:35pm On Mar 30, 2013
I am also an undergraduate geologst 4rm unn n smtyns i wonder y its hard 2 mak 1st class in geology especially in my skul? Y
Re: 2.2 Geology Graduates, How Have You Faired. by sasquareT(m): 7:45am On Sep 24, 2015
Emmyflexible did u later graduate with the 2:1 and how fare is the favour market now...were did u now work?

1 Like

Re: 2.2 Geology Graduates, How Have You Faired. by Joephix: 1:21pm On Jan 01, 2019
KEEP ON BELIEVING AND CHASE YOUR DREAM STRIVE TO MAKING 2.1 IF UNABLE JUST GET SOME MASTERS BY YOUR SIDE.

(1) (Reply)

What Kind Of Jobs Are Available For Marine Engr Cadets Of Maritime Academy,oron? / 4 Step To Build Good Freelancers-clients Relationships / Professional Exams For A Sociology Graduate?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.