Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,825 members, 7,828,018 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 09:29 PM

Casting Pearls Before Swine - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Casting Pearls Before Swine (781 Views)

O' Christians Why Do You Consume The Flesh Of The Swine / Can Demons Send SMS? ( For Those Who Have Experience In Casting Out Devils) / Swine Flu: Saudi May Bar Nigerian Pilgrims? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Casting Pearls Before Swine by Fr0sbel: 2:12pm On Jun 24, 2012
Sometimes preachers, elders and other concerned Christians spend too much time on those who do not appreciate the gospel. We are often hesitant to "give up" on someone whom we believe to be a good prospect for the gospel. However, when our Lord sent out the apostles on the limited commission He said, "And whoever will not receive you nor hear you, when you depart from there, shake off the dust under your feet as a testimony against them" (Mark 6:11).

In the Sermon on the Mount Jesus said, "Do not give what is holy to the dogs; nor cast your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you in pieces" (Matt. 7:6).

"The Christian must not be censoriously judicial, but he should be discriminatingly judicious. He must know dogs and swine when he sees them, and must not treat them as priests and kings, the fit objects for the bestowal of holy food and goodly ornaments. Dogs and swine were unclean animals. The former were usually undomesticated and were often fierce. In the East they are still the self-appointed scavengers of the street. The latter were undomesticated among the Jews, and hence are spoken of as wild and liable to attack man. Meats connected with the sacrificial service of the altar were holy. Even unclean men were not permitted to eat of them, much less unclean brutes. What was left after the priests and clean persons had eaten was to be burned with fire (Lev. vi. 24-30; vii. 15-21). To give holy things to dogs was to profane them. We are here forbidden, then, to use any religious office, work or ordinance, in such a manner as to degrade or profane it. Saloons ought not to be opened with prayer, nor ought adulterous marriages to be performed by a man of God. To give pearls to swine is to press the claims of the gospel upon those who despise it until they persecute you for annoying them with it. When such men are known they are to be avoided. Jesus acted on this principle in refusing to answer the Pharisees, and the apostles did the same thing in turning to the Gentiles when their Jewish hearers would begin to contradict and blaspheme." (J. W. McGarvey, The Fourfold Gospel, pp. 263, 264).

How can we tell when it is time to "give up" on someone and turn to other fields? It should be after we have taught, prayed and exercised all longsuffering -- but remember that even the longsuffering of God has limits (cf. 1 Pet. 3:20).

We need to realize that, despite our best efforts, many people will perish "because they did not receive the love of the truth, that they might be saved" (2 Thes. 2:10). Some people simply prefer their own way to the Lord's (Matt. 15:8-15). Other people will simply close their eyes to the truth (Matt. 13:15). Some Christians will fall away and it will be impossible for us to "renew them again to repentance, since they crucify again for themselves the Son of God, and put Him to an open shame" (Heb. 6:6).

The kingdom of God is precious indeed -- our Lord compared it to a treasure hidden in a field and a pearl of great price (Matt. 13:44-46). The Jews in Antioch of Pisidia rejected the gospel and judged themselves "unworthy of everlasting life" -- so Paul turned to the Gentiles (Acts 13:47). When people ask for us to leave them alone we need to respect their wishes and move on. I believe that we degrade the gospel when we take the very best that we have and lay it at the feet of swine!

http://www.padfield.com/1998/pearls.html
Re: Casting Pearls Before Swine by UyiIredia(m): 10:25pm On Jun 24, 2012
A timely message considering the fact that I have been unto atheists for a while now. No matter how hard I try to correwct some very simple notions about life e.g the inanity of neo-Darwinism they don't listen. It's really a case of casting pearls befoere the swine. However, what keeps me going is the fact that there is a slim chance thayt one can at least see reality the way I see it (a manifestation of God whether in the good or the evil as pects). I'm also quite convinced there is hope since Jesus revealed Himself to my father in a dream and this after a lot of debates between my father & his Christian friends & relatives and between himself & myself.
Re: Casting Pearls Before Swine by thehomer: 7:31am On Jun 25, 2012
Uyi Iredia: A timely message considering the fact that I have been unto atheists for a while now. No matter how hard I try to correwct some very simple notions about life e.g the inanity of neo-Darwinism they don't listen. It's really a case of casting pearls befoere the swine. However, what keeps me going is the fact that there is a slim chance thayt one can at least see reality the way I see it (a manifestation of God whether in the good or the evil as pects). I'm also quite convinced there is hope since Jesus revealed Himself to my father in a dream and this after a lot of debates between my father & his Christian friends & relatives and between himself & myself.

Quit whining and provide the necessary evidence.
Re: Casting Pearls Before Swine by thehomer: 7:32am On Jun 25, 2012
Fr0sbel: Sometimes preachers, elders and other concerned Christians spend too much time on those who do not appreciate the gospel. We are often hesitant to "give up" on someone whom we believe to be a good prospect for the gospel. However, when our Lord sent out the apostles on the limited commission He said, "And whoever will not receive you nor hear you, when you depart from there, shake off the dust under your feet as a testimony against them" (Mark 6:11).

In the Sermon on the Mount Jesus said, "Do not give what is holy to the dogs; nor cast your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you in pieces" (Matt. 7:6).

"The Christian must not be censoriously judicial, but he should be discriminatingly judicious. He must know dogs and swine when he sees them, and must not treat them as priests and kings, the fit objects for the bestowal of holy food and goodly ornaments. Dogs and swine were unclean animals. The former were usually undomesticated and were often fierce. In the East they are still the self-appointed scavengers of the street. The latter were undomesticated among the Jews, and hence are spoken of as wild and liable to attack man. Meats connected with the sacrificial service of the altar were holy. Even unclean men were not permitted to eat of them, much less unclean brutes. What was left after the priests and clean persons had eaten was to be burned with fire (Lev. vi. 24-30; vii. 15-21). To give holy things to dogs was to profane them. We are here forbidden, then, to use any religious office, work or ordinance, in such a manner as to degrade or profane it. Saloons ought not to be opened with prayer, nor ought adulterous marriages to be performed by a man of God. To give pearls to swine is to press the claims of the gospel upon those who despise it until they persecute you for annoying them with it. When such men are known they are to be avoided. Jesus acted on this principle in refusing to answer the Pharisees, and the apostles did the same thing in turning to the Gentiles when their Jewish hearers would begin to contradict and blaspheme." (J. W. McGarvey, The Fourfold Gospel, pp. 263, 264).

How can we tell when it is time to "give up" on someone and turn to other fields? It should be after we have taught, prayed and exercised all longsuffering -- but remember that even the longsuffering of God has limits (cf. 1 Pet. 3:20).

We need to realize that, despite our best efforts, many people will perish "because they did not receive the love of the truth, that they might be saved" (2 Thes. 2:10). Some people simply prefer their own way to the Lord's (Matt. 15:8-15). Other people will simply close their eyes to the truth (Matt. 13:15). Some Christians will fall away and it will be impossible for us to "renew them again to repentance, since they crucify again for themselves the Son of God, and put Him to an open shame" (Heb. 6:6).

The kingdom of God is precious indeed -- our Lord compared it to a treasure hidden in a field and a pearl of great price (Matt. 13:44-46). The Jews in Antioch of Pisidia rejected the gospel and judged themselves "unworthy of everlasting life" -- so Paul turned to the Gentiles (Acts 13:47). When people ask for us to leave them alone we need to respect their wishes and move on. I believe that we degrade the gospel when we take the very best that we have and lay it at the feet of swine!

http://www.padfield.com/1998/pearls.html

Have you heard about Calvinism?
Re: Casting Pearls Before Swine by UyiIredia(m): 2:03pm On Jul 02, 2012
thehomer:

Quit whining and provide the necessary evidence.

The 'evidence' is there for all to see. You are alive & you think
Re: Casting Pearls Before Swine by thehomer: 6:46pm On Jul 02, 2012
Uyi Iredia:

The 'evidence' is there for all to see. You are alive & you think

Are you ready to present it?
Re: Casting Pearls Before Swine by cyrexx: 9:21pm On Jul 02, 2012
the true definition of casting pearls before swine is trying to upload some sense into the hard drive of the mentality of religionists, while they close their mind and call you all sorts of names when they ran out of reasonable ideas to support their faith.
Re: Casting Pearls Before Swine by Nobody: 7:12pm On Aug 17, 2012
bump !!
Re: Casting Pearls Before Swine by truthislight: 10:08pm On Aug 17, 2012
frosbel: bump !!

guy,

who or what is the bump?

Re: Casting Pearls Before Swine by thehomer: 2:14pm On Aug 18, 2012
frosbel: bump !!

Have you read up on Calvinism yet?

(1) (Reply)

Christians Will Now Vote For Atheists! #atheist Winning / Pleace Most Read / The World Philosophy Says “if You Can’t Beat Them, Join Them”, But Heaven Philos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.