Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,875 members, 7,821,050 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:25 AM

P-square Sells A Million Copies In 6 Days! - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / P-square Sells A Million Copies In 6 Days! (4274 Views)

Bashorun Gaa And Versus Albums By 9ice Sell 1million Copies In 2 Days / Emimen Sells A Million Copies In 2 Weeks. / P-Square: Peter & Paul Okoye (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

P-square Sells A Million Copies In 6 Days! by tosinadeda: 12:56pm On Nov 29, 2007
Listnd to an interview this afternoon,where they said receivd a cal 4rm there marketer.This guys re really makn it,considering the fact that they sold over 7million copies of there last album!
Re: P-square Sells A Million Copies In 6 Days! by busygirl(f): 3:06pm On Nov 29, 2007
hmmmmm. . . .i guess the pirates had the larger share of the gain wink
Re: P-square Sells A Million Copies In 6 Days! by uchetobi(f): 3:19pm On Nov 29, 2007
unfortunately
Re: P-square Sells A Million Copies In 6 Days! by tosinadeda: 3:23pm On Nov 29, 2007
Fortunately 4 dem,there marketer was the one who sold 6mil,so its confirmd money o
Re: P-square Sells A Million Copies In 6 Days! by Egavlas(m): 3:58pm On Nov 29, 2007
busygirl:

hmmmmm. . . .i guess the pirates had the larger share of the gain wink

busygirl,

Since most of the musicians came up with the marketing strategy of pricing their cds as low as the pirates (N150), there is now no point for someone to go through the stress of buying empty cds and recording just to sell at the same amount the musicians' cds are going for.
And still risk being clamped down and locked up.

What they do now is go to the music labels or the authentic marketers and take the cds at hugely discounted rates and thus manage to sell at the going rates of N150.

Piracy is now shifted to movies and foreign music .
Re: P-square Sells A Million Copies In 6 Days! by sect(m): 4:08pm On Nov 29, 2007
Especially foreign music and movies.
Re: P-square Sells A Million Copies In 6 Days! by smile4kenn(m): 7:16pm On Nov 29, 2007
Psquare sold one million copies, while the pirates sold 5 million copies in 2 days[size=12pt][/size]
Re: P-square Sells A Million Copies In 6 Days! by zigbo(f): 8:35pm On Nov 29, 2007
psquare did nt sell any million copies in 6 days. . .that is almost impossible, even abroad excellent artiste don't usually go platinum in 1 week  shocked
Re: P-square Sells A Million Copies In 6 Days! by tosinadeda: 9:00pm On Nov 29, 2007
Biliv it or not i hrd them say it themselves ok
Re: P-square Sells A Million Copies In 6 Days! by tosinadeda: 9:00pm On Nov 29, 2007
Re: P-square Sells A Million Copies In 6 Days! by youngdigi(m): 9:10pm On Nov 29, 2007
tosinadeda:

who are "them"?? do u know what it means for 1 million people to go out and buy your cd in its first week in america (population of over 300 million)?

nigeria has a population of roughly 150 million, keep in mind that if they say psquare sold platinum, that does not mean 1 million, platinum status is determined by the overall population of the country, for example platinum status in us = 1 million units sold (total population of country is 300 million), platinum status in canada = 100,000 units sold(total population of the country is 30 million), it is determined by the corresponding population of the country, so in nigeriam, platinum status will be roughly 500,000 units

all the same, if this is true story then thats big time stuff for them, so my own question is, how much does it cost them to manufacture a cd in nigeria??, because if these orginal cds are going for =N=150, thats less than how much it takes to manufacture a cd here in the states
Re: P-square Sells A Million Copies In 6 Days! by sect(m): 9:20pm On Nov 29, 2007
Re: P-square Sells A Million Copies In 6 Days! by sect(m): 9:27pm On Nov 29, 2007
Sometimes you guys mistake album release for album sale,what you probably heard was that they released a million copies in six days and thats totally different from selling a million copies in six days but i still dont belive you until you can provide a reliable source,hearsay isn't enough.
Re: P-square Sells A Million Copies In 6 Days! by sect(m): 9:29pm On Nov 29, 2007
Sometimes you guys mistake album release for album sale,what you probably heard was that they released a million copies in six days and thats totally different from selling a million copies in six days but i still dont belive you until you can provide a reliable source,hearsay isn't enough.
Re: P-square Sells A Million Copies In 6 Days! by sect(m): 9:29pm On Nov 29, 2007
Re: P-square Sells A Million Copies In 6 Days! by tosinadeda: 9:49pm On Nov 29, 2007
Imagine o,ure trying to tel me wut i heard!
I posted wut pspuare themselves said on air on a radio station. They said there marketer told them he had sold a million 6days. Youngdigi save ur xplanation,i know wut i hrd.And by d way does seln a million copies mean it got to a million hands?
they also sold out of nigeria,accordn 2 them
Re: P-square Sells A Million Copies In 6 Days! by Egavlas(m): 10:42pm On Nov 29, 2007
young_digi:

who are "them"?? do u know what it means for 1 million people to go out and buy your cd in its first week in america (population of over 300 million)?

nigeria has a population of roughly 150 million, keep in mind that if they say psquare sold platinum, that does not mean 1 million, platinum status is determined by the overall population of the country, for example platinum status in us = 1 million units sold (total population of country is 300 million), platinum status in canada = 100,000 units sold(total population of the country is 30 million), it is determined by the corresponding population of the country, so in nigeriam, platinum status will be roughly 500,000 units

all the same, if this is true story then thats big time stuff for them, so my own question is, how much does it cost them to manufacture a cd in nigeria??, because if these orginal cds are going for =N=150, thats less than how much it takes to manufacture a cd here in the states

young_digi,

You guys shouldnt doubt that story at all.

In naija, records and statistics are daily broken . A lot of things happen here that break the norm.

Like the poster said, its not a must that each cd went to an individual buyer.

Some other smaller marketers, believing that the cd would be a hit, may have bought in large quantities hoping to stock up and do business later.

Secondly, at N150, you will agree that its easy for somone to by 5 cds, one for his car one to be at home another for a friend abroad, etc. grin

Why do you think most of  our naija based musicians are living large? Jeeps everywhere and buying houses.

You asked how much it costs them to manufacture a cd if they sell one at N150?

They don't have to manufacture any discs.

There are companies that import or make plain/empty discs. The Record Labels and marketing companies get the cds from them in bulk. A break down of the cost, most times may come to N15-N20 per empty disc.

Of course the music is theirs and the recording equipment is theirs and the rest, they say, is history.

Please don't doubt this at all. Am not saying its absolutely true but anything is possible in this country.

I also heard that Faze Alone sold 300,000 copies in a month when it was released. And thats a long time ago now.
Re: P-square Sells A Million Copies In 6 Days! by OEPHIUS(m): 11:20pm On Nov 29, 2007
a million copies in six days not true they were bought by marketers and could be returned if they do not make that much sales so too soon to celebrate
Re: P-square Sells A Million Copies In 6 Days! by tosinadeda: 11:30pm On Nov 29, 2007
How possible is dat,returning wut uve bought?
Re: P-square Sells A Million Copies In 6 Days! by OEPHIUS(m): 11:39pm On Nov 29, 2007
if you are a marketer you can and no you do not have to buy them this Alaba boys might be very informal but they kinda have they own marketing stucture
Re: P-square Sells A Million Copies In 6 Days! by tosinadeda: 11:43pm On Nov 29, 2007
But in dis case,there own marketer confirmed the sales
Re: P-square Sells A Million Copies In 6 Days! by OEPHIUS(m): 11:53pm On Nov 29, 2007
the markeer i just a title he is the cheif seller and he distributes to his friends and he calls you and says he boys have taken 5 million copies you think that is the actual sales only for the label to be full with returned cds four months later
Re: P-square Sells A Million Copies In 6 Days! by YourFather: 11:56pm On Nov 29, 2007
The problem on this post like many others is, the ability to use the internet doesn't mean one is sensible.

It cost 75naira to make one cd, hence 1million copies with be, come on, say it with me 75million naira.

So you are saying to me their marketer (igbo boy with sense) will take a gamble of 75million naira on an album that might not sell, hmmm!

How I pray the average person had common sense, this world will just make a little more sense.
Re: P-square Sells A Million Copies In 6 Days! by Egavlas(m): 12:27am On Nov 30, 2007
@YourFather

Make your comments and forget about people having sense on the internet or not.

Yes, some of those marketers actually take a gamble on the cds.

This is their business and they have been in it long enough to know what is good business and whats not.

I know quite a number of them who do this.

Not only in music cds but videos. Some pay producers of home videos up front to be able to market their films.

The trend has been like that. Cause of Record sales by Tuface, Faze, P square, dbanj, etc. They know what is a money maker anytime.
For those above mentioned artists, their is no question of loss for the marketers, unless they turn out a really bad album.

What you forget is that any marketer that takes delivery of millions of naira worth of cds, already has a distribution and sales network that has been working for him.

There is no point getting agitated over this. Let this not degenerate to Unnecessary name calling.
Re: P-square Sells A Million Copies In 6 Days! by YourFather: 12:33am On Nov 30, 2007
@Salvage

Name calling? Just a note worthy observation.

You are Igbo good, So tell me you will pay 75million naira to produce a million copies of album may or may not sell?

The point is simply, you make a batch, sell it and if need be you make more. To sell a million in six days, is saying you had a million colpies in the first day.
Re: P-square Sells A Million Copies In 6 Days! by Egavlas(m): 12:52am On Nov 30, 2007
@YourFather,

Firstly, If you read my first post, I said am not saying the story of 1 million sold in six days is absolutely true. It may be true and it may not be entirely true but the poster said he heard them(PSquare) say it in an interview.

On the other hand, have you considered the fact that the marketers have done this a number of times before and realised that its not a question of if the cds will sell or not but how fast they can sell to reach their target?

If someone realises from experience that a thing works and wants to get it all done the first time, why not?

If he knows for a certainty that the cds will sell, why make batches? Why not make his full quota once and for all and concentrate on the sales and marketing rather than coming back to make batches?
Re: P-square Sells A Million Copies In 6 Days! by youngdigi(m): 1:27am On Nov 30, 2007
@Salvage & tosinedada

i didnt doubt that they sold 1 million copies, i was simply questioning it because like i always say on this forum, i love facts, there is a guy i saw post his myspace page on this forum and said he had sold 1 million copies in nigeria as well, and nobody has heard of him, so my thing here is , psquare got on the radio and said it, lets think about this for a minute, if its true, people are going to talk about it, but guess what?? if its a lie, people will still talk about it, so my point is, just because they said it themselves doesn't mean it is true, it cud be a buzz generator, marketing strategy which is actually working right now, cus it got me, you and everyone here wondering whats in that cd that 1 million people potentially bought,

@YourFather, yes just like everywhere else, i believe the execs and retailers will take the risks of producing/purchasing psquare discs in large quantities, its good business and will potentially benefit them, regardless, there is risk taken in every successful business, so the fact of producing upon request i don't think is good business for the bigname artists in naija when the stakes are high

all the same like i said before its all good for them if this is true, i just prefer seeing this from a reliable source, thats all
Re: P-square Sells A Million Copies In 6 Days! by Egavlas(m): 1:43am On Nov 30, 2007
young_digi

good post.

You are right. It could be a buzz generator and all.

And am happy you understand how the mind of a businessman(the marketers) work.
Re: P-square Sells A Million Copies In 6 Days! by tosinadeda: 6:33am On Nov 30, 2007
Pity there is no proof i can post,it was a live radio show on eko fm
Re: P-square Sells A Million Copies In 6 Days! by jerrymania(m): 8:31am On Nov 30, 2007
tosinadeda:

Pity there is no proof i can post,it was a live radio show on eko fm

even with proofs most peeps would never believe you. ok i believe it's true they said it on eko f.m but as young digi said it can be a lie or truth but still not everyone will belive if this is possible or impossible. As for me its just publicity stunt, you know that kind of psychological shit. Anyway i've learnt much from ur discussions @Yourfather and @Salvage about a bit of naija music bizness. Thanks Guys.
Re: P-square Sells A Million Copies In 6 Days! by YourFather: 10:22am On Nov 30, 2007
The is story is a lie, a well meaning lie to encourage this type of conversation, so on P-Square's path they have done well.

They may sell a million copies eventually, but they didn't do it in 6days. remember that figure 75million naira. Yes, it is usefully to produce in one big batch, no doubt, but there comes to a point where quantity doesn't have a major effect on unit price anymore, e.g. the cost of producing 100k copies of an album will be identical if not the same per unit as the cost of producing 200k copies.

hence, it will only be prudent to produce say 100k copies, sell that and then produce more. there is no marketer in our beloved country Nigeria, that will dip is his hands into his pocket and cough up 75million naira, striaght up. It doesn't just make any business sense to take such risk when its not needed.
Re: P-square Sells A Million Copies In 6 Days! by 9ja4eva: 10:25am On Nov 30, 2007
@ doubters

Possible gan

(1) (2) (Reply)

Eva, Monimo & Kayefi - Under Rated / Modenine - We Dey Vex Lyrics / h2converter.com - Best website convert Youtube to MP3 & MP4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.