Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,618 members, 7,820,186 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:07 AM

Why Do Many, Even Bible Scholars Say God Created "light" First - Is It True? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Many, Even Bible Scholars Say God Created "light" First - Is It True? (3036 Views)

34 Reasons Why The “holy Spirit” Is Not A “person” - Bible Scholars attention ! / Paul Vs. Jesus's Teachings: Is There A Conflict? For serious bible scholars / Bible Scholars Admit To Bible Text Discrepancies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Many, Even Bible Scholars Say God Created "light" First - Is It True? by Goshen360(m): 4:07pm On Jun 27, 2012
In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness [was] upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. And God said, Let there be light: and there was light. Gen. 1:1-3 Kjv

Some even say/believe/teach that a "Gap Theory" existed between Gen.1:1-2 and Gen.1:3-End of Creation. What saith the scriptures in both cases? Is it true that God created the light first and did gap exist between Gen.1:1-2 and Gen.1:3-End of God's creation?
Re: Why Do Many, Even Bible Scholars Say God Created "light" First - Is It True? by Joel3(m): 4:46pm On Jun 27, 2012
Goshen360: In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness [was] upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. And God said, Let there be light: and there was light. Gen. 1:1-3 Kjv

Some even say/believe/teach that a "Gap Theory" existed between Gen.1:1-2 and Gen.1:3-End of Creation. What saith the scriptures in both cases? Is it true that God created the light first and did gap exist between Gen.1:1-2 and Gen.1:3-End of God's creation?

Goshen. In the time live past before the light is not counted. The word day, Begin from Light. That is where it start counting. There was many things that God created before light or sun and moon. There was water, 9 planet, earth, air, the angels of God were living and other things
Re: Why Do Many, Even Bible Scholars Say God Created "light" First - Is It True? by Goshen360(m): 4:46pm On Jun 27, 2012
Una just dey read and no comment.....abi una no dey read/study bible ni? shocked grin
Re: Why Do Many, Even Bible Scholars Say God Created "light" First - Is It True? by Fr0sbel: 4:52pm On Jun 27, 2012
[size=14pt]1 Timothy 1:4 nor to devote themselves to myths and endless genealogies. These promote controversies rather than God's work--which is by faith.[/size]
Re: Why Do Many, Even Bible Scholars Say God Created "light" First - Is It True? by Goshen360(m): 4:55pm On Jun 27, 2012
@ Joel,

I remembered we both dealt with some part of Genesis in the past. If am not mistaken, I think it's part of Gen.1 that we both dealt with then, I can't remember that thread. It was created by you.

First, what do you believe the "light" in Gen. 1:3 to mean/be?

Second, is the "light" in Gen.1:3 the same with light in Gen 1:14-19?

Third, Did God created light in Gen.1:3 FIRST? As in, is it true from what many believed and taught even bible scholars that God created light first?

Four, does gap exist before creation account that is, Gen.1:1-2 and Gen.1:3 - End of creation account. This is what this thread is about to unfold. Your contribution will be appreciated. We LIMIT it to the creation account provided to us, what did God created FIRST and did Gap exist between the creation account?
Re: Why Do Many, Even Bible Scholars Say God Created "light" First - Is It True? by Goshen360(m): 4:58pm On Jun 27, 2012
Fr0sbel: [size=14pt]1 Timothy 1:4 nor to devote themselves to myths and endless genealogies. These promote controversies rather than God's work--which is by faith.[/size]

So what am doing doesn't teach or edify God's people Why are you in a haste to jump to conclusion grin You and I have been studying some stuffs lately right? grin
Re: Why Do Many, Even Bible Scholars Say God Created "light" First - Is It True? by Joel3(m): 5:08pm On Jun 27, 2012
The first light was the Sun in Gen1:3 and the secound lights in Gen 1:14 were stars and moon, To control and rule it seasons.

I told you that creation before first day or Light, cannot be counted. And yes there are alot gap in creation things before Light
Re: Why Do Many, Even Bible Scholars Say God Created "light" First - Is It True? by Fr0sbel: 5:21pm On Jun 27, 2012
Goshen360:

So what am doing doesn't teach or edify God's people Why are you in a haste to jump to conclusion grin You and I have been studying some stuffs lately right? grin

Okay , I guess the caffeine is buzzing my brain grin
Re: Why Do Many, Even Bible Scholars Say God Created "light" First - Is It True? by Goshen360(m): 6:10pm On Jun 27, 2012
Joel.:
The first light was the Sun in Gen1:3 and the secound lights in Gen 1:14 were stars and moon, To control and rule it seasons.

I told you that creation before first day or Light, cannot be counted. And yes there are alot gap in creation things before Light

Okay. You are gonna spend some time explain or bringing up another scriptures to explain that the light in Gen.1:3 is the sun because your statement does not support Gen 1:16:

God made two great lights--the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars.

So how does sun mean light in Gen.1:3 and later two great lightS were made and ALSO the starS......making three.

Also, you need to prove the Gap theory with scriptures also. I will love to read.
Re: Why Do Many, Even Bible Scholars Say God Created "light" First - Is It True? by Goshen360(m): 6:11pm On Jun 27, 2012
Fr0sbel:

Okay , I guess the caffeine is buzzing my brain grin

Don't worry. You are a brother for life, lolz grin
Re: Why Do Many, Even Bible Scholars Say God Created "light" First - Is It True? by Nobody: 6:46pm On Jun 27, 2012
Yes, there is a gap btw Gen 1 n 2. In isaiah or Jeremiah, (i'm nt sure wch nw), d bible says when i created heavens n earth, it wasnt creatd empty or void, so how did d earth alone becm void? D likeable explanatx is dat it was d devil dat brought darknes to d earth.
D light in 1:3 isnt Sun but a personality, dat is why it was capitalised in kjv as Day. D likely explanatx is dat d Day is Jesus or smthx 4rm Him since Jn 1 says in Him was light n d light was d life of men. God was looking 4 a person to perpetuate d light so dat d earth wil nt be void again hence d light as temporary. It was Adam God expected to later stabilise d earth.
Re: Why Do Many, Even Bible Scholars Say God Created "light" First - Is It True? by Goshen360(m): 7:04pm On Jun 27, 2012
^^^

For this is what the LORD says--he who created the heavens, he is God; he who fashioned and made the earth, he founded it; he did not create it to be empty, but formed it to be inhabited--he says: "I am the LORD, and there is no other. Isaiah 45:18 Niv

For thus saith the LORD that created the heavens; God himself that formed the earth and made it; he hath established it, he created it not in vain, he formed it to be inhabited: I am the LORD; and there is none else. Kjv

Is this the verse you meant?
Re: Why Do Many, Even Bible Scholars Say God Created "light" First - Is It True? by Joel3(m): 7:16pm On Jun 27, 2012
rhemaplus: Yes, there is a gap btw Gen 1 n 2. In isaiah or Jeremiah, (i'm nt sure wch nw), d bible says when i created heavens n earth, it wasnt creatd empty or void, so how did d earth alone becm void? D likeable explanatx is dat it was d devil dat brought darknes to d earth.
D light in 1:3 isnt Sun but a personality, dat is why it was capitalised in kjv as Day. D likely explanatx is dat d Day is Jesus or smthx 4rm Him since Jn 1 says in Him was light n d light was d life of men. God was looking 4 a person to perpetuate d light so dat d earth wil nt be void again hence d light as temporary. It was Adam God expected to later stabilise d earth.
u are talking nonesense
Re: Why Do Many, Even Bible Scholars Say God Created "light" First - Is It True? by Goshen360(m): 7:23pm On Jun 27, 2012
rhemaplus:
Yes, there is a gap btw Gen 1 n 2. In isaiah or Jeremiah, (i'm nt sure wch nw), d bible says when i created heavens n earth, it wasnt creatd empty or void, so how did d earth alone becm void?

First, I will wait till you confirm the scripture verse I provided in respect of this Gap theory before you can prove this gap that existed.

rhemaplus:

so how did d earth alone becm void? D likeable explanatx is dat it was d devil dat brought darknes to d earth.

The devil didn't cause the darkness on earth in Gen.1:2. The Bible speaks for himself. You are only saying the "likeable explanation is that it was the devil that brought the darkness to the earth" but you are not very sure. It wasn't the devil my brother. I will show you later from scripture how that darkness came about. We need to use scriptures to prove/answer scriptures. You can stay/follow this thread for answers to all these questions or try search it out by doing a little study.

rhemaplus:

Thnak God you agree that "light" in Gen 1:3 is NOT the sun. However, it is NOT Jesus either because NONE OF ALL THE TRANSLATIONS CAPITALIZED THE "L", it's in lower case, "l". If they capitalized it, it will distort the scriptures because this account is the creation account and Jesus pre-existed the creation account John 1:1. The light used for Jesus personified is with the upper case "L".
Re: Why Do Many, Even Bible Scholars Say God Created "light" First - Is It True? by Goshen360(m): 7:24pm On Jun 27, 2012
Joel.:
u are talking nonesense

grin Take am easy on him please. grin
Re: Why Do Many, Even Bible Scholars Say God Created "light" First - Is It True? by Joel3(m): 7:52pm On Jun 27, 2012
The light is the begin of creation which is the sun and that start the day creation. No sun no date. GDN Gen 1:5 and He name the light Day and the darkness Night evening pass and morning come, that was the first day
Re: Why Do Many, Even Bible Scholars Say God Created "light" First - Is It True? by Goshen360(m): 8:07pm On Jun 27, 2012
^^^
My brother, I agree with you. My main point is: The "light" of Gen.1:3 is WHAT? Sun If not then what is it?

Second, is what did God created first? Is it the "light" of Gen.1:3 or something else before that "light" of Gen.1:3. This one na simple kweshion naw, lolz grin The answer is simple inside the text there. shocked
Re: Why Do Many, Even Bible Scholars Say God Created "light" First - Is It True? by Joel3(m): 2:42am On Jun 28, 2012
I ve told u before Gen 1:3-5 is the sun. Read good news bible for second creation. GEN 1-6. And in science the Sun is the powerful force or gravity that hold and govern the solar system, what is solar system if i may ask u?. Its the enegy force that control all things in universe to funtion in their orbit. The sun is life. Without the sun the planets will be froozen, and the universe will be none and void, which it were before the sun came in. A blind man will know which come first.
Re: Why Do Many, Even Bible Scholars Say God Created "light" First - Is It True? by Goshen360(m): 5:44am On Jun 28, 2012
Joel.:
I ve told u before Gen 1:3-5 is the sun. Read good news bible for second creation. GEN 1-6. And in science the Sun is the powerful force or gravity that hold and govern the solar system, what is solar system if i may ask u?. Its the enegy force that control all things in universe to funtion in their orbit. The sun is life. Without the sun the planets will be froozen, and the universe will be none and void, which it were before the sun came in. A blind me will know which come first.

If you say the light in Gen 1:3 is the SUN, then what are the two great lights God created in Gen 1:16 along with the stars.

God made two great lights--the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars. Gen 1:16.

And why are you not bringing up some scriptures to explain that the light in Gen.1:3 is the SUN because your statement does not support Gen 1:16. And can you quote Gen.1:3,16 from the Good News Bible for us please?
Re: Why Do Many, Even Bible Scholars Say God Created "light" First - Is It True? by Joel3(m): 6:17am On Jun 28, 2012
GDN 1:3 Goshen if i may ask how old are u? U wan't to start another silly argument again, The Sun is the only star that rule or give light to universe. Its the only light that the earth account to. The earth rotate before the sun 24 hours which make it a day. The earth goes around it orbit in cycle 366 days a year. Maybe u are talking of another light and if there is in the scripture, i will stop believe the bible becos even if the earth rotate and no sun it's not a day because its darkness and dateless. Maybe what is confusing u is that when it was initially created is wasn't named sun. It was after the moon and the stars that it was called Sun
Re: Why Do Many, Even Bible Scholars Say God Created "light" First - Is It True? by Goshen360(m): 4:06pm On Jun 28, 2012
Joel.:
GDN 1:3 Goshen if i may ask how old are u? U wan't to start another silly argument again, The Sun is the only star that rule or give light to universe. Its the only light that the earth account to. The earth rotate before the sun 24 hours which make it a day. The earth goes around it orbit in cycle 366 days a year. Maybe u are talking of another light and if there is in the scripture, i will stop believe the bible becos even if the earth rotate and no sun it's not a day because its darkness and dateless. Maybe what is confusing u is that when it was initially created is wasn't named sun. It was after the moon and the stars that it was called Sun

This is one of "our" problem as human being and also "some" Christians like. You think you know something and when you are asked to provide explanations to what you know, you divert by giving "some kind" of polite insult. What has my age got to do with what we are discussing here and you are the one that says the light in Gen.1:3 is the sun BUT THE TEXT DIDN'T SAY THAT. Like one of my brother (Frosbel) said on another thread, this is some of the reason Atheists laugh at us sometimes.

I won't throw polite insult at you in return but all being said, you are just saying science and your knowledge but didn't prove that light in Gen.1:3 is the sun and you said am confused with the fact because it wasn't called sun in Gen.1:3. Well, I thought we could learn scriptures from ourselves and have fellowship but you seems to want to hold on to what you know. That's okay as long as you don't throw a polite insult at another person. I might give an explanation in due time without contradicting the scriptures.
Re: Why Do Many, Even Bible Scholars Say God Created "light" First - Is It True? by Joel3(m): 6:59pm On Jun 28, 2012
GDN. Gen 1:16 Says, then God commanded, lets lights apear in the sky to separate day from night and to show the time when days, years, and religious festivals begin; 15 they will shine in the sky to give light to the earth and it was done, God made the two larger lights, Sun to rule over the day and the moon to rule over the night; he also made the star.
Re: Why Do Many, Even Bible Scholars Say God Created "light" First - Is It True? by Goshen360(m): 9:12pm On Jun 28, 2012
Joel,

Since you didn't "kind" of understand what am saying. I will try to help you out a little bit, maybe you will then be able to explain the light in Gen.1:3 and Gen.1:16. If the text says God MADE Sun, moon and stars in verse 16 and you tell us it was sun in verse 3, does that mean it was created twice of it was omitted in created record.

Now to help you out a little bit, the darkness in Gen.1:2 WHERE DID IT COME FROM BEFORE THE HOVERING OF THE HOLY SPIRIT?
Re: Why Do Many, Even Bible Scholars Say God Created "light" First - Is It True? by Joel3(m): 9:53pm On Jun 28, 2012
Why asking of darkness. Ok let me ask u where did God Come from? The word day is Sun. The bible is that book that contradict. What happen about when peter say Jesus was hang on a tree
Re: Why Do Many, Even Bible Scholars Say God Created "light" First - Is It True? by Goshen360(m): 11:19pm On Jun 28, 2012
Joel.:
Why asking of darkness. Ok let me ask u where did God Come from? The word day is Sun. The bible is that book that contradict. What happen about when peter say Jesus was hang on a tree

You see yourself as you dey dodge simple kweshion and you are still insisting about the sun but the bible itself tells us where that darkness of Gen.1:2 came from and it explains the light in Gen.1:3. You claim to know or have studied about this Genesis and yet you can't tell us where the darkness of Gen.1:2 and light of Gen.1:3 comes from and yet you claim/insulted saying this words:
Joel.:
GDN 1:3 Goshen if i may ask how old are u? U wan't to start another silly argument again,

Well, my day was handful today. When I wake up, God willing from tomorrow, I will give answers to the darkness in Gen.1:2; the light in 1:3 is NOT the sun at that time of Gen.1:3 and it is different from the sun because the sun was created in Gen.1:16. You may ask, how come we have day and light from day one without the light which by your knowledge is from the sun. I thought we were to sharpen ourselves as iron sharpens iron but you are proving otherwise.
Re: Why Do Many, Even Bible Scholars Say God Created "light" First - Is It True? by ATMC(f): 1:51pm On Jun 30, 2012
Bro goshen, how far with d ans?
Re: Why Do Many, Even Bible Scholars Say God Created "light" First - Is It True? by Goshen360(m): 3:55pm On Jul 02, 2012
Okay my sister. I am NOT always available on weekends. You will only notice me active on Nairaland on weekdays. Okay.

I would have love to do an intensive exposition but I guess I don't have much time. I will only say the answers to both questions plus some other useful hints and leave other brethren to search it out or do more studies on it.

1. When we study the text of Genesis and the creation, there are three basic word we MUST understand namely: create, form and make/made. To create is to bring into existence OUT of NOTHING and ONLY God is the subject of create/creation as ONLY God can create. To form/made is to bring into existence from ALREADY existing material(s)/thing(s). With this in mind, we can rightly break down some concept of Genesis and the Creation.

2. The "in the beginning" of Gen 1:1 is NOT the same as the "in the beginning" of John 1:1. Same phrase but different meaning. John 1:1 is dateless past, Gen.1:1 is a dated past. John 1:1 is eternal, Gen 1:1 is earthly as it records the creation of the earth/our present world.

3. Gen 1:2 says: "And the earth was without form, and void". This means the original state the earth was created was "formless" and "void or empty" and the basic general duty of the creative account is for God to give "form" to the earth and also "fill" the emptiness. Basically, day 1-3 are the days God gave "form" to the earth and day 4-6 are days that God "filled" the earth in order to take away the "formless" and "void". Okay. We have to also use our "imagination" when referring to the beginning of creation. Why? Because the was the earth is right now is not the original way it was "first" created. So we need our "imagination" to picture the realm of God's creation in the first original state, probably to understand the text.

3b. Again, Gen 1:2 says: "and darkness [was] upon the face of the deep". Here we see darkness upon the face of the deep. Two quick observation here. What kind of darkness is it and where did it come from and what is the deep? I have read and heard many people say this darkness is as a result of Satan being thrown down to the earth and so on and forth shocked Well, I don't think this is true! Let's allow the Bible to answer for itself. The answer is in the book of Job. Let's not forget the book of Job was also written in the time of Genesis, that before the law. Okay. Job 38:1,4,9 (But we can read from verse 1-10, for smooth understanding. However, my emphasis is on verses 1,4 and 9).

So we see from verse 9 that this darkness came as a result of thick cloud and darkness swaddling the first original state of the earth. This darkness is NOT satan, it is a dark state the earth was first created. Again, we see "upon the face of the deep". Some translations have "face" as "surface". This means the "deep" and "darkness" came together. So what is the deep? It is simple WATER. The deep is the primordial waters that was FIRST created by God which the darkness came with as a result of absence of light. If it is NOT waters, then the next sentence will NOT read: "And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters". Therefore, the water was created first, otherwise, the Spirit will NOT have moved on the face of the waters. To confirm this, lets support with more bible verse.

But they deliberately forget that long ago by God's word the heavens existed and the earth was formed out of water and by water. 2 Peter 3:5 niv.

So what did God created first (e be like say I dey type too long stories as if i wan re-write the creation account,lolz), God created WATER first. No wonder the first miracle of Jesus was also on water. First person to walk on water because He created the water and the creation is not greater than the creator.

4. Gen 1:3 then says, "And God said, Let there be light: and there was light". What light is this? It is NOT and CANNOT be Christ for John 1:1 already told us Christ existed in eternity before the beginning and also, the light is NOT capitalized "l" which means it is NOT Christ. Very simple, since we have a primordial darkness with the water, it important for God as to want to take away this darkness. How did God do that? By "calling light to be or appear". What light is it and where did it come from? This light is from God himself and God is the source of this light and it came by His word, "let there be" for the Bible tells us that God Himself is light, 1 John 1:5 and so is His word, Psalm 119:105. So when God said, let there be light, this light "produced" or "appeared" from God Himself. James 1:17 calls God "father of lights". This is the "light" that is a source to the sun, moon and stars. God then use this light to make what He called day and night. Apostle Paul puts it clearer, comparing our "heart" to the "dark deep state of the original earth". Look at this:

For God, who said, "Let light shine out of darkness," made his light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ. 2 Cor. 4:6 niv

5. On the first day God used "light" that emanated from Him to make "day and night", and on the fourth day He made "sun, moon, and the stars" to give "light" to the earth. What was the purpose of the sun and the moon and star? Was it to create day and night? No, that was already done on the first day. The sun, the moon and the stars were meant to rule the day and night that already existed. They were made: For signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years, Gen.1:14. So what we see is, God being the source of "light" can shut/open to/from the luminaries.

6. Finally, Revelation 22:5 says, "There will be no more night. They will not need the light of a lamp or the light of the sun, for the Lord God will give them light. And they will reign for ever and ever".

English Standard Version says: "And night will be no more. They will need no light of lamp or sun, for the Lord God will be their light, and they will reign forever and ever".

The same source of light in Genesis 1:3 will be the same source manifested in the end also when there is no more light from the sun.
Re: Why Do Many, Even Bible Scholars Say God Created "light" First - Is It True? by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:33pm On Jul 02, 2012
Easier said than done.

Re: Why Do Many, Even Bible Scholars Say God Created "light" First - Is It True? by Goshen360(m): 8:46pm On Jul 02, 2012
Bro Olaadegbu,

Na wha for you o, lolz. Nobody says "let there be light" is NOT the FIRST word spoken by God. We are simple saying/asking, is it the first thing created by God? Abi water no dey for verse two? shey na because God didn't say "let there be water" na eim no make you understand say water water existed before light? cheesy
Re: Why Do Many, Even Bible Scholars Say God Created "light" First - Is It True? by haibe(m): 10:09pm On Jul 03, 2012
Goshen360: Joel,

Now to help you out a little bit, the darkness in Gen.1:2 WHERE DID IT COME FROM BEFORE THE HOVERING OF THE HOLY SPIRIT?

There is nothing like darkness. It is just a name given to the absence of light. Darkness is nothing.
Re: Why Do Many, Even Bible Scholars Say God Created "light" First - Is It True? by haibe(m): 11:03pm On Jul 03, 2012
Goshen360: Okay my sister. I am NOT always available on weekends. You will only notice me active on Nairaland on weekdays. Okay.

I would have love to do an intensive exposition but I guess I don't have much time. I will only say the answers to both questions plus some other useful hints and leave other brethren to search it out or do more studies on it.

1. When we study the text of Genesis and the creation, there are three basic word we MUST understand namely: create, form and make/made. To create is to bring into existence OUT of NOTHING and ONLY God is the subject of create/creation as ONLY God can create. To form/made is to bring into existence from ALREADY existing material(s)/thing(s). With this in mind, we can rightly break down some concept of Genesis and the Creation.

2. The "in the beginning" of Gen 1:1 is NOT the same as the "in the beginning" of John 1:1. Same phrase but different meaning. John 1:1 is dateless past, Gen.1:1 is a dated past. John 1:1 is eternal, Gen 1:1 is earthly as it records the creation of the earth/our present world.

3. Gen 1:2 says: "And the earth was without form, and void". This means the original state the earth was created was "formless" and "void or empty" and the basic general duty of the creative account is for God to give "form" to the earth and also "fill" the emptiness. Basically, day 1-3 are the days God gave "form" to the earth and day 4-6 are days that God "filled" the earth in order to take away the "formless" and "void". Okay. We have to also use our "imagination" when referring to the beginning of creation. Why? Because the was the earth is right now is not the original way it was "first" created. So we need our "imagination" to picture the realm of God's creation in the first original state, probably to understand the text.

3b. Again, Gen 1:2 says: "and darkness [was] upon the face of the deep". Here we see darkness upon the face of the deep. Two quick observation here. What kind of darkness is it and where did it come from and what is the deep? I have read and heard many people say this darkness is as a result of Satan being thrown down to the earth and so on and forth shocked Well, I don't think this is true! Let's allow the Bible to answer for itself. The answer is in the book of Job. Let's not forget the book of Job was also written in the time of Genesis, that before the law. Okay. Job 38:1,4,9 (But we can read from verse 1-10, for smooth understanding. However, my emphasis is on verses 1,4 and 9).

So we see from verse 9 that this darkness came as a result of thick cloud and darkness swaddling the first original state of the earth. This darkness is NOT satan, it is a dark state the earth was first created. Again, we see "upon the face of the deep". Some translations have "face" as "surface". This means the "deep" and "darkness" came together. So what is the deep? It is simple WATER. The deep is the primordial waters that was FIRST created by God which the darkness came with as a result of absence of light. If it is NOT waters, then the next sentence will NOT read: "And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters". Therefore, the water was created first, otherwise, the Spirit will NOT have moved on the face of the waters. To confirm this, lets support with more bible verse.

But they deliberately forget that long ago by God's word the heavens existed and the earth was formed out of water and by water. 2 Peter 3:5 niv.

So what did God created first (e be like say I dey type too long stories as if i wan re-write the creation account,lolz), God created WATER first. No wonder the first miracle of Jesus was also on water. First person to walk on water because He created the water and the creation is not greater than the creator.

4. Gen 1:3 then says, "And God said, Let there be light: and there was light". What light is this? It is NOT and CANNOT be Christ for John 1:1 already told us Christ existed in eternity before the beginning and also, the light is NOT capitalized "l" which means it is NOT Christ. Very simple, since we have a primordial darkness with the water, it important for God as to want to take away this darkness. How did God do that? By "calling light to be or appear". What light is it and where did it come from? This light is from God himself and God is the source of this light and it came by His word, "let there be" for the Bible tells us that God Himself is light, 1 John 1:5 and so is His word, Psalm 119:105. So when God said, let there be light, this light "produced" or "appeared" from God Himself. James 1:17 calls God "father of lights". This is the "light" that is a source to the sun, moon and stars. God then use this light to make what He called day and night. Apostle Paul puts it clearer, comparing our "heart" to the "dark deep state of the original earth". Look at this:

For God, who said, "Let light shine out of darkness," made his light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ. 2 Cor. 4:6 niv

5. On the first day God used "light" that emanated from Him to make "day and night", and on the fourth day He made "sun, moon, and the stars" to give "light" to the earth. What was the purpose of the sun and the moon and star? Was it to create day and night? No, that was already done on the first day. The sun, the moon and the stars were meant to rule the day and night that already existed. They were made: For signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years, Gen.1:14. So what we see is, God being the source of "light" can shut/open to/from the luminaries.
Nice write up but if we want to conclude that the light God created in Gen 1:3 was from him, then we must be wrong, God himself is light and therefore does not need to say "let there be light" before there will be light.(If we conclude that way). He said let there be light and there was light, that light came into existence as a result of the word God spoke and that makes it a creation of God, the light of God is not created because God himself is light and therefore doesn't need to create something that already exists, God commanded light to shine out of darkness just simply means God spoke his word to bring light when there was no light(darkness is just a word used to describe absence of light). The light God created in gen 1:3 must be a created light(maybe Sun or not) but its not the light of God. Gen 3:16 as i think must be referring to how that light that was created in gen 1;3 was made into sun and moon(to make means to form by putting parts together or combining substances), so the sun and moon were made from that light which God has created earlier, the sun and the moon was just to make distinct lights to the night and day and for signs, seasons and days, the sun and moon both originated from the light that has earlier been created in gen 1:3. Note that its possible for the sun to be darkened and that's an evidence that its not the light that was created in gen 1:3, if that light created in gen 1:3 was of God, then when there is an eclipse of the sun, there should still be a light from God shining but no its the light that was created in gen 1:3 that was made to the sun and the moon in gen 1:16 or can God's light be made into sun and moon? If yes then God wouldn't have light anymore according to the meaning of made/make i gave above.
Re: Why Do Many, Even Bible Scholars Say God Created "light" First - Is It True? by haibe(m): 11:05pm On Jul 03, 2012
Goshen360: Okay my sister. I am NOT always available on weekends. You will only notice me active on Nairaland on weekdays. Okay.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Do They Regard Catholics As Idol Worshippers / deleted / Church Members Go Naked For Pastor (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 134
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.