Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,828 members, 7,817,423 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:58 AM

The Importance Of Personal Development Goals - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / The Importance Of Personal Development Goals (9082 Views)

United Nations Sustainable Development Goals Join 360 Changemakers Apply Here / A Thread For Personal Development, Self Growth And Motivation! / A Theory Of Value Vs. Need – The Need For Personal Development. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Importance Of Personal Development Goals by SunnyChus(m): 6:36pm On Jun 27, 2012
Personal Development Goals Overview

Personal development is an important aspect of an individuals life. Personal development is a lifelong major undertaking. Cultures all over the world, since ancient times, have added a lot of value on personal development in order to bring children and youth into the society and fulfill and assume meaningful roles within it. Religion, philosophy, and ethics all encompass methods for personal development and self improvement. I have made a list of a few areas where one can set personal development goals. Though far from comprehensive, this list includes areas which constitute a large part of our lives. The areas are self-improvement, career, health, lifestyle, family, relationships, education, art and culture.

Personal Development Goals: Examples

Self Improvement: This is an area where constant growth and improvement is possible. You can enhance your skill set, you can take up something new, or you could finally get those projects done that you've been putting off. A personal development goal example would be to stop procrastinating and finally get your garden landscaped.

Career: Career growth is one of the most important areas for setting up goals. Work is what one does for a major part of time and also one's identity and self esteem is based on where they work and what they do. Working towards a promotion, increase in responsibility, or an increment in salary are all examples of career related goals.

Health: Working on aspects of your health such as losing weight, increasing your stamina, or eating healthier may be on your mind. The right thing to do would be to select one as a personal goal and act on it.

Lifestyle: Many people are looking for ways to enhance their lifestyles, and you can easily do so by setting a personal goal, such as enrollment in a wine tasting club. Other ways that include are taking a class for music/art appreciation, attending a sculpting workshop, planning a meaningful vacation, or taking up any new sport.

Family: Personal goals regarding family could be, setting a date for marriage, having a child, meeting family members you haven't met for a long time, organizing a family get together, etc.

Relationships: Setting up personal goals for relationships is a good way to approach them and helps you to monitor your progress. Goals could include finding that special someone, going steady, setting a date for engagement, etc.

Education: Education is a key area of personal development in two ways. It often describes who you and where you work. Continuing and enhancing your education for a career or out of interest is always a good goal for development. You could finally take that foreign language class you've been thinking of, or take some time out to study art history or Renaissance studies. Other options could include taking advanced courses in your area of work or an advanced degree in management.

Art: Art is an important aspect of human life which has the potential to give a lot of satisfaction and personal growth. Attending art lessons, taking up a musical instrument, or attending an acting workshop could get you started in this area.

Culture: Culture is a vast area to explore and you could do this by learning a new cuisine, traveling, going on an archaeological dig, learning a traditional dance form, etc.

As seen in the above paragraphs, setting personal development goals require a few basic steps. One is to set up the goal by identifying an area and setting up a sample personal development goal within it. The next step is to put a time boundary on the activity, that is, when to start and how long it should take. The next step is to setup the personal development plans. Once the goal is decided and the time boundaries are set, it is simply a matter of putting the plans into action.

Culled from....www.familylifeguide..com

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Importance Of Personal Development Goals by Patrioticman007(m): 10:41am On Sep 18, 2021
"Never give up in life, for life itself is a struggle ".............. Sir Abu

That some agitators are clamouring for new country, forgetting that for a true change to happen in your life, then you have to make that change yourself.

South Sudan shouted till the world gave them a new country, now those brothers are in arms against each other.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Importance Of Personal Development Goals by Raxxye(m): 10:42am On Sep 18, 2021
Good tips!

1 Like

Re: The Importance Of Personal Development Goals by Utchaykuku(m): 10:42am On Sep 18, 2021
Ok
Re: The Importance Of Personal Development Goals by Diamond8888: 10:42am On Sep 18, 2021
First bro comment I give God the glory
Re: The Importance Of Personal Development Goals by maiquel: 10:42am On Sep 18, 2021
Nice
Re: The Importance Of Personal Development Goals by kenn4rill(m): 10:43am On Sep 18, 2021
Personal development is the way forward, not wasting resources on women and flexing

11 Likes

Re: The Importance Of Personal Development Goals by HIGHESTPOPORI(m): 10:44am On Sep 18, 2021
It's necessary.Enjoy your weekend even if you are on lower package on dstv,contact me to upgrade to compact to watch all matches
Re: The Importance Of Personal Development Goals by Naijatask: 10:45am On Sep 18, 2021
Indeed
Re: The Importance Of Personal Development Goals by FreeStuffsNG: 10:45am On Sep 18, 2021
Personal Development include Spiritual development too wink
For free business ideas and money sources book , check out this thread
https://www.nairaland.com/6666800/looking-business-ideas-money-fund

Re: The Importance Of Personal Development Goals by janedonez(m): 10:45am On Sep 18, 2021
Good
Re: The Importance Of Personal Development Goals by Nobody: 10:46am On Sep 18, 2021
All these Oyinbo Theories no dey work for Africa,

Achieving a goal in Africa is about making money, either Illiterate or Not, Omo, Owo ni Koko

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Importance Of Personal Development Goals by Quitam: 10:50am On Sep 18, 2021
Good stuff. By the way, it's interesting seeing a 2012 topic gracing front page in 2021 cheesy

2 Likes

Re: The Importance Of Personal Development Goals by thatsleepboy1: 10:50am On Sep 18, 2021
Re: The Importance Of Personal Development Goals by MajorOvakporaye(f): 10:52am On Sep 18, 2021
All this one na yeye oyinbo post. Guy na Naija be dis. The country's economy is in shambles. People are preoccupied with trying to survive

1 Like

Re: The Importance Of Personal Development Goals by Omobada(m): 10:53am On Sep 18, 2021
Celebrating my birthday today with #0 in my account and debt of more than 100k yet I thank God for life and guiding me from taking unreasonable action.

1 Like

Re: The Importance Of Personal Development Goals by gambia(m): 10:54am On Sep 18, 2021
Some theories are applicable to specific locations.
Re: The Importance Of Personal Development Goals by Ifegid: 10:59am On Sep 18, 2021
Nice one
Re: The Importance Of Personal Development Goals by Kaiser20: 11:00am On Sep 18, 2021
MajorOvakporaye:
All this one na yeye oyinbo post. Guy na Naija be dis. The country's economy is in shambles. People are preoccupied with trying to survive
Don't forget, Only people with vision and good ideas survive in a country like Nigeria.
Those with just Sidon look & nothing is working mentality are the beggers.

4 Likes

Re: The Importance Of Personal Development Goals by lasisi69(f): 11:06am On Sep 18, 2021
Self development without spiritual awakening is useless... Be accountable

1 Like

Re: The Importance Of Personal Development Goals by Boniee(m): 11:11am On Sep 18, 2021
Omobada:
Celebrating my birthday today with #0 in my account and debt of more than 100k yet I thank God for life and guiding me from taking unreasonable action.

You'll be gud bro
Happy birthday

1 Like

Re: The Importance Of Personal Development Goals by Skillsnigeria: 11:13am On Sep 18, 2021
Hmmm

Visit my signature or profile to learn better skills/handwork
Re: The Importance Of Personal Development Goals by GREATESTPIANIST: 11:24am On Sep 18, 2021
Omobada:
Happy birthday to you my darling brother, God will open doors for you, keep being grateful brother...

1 Like

Re: The Importance Of Personal Development Goals by GREATESTPIANIST: 11:25am On Sep 18, 2021
Kaiser20:

Don't forget, Only people with vision and good ideas survive in a country like Nigeria.
Those with just Sidon look & nothing is working mentality are the beggers.
You are right sir....... positive mentality is key
Re: The Importance Of Personal Development Goals by Liutay(m): 11:32am On Sep 18, 2021
The importance of personal development cannot be overlooked because at the end of the day, there are lots of choices you'd have to make on your own
The sooner you start, the earlier you become wise.lol

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Importance Of Personal Development Goals by Liutay(m): 11:34am On Sep 18, 2021
FreeStuffsNG:
Personal Development include Spiritual development too wink
For free business ideas and money sources book , check out this thread
https://www.nairaland.com/6666800/looking-business-ideas-money-fund

Totally right bro.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Do You Handle A Difficult Boss? / Police Service Commission Approves Promotion Of Two Cps, 16 Dcps / ORION V18 step by step video tutorial

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.