Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,747 members, 7,817,061 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:22 AM

5,000 Bankers Lose Jobs In Past Three Weeks - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 5,000 Bankers Lose Jobs In Past Three Weeks (14728 Views)

Immigration To Recruit 5,000 Personnel Soon / Good News! Immigration Set To Recruit 5,000 Officers / Black Christmas As Over 200 Bankers Lose Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

5,000 Bankers Lose Jobs In Past Three Weeks by mukina2: 3:58pm On Jul 02, 2012
The Association of Senior Staff of Bank, Insurance and Financial Institutions (ASSBIFI) said at the weekend that 5000 of its members lost their jobs in the last three weeks.

The union also said there are indications that banks will further shed their workforce in another few months.

President of the Association Comrade Olusoji Salako stated this in an interview with our correspondent and stressing that the development is a sad commentary on the nation’s banking sector.

He said: “The information we are having is not palatable. You will understand that this has been happening since 2009. It is something we thought could have been abated by now but it is like it is not.

“It shows that something is still not right with our banking sector. All the reforms, efforts and intervention of government have not yielded the desired result in the sector.”

Salako, who traced the woes in the sector to the exploit of ‘cowboys in 1990’s,’ said the regulator gave them the opportunity to rake in more money with recapitalization and consolidation of the banking sector.

“With more funds at their disposal, they were able to build megabanks and the nation threw caution to the wind,” he said.

Salako also expressed doubts on the ability of the Asset Management Company of Nigeria (AMCON) to put troubled banks in Nigeria on tracks.

He said the agency’s mandate in the sector is not well defined by the Federal Government.

“The creation of AMCON has not helped the banking sector because the moment you begin doing things with dubious intention, then there is a problem. If AMCON wants to be fair, it should come out in clear terms stating its intervention, who will lose and who will gain,” he said.

Commenting on the problems bedeviling the banking sector, Salako said it is persisting because the government has not developed the right political will to implement its own policy.

According to him, the regulator in the banking sector has not helped as it closed its eyes while funds are looted in the failed banks.

Source
Re: 5,000 Bankers Lose Jobs In Past Three Weeks by inspirenet: 4:17pm On Jul 02, 2012
undecided undecided
Re: 5,000 Bankers Lose Jobs In Past Three Weeks by manny4life(m): 4:19pm On Jul 02, 2012
Thanks to SLS, now we have more jobless youths... sad sad sad

Just like I've said, "Hire today, fire tomorrow"... Sorry people. I know how yall feel.

“It shows that something is still not right with our banking sector. All the reforms, efforts and intervention of government have not yielded the desired result in the sector.”

This part is for SLS, I hope he can read this, when I say the man is clueless, it's no vendetta against him

2 Likes

Re: 5,000 Bankers Lose Jobs In Past Three Weeks by miteolu(m): 4:19pm On Jul 02, 2012
RUSH-IN & RUSH-OUT
Re: 5,000 Bankers Lose Jobs In Past Three Weeks by honeric01(m): 4:25pm On Jul 02, 2012
Every body wan work for bank..

BSc in Agriculture working in the bank

Micro biologist working as a cashier

Mass communication degree holder working as a marketer in the bank.

Engineering student working as CCO.

Everybody wan work for bank.

1 Like

Re: 5,000 Bankers Lose Jobs In Past Three Weeks by BlackBaron: 4:25pm On Jul 02, 2012
It's like there's no job security in the banking sector.
Re: 5,000 Bankers Lose Jobs In Past Three Weeks by sobsidy: 4:26pm On Jul 02, 2012
The real problem is Sanusi,the man is "a bull in a china shop" with his "riot like" intervention policies in a delicate sector like Banking!& what is the outcome, "An unprecedented mass layoff's" and a huge unemployment database for our dear country.

2 Likes

Re: 5,000 Bankers Lose Jobs In Past Three Weeks by Nobody: 4:26pm On Jul 02, 2012
Thanks to SANUSI the new Father of Economics after Adams Smith. Evil and wicked policies makes bankers get sack letters weekly. Once again, thanks to the mallam
Re: 5,000 Bankers Lose Jobs In Past Three Weeks by manny4life(m): 4:28pm On Jul 02, 2012
BlackBaron: It's like there's no job security in the banking sector.

There's no job security even if you worked in the Oil, Manufacturing, Retail, Entertainment or Hospitality industry. The ONLY security you can have is "ENTREPRENEURSHIP".

11 Likes

Re: 5,000 Bankers Lose Jobs In Past Three Weeks by honeric01(m): 4:30pm On Jul 02, 2012
manny4life:

There's no job security even if you worked in the Oil, Manufacturing, Retail, Entertainment or Hospitality industry. The ONLY security you can have is "ENTREPRENEURSHIP".

Nobody wants to start from the scratch, nobody wants to build but they all want to live in a house others built, no body wants to suffer as a start up business owner, rather they would sit at home waiting for other entrepreneur to employ them.

0% CREATIVITY.

10 Likes

Re: 5,000 Bankers Lose Jobs In Past Three Weeks by DeepSight(m): 4:37pm On Jul 02, 2012
o, LET'S CARRY ON GIVING THE I.DIOT SANUSI MORE AWARDS!
Re: 5,000 Bankers Lose Jobs In Past Three Weeks by tunax5loon(m): 4:41pm On Jul 02, 2012
honeric01:
Nobody wants to start from the scratch, nobody wants to build but they all want to live in a house others built, no body wants to suffer as a start up business owner, rather they would sit at home waiting for other entrepreneur to employ them.
0% CREATIVITY.

MY BRO, NO BE SO.. THIS COUNTRY IS NOT WILLING TO HELP OUR YOUTHS THEREFORE, SINCE MANY PPL DON'T HAV ACCESS TO FUND, THEY PREFER WORKING IN ESTABLISHMENTS THINKING ONE DAY THEY WILL GET HUGE CAPITAL TO START THEIR BIZ..SADLY, THE DAY NEVER COM 'COS ONCE YU ARE WORKING, PPL WILL START DEPENDING ON YU.. NO TIME TO SAFE CASH

7 Likes

Re: 5,000 Bankers Lose Jobs In Past Three Weeks by ariyebaba(m): 4:43pm On Jul 02, 2012
Aah,aah,aah,................mouth wide open............cheesy na lie..............if na 2ru............ Se me,see Wahala dey(song by Psquare)

No more job security in any sector in nigeria,except personal biz.

1 Like

Re: 5,000 Bankers Lose Jobs In Past Three Weeks by Nobody: 4:46pm On Jul 02, 2012
That's too bad!
On another note, What is the "God" Particle? Scientists claim to have found it: https://www.nairaland.com/979963/scientists-find-god-particle
Re: 5,000 Bankers Lose Jobs In Past Three Weeks by ochallo: 4:52pm On Jul 02, 2012
manny4life:

you are totally clueless, to think entrepeurship is secure. You obviously have never started a business

4 Likes

Re: 5,000 Bankers Lose Jobs In Past Three Weeks by tessyade: 4:52pm On Jul 02, 2012
And Sanusi continue to get award for this! What a world we live in!

2 Likes

Re: 5,000 Bankers Lose Jobs In Past Three Weeks by Welder(m): 4:54pm On Jul 02, 2012
Mainstreet, Sterling (ETB) even FirstBank have been sacking in droves. God, we need your help in this country...nothing seems to be working. The economy is not growing yet the management keeps giving crazy targets....God, we need you!
Re: 5,000 Bankers Lose Jobs In Past Three Weeks by manny4life(m): 4:55pm On Jul 02, 2012
ochallo:

you are totally clueless, to think entrepeurship is secure. You obviously have never started a business

Here comes the brightest chap on NL...lol, grin grin grin grin

I guess in entrepreneurship, you can fire yourself? shocked shocked shocked

honeric01:

0% CREATIVITY.

Well, the Nigerian environment isn't encouraging for small business folks. The Nigerian factor is really hostile in so many ways, so IMO, that's a deterrent factor.
Re: 5,000 Bankers Lose Jobs In Past Three Weeks by dayokanu(m): 4:56pm On Jul 02, 2012
They said the country is moving forward we shouldnt complain
Re: 5,000 Bankers Lose Jobs In Past Three Weeks by BlackBaron: 4:57pm On Jul 02, 2012
manny4life:

Not everyone can be an entrepreneur. Nor does entrepreneurship guarantee absolute job security.

I'm only focusing on the trend of obligatory mass monthly retrenchment in the banking sector compared to say oil or telecoms.
Re: 5,000 Bankers Lose Jobs In Past Three Weeks by honeric01(m): 5:00pm On Jul 02, 2012
tunax5loon:

MY BRO, NO BE SO.. THIS COUNTRY IS NOT WILLING TO HELP OUR YOUTHS THEREFORE, SINCE MANY PPL DON'T HAV ACCESS TO FUND, THEY PREFER WORKING IN ESTABLISHMENTS THINKING ONE DAY THEY WILL GET HUGE CAPITAL TO START THEIR BIZ..SADLY, THE DAY NEVER COM 'COS ONCE YU ARE WORKING, PPL WILL START DEPENDING ON YU.. NO TIME TO SAFE CASH

So who helped the companies they are looking to employ them? Nigeria was never at anytime helping anybody to establish businesses, those who did did on their own so make we stop this "govt not helping language jor". In this same "govt not helping" country, people who have taste for challenge are making it and establishing businesses.. just imagine if everyone have this mindset of "govt not helping, so we won't start up biz" who then is going to employ?

2 Likes

Re: 5,000 Bankers Lose Jobs In Past Three Weeks by manny4life(m): 5:01pm On Jul 02, 2012
BlackBaron:
Not everyone can be an entrepreneur. Nor does entrepreneurship guarantee absolute job security.

I'm only focusing on the trend of obligatory mass monthly retrenchment in the banking sector compared to say oil or telecoms.

Absolutely correct. Not everyone will be one, and I'm not saying that everyone should be one either, but I do understand your point, although I thought it was a lil generalist. I do agree with you that the turnover rates @ banks is really alarming, but we sure understand ourselves.
Re: 5,000 Bankers Lose Jobs In Past Three Weeks by honeric01(m): 5:05pm On Jul 02, 2012
manny4life:

Well, the Nigerian environment isn't encouraging for small business folks. The Nigerian factor is really hostile in so many ways, so IMO, that's a deterrent factor.

Was there a period when government encouraged small businesses? most of the companies with more staffs than production we have now started small in this same country. it's the mindset of our young ones that should change.

Statements like "after school, look for job, marry, bla bla bla". few are creative or have the zeal to do something on their own.
Re: 5,000 Bankers Lose Jobs In Past Three Weeks by honeric01(m): 5:07pm On Jul 02, 2012
BlackBaron:

The banks were employing people they never needed in the first place, hence the reason for the sacking.. if you are under producing or under-servicing, you won't dare sack. only when you have MORE staffs than production/output that you think of sacking.. simple!
Re: 5,000 Bankers Lose Jobs In Past Three Weeks by oladayo042: 5:16pm On Jul 02, 2012
That's what you'll have when everyone want to work in a particular sector.

1 Like

Re: 5,000 Bankers Lose Jobs In Past Three Weeks by tunax5loon(m): 5:20pm On Jul 02, 2012
honeric01:
Was there a period when government encouraged small businesses? most of the companies with more staffs than production we have now started small in this same country. it's the mindset of our young ones that should change.

Statements like "after school, look for job, marry, bla bla bla". few are creative or have the zeal to do something on their own.

noo yu get it wrong bro.. i finished my NYSC this FEB.. and all the money i saved, i hav invested it in my poultry biz.. i hav 100 cockrels at the moment.. but i must confess things are not easy because i can hardly buy credit.. i rely on free browsing these dayz. grin
Are yu now telling me that i don't need to search for job again?
mind yu, i'm still feeding the birds at the moment with nothing in return for now..
it is not easy. cry

2 Likes

Re: 5,000 Bankers Lose Jobs In Past Three Weeks by sessydoo(m): 5:22pm On Jul 02, 2012
Wowww anoda 5000 ppl sent to d labour market just like dat! Well over 50,000 Bank workers have lost their jobs since Sanusi's selective victimisation/intervention in the Banking Sector. And come to think that some ppl are praising this Boko haram CBN Gov is appaling. His reforms are more counter productive, selective victimisation and playing the scripts of God-fatherism. SLS is a big mistake to this Nation. Technically, he has "killed" the Banking Sector and he is more confused than the Bank Chiefs. I would never imagine that after spending Ntrillion of taxpayers money, that industry would still remain like this. Anyway what do u expect since the targeted banks are sold to sanusis cronies at such a ridiculously low price. Smaller banks suddenly swallowing Bigger banks. Wonders shall never end. there is nothing one will not see in this Naija sef. God hav mercy oooo
Re: 5,000 Bankers Lose Jobs In Past Three Weeks by honeric01(m): 5:28pm On Jul 02, 2012
tunax5loon:

noo yu get it wrong bro.. i finished my NYSC this FEB.. and all the money i saved, i hav invested it in my poultry biz.. i hav 100 cockrels at the moment.. but i must confess things are not easy because i can hardly buy credit.. i rely on free browsing these dayz. grin
Are yu now telling me that i don't need to search for job again?
mind yu, i'm still feeding the birds at the moment with nothing in return for now..
it is not easy. cry

And who said it was going to be easy? those who you are looking to employ, didn't they start the same way you are starting now?

What i am saying is that "we should stop all these job hunting most of us do" less companies are springing up because few people are ready to establish businesses while more people are looking to be employed by the few companies still standing.

Every year more than 100 thousand graduates look for jobs, how do you think they are going to be employed when companies are not being established? the only way some of them can be employed is when current staffs are sacked and this is what's happening now.. sack old workers, employ new ones, in 3-7 years time, sack them again, employ new ones, the cycle continues.

1 Like

Re: 5,000 Bankers Lose Jobs In Past Three Weeks by 3rdparty: 5:30pm On Jul 02, 2012
Thought the banks were making profit.
Re: 5,000 Bankers Lose Jobs In Past Three Weeks by sessydoo(m): 5:30pm On Jul 02, 2012
the industry that used to be the highest employer of labour has suddenly become a shadow of itself. dats what happens when we place politics above competence. i really dont know what Sanusi is still doing as the CBN Governor after destroying dat industry in d name of reforms and personal vendetta. mtchewwwwww

1 Like

Re: 5,000 Bankers Lose Jobs In Past Three Weeks by manny4life(m): 5:32pm On Jul 02, 2012
honeric01:

Both government fiscal policies AND youth willingness work hand in hand. If the govt is hostile for entrepreneurship, then that doesn't encourage youths. That's the point; the govt IS NOT encouraging small businesses, there's no incentive of being an entrepreneur. How many of our universities teach entrepreneurial programs in school? How many grants and programs have our govt supported to encourage entrepreneurship? I mean other than YouWIN, what else? The business environment and foundation is POOR. If I want to go into business, I will jump through hoops and loops from licensing to small capital to infrastructures (which is the WORST).

IMO, folks might lack the willingness to be creative but our environment need to spur such creativity. The govt is docile, the people are docile. If govt makes things available, people will move from docility to mobility, and you see the perception begins to change.

2 Likes

Re: 5,000 Bankers Lose Jobs In Past Three Weeks by chucky234(m): 5:46pm On Jul 02, 2012
FG promised 300,000 jobs to ease unemployment rate,we are yet to notice a single job created but unemployment rate have over grown.
With 5000 bankers sacked add to the millions graduated by universities this year alone,one can imagine how bad things are going in this country.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Vacancies At Teachfornigeria.org / GBFoods Africa Job Recruitment In Nigeria (6 Positions) / Dangote Graduate Engineers Training Scheme (GETS).

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.