Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,942 members, 7,952,794 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 01:11 AM

Can Set Of Twins Have Different Fathers? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Can Set Of Twins Have Different Fathers? (743 Views)

UNBELIEVABLE: Twins In Vietnam Found To Have Different Fathers After DNA Test / Conjoined Twins Born In Abuja To Unemployed Couple / 53-year-old Woman Gives Birth To Twins After 20 Years Of Childlessness (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Can Set Of Twins Have Different Fathers? by Tunjman(m): 3:47pm On Jul 03, 2012
I was amazed when someone told me it's possible for set of twins to have different fathers. I argued it out that it can't be since it is only an egg that can be released in a cycle and once this egg is fertilized, there will be no room for ovulation (which is the only period eggs are released) till the baby is born.

However, i was asked to google HETEROPATERNAL SUPERFECUNDATION and see what it means. truly, i did and found out that it is possible in animals and it is the result of hyperovulation in mammals.

Can doctors in the house shed more light on this.

Thanks.
Re: Can Set Of Twins Have Different Fathers? by Nobody: 11:17am On Jul 04, 2012
I read about HETEROPATERNAL SUPERFECUNDATION on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superfecundation and find out that it's possible, not only possible it has happened before http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1378184/Woman-discovers-twins-sons-DIFFERENT-fathers-The-Maury-Show.html

(1) (Reply)

Busted: 8 Myths About Sexual Health / 25 Facts About Dreams That Won't Put You To Sleep / Action Cure : DIABETICS!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 6
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.