Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,740 members, 7,824,135 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:02 AM

I Am Begining To Hate Myself. - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Am Begining To Hate Myself. (1450 Views)

10 Funny Reasons Why We All Hate Nigerian Tailors / Why Do Nigerian Graduates Dread (or Is It Hate) Marketing/sales Jobs? / The 11 People We Love To Hate At Work (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Am Begining To Hate Myself. by Chudoify: 6:01am On Jul 06, 2012
I am 31 now and a graduate of engineering.i did my youth service 2009/2010.But uptill now no job.i have started preparing for ICAN exam November diet(foundation).my dear friends, my confusion now is:if i spend like 2 years to acquire ican is it going to help me secure a good job?since i am 31 years now by the time i finish it i will be 33.will my age not be a problem to me then considering how the nigeria labour market is.i am afraid of this and is demoralizing me.should i just forget about it and look for a business that i will do.please i will be glad to read your post.love u all.
Re: I Am Begining To Hate Myself. by tanimola22: 8:57am On Jul 06, 2012
Chudoify: I am 31 now and a graduate of engineering.i did my youth service 2009/2010.But uptill now no job.i have started preparing for ICAN exam November diet(foundation).my dear friends, my confusion now is:if i spend like 2 years to acquire ican is it going to help me secure a good job?since i am 31 years now by the time i finish it i will be 33.will my age not be a problem to me then considering how the nigeria labour market is.i am afraid of this and is demoralizing me.should i just forget about it and look for a business that i will do.please i will be glad to read your post.love u all.

Hi,

Can you do the business and pursue the ICAN and search for jobs all at the same time?

Me thinks all of them are doable at the same time, considering that ICAN does not cost a fortune.

T22

2 Likes

Re: I Am Begining To Hate Myself. by straighthome: 5:16pm On Jul 06, 2012
poster i can understand your frustration as i am an hr person and 33 is not such a good age to be an entry level candidate however you could seek some volunteering or attachment so that apart from your certifications you can show experience in that form....wish you all the best
Re: I Am Begining To Hate Myself. by since1914(m): 6:05pm On Jul 06, 2012
Poster, you must keep being strong and hopeful. Your situation is almost becoming a norm not just in Nigeria but around the world, especially in Europe. People are begining to loose hope in life.

Whatever you do, don't ever get desperate or else it will begin to affect your decisions. There are people in far worse situations than yours, some even with chronic illness. Don't worry things will get better. Just work harder on your options.

If you are already searching for work, keep at it while you explore the business or ICAN thing.
Re: I Am Begining To Hate Myself. by benJAVA: 8:06am On Jul 07, 2012
Like I use to say Nigeria does not owe us anything, your future is in your hand start something or anything legitimate that you love ASAP an in a matter of years you will be glad you did. I did the same even before I gained admission n till today I am still in business managing my own business, Im just 26 and I already have about 10 years experience and the sacrifice is paying well now.
Re: I Am Begining To Hate Myself. by euee2003: 11:14am On Jul 07, 2012
Can you do the business and pursue the ICAN and search for jobs all at the same time?[img]http://www.keyforex.info/g.gif[/img]
Re: I Am Begining To Hate Myself. by violent(m): 1:19pm On Jul 07, 2012
Chudoify: I am 31 now and a graduate of engineering.i did my youth service 2009/2010.But uptill now no job.i have started preparing for ICAN exam November diet(foundation).my dear friends, my confusion now is:if i spend like 2 years to acquire ican is it going to help me secure a good job?since i am 31 years now by the time i finish it i will be 33.will my age not be a problem to me then considering how the nigeria labour market is.i am afraid of this and is demoralizing me.should i just forget about it and look for a business that i will do.please i will be glad to read your post.love u all.

Get moving. Don't spend all your time acquiring certificates without a sound experience. Experience does not necessarily have to be at the work place. Learning computer programming and building software applications is one way to improve your experience and make yourself more salable. You can then work as a consultant for small to medium enterprise and build your way from there. You would also be having lots of fun while doing so and it will help you to narrow your specialty.

Unfortunately, I'm of the opinion that ICAN does not necessarily provide you with a hands on experience on accounting. It only means you understand the technical details involved, but of what use is that if you can't demonstrate from experience that you can actually do the job? Additionally, what advantage do you suppose you'd have if there are hundreds people in their early twenties applying for the same spot as you -- with their ICAN certificates?

I'm of the opinion that you may have come to the point in your life where "what you are capable of doing" counts a lot more than "what certificates or degree you've got".

and if all else fails, (and take this as an advise from a brother to brother): you may consider revising downwards your official age.---it's dishonest, it's unethical, it's unprofessional--- but, my good friend, it's the way of the world. I know i'd do it in a heartbeat, especially when i'm solely responsible for paying my bills.

1 Like

Re: I Am Begining To Hate Myself. by toptop: 4:06pm On Jul 07, 2012
Poster, which aspect of engineering did you major in? Bear in mind that there is no guarantee that you will qualify through ICAN in even the next 3 years. Let me stop here till i know your area of major.
Re: I Am Begining To Hate Myself. by Chudoify: 4:33pm On Jul 07, 2012
I studied metallurgy and materials engineering.thank you .
Re: I Am Begining To Hate Myself. by Chudoify: 7:25pm On Jul 07, 2012
@ violent, pls how do i begin a career in computer programing?
Re: I Am Begining To Hate Myself. by osogwu(m): 4:12pm On Jul 08, 2012
don't look at certificate, engage yourself in a small scale biz and be searching for job.life is all about making money.Today,people value money more than certificate.But it is good to acquire certificate.And when you combine certificate with money,you can do any thing.

(1) (Reply)

Why Getting An MBA Early On In Your Career May Be A Bad Idea / Autocad, Pdms, Hysys, P&id Training In Lagos ( July, 2015) / 10 Easiest Countries To Get A Work Visa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.