Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,785 members, 7,820,753 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:51 PM

Do Women Make Better Managers Than Men? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Do Women Make Better Managers Than Men? (6355 Views)

EcoBank Sacks 50 Top Managers / Why Are Women In Position More Mean Than Men??? / Zenith Bank Sacks Marketers & Managers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do Women Make Better Managers Than Men? by ifeci: 10:47pm On Jul 08, 2012
women dont make better anything than men.
Re: Do Women Make Better Managers Than Men? by Sagytarius(m): 11:34pm On Jul 08, 2012
segzi cres: Well from my. Experience women. Managerial. Skills. R. Poor........I've worked 4 3. Women. N it's like working. for. Hitler + sadam. Hussan. Together.......dey get controlled by. Deir. Un-controllable. Emotions

Pal, I suggest you should either
1) Space your words with one-character space; or
2) deactivate the "auto full-stop insertion" on the keypad of your mobile device
Re: Do Women Make Better Managers Than Men? by MacLovington(m): 4:45am On Jul 09, 2012
paix: Women generally are more meticulous when it comes to spending money. Does that make them better managers than their male counterparts?

It varies:
Men are conditioned as breadwinners/providers. We instinctly show that we care by doling out money to aged grandparents, our fine babe or anybody we should instinctively provide for.

Women show they care by smiling, sweet words, a quip gossip but shishi, they won't give out anyhow. Even your wife will tell your kids to wait for daddy and ask him for your book list money. grin

But still lots of ladies can spend a fortune on premium lace and shoes.

When it comes to managing business, I like to believe they are good BUT I have only ever had two female bosses.

(1) One was so mean and the environment so toxic that I left the job and told her I was leaving to avoid something serious happening especially as she was pregnant. Some others stayed because of the nice male MD/lack of choice.

(2) The second one sacked an innocent staff without due process/no investigation just because another staff she liked and often gossiped with lied against him. Her company's big shots felt humiliated at the employment tribunal. They had to pay over £60,000 to my guy!! She was sacked pronto.
That was like 13 years ago.
Re: Do Women Make Better Managers Than Men? by Sike(m): 6:41am On Jul 09, 2012
Hell NO.
Re: Do Women Make Better Managers Than Men? by Kikyben2(f): 7:02am On Jul 09, 2012
Why is it only the faults in women that men seem to see, as far as I'm concerned women are gud managers both at home nd other areas too, i've seen women manage big firms including banks...if they weren't doing well i guess, nobody would ever appoint a woman as a manager anywhere...they also do well when they manager their own businesses..
Re: Do Women Make Better Managers Than Men? by Claracuzio: 8:18am On Jul 09, 2012
How na?

Women = emotions before.applying sense
Men = apply sense without emotions

Its so simple, God created women to be domestic and so is their brain- domestic.
Once a woman is no longer domestic she is off side and bound to misbehave.
I know all the off sided women in nairaland will war with this commen but the truth is f u c k i n g bitter
Re: Do Women Make Better Managers Than Men? by Tgirl4real(f): 9:30am On Jul 09, 2012
paix: Women generally are more meticulous when it comes to spending money. Does that make them better managers than their male counterparts?

Yes of course. That is why we are beginning to see more women in managerial positions.
Re: Do Women Make Better Managers Than Men? by subzero2(m): 9:45am On Jul 09, 2012
Ask Patricia Eteh.
Re: Do Women Make Better Managers Than Men? by Sagamite(m): 10:27am On Jul 09, 2012

What a moronic point.

That is why they spend so much money on shoes and clothes they never even get to wear?

That is why they go to stores to buy one thing but come back buying 15 things?

Where the hell did you pull that stewpid "fact" from?

From the hell that is the hole of your arse!
Re: Do Women Make Better Managers Than Men? by AjanleKoko: 10:54am On Jul 09, 2012
No they don't,not by implication.
And men don't necessarily make better managers than women either.

However, women are invaluable in the corporate setting, especially for consumer-focused businesses. 95% of household decisions are made by women. So, I'd put women in leadership positions, when it comes to Sales and Marketing. Also finance.

Men are better at managing engineering and other technical-related areas.
Re: Do Women Make Better Managers Than Men? by chccho(m): 10:54am On Jul 09, 2012
4rm my xperience,female managers r d worst managers,dey ve poor decision making
Ability
Dey r poor crises managers cos, dey dnt know hw 2handle issues
Dey r either emotional,jealous,envious,ill mannered or jst stupid.
This doesn't mean there aren't poor male managers, bt put out a survey am
Telln u only 3 out of 10 female managers are efficient..
Women were designed for home making n mgt that's where their strength is
It also cuts across women in customer service units too,those 1,s are even wose.
Re: Do Women Make Better Managers Than Men? by Sagamite(m): 11:15am On Jul 09, 2012
AjanleKoko: No they don't,not by implication.
And men don't necessarily make better managers than women either.

However, women are invaluable in the corporate setting, especially for consumer-focused businesses. 95% of household decisions are made by women. So, I'd put women in leadership positions, when it comes to Sales and Marketing. Also finance.

Men are better at managing engineering and other technical-related areas.

I will add that, ON AVERAGE, it depends on the environment of function and required critical success factors of the organisation.

Men would be better managers on average for organisations in a competitive and dynamic settings where individual returns is key. That is competitive private sector firms like banks, technology ect.

Women would be better managers on average for organisations in a social mission settings where functioning for aggregate social benefit is key. That is places like schools, social work, charities etc.

Obviously individual personalities is what determines one's capability so there are people of the opposite sex that can do vice versa (e.g. Margaret Thatcher, Mahatma Ghandi) but generally each sex's personality is on average skewed to align to the aforementioned capabilities.
Re: Do Women Make Better Managers Than Men? by Nobody: 11:34am On Jul 09, 2012
who says, look at Ndi Onyuike and Arunma Oteh, what do they have in common
Re: Do Women Make Better Managers Than Men? by childluck(m): 11:57am On Jul 09, 2012
...OP, on your point "Most Women are only meticulous when spending their own money".
Re: Do Women Make Better Managers Than Men? by AjanleKoko: 11:57am On Jul 09, 2012
Sagamite:

I will add that, ON AVERAGE, it depends on the environment of function and required critical success factors of the organisation.

Men would be better managers on average for organisations in a competitive and dynamic settings where individual returns is key. That is competitive private sector firms like banks, technology ect.

Women would be better managers on average for organisations in a social mission settings where functioning for aggregate social benefit is key. That is places like schools, social work, charities etc.

Obviously individual personalities is what determines one's capability so there are people of the opposite sex that can do vice versa (e.g. Margaret Thatcher, Mahatma Ghandi) but generally each sex's personality is on average skewed to align to the aforementioned capabilities.

I would obviously disagree here.
I work in an organization that follows your first classification, and we have professional men and women working here.
I think, while both men and women have their working styles, based on psychological make-up, it's erroneous to assume that women are suited, on average, to a specific class of job or industry. Remember that roles within the organization are diverse. Like I mentioned in my post, women are very valuable in marketing and brand management roles, in organizations with a consumer marketing focus. This is as a result of research.

The issue is, on average, women are often relegated in the workplace due to a variety of issues. But I've seen women excel in sales and marketing management, as well as finance. These roles need strategic decisions, a focus on the bottom line, and objectivity. Men are more suited, in my opining, to engineering and operations management roles, as they require a lot of people-management skill, quick turnaround of tasks, and a lot of grunt work.

My assessment though.
Re: Do Women Make Better Managers Than Men? by Sagamite(m): 1:10pm On Jul 09, 2012
AjanleKoko:
I would obviously disagree here.
I work in an organization that follows your first classification, and we have professional men and women working here.
I think, while both men and women have their working styles, based on psychological make-up, it's erroneous to assume that women are suited, on average, to a specific class of job or industry. Remember that roles within the organization are diverse. Like I mentioned in my post, women are very valuable in marketing and brand management roles, in organizations with a consumer marketing focus. This is as a result of research.

The issue is, on average, women are often relegated in the workplace due to a variety of issues. But I've seen women excel in sales and marketing management, as well as finance. These roles need strategic decisions, a focus on the bottom line, and objectivity. Men are more suited, in my opining, to engineering and operations management roles, as they require a lot of people-management skill, quick turnaround of tasks, and a lot of grunt work.

My assessment though.

I don't think we particularly disagree. Obviously roles within each of my classification, on average, will suit certain sexes.

E.g. in investment banking, guys tend to do better in roles like trading and corporate finance while women tend to do better at Sales and Investor Relations.

What my classification did was view it from overarching angle of people that head the organisation. Men tend to be more aggressive because of testerone and would fit organisations that need that to excel/survive and women tend to be more emotive and would fit organisations with more sociable missions.

That said it is also very situational, and to go deeper in terms of working in private sector, we would have to look at it from the psychology required from a market lifecycle perspective. Maybe men are better when the industry is in an embryonic or growth phase, and women are better in the ageing phase. While maybe both can adapt to the mature phase depending an market share distribution. Also, it might also be dependent on the values and ethos the industry cherishes (e.g. banking values and ethos are very different from that of the fashion or restaurant industry), some might suit masculine qualities, some might suit feminine qualities.

In my opinion, I think it all boils down to the Myers Briggs Type Indicator of personalities. A greater proportion of women would tend to have more of the Feeling function than men, hence aim to please people and be popular, so are subjective people. We all know I am drastically deficient of that function. grin I would rather use my Thinking function and be an objective person. cheesy
Re: Do Women Make Better Managers Than Men? by AjanleKoko: 4:10pm On Jul 09, 2012
Sagamite:

I don't think we particularly disagree. Obviously roles within each of my classification, on average, will suit certain sexes.

E.g. in investment banking, guys tend to do better in roles like trading and corporate finance while women tend to do better at Sales and Investor Relations.

What my classification did was view it from overarching angle of people that head the organisation. Men tend to be more aggressive because of testerone and would fit organisations that need that to excel/survive and women tend to be more emotive and would fit organisations with more sociable missions.

That said it is also very situational, and to go deeper in terms of working in private sector, we would have to look at it from the psychology required from a market lifecycle perspective. Maybe men are better when the industry is in an embryonic or growth phase, and women are better in the ageing phase. While maybe both can adapt to the mature phase depending an market share distribution. Also, it might also be dependent on the values and ethos the industry cherishes (e.g. banking values and ethos are very different from that of the fashion or restaurant industry), some might suit masculine qualities, some might suit feminine qualities.

In my opinion, I think it all boils down to the Myers Briggs Type Indicator of personalities. A greater proportion of women would tend to have more of the Feeling function than men, hence aim to please people and be popular, so are subjective people. We all know I am drastically deficient of that function. grin I would rather use my Thinking function and be an objective person. cheesy

Well-put. Bolded is exactly the point I was trying to make.
And well . . . science does say that African women have much higher levels of testosterone than women of other races. That might explain why a number of Nigerian women are quite business-savvy grin
Re: Do Women Make Better Managers Than Men? by Robena: 5:35pm On Jul 09, 2012
if women rule this world it will be a better place.
Re: Do Women Make Better Managers Than Men? by Sagamite(m): 7:11pm On Jul 09, 2012
Robena: if women rule this world it will be a better place.

If they did, it would be destroyed.
Re: Do Women Make Better Managers Than Men? by bknight: 7:13am On Jul 10, 2012
Totally destroyed. undecided
Re: Do Women Make Better Managers Than Men? by Nobody: 8:37am On Jul 10, 2012
Re: Do Women Make Better Managers Than Men? by Nobody: 8:40am On Jul 10, 2012
Re: Do Women Make Better Managers Than Men? by Tgirl4real(f): 9:19am On Jul 10, 2012
Sagamite:

What a moronic point.

That is why they spend so much money on shoes and clothes they never even get to wear?

That is why they go to stores to buy one thing but come back buying 15 things?

Where the hell did you pull that stewpid "fact" from?

From the hell that is the hole of your arse!

na wa o. Una dey fight before grin
Re: Do Women Make Better Managers Than Men? by Sagamite(m): 10:47am On Jul 10, 2012
Tgirl4real:

na wa o. Una dey fight before grin

People shouldn't chat shyt, mehn.

When people want to make assertions that they see as general facts, they should use their own brains to critique it before it comes out like vomit.

We are all suppose to have gone through some form of formal education, some people should start letting it show.

Surely I would sound daft as well if I make assertions like "Nigeria is the most developed country in Africa".

People should engage their brains. The fact that they don't makes me question democracy.

I hate democracy because I think my vote should, by default, carry more weight than the majority of cretins that populate this world.
Re: Do Women Make Better Managers Than Men? by Tgirl4real(f): 11:47am On Jul 10, 2012
sofry sofry sha
Re: Do Women Make Better Managers Than Men? by neduadiele: 9:08am On Feb 27, 2015
Hi ogunniyi2, can you give me more details on Montaigne ltd, it appears you have worked with them before, your prompt response will be highly appreciated. Thanks

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nike Hires Nigerian Artist Laolu Sebanjo To Create Air Max Inspired Art In NY / Get Photoshop Video Tutorial 2018 Learn How To Use Photoshop For FREE / What Do U Dislike About Your Organization.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.