Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,182 members, 7,818,579 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:11 PM

Can You Fall In Love With Someone You've Never Met? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Can You Fall In Love With Someone You've Never Met? (5486 Views)

Checkout How Couples Who Met At The Club Dance At Their Wedding - Photo / American Man Sends Over $100,000 To Wife In Nigeria He’s Never Met / Banker Who Fell In Love With A Customer & Married Her Tells His Luv Story(Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can You Fall In Love With Someone You've Never Met? by Jenny20(f): 2:58pm On Jul 11, 2012
I haven't fallen in love online with anyone personally, I have felt connected in some ways to people whom I have never met in real, face-to-face.

People generally get attracted to each other based on common ideas, common outlook towards life, common value systems, similar views on important issues. If you happen to know someone over the Internet, you can sometimes feel connected if your views match theirs. Also, you might like their sense of humor - that does come through no matter what the medium - speech or chat or text. So, face-to-face contact isn't as essential in knowing the other person. One can even argue that not having face-to-face contact can have certain advantages. You may not judge the other person for their physical looks per se, but may get in touch with them at a deeper emotional level.

Consequently, I would think you could theoretically fall in love with someone you've never met in person. But, could such a love stand the test of time? Would such a love overcome the potentially high expectations generated by an online or virtual personality? Certain personality traits may not be visible or apparent in an the online domain. Would such a love then be able to come to terms with the reality of physical imperfections or deficiencies? These are important questions to consider when one falls in love over the Internet or via the phone or any other medium where the two lovers can't meet face to face.

Assuming that a couple has met over the Internet or over the phone, the more interesting thing that I'd like to know would be - what would be their reaction when they do in fact meet in person for the first time. You may like their thoughts/views on various subjects and like the online person you've met, but what if the person turns out to be, well, not as attractive physically when you first meet them. Can you overlook that fact and love them the same way as you did before you met?

Even though most people say (to be politically correct than anything else) that outward beauty doesn't matter to them, generally most people value beauty in a potential partner. So, while it is possible that you can fall in love with someone you've never met in person, it is not as possible to predict whether you would in fact remain in love with that person - once you've met them - especially if that person turns out to be not as attractive (based on your standards of attractiveness).

Also, when you do in fact meet a person face-to-face, you may discover many things about him/her that you hadn't quite anticipated. Perhaps, he/she has some embarassing habits that you hadn't quite anticipated -- or perhaps he/she has some irritating quality that wasn't apparent to you before through his/her online persona. So, while you can fall in love with someone you've never met, whether you stay in love with that person is quite another matter. Have you fallen in love with someone you've never met? If so, I'd like to hear. Feel free to share your experiences!!

1 Like

Re: Can You Fall In Love With Someone You've Never Met? by Frazy(f): 3:04pm On Jul 11, 2012
I have two different online love stories. One friend married the man she met on line and divorced him after 10 years of emotional abuse. She is now happily dating another guy she met..on line!! The other left her jealous, controlling, neglectful husband for the man she met online and they are doing quite well. I think it is quite possible to develop feelings and a deep interest in someone online. Its just another way for a relationship to start, but how it will end? Its a journey, and you never know where it will take you, no matter how you met. You make some very valid points as to reality vs. fantasy, like discovering unexpected annoying habits.
Re: Can You Fall In Love With Someone You've Never Met? by nikkyshyne(f): 3:48pm On Jul 11, 2012
I have liked guyz online but definitely not fall in love. It seems to be the other way round with them. Some of them fall in love and wont let me be undecided

Seriously.
Re: Can You Fall In Love With Someone You've Never Met? by ifyalways(f): 6:38pm On Jul 11, 2012
Like, lust? Very possible but love?NO WAY.
Re: Can You Fall In Love With Someone You've Never Met? by blacklake1(f): 7:10pm On Jul 11, 2012
Fall in love online? Na wash!
Re: Can You Fall In Love With Someone You've Never Met? by jellyloveb(f): 10:07pm On Jul 11, 2012
Oh my! For nearly months each week I have been sharing my life, my experiences and my daily challenges and joys with someone I have come to grow very fond of. Last night for the very first time, after responding to his mail, he went online. I was so emotional.I was online too. It was overwhelming to experience talking to him live, you have no idea! As naturally talkative as I am, for the very first time I was speechless. It is amazing how feelings creep up on you and turn your whole emotional life upside down. It certainly was a priceless and unforgettable moment where reality seemed just a second away. My heart was beating a thousand times more than what it was meant to. Today, i am trying to reflect on all that has happened and as i sit here thinking of all the many thoughts running through my head, i feel like i can just run to him and turn this dream into reality.A dream where i can make physical contact with him and the least, to hear the sound of his voice and feel the aura his prresence exudes, perhaps his cologne too... just to stimulate all my senses and confirm the perceptions I have of him, the truth and the unknown. I wish each one of you the best life has to offer, and may you always remember, that "God won't bring you to it, if he can't take you to it" and very often we meet the greatest people in our lives not when we expect them, nor when we want them. All i do is be myself, live passionately and honestly in the present and pray, "God's will be done and not my own", that keep me sane, focused and strengthens the appreciative joy of knowing him, come what may. smiley

1 Like

Re: Can You Fall In Love With Someone You've Never Met? by Jenny20(f): 10:32pm On Jul 11, 2012
jellyloveb: Oh my! For nearly months each week I have been sharing my life, my experiences and my daily challenges and joys with someone I have come to grow very fond of. Last night for the very first time, after responding to his mail, he went online. I was so emotional.I was online too. It was overwhelming to experience talking to him live, you have no idea! As naturally talkative as I am, for the very first time I was speechless. It is amazing how feelings creep up on you and turn your whole emotional life upside down. It certainly was a priceless and unforgettable moment where reality seemed just a second away. My heart was beating a thousand times more than what it was meant to. Today, i am trying to reflect on all that has happened and as i sit here thinking of all the many thoughts running through my head, i feel like i can just run to him and turn this dream into reality.A dream where i can make physical contact with him and the least, to hear the sound of his voice and feel the aura his prresence exudes, perhaps his cologne too... just to stimulate all my senses and confirm the perceptions I have of him, the truth and the unknown. I wish each one of you the best life has to offer, and may you always remember, that "God won't bring you to it, if he can't take you to it" and very often we meet the greatest people in our lives not when we expect them, nor when we want them. All i do is be myself, live passionately and honestly in the present and pray, "God's will be done and not my own", that keep me sane, focused and strengthens the appreciative joy of knowing him, come what may. smiley

You have a beautiful way with words and a beautiful outlook towards love and live. I wish you the very best and hope your wishes and dreams are fulfilled. Hope your dreams turn to reality and all your expectations of him are met.
Re: Can You Fall In Love With Someone You've Never Met? by Aringarosa(m): 10:52pm On Jul 11, 2012
It seems to me that people experience online love much the same as the real life thing. Except that the attraction is focused on the persons personality and not the (although initial) physical. It is also true that people communicate for a long time before they actually meet, thus allowing a deeper bond to develop. This seems to be a good thing. Internet relationships are subject to the same challenges that real life ones face, and consequently can be as doomed as a real life one. So it seems it doesn't matter how or where you meet as long as you take the time to talk, talk and talk first and then some more. In my own personal online love story, I can honestly say that I was attracted by her beauty at first, but once we started talking we found that we have much in common. We found that we were both incredibly lonely and that we had both given up on finding someone. Skype is a good way to get to know an online interest better. It allows you see and observe a person in real life. I'll advise anyone to approach online relationships with an open mind. In fact it allows you the distance and time to really make up your mind about a person.

(1) (Reply)

Please HELP, How do I recover my money / Now You Can Iron Your Clothes With Your "I Pass My Neighbour" Generator / If Your Husband Gets Another Girl Pregnant, What Would You Do?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.