Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,761 members, 7,820,649 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:47 PM

What Type Of Coolant Should I Use? - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / What Type Of Coolant Should I Use? (3426 Views)

Synthetic Oil, ATF, CVT And Coolant 08090885065 / With 2million Naira, What Type Of SUV Should I Buy. / Prestone Prediluted Coolant/anti-freeze Now Available For All Vehicles (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Type Of Coolant Should I Use? by autoselect: 6:11pm On Jul 12, 2012
There are a lot of coolant types to choose from when you go to a well stocked auto parts store, so which one works best in your car? The simple answer is, well, simple: use what came in your car. However, sometimes it may be difficult to decipher what the original equipment manufacturer (OEM) used, especially if you purchased your car used,which is mostly the case in the Nigerian society.
In the spirit of trying to keep this often times confusing subject simple, we will review the three basic types of automotive coolant: Inorganic Acid Technology (IAT), Organic Acid Technology (OAT), and Hybrid Organic Acid Technology (HOAT).
IAT coolants are the "traditional green" variety used in virtually all vehicles from the late 1920s to the mid to late 1990s. Like all antifreeze, it is naturally clear; its color comes from dye. Unlike the other types of antifreeze, it uses silicate and phosphate corrosion inhibitors to protect the metal parts of the engine and cooling system. However, these inhibitors wear out quickly, so IAT type coolants need to be flushed every two years or 30,000 miles.
OAT coolants typically do not use silicate and phosphate corrosion inhibitors. Different manufacturers use different chemical additives to battle rust and corrosion, and they all dye their coolants different colors. GM's ubiquitous DEX-COOL coolant is an OAT antifreeze dyed orange. Toyota, Volkswagen, and Audi all use their own formulas that happen to be dyed pink. Honda uses a dark green dye. OAT coolants have longer service lives than IAT coolants, needing to be flushed every 5 years or 150,000 miles.
HOAT coolants use different additives than OAT, but also use some silicate to protect aluminum surfaces. Modern Ford, Chrysler, and most European vehicles use their own HOAT coolant formulas. Ford's is dyed yellow and Chrysler's is orange (not to be confused with DEX-COOL). Both use the marketing name of GO-5. HOAT coolant has the same service interval as OAT (5 years or 150,000 miles).
Although you can mix coolant types without harm, it is highly recommended that you only mix other coolants with coolants specifically designed to mix with all antifreeze/coolants of all types,Prestone antifreeze/coolant is just the type of coolant for that.
Prestone Extended Life Antifreeze/Coolant is compatible with ANY antifreeze/ coolant – regardless of color – for use in ALL makes and models of cars and light duty trucks. This patented formula provides a high degree of performance durability and carefully balanced protection against temperature extremes and rust corrosion of all cooling system metals, including aluminum.

Re: What Type Of Coolant Should I Use? by lanzaguy: 12:03pm On Jul 16, 2012
but i heard its unsafe to mix different coloured coolants with each other? are you now saying this is not the case again? and where can we get this preston
Re: What Type Of Coolant Should I Use? by autoselect: 3:18pm On Jul 16, 2012
@lanzaguy Prestone is very safe to mix with any colour or brand of coolant previously in your car.And it can can be used for all makes and models of cars.It is available at reputable auto part & lubricant stores or you can csll Autoselect hotline on 018447329 to refer you to any of our dealers near you.
Re: What Type Of Coolant Should I Use? by godstime28: 3:26pm On Jul 16, 2012
Normally use it in the states.it is a US product of good quality but i wonder how much this will go for in this naija. any clues on the price? Mr autoselect tell us how much grin
Re: What Type Of Coolant Should I Use? by autoselect: 5:47pm On Jul 16, 2012
The 1gallon (3.75 liters) goes for 1500 while the 1liter goes for 850 each.
Re: What Type Of Coolant Should I Use? by godstime28: 5:54pm On Jul 16, 2012
shocked not bad!!!
Re: What Type Of Coolant Should I Use? by autoselect: 9:00am On Jul 22, 2012
Mr Godstime, check out our other prestone products on our website http://www.autoselectcorp.com/PrestoneCarCare.html
We guarantee you'll be happy with the prices

(1) (Reply)

Sold!!!Foreign Used Chrysler 300c 2003:900k. / Tokunbo Toyota Camry 2003 Model 4 Pulg 1.4m / Sold out 1.1m 2006 Honda Accord Dc @ Oshodi Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.