Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,554 members, 7,819,982 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:55 AM

FG Approves 51 Universities To Offer Post Graduate Studies - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / FG Approves 51 Universities To Offer Post Graduate Studies (17620 Views)

Top 10 Universities To Study Engineering In Nigeria / Most Difficult Universities To Make First-Class In Nigeria? / Toughest Universities To Enter In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG Approves 51 Universities To Offer Post Graduate Studies by mukina2: 10:01am On Jul 13, 2012
The federal government has approved a total of 51 universities to offer postgraduate programmes in the country.

Minister of Education, Professor Ruqayyatu Rufai announced this during the presentation and distribution of the stipulated benchmark by the National Universities Commision in Abuja.

Issuing a minimum academic benchmark, the minister warned all universities offering post-graduate programmes across the country to strictly adhere to it or face stiff sanctions.

Professor Ruqayattu Rufai also disclosed that an accreditation process for universities qualified to offer postgraduate programmes will soon commence.

According to the executive secretary of the National Universities Commission, Professsor Julius Okogie, the postgraduate benchmark minimum academic standards ,will not only address the shortfalls in the numbers of lecturers required for postgraduate programmes but will also help postgraduate education in Nigeria meet the demands in the global market.

http://www.channelstv.com/home/2012/07/12/fg-approves-51-universities-to-offer-post-graduate-studies/?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter

1 Like

Re: FG Approves 51 Universities To Offer Post Graduate Studies by Okijajuju1(m): 10:08am On Jul 13, 2012
List please?!
Re: FG Approves 51 Universities To Offer Post Graduate Studies by Kslib(m): 10:13am On Jul 13, 2012
Yes,list please and when is the programme starting...
Re: FG Approves 51 Universities To Offer Post Graduate Studies by Afam4eva(m): 4:22pm On Jul 13, 2012
Where's the list na?
Re: FG Approves 51 Universities To Offer Post Graduate Studies by Nobody: 4:26pm On Jul 13, 2012
I have a question: if you bother to do masters programme, or ph.d programme, why bother doing it in nigeria? Their university scheme don't work, what makes you think their post grad will?
Re: FG Approves 51 Universities To Offer Post Graduate Studies by Nobody: 4:28pm On Jul 13, 2012
Bwhahahaha..

Those universities can't even produce quality graduates, yet they want them to offer post graduate studies.

Funny country!! grin grin
Re: FG Approves 51 Universities To Offer Post Graduate Studies by alongeyink(m): 4:31pm On Jul 13, 2012
[/color][color=#006600]
SimonAndal: I have a question: if you bother to do masters programme, or ph.d programme, why bother doing it in nigeria? Their university scheme don't work, what makes you think their post grad will?
. Not everone has the opportunities to study abroad.

7 Likes

Re: FG Approves 51 Universities To Offer Post Graduate Studies by adetwin(m): 4:33pm On Jul 13, 2012
May GOD see us through in this country ... Is not about Approval it's by performance !
Re: FG Approves 51 Universities To Offer Post Graduate Studies by Osama10(m): 4:41pm On Jul 13, 2012
I believe we would be having close to a thousand Uni's in Naija.
Re: FG Approves 51 Universities To Offer Post Graduate Studies by miracle4(m): 4:42pm On Jul 13, 2012
this is a welcome development

1 Like

Re: FG Approves 51 Universities To Offer Post Graduate Studies by Osama10(m): 4:44pm On Jul 13, 2012
Are they funding the existing ones properly?

1 Like

Re: FG Approves 51 Universities To Offer Post Graduate Studies by Tsmooth1(m): 4:48pm On Jul 13, 2012
I hope they wont be private Universities there.
Re: FG Approves 51 Universities To Offer Post Graduate Studies by pdpiperpippen: 4:58pm On Jul 13, 2012
If u can't give me a list then get this Rubbish outa my face.

1 Like

Re: FG Approves 51 Universities To Offer Post Graduate Studies by Biafrarep(m): 5:03pm On Jul 13, 2012
SimonAndal: I have a question: if you bother to do masters programme, or ph.d programme, why bother doing it in nigeria? Their university scheme don't work, what makes you think their post grad will?
Is the amount, the same?
Re: FG Approves 51 Universities To Offer Post Graduate Studies by SamAfrik(m): 5:05pm On Jul 13, 2012
Nigerian universities are VERY good for undergraduate studies (theories). But if u have an opportunity for a PG (research) please GO ABROAD (west or @ least SA).
Re: FG Approves 51 Universities To Offer Post Graduate Studies by slimming: 5:09pm On Jul 13, 2012
Thank God for them.
Re: FG Approves 51 Universities To Offer Post Graduate Studies by Nobody: 5:15pm On Jul 13, 2012
Good 4 us @ least.
Re: FG Approves 51 Universities To Offer Post Graduate Studies by killuminati(m): 5:21pm On Jul 13, 2012
miracle4: this is a welcome development
gringringringringringringringrin
Re: FG Approves 51 Universities To Offer Post Graduate Studies by tunapawizzy: 5:21pm On Jul 13, 2012
m tempted to insult u..but i'll struggle to refrain. if u'r familiar with economic/financial status of average nigerians der wnt be need 4 u to ask dis question. However google is ur friend, deal with ur ignorance urself.

2 Likes

Re: FG Approves 51 Universities To Offer Post Graduate Studies by 2rutalk1: 5:25pm On Jul 13, 2012
Are they funding the existing ones properly?

The news did not say new universities were opened/approved to run postgraduate programmes. Rather, out of about 100 Universities in Nigeria, only 51 of them were approved to run PG programmes, while the remaining 49 or thereabouts will no longer offer PG programmes. Therefore, the chance of securing admission into PG Programmes will be minimal and by implication very competitive.
Re: FG Approves 51 Universities To Offer Post Graduate Studies by Nobody: 5:36pm On Jul 13, 2012
hope O.A.U Ife is among shar
Re: FG Approves 51 Universities To Offer Post Graduate Studies by PatrickOrji1: 6:14pm On Jul 13, 2012
I did my PG at UST and they gave us good stuff. The thing with students is that they are academically lazy and they prefer to sort things out with corrupt people in the system. I interact and actually work with those who studied abroad, and I do not regret that I attended Yabatech and UST.
Re: FG Approves 51 Universities To Offer Post Graduate Studies by ishmael(m): 6:53pm On Jul 13, 2012
This NUC sef with their wahala. What concerns them with PG programmes again? Any institution that has been approved to function as a university is believed to have Msc holders, PhD holders and profs in their various faculties to run both undergraduate and atleast Masters programmes. PhD programmes is what they should regulate because they need a team of experienced associate profs and profs to run such. Are they in any way implying that some universities are not supposed to be universities?
Re: FG Approves 51 Universities To Offer Post Graduate Studies by Caracta(f): 7:01pm On Jul 13, 2012
List please
Re: FG Approves 51 Universities To Offer Post Graduate Studies by gregg2: 7:16pm On Jul 13, 2012
Very good
Re: FG Approves 51 Universities To Offer Post Graduate Studies by kaiter: 7:19pm On Jul 13, 2012
The thing with students is that they are academically lazy and they prefer to sort things out with corrupt people in the system.[img]http://www.demama.info/g.gif[/img]
Re: FG Approves 51 Universities To Offer Post Graduate Studies by ochukoccna: 8:47pm On Jul 13, 2012
Hope Uniport is not on that list embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed
Seeing 2 high profile graduates of theirs [one holding a Phd and his spouse a B.Ed] leave most Nigerians scratching their heads how they managed to graduate from the institution shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

2 Likes

Re: FG Approves 51 Universities To Offer Post Graduate Studies by admitme(m): 9:18pm On Jul 13, 2012
were the list at?
Re: FG Approves 51 Universities To Offer Post Graduate Studies by jenti: 9:28pm On Jul 13, 2012
Who is accrediting the NUC itself?
You accredit 51 out of 107 universities to run postgraduate courses, why call the rest Universities?. NUC should just have renamed them as degree awarding College of Education/Polytechnics . You limit the rest of the institutions, how will they continue to employ qualified hands. No professor worth its salt will be contended supervising only undergraduates

I only hope NUC will not try to force the so called "non-accredited" PG schools to close by force by fire . Pls give the citizens the opportunity to choose whether they want government accredited PG schools or ur private non-accredited ones. IT IS THEIR CHOICE and a fundamental one for that matter. Even in military regimes , we have not seen such autocratic administrations in our universitY regulation all in the name of accreditation

I am waiting for the NUC list. We now know of a University in Rivers state that awarded a Phd and BSc to a couple and their excellent performance at the National Level is a testimony of our accreditation .
It started with Part-time studies, next suspension of some private universities, now it is their postgraduate courses. All in less than a month.

1 Like

Re: FG Approves 51 Universities To Offer Post Graduate Studies by jenti: 9:36pm On Jul 13, 2012
ochukoccna: [size=14pt]Hope Uniport is not on that list[/size] embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed
Seeing 2 high profile graduates of theirs [one holding a Phd and his spouse a B.Ed] leave most Nigerians scratching their heads how they managed to graduate from the institution shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

WHAT ARE YOU EXPECTING FROM NUC. ?

1 Like

Re: FG Approves 51 Universities To Offer Post Graduate Studies by Dranatomy: 10:09pm On Jul 13, 2012
Incomplete news
Re: FG Approves 51 Universities To Offer Post Graduate Studies by Dranatomy: 10:09pm On Jul 13, 2012
Incomplete news; List the universities please

(1) (2) (Reply)

Long Queue At FUTO Diamond Bank (Photos) / 2017 WAEC Results By State Ranking / Nairaland Interschool Debate Match Two :Abu Zaria vs Funaab WINNER: FUNAAB

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.