Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,802 members, 7,820,807 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:11 PM

Marissa Mayer Is Yahoo's New CEO - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Marissa Mayer Is Yahoo's New CEO (4384 Views)

Is Yahoo Mail Down? (Temporary Error 1) / Marisa Mayer Is Pregnant / Is Yahoo Mail Having Problem (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Marissa Mayer Is Yahoo's New CEO by mukina2: 10:37am On Jul 17, 2012
Marissa Mayer, a leading consumer internet executive and one of Google Inc’s (GOOG) earliest employees, will become Yahoo’s (YHOO) new CEO from Tuesday, a surprise pick for the company’s fourth chief executive in less than a year.

Mayer, who joined Google in 1997 as its 20th employee and first female engineer, edged out front-runner and acting CEO Ross Levinsohn for the top spot at the struggling former Internet powerhouse, which continues to loose ground in the search and content business.

Mayer, 37, is a technologist that has managed some of Google Inc.’s most popular products. She is credited for envisioning Google’s famously white search home page, a major selling point for Web surfers, and the way users interacted with Gmail, Google News and Google Images.

David Filo, co-founder of Yahoo, said in a prepared statement: “Marissa is a well-known, visionary leader in user experience and product design and one of Silicon Valley’s most exciting strategists in technology development. I look forward to working with her to enhance Yahoo’s product offerings for our over 700 million unique monthly visitors.”

“The Board of Directors unanimously agreed that Marissa’s unparalleled track record in technology, design, and product execution makes her the right leader for Yahoo! at this time of enormous opportunity,” said Fred Amoroso, Chairman of the Board of Directors.

Mayer received her B.S. in Symbolic Systems and her M.S. in Computer Science from Stanford University, specializing in artificial intelligence for both degrees. She holds several patents in artificial intelligence and interface design.

http://wallstreetpit.com/93805-marissa-meyer-takes-reins-as-yahoo-yhoo-ceo

1 Like

Re: Marissa Mayer Is Yahoo's New CEO by Okijajuju1(m): 10:39am On Jul 17, 2012
Is that so?!! Okay!!

1 Like

Re: Marissa Mayer Is Yahoo's New CEO by amosy007: 11:19am On Jul 17, 2012
wetin con concern me? undecided when are we going to change nairaland management team? grin

2 Likes

Re: Marissa Mayer Is Yahoo's New CEO by abdulkayus(m): 11:31am On Jul 17, 2012
37 years old lady as a top internet company CEO, is dat possible in 9ja? Hmmmmmm, our 9ja gals are busy chasin anytin in guys pocket, una c una life

2 Likes

Re: Marissa Mayer Is Yahoo's New CEO by CLIQBOY(m): 11:34am On Jul 17, 2012
Before you go see girls doing programming in naija..he means say water dom pass garri be dat..na only chatting dem sabi

1 Like

Re: Marissa Mayer Is Yahoo's New CEO by Nobody: 11:38am On Jul 17, 2012
So much achievements at such a tender age. I'm tripping...
Imaging? Computer science, tho wt a diff.
Many 9ja girls na PINGING dem sabi, dem no fit think again, chatting=247steady. Pple wey no sabi write d grammar dem dey use chat down correctly (dont kno diff btw Correct spellings n shorthands), na dem go write PROGRAMS?
Re: Marissa Mayer Is Yahoo's New CEO by ishikaroi(f): 11:39am On Jul 17, 2012
Yup i know this news. also an American business executive.
Re: Marissa Mayer Is Yahoo's New CEO by Nobody: 11:41am On Jul 17, 2012
Okay
Re: Marissa Mayer Is Yahoo's New CEO by maclatunji: 11:41am On Jul 17, 2012
Let us see what she has to offer.
Re: Marissa Mayer Is Yahoo's New CEO by Terry1(m): 11:51am On Jul 17, 2012
Lets hope she stays for more than a year & make a good impact.
Re: Marissa Mayer Is Yahoo's New CEO by Chanchit: 11:54am On Jul 17, 2012
K, i wish her d best of luck...
Re: Marissa Mayer Is Yahoo's New CEO by AjanleKoko: 12:10pm On Jul 17, 2012
Good for Yahoo. They definitely need the shot in the arm.With so many products they are still losing money.
Re: Marissa Mayer Is Yahoo's New CEO by gbokukueba(m): 12:11pm On Jul 17, 2012
And you are there singing young, wild and free...
Re: Marissa Mayer Is Yahoo's New CEO by Seun(m): 12:22pm On Jul 17, 2012
Definitely the first female tech CEO I've ever been excited about. I think she has what it takes to succeed. She's
- Intelligent and a workaholic.
- Worked for the best company in the industry, during its best years, in the most important role (UI).
- Young: can lead Yahoo for decades if she proves to be a good CEO.

The greatest danger is that, due to her abrasive management style, she get fired for offending top executives or directors.
Re: Marissa Mayer Is Yahoo's New CEO by gimbus(f): 12:23pm On Jul 17, 2012
CLIQBOY: Before you go see girls doing programming in naija..he means say water dom pass garri be dat..na only chatting dem sabi

I am a Naija lady who is currently a software developer/systems designer who started in Naija and later relocated. I strongly believe that all Naija ladies have the potential to be anything they want to be and stereotypical comments like yours discourages women from pursuing tech careers.

1 Like

Re: Marissa Mayer Is Yahoo's New CEO by zangiff(m): 12:39pm On Jul 17, 2012
4th change in lee than 12month,it shows yahoo is unstable
Re: Marissa Mayer Is Yahoo's New CEO by Nobody: 12:55pm On Jul 17, 2012
hey Nigerian Men, this shouldn't be an avenue to abuse Nigerian Women but to encourage them.

If Nigerian men start getting creative just like the American owners who founded Yahoo, maybe our sisters, mums, and daughters will also be CEOs of our companies....

In any society, the way women in that society are is a reflection of their men.

So b4 I call my Nigerian woman a money chaser, maybe I should be less greedy as a Nigerian Man in the first place.
Re: Marissa Mayer Is Yahoo's New CEO by ebamma(m): 1:07pm On Jul 17, 2012
yahoo is dead,nobody can revive it,im sure this woman will be sacked before december.
Re: Marissa Mayer Is Yahoo's New CEO by Seun(m): 1:10pm On Jul 17, 2012
gimbus: I am a Naija lady who is currently a software developer/systems designer who started in Naija and later relocated. I strongly believe that all Naija ladies have the potential to be anything they want to be and stereotypical comments like yours discourages women from pursuing tech careers.
Nigerian women have the potential to be good coders. No one disputes that. If they can be bothered to try, they can be good at it. But they are not interested, because sitting in front of a PC all day, trying to solve extremely hard problems that most people can't understand or appreciate, just doesn't seem attractive to most women, compared to the other options available to them. There are exceptions. People like you. I don't think it's such a bad thing to acknowledge the fact that women like you are very rare.
Re: Marissa Mayer Is Yahoo's New CEO by mrperfect(m): 1:17pm On Jul 17, 2012
An interesting news.
Re: Marissa Mayer Is Yahoo's New CEO by LadyGaga1(f): 1:32pm On Jul 17, 2012
First thing to do is to remove all the clusters on Yahoo’s homepage
Re: Marissa Mayer Is Yahoo's New CEO by Ossaifamous(m): 1:42pm On Jul 17, 2012
gimbus:

I am a Naija lady who is currently a software developer/systems designer who started in Naija and later relocated. I strongly believe that all Naija ladies have the potential to be anything they want to be and stereotypical comments like yours discourages women from pursuing tech careers.
speak for yourself my queen .... the others hmm I doubt
Re: Marissa Mayer Is Yahoo's New CEO by DammyFx: 1:53pm On Jul 17, 2012
It Is High Time Yahoo Changes For Good
Re: Marissa Mayer Is Yahoo's New CEO by Parnassuss(m): 2:02pm On Jul 17, 2012
Who the crud was the last CEO?
Re: Marissa Mayer Is Yahoo's New CEO by SisiKill1: 2:09pm On Jul 17, 2012
obo_man: hey Nigerian Men, this shouldn't be an avenue to abuse Nigerian Women but to encourage them.

If Nigerian men start getting creative just like the American owners who founded Yahoo, maybe our sisters, mums, and daughters will also be CEOs of our companies....

[s]In any society, the way women in that society are is a reflection of their men. [/s]

So b4 I call my Nigerian woman a money chaser, maybe I should be less greedy as a Nigerian Man in the first place.

The world has officially tilted off its axis. . .for an [b]OBOMAN [/b]to be the last bastion of common sense on NL!!!! cheesy tongue

On a serious note, thank you for not being the typical Naija man! kiss kiss
Re: Marissa Mayer Is Yahoo's New CEO by SisiKill1: 2:11pm On Jul 17, 2012
Seun:
Nigerian women have the potential to be good coders. No one disputes that. If they can be bothered to try, they can be good at it. But they are not interested, because sitting in front of a PC all day, trying to solve extremely hard problems that most people can't understand or appreciate, just doesn't seem attractive to most women, compared to the other options available to them. There are exceptions. People like you. I don't think it's such a bad thing to acknowledge the fact that women like you are very rare.

Et tu Seun? embarassed
Re: Marissa Mayer Is Yahoo's New CEO by tpia5: 2:13pm On Jul 17, 2012
Lets see how fast gimbus will get banned.

You never halla.

Right after i just commented on this very matter too.
Re: Marissa Mayer Is Yahoo's New CEO by SisiKill1: 2:31pm On Jul 17, 2012
Well, Well, Well. . .what do we have here boys

Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science

How do you like 'em apples? cool

*Insert Evil Laugh here*

Hahahahahahahahaha!!

Exceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelent! cheesy cheesy
Re: Marissa Mayer Is Yahoo's New CEO by KazeKage1: 2:56pm On Jul 17, 2012
CLIQBOY: Before you go see girls doing programming in naija..he means say water dom pass garri be dat..na only chatting dem sabi
DEATH grin grin grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Google Instant Messenger ("Google Talk") / E Book Reader In Nigeria / Splitting A Cell In Excel 2007

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.