Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,830 members, 7,820,911 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:15 AM

Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? (8873 Views)

Only The Ooni Of Ife Can Inherit The Late Ooni’s Widows Says Tradition(pictures) / The Clash Of Tradition And Christianity In Ekukunela / Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? by oiseworld: 12:18pm On Aug 01, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

well then my "devil" must be good and your "God must be bad, considering the fact that you are the guyz who do all the r.aping, massacring and pillaging all the time. .:/

lollzzzz is this all you've got. I can't stop laughing. Become a pagan if you want, nobody is stopping you.

They'll ask for your money first, then kolanuts, then a cock, then your first son, then yourmother or your wife, which ever comes first.( you know we don't live for ever). Then they come for you, by then they already have your soul.they'll keep coming and coming until You're left empty. Then you'l join.

MY ADVICE TO ALL, IF ANY WANTS TO PRACTICE HIS CULTURE WHICH I ENCOURAGE, USE IT TO PROMOTE AND PROCLAIM CHRIST.
HOLD CHRIST FIRST SO YOU KNOW WHEN YOU'RE GOING ASTRAY, LET HIM DICTATE THE EXTENT TO GO,SO THIS PEOPLE WON"T CONTINUE TO DECEIVE YOU UNTIL YOU CAN"T TURN BACK.
I've said mine.
Re: Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:38pm On Aug 01, 2012
oiseworld:

lollzzzz is this all you've got. I can't stop laughing. Become a pagan if you want, nobody is stopping you.

They'll ask for your money first, then kolanuts, then a cock, then your first son, then yourmother or your wife, which ever comes first.( you know we don't live for ever). Then they come for you, by then they already have your soul.they'll keep coming and coming until You're left empty. Then you'l join.

MY ADVICE TO ALL, IF ANY WANTS TO PRACTICE HIS CULTURE WHICH I ENCOURAGE, USE IT TO PROMOTE AND PROCLAIM CHRIST.
HOLD CHRIST FIRST SO YOU KNOW WHEN YOU'RE GOING ASTRAY, LET HIM DICTATE THE EXTENT TO GO,SO THIS PEOPLE WON"T CONTINUE TO DECEIVE YOU UNTIL YOU CAN"T TURN BACK.
I've said mine.

i dont see anything funny in what i said. i am born Pagan. i dont need to become one. By my Gods, i have achieved a lot upto now. i have studied hard and am in the uk now.

DONT THINK M NIgERIAN BROTHERS & SISTERS ARE FOOLS! NOT AL OF THEM. WHY SHOULD THEY BOW DOWN TO SOME MAN THEY HAVE NEVER SEEN OR MET IN THEIR LIFE, AND IN WHOS NAME SO MANY HENIOUS ATTROCITIES HAVE BEEN DONE STOP DECEIVING PEOPLE! I TELL YOU AGAIN. YOU RELIGION IS AN ALL TIME FAIL! angry

IT IS TIME YOU MAKE WAY TO PROGRESS AND DEVELOPMENT IN ALL SPHERES OF LIFE! OR YOU WILL SUFFER. .
Re: Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? by damilarelr(m): 12:51pm On Aug 01, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

exactly!

@damilarelr, WE ARE PAGANS & TRADITIONALISTS! NOT ATHEISTS YOU STINKIN MAN-WORSHIPPER! angry angry

Nobody is worshipping any man here. Maybe you don't know we're solely created to worship Someone who is divine and created all things. Yes I call it abuse because when a man failed to realise this defined responsibility, he goes ahead and worship something created by the Creator. It is of a debased mind to worship mere objects and idols that cannot hear or talk, and far below what man is made of.
Re: Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? by ezeagu(m): 12:59pm On Aug 01, 2012
damilarelr: Yes I call it abuse because when a man failed to realise this defined responsibility, he goes ahead and worship something created by the Creator.

Like Christians who worship Jesus and shower all praises to him even though he isn't the creator or even claimed to be the creator. Oh, but you guys have so many denominations that we can't even know what an individual Christians thinks about the relationship of Jesus to Jehovah.

damilarelr: It is of a debased mind to worship mere objects and idols that cannot hear or talk, and far below what man is made of.

And that's why Christians carry a stake across their neck with a dead man across it and build this image on top of a mountain and pray to it. I wonder if Jesus last words were 'make replicas of my death place and worship the idol'. Let's not forget the many carving of the saints including Mary who some Christians pray to, and let's not forget the many stone monsters and saints carved in rock, marble and solid gold in churches around the world. How humbling.
Re: Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? by rhymz(m): 1:02pm On Aug 01, 2012
oiseworld:

guy your soul is lost, you need a divine intervention. You based all your talk on research and books you've read. Is that all you have. What of those who had gone deep in the scriptures spiritually and have confermation of the truth of christ? If you don't get everything about an issue;seek clearity, and stop spreading falsehood.

Jesus said it and i quote "i have come in my fathers name and ye believe me not; if another comes in his own name yo will believe" john 5:43.
The books you are reading, where they not written by men. Or the God of atheism wrote them. But yet you chose to believe them,quote them and use them against the church. Shouting paul this paul that, were you there? How come you're soo sure of theirs and not of christ's.

Choose this day whom you'll serve, your mind is alredy conformed and hardened.
As for me and my household, we would serve the Lord.
Kid, it will do you good to not begin any responses to my post with insults, trust me you don't want to go there. That being said, it is obvious that all you know about your holy book is the surface, how it came about is obviously not your concern and there, my dear, is where lies the authenticity of whatever claims of hisyorical accounts. And pls before I explain anythimg further to you, don't write to me about some spiritual BS, especially when you have limitations understanding your stance, that does not phase me. Also, whatever I post is in your holybook. I am a "christian" by the way, of course, for convenience reasons not that I believe in the BS they spew.
You quoted the book of John account of what Jesus said, right? Now let me give you a little assignment, go and make a little research on who authored the book of John and the other books of John, all you see is "the disciple whom Jesus loves", is that not funny? In fact, the books of John happens to be the only books that actually gave accounts of Jesus life unlike the copycat sypnotics from Mattew, Mark and Luke who borrowed heavily from eachothers work, who in turn borrowed from Pauls work-note again, this guy Paul, never met Jesus in person.
Now if the identity of the author of John is an unidentified person, why should any serious minded person take his account seriously?
You know nothing about your bible besides the sweet sounding metaphors and religious lingos your pastor dishes out to you during his service of indoctrination. For your information, paul was an impersonator who stole Jesus's shine. Today's Christianity of Grace is Paul's ideology and not Jesus. Paul is the biggest contributor to today's christianity,I repeat.
Re: Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? by oiseworld: 1:13pm On Aug 01, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

i dont see anything funny in what i said. i am born Pagan. i dont need to become one. By my Gods, i have achieved a lot upto now. i have studied hard and am in the uk now.

DONT THINK M NIgERIAN BROTHERS & SISTERS ARE FOOLS! NOT AL OF THEM. WHY SHOULD THEY BOW DOWN TO SOME MAN THEY HAVE NEVER SEEN OR MET IN THEIR LIFE, AND IN WHOS NAME SO MANY HENIOUS ATTROCITIES HAVE BEEN DONE STOP DECEIVING PEOPLE! I TELL YOU AGAIN. YOU RELIGION IS AN ALL TIME FAIL! angry

IT IS TIME YOU MAKE WAY TO PROGRESS AND DEVELOPMENT IN ALL SPHERES OF LIFE! OR YOU WILL SUFFER. .

have you heard of the saying that, If you play with the devil's bre**st, be prepared to return without your hand.

Enjoy the bre**st while it last, when the owner comes for your hand be willing to submit your legs in addition. You don't know anything.
Re: Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? by kayusbrown(m): 1:31pm On Aug 01, 2012
Billyonaire: Certain religion answer the boldened questions.
Yes they have their answers but if you read my post carefully you'll see that I was referring to VERIFIABLE answers and not just answers.
Re: Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? by rhymz(m): 1:31pm On Aug 01, 2012
And by the way kid, Christ as I know from the bible did not write any book, most of what you read in the bible are personal accounts that came much later after his death. Paul took advantage of Jesus's death knowing how the Jews saw him as the promised messiah( not in the Pauline sense) that will come and establish the kingdom of God on earth. Paul with his knowledge of Egypt, Greek mythology about gods like Osiris, Zeus, Baal etc and the jewish traditions fused everything together and started preaching against jewish laws which were the Laws Jesus once told the pharisees that he had come to fulfil and not destroy.
I will like to take a quote from Nafata Bamaguje a briliant African Traditionalist who has written extensively on this subject:
This is utterly incomprehensible to we “pagan” African traditionalists for whom exemplary good conduct is mandatory for ascension to the higher spiritual dimension in the afterlife where as deified ancestors we become one with our creator. In traditional African spirituality, there’s no free ticket or short cut to “heaven”. Belief in some fairy-tale man-god does not substitute for good conduct and cannot make up for wicked sinful life. On the other hand there is no everlasting burning torture in hellfire by a cruel vindictive deity (Allah, Yahweh). Those who are not good enough for heavenly deification are reincarnated and given another opportunity. Herein lies the significance of African names like Babatunde, Yetunde, Nnanna, Ekaete, Magaji all of which are rooted in the African concept of reincarnation.
Re: Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? by thoth: 1:45pm On Aug 01, 2012
oiseworld:

TO HELL WITH YOUR EKUMEKU, oyibo boy.
Tell me why you're better,smarter and wiser than our fore fathers. They were colonized here on their own soil, look at urself went to france to get re-colonized. When will you discover the truth for yourself? How am i sure you won't join another band wagon for a third colonization.

As any body asked why the whites colonized us? Why didn't our fathers colonize them. Why is it this way and not the other way round? They didn't teach that in school shee? Or you never asked?

Light will always supercede darkness, thats why. Your paganism was ment to fall and it did. Tell me what the white men did after they knew your gods, they never bowed down to worship them No! Hey took your graven images to their museums as show, and mockery, and what did your gods do.

Nathin!! they followed sheepishly into showglasses for maximum entertainment. Lolzzzzzzz.

Get your act right Jesus is the way. i do not knowhow the colonization was done,maybe mild or gentle, but i've made my choice.
you made a good example of the kind of filth that erupts from and indoctrinated mind, the whites colonizing our nation was because they are light and we darkness ? See how much you have hated your own image so much that you can spew such infamy and still roam around without a second thought. Next time boko haram bombs you just know that they are the light and you are darkness. The african man is really in deep trouble.
Re: Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? by oiseworld: 1:56pm On Aug 01, 2012
rhymz: Kid, it will do you good to not begin any responses to my post with insults, trust me you don't want to go there. That being said, it is obvious that all you know about your holy book is the surface, how it came about is obviously not your concern and there, my dear, is where lies the authenticity of whatever claims of hisyorical accounts. And pls before I explain anythimg further to you, don't write to me about some spiritual BS, especially when you have limitations understanding your stance, that does not phase me. Also, whatever I post is in your holybook. I am a "christian" by the way, of course, for convenience reasons not that I believe in the BS they spew.
You quoted the book of John account of what Jesus said, right? Now let me give you a little assignment, go and make a little research on who authored the book of John and the other books of John, all you see is "the disciple whom Jesus loves", is that not funny? In fact, the books of John happens to be the only books that actually gave accounts of Jesus life unlike the copycat sypnotics from Mattew, Mark and Luke who borrowed heavily from eachothers work, who in turn borrowed from Pauls work-note again, this guy Paul, never met Jesus in person.
Now if the identity of the author of John is an unidentified person, why should any serious minded person take his account seriously?
You know nothing about your bible besides the sweet sounding metaphors and religious lingos your pastor dishes out to you during his service of indoctrination. For your information, paul was an impersonator who stole Jesus's shine. Today's Christianity of Grace is Paul's ideology and not Jesus. Paul is the biggest contributor to today's christianity,I repeat.

clapp for yourself you tried, you have contributed as much as your brain could carry you.
Now,matthew, mark, luke, john all were Jesus disciples and they gave account of what they saw and knew. Every one according to that much. Jesus had twelve disciples, some time he went with 3,4,5 or the whole twelve. I believe john was with him most of the time. Probably why he withnessed more.
Paul on the other hand Yes, was not with christ in his life time, but he had an encounter with him. A life changing one. He was a lawyer and understood the scripture well. Using it against the church. Just like you're doing now. After conversiin he had a better understanding and revelation of the scriptures. Much better than the rest. He never took christ shine, Jesus was his lord,mentor and saviour.
Be ye followers of me, even as i am of christ. 1 cor 11:1

How could paul have preached grace without the cross. How could it be his ideology. On what foundation was grace layed if not on christ. Brother take time.

Paul was educated and had a wider and better picture of the cross. The reason his understanding,zeal and his ability to disseminate the scripture.
Re: Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? by oiseworld: 2:04pm On Aug 01, 2012
thoth:
you made a good example of the kind of filth that erupts from and indoctrinated mind, the whites colonizing our nation was because they are light and we darkness ? See how much you have hated your own image so much that you can spew such infamy and still roam around without a second thought. Next time boko haram bombs you just know that they are the light and you are darkness. The african man is really in deep trouble.

na who be dis one? Has racism eaten up your brain dat much that at any mention of white and black, light and darkness, all that comes to your mind is skin colour.
Oga go sidon abeg! Serve ur juju, no one is holding you.
Re: Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? by oiseworld: 2:47pm On Aug 01, 2012
rhymz: And by the way kid, Christ as I know from the bible did not write any book, most of what you read in the bible are personal accounts that came much later after his death. Paul took advantage of Jesus's death knowing how the Jews saw him as the promised messiah( not in the Pauline sense) that will come and establish the kingdom of God on earth. Paul with his knowledge of Egypt, Greek mythology about gods like Osiris, Zeus, Baal etc and the jewish traditions fused everything together and started preaching against jewish laws which were the Laws Jesus once told the pharisees that he had come to fulfil and not destroy.
I will like to take a quote from Nafata Bamaguje a briliant African Traditionalist who has written extensively on this subject:
This is utterly incomprehensible to we “pagan” African traditionalists for whom exemplary good conduct is mandatory for ascension to the higher spiritual dimension in the afterlife where as deified ancestors we become one with our creator. In traditional African spirituality, there’s no free ticket or short cut to “heaven”. Belief in some fairy-tale man-god does not substitute for good conduct and cannot make up for wicked sinful life. On the other hand there is no everlasting burning torture in hellfire by a cruel vindictive deity (Allah, Yahweh). Those who are not good enough for heavenly deification are reincarnated and given another opportunity. Herein lies the significance of African names like Babatunde, Yetunde, Nnanna, Ekaete, Magaji all of which are rooted in the African concept of reincarnation.

quoting another mans book, so you believe that one too and not the bible? Whose tale was he writing about,it suits your thinking thats why you believe it. John 5:43

Yes jesus didn't write any book, his disciples did. He didn't come to write books,he came to die. To die, To die, To die, To die..... Continue repeating it until it sinks into yourmind. that you may have life and have it abundantly. JOHN 10:10

CONCERNING HELL,
tell that you paganist writer that hell is not ment for him, its ment for the devil and his angels. But he can choose to go there if he wants to, or if he allows the devil to take him there. No one can see God without holyness.

Revelation 21:27: 27 And there shall in no wise enter into it any thing that defileth, neither [whatsoever] worketh abomination, or [maketh] a lie: but they which are written in the Lamb's book of life.

Hebrews 12:14: 14 Follow peace with all [men], and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord:

soo, you make the choice.
Re: Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? by damilarelr(m): 3:20pm On Aug 01, 2012
@Poster,
I'll encourage you to check back with the church you worship, the basic truth of Christianity is that it is not a religion in any ways. In fact, Jesus Christ came to destroy all forms of religious activities because it's taken the place of God in people's lifes.

So also Christianity should become your way of life, not something you practise only when you see a member of your church. By this you will find every replacement to all traditions of men as you continue to search into God's word. May God help you.
Re: Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? by damilarelr(m): 3:33pm On Aug 01, 2012
@Poster,
I'll encourage you to check back with the church you worship, the basic truth of Christianity is that it is not a religion in any ways. In fact, Jesus Christ came to destroy all forms of religious activities because it's taken the place of God in people's lifes.

So also Christianity should become your way of life, not something you practise only when you see a member of your church. By this you will find every replacement to all traditions of men as you continue to search into God's word. May God help you

ezeagu:

Like Christians who worship Jesus and shower all praises to him even though he isn't the creator or even claimed to be the creator. Oh, but you guys have so many denominations that we can't even know what an individual Christians thinks about the relationship of Jesus to Jehovah.

And that's why Christians carry a stake across their neck with a dead man across it and build this image on top of a mountain and pray to it. I wonder if Jesus last words were 'make replicas of my death place and worship the idol'. Let's not forget the many carving of the saints including Mary who some Christians pray to, and let's not forget the many stone monsters and saints carved in rock, marble and solid gold in churches around the world. How humbling.

Bros, all what you just said are the religious practices I wrote about. Religious activities will never bring anyone close to God, except salvation. A true believer in God through Christ whom God the Father sent to the rescue of man from sin and death will never idolise any man or object or image of a thing. The reason why Christians pray to God in Jesus is because that's the only way to God..Jesus is our mediator in heaven, our advocate before God who pleads our cause each time we mess up as a mortal man.

What you said is particular to the Catholic church, although nowadays some of them are changing these practices.

Bros, if you pull the trigger of a gun and it doesn't shoot, it doesn't make the gun useless, all you need is to load it with bullet. If Christianity seems like religion to you, maybe you're looking at the wrong places.
Re: Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? by rhymz(m): 3:34pm On Aug 01, 2012
oiseworld:

clapp for yourself you tried, you have contributed as much as your brain could carry you.
Now,matthew, mark, luke, john all were Jesus disciples and they gave account of what they saw and knew. Every one according to that much. Jesus had twelve disciples, some time he went with 3,4,5 or the whole twelve. I believe john was with him most of the time. Probably why he withnessed more.
Paul on the other hand Yes, was not with christ in his life time, but he had an encounter with him. A life changing one. He was a lawyer and understood the scripture well. Using it against the church. Just like you're doing now. After conversiin he had a better understanding and revelation of the scriptures. Much better than the rest. He never took christ shine, Jesus was his lord,mentor and saviour.

How could paul have preached grace without the cross. How could it be his ideology. On what foundation was grace layed if not on christ. Brother take time.

Paul was educated and had a wider and better picture of the cross. The reason his understanding,zeal and his ability to disseminate the scripture.
hahahahah. . You are a dumb kid parroting overusefd fallacy. The author of the book of Matthew is not the Matthew of Jesus's desciples any claim to such is based on pure assumptions and not fact.
Neither is Mark a disciple of christ nor is look. .lmao. .you sound lame walahi.
Go and read Matt 10:2-4 for the names of the twelve disciples of Christ. Haahahaha. . I can't believe that with all your boastful religious sermon, you will call Mark and Luke disciples of Christ or authoritatively claim that the Book of Matthew was written by Mattew the tax collector . . Lol. . If you want to argue with your superiors, make sure you have the I.Q and you can back up your claims with verifiable facts, Dumbo!
Re: Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? by rhymz(m): 3:34pm On Aug 01, 2012
oiseworld:

hahahahah. . You are a dumb kid parroting overusefd fallacy. The author of the book of Matthew is not the Matthew of Jesus's desciples any claim to such is based on pure assumptions and not fact.
Neither is Mark a disciple of christ nor is look. .lmao. .you sound lame walahi.
Go and read Matt 10:2-4 for the names of the twelve disciples of Christ. Haahahaha. . I can't believe that with all your boastful religious sermon, you will call Mark and Luke disciples of Christ or authoritatively claim that the Book of Matthew was written by Mattew the tax collector . . Lol. . If you want to argue with your superiors, make sure you have the I.Q and you can back up your claims with verifiable facts, Dumbo!
Re: Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? by Chylo(m): 3:35pm On Aug 01, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

give me proof that we killed twins you cowardly slave mentality man-worshipping, cannibalistic slave! angry angry

useless brainwashed by missionaries & greedy pastors. . angry tongue

My friend don't be deluded, most of what you call culture are steeped in demon worship and satanism. Killing of twins is a historical fact, unless ur the one that has been brainwashed. The bible says you should not worship any craven image, wat does "tradition" say?

You cannot serve two masters. I have no problem with you wanting to serve Sango, but please and please, don't mix that with Christianity. Thank you.
Re: Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? by ezeagu(m): 3:35pm On Aug 01, 2012
My point is that Jesus isn't just a mediator, he is literally worshipped and praised, instead of the main God.
Re: Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? by rhymz(m): 3:54pm On Aug 01, 2012
oiseworld:

quoting another mans book, so you believe that one too and not the bible? Whose tale was he writing about,it suits your thinking thats why you believe it. John 5:43

Yes jesus didn't write any book, his disciples did. He didn't come to write books,he came to die. To die, To die, To die, To die..... Continue repeating it until it sinks into yourmind. that you may have life and have it abundantly. JOHN 10:10

CONCERNING HELL,
tell that you paganist writer that hell is not ment for him, its ment for the devil and his angels. But he can choose to go there if he wants to, or if he allows the devil to take him there. No one can see God without holyness.

Revelation 21:27: 27 And there shall in no wise enter into it any thing that defileth, neither [whatsoever] worketh abomination, or [maketh] a lie: but they which are written in the Lamb's book of life.

Hebrews 12:14: 14 Follow peace with all [men], and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord:

soo, you make the choice.
You are an eeeediot that knows very little about the religion you are parroting in utter ignorance. You are no different from those suicide bombers with extremist views about their religion. Show me any of the books claimed to have been written by Jesus's disciples that is not a subject of intense debate amongst bible scholars, bible historians and theologians?
The fact is this, none of the disciples took part in writing any gospels in the new testament and The Epistles of James, Peter, John and Jude are clearly pseudonymous and were written by church leaders who had no personal acquaintance with Jesus or his disciples.
Go and figure it out and stop throwing temper tantrums like a kid possessed by Ogbanje.
Re: Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? by damilarelr(m): 4:35pm On Aug 01, 2012
ezeagu: My point is that Jesus isn't just a mediator, he is literally worshipped and praised, instead of the main God.

Yeah, I understand you.
I will like you to read from this page.

http://www.gotquestions.org/is-Jesus-God.html
Re: Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? by Ptolomeus(m): 4:50pm On Aug 01, 2012
oiseworld:

i can't believe what i just read, whats happening on this page. You all claim you're wiser than your fathers that dropped the traditional way of life for christianity.
Too know will not kill you guys.

You can not serve God and mamon. I have always said it that thecatholic church, if they do not change their way of worship would continue to produce more atheist and pagans. A life time is not enough to completely know God and his ways, for they are new every morning. Is that when i will begin to do sacrifices to an image or run after masquerades.

This is what poor upbringing does to a child. The Bible says train up a child in the way it should go, and when he is old, he would not depart from it.

As for you the joker above. God will not allow you.

That which you criticize, you can be the result of:
1. The wrong approach to Islamic and Christian.
2. Economic abuse the merchants of religion have had on Africa.
3. Underestimating that Europeans and Arabs have done (and do) of Africans.
3. Awareness of many Africans, the true value of their own culture and traditions.
What is it that bothers you so much paganism?
You, like the Arab and European slavers, you want there only Christianity or Islam?
This is a very nazi disrespectful towards ... your ancestors and siblings ... absolutely totalitarian and out of place.
Upgrade yourself and respect others.
My respects
Re: Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? by rhymz(m): 4:54pm On Aug 01, 2012
damilarelr:

Yeah, I understand you.

If Jesus is God in Flesh then who is the in heaven that he always referred to? Am sure you must have heard of the very confusing trinity doctrines; is Jesus Christ a distinct personality from God and the Holyspirit? Christians that explain this whole Jesus is God concept always end up confusing themselves. If he is God, is he of thesame kind of God with his Father. And at some point, one is thought that God himself is a spirit, then where cometh the holy spirit or is it a case of using words interchangeably? Explain it to us in simple understandable terms and see if you wont suffer the risk of contradicting and confusing yourself in the end.
Re: Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? by ezeagu(m): 5:49pm On Aug 01, 2012
damilarelr:

Yeah, I understand you.

And here is where Christians show themselves up. There are those among you who do not believe Jesus to be God. There is nowhere in the bible Jesus claimed to be God or the same as God.
Re: Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? by oiseworld: 9:22pm On Aug 01, 2012
Ptolomeus:

That which you criticize, you can be the result of:
1. The wrong approach to Islamic and Christian.
2. Economic abuse the merchants of religion have had on Africa.
3. Underestimating that Europeans and Arabs have done (and do) of Africans.
3. Awareness of many Africans, the true value of their own culture and traditions.
What is it that bothers you so much paganism?
You, like the Arab and European slavers, you want there only Christianity or Islam?
This is a very nazi disrespectful towards ... your ancestors and siblings ... absolutely totalitarian and out of place.
Upgrade yourself and respect others.
My respects
rhymz: hahahahah. . You are a dumb kid parroting overusefd fallacy. The author of the book of Matthew is not the Matthew of Jesus's desciples any claim to such is based on pure assumptions and not fact.
rhymz: You are an eeeediot that knows very little about the religion you are parroting in utter ignorance. You are no different from those suicide bombers with extremist views about their religion. Show me any of the books claimed to have been written by Jesus's disciples that is not a subject of intense debate amongst bible scholars, bible historians and theologians?
The fact is this, none of the disciples took part in writing any gospels in the new testament and The Epistles of James, Peter, John and Jude are clearly pseudonymous and were written by church leaders who had no personal acquaintance with Jesus or his disciples.
Go and figure it out and stop throwing temper tantrums like a kid possessed by Ogbanje.
rhymz: hahahahah. . You are a dumb kid parroting overusefd fallacy. The author of the book of Matthew is not the Matthew of Jesus's desciples any claim to such is based on pure assumptions and not fact.

Cheiiii ! SEE MUSCLEEEEEEEEE ! ! !

Foooooollllllllssss ! ! So you know who wrote the bible. Quoting it whenever necessary to suit your daft and selfmade gods.
CONGRATULATIONS , you three are official foollss. So matthew , mark, paul, and luke where not jesus disciples. How come i am?

I don't give a darm who wrote the books, its whats in the book am concerned about.
Go and worship your wood,cement,tree,stone and all that sorts.

James 1:22: 22 But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.

And who among u called himself my superior? superior in what,in the bible sheee. Congratulations,paul did the exact same things you're all doing now only to end up preaching about whom he prosecuted.
Re: Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? by babamann(m): 9:33pm On Aug 01, 2012
as far as i know jesus and god is white and we the black ppl are bad and devilish - open una mind, in fact i watch the discovery channel and was amazed that these names the bible has are all ancient greek names, were they greeks or a community of people who have lived all over the world trying to control them, for black history- read about the nubians and you will see that all values and traditions xtians use now were from them, and yes nubians were egyptians, embrace your traditions and beliefs nigerians,- europeans, chinese and indians do so happily, so why cant we, the government of china are triads, ppl say they are a gang but, in fact they are traditionalist who kept discipline through traditional values within their people to become the fifth world super power, all over the world, there are indian and chinese communities celebrating their traditions, how about us nigerians? in london here, when chinese new year comes in january or feb, the chinese man gives out food and drink for free, having a happy day, why cant we have nigeria day, its because we are trying to be something we are not, we were of the NOK empire, us nigerians, we reigned supreme over africa next to the egyptians till these people used our kind tradition for weakness, you might call our tradition useless but personally i would prefer our values to the christian or muslim traditions, they were just lookinh to take from us because were they come from is so gloomy and dry, from when we start respecting one another instead of callin each other black devil, we will prosper, a man who dont know where he is from, dont know were he is going
Re: Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? by rhymz(m): 11:09pm On Aug 01, 2012
oiseworld:

Cheiiii ! SEE MUSCLEEEEEEEEE ! ! !

Foooooollllllllssss ! ! So you know who wrote the bible. Quoting it whenever necessary to suit your daft and selfmade gods.
CONGRATULATIONS , you three are official foollss. So matthew , mark, paul, and luke where not jesus disciples. How come i am?

I don't give a darm who wrote the books, its whats in the book am concerned about.
Go and worship your wood,cement,tree,stone and all that sorts.

James 1:22: 22 But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.

And who among u called himself my superior? superior in what,in the bible sheee. Congratulations,paul did the exact same things you're all doing now only to end up preaching about whom he prosecuted.
Now that I have come know your low I.Q level, it will be sheer wickedness on my part to continue to stretch your lame brain beyond its limits. You are already showing signs of psychosis from the dogshiiiit you are posting and cursing your miserable parents in an uncontrolled fit of anger like a raving lunatic. I am very sure that Christians with knowledge of the bible here know that you are a dolt, you are a disgrace to christian, you dont even know who Jesus's disciples were and you want to have an intellectual debate with your superiors. Go and read your books and prepare for Jamb, you are obviously a high school drop out that is out of his depth. This is my last reply to you unless you show some intelligence in your argument which is highly unlikely.
Re: Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? by afm4ever(m): 11:16pm On Aug 01, 2012
@poster u can not serve two masters at a time a word is enough for the wise
Re: Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? by ezeagu(m): 11:28pm On Aug 01, 2012
And when you're your own master, you have no problem.

2 Likes

Re: Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? by WuzilistiQ(m): 11:43pm On Aug 01, 2012
odumchi: For some time I've been wondering whether or not Christianity should prohibit us from fully partaking in our tradition and cultural heritage.

For example, I know people who are blessed with a rich cultural background but fail to partake in many of their people's practices because (as they put it) "such things are meant for pagans".

Must being Christian mean that our traditions and cultural practices must die? Was it not God that inspired us with our identity and such methods of self-preservation?

I'm also asking because this affects me. I am a Christian, but I don't believe that that should mean the traditions of my people should be ignored. Although this isn't really a problem in my area (since we have healthy attitudes towards cultural preservation), I would like to hear your opinions on it.

As for myself, I plan to join three of the masquerade and secret societies (ekpo, ekpe, and okonko) of my hometown. Does being a Christian mean that an Obosi man cannot partake in egwugwu, a Calabar man in ekpe, or an Ife man in divination?

Nairalanders give me your opinions!

The Traditional lifestyle is one you cannot totally avoid like the traditional marriage, wrestling, yam and corn festival (the food is optional) because nowadays they dont have much to do other than to bless it without calling fetish names again.......but that of the Masquerade can be avoided because of its direct worship of man made gods @OP ''person no suppose tell u that one'' and amongst the listed its just Traditional marriage thats the must do and the only problem it has is when it comes to the part of puring out drinks to their so called gods (Libation) and in most cases people don't do that again, so if ur a true christian u need to know wat to enjoy and not things that will put ur faith into SHAME
Re: Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? by damilarelr(m): 11:47pm On Aug 01, 2012
ezeagu:

And here is where Christians show themselves up. There are those among you who do not believe Jesus to be God. There is nowhere in the bible Jesus claimed to be God or the same as God.

You're so right about the disunity in Christiandom regarding the concept of Trinity and diety of Christ, but I can tell you that Jesus is a divine being based on what the Bible says according to the site I mentioned earlier. Talking about TRINITY, I will try my best to make it clear enough..

The Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are 3 different personalities, coequal, coeternal members of the Godhead - the God most people refer to. When you say God, you're talking about 3 different personalities, yet the same one Person, true, and eternal God.

At creation, He said, "Let Us make man in Our image", God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit worked together here. Mind you, God is not expressed in 3 forms or parts but 3 different people so united that they form one true and eternal God.

A good analogy is water: the ice form, liquid form, and steam form are all the same water because they have the same formula and similar characteristics but different effects on our senses. Now assume the three forms of water are existing together in just one form - that is the nature of the Godhead: the God the Holy Spirit, God the Father, and God the Son
coexisting.

The Spirit of God (the Holy Spirit member of the Godhead) was the One hovering the surface of waters at creation. The three Hebrew boys trust God (Godhead) when thrown into fire by the king of Babylon, and God the Son showed up to rescue them from the fire. God the Father appeared to Moses when he saw a finger writing the Ten Commandments on tablets of stone. The same God the Father was the One who talked to Abraham.

Just imagine God as 3 different personalities (the Godhead) but one person at the same time..the God we talk about everyday.

1 Like

Re: Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? by oiseworld: 11:54pm On Aug 01, 2012
rhymz: Now that I have come know your low I.Q level, it will be sheer wickedness on my part to continue to stretch your lame brain beyond its limits. You are already showing signs of psychosis from the dogshiiiit you are posting and cursing your miserable parents in an uncontrolled fit of anger like a raving lunatic. I am very sure that Christians with knowledge of the bible here know that you are a dolt, you are a disgrace to christian, you dont even know who Jesus's disciples were and you want to have an intellectual debate with your superiors. Go and read your books and prepare for Jamb, you are obviously a high school drop out that is out of his depth. This is my last reply to you unless you show some intelligence in your argument which is highly unlikely.

bark as much as you can, and argue as much as you want. Doesn't change any thing. You're a fool like the bible class your type. Go worship your inanimate objects spoon,metal,water, stone,snakes and all kinds of animals its you whahala.

For your information, i am seperated from the gods of my fathers,their rituals,their curses and all their evil deeds. I've been redeemed by the Blood of one far greater than their graven images.
Go get a life.

And may you find Peace.
Re: Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? by Nobody: 12:57am On Aug 02, 2012
Obviously that wasn't the point, the point is that being Christians doesn't give you any divine privileges over an atheist or pagan.
Also, we all know there are majority Christian and Muslim countries in Africa doing worse than Nigeria.

My own ‘point’ is the problem isn’t Islam or Christianity as this thread is trying to depict, if a country cannot come up with good policies to govern it’s people, then it’s bound to fail. There are also pagan cultures that have concocted unimaginable atrocities as well. I made mention of [i]majority [/i]because your initial post and prior comments came across as if the ills of this world lay on these religion s only, where as there are other major factors to consider. The Yorubas can be Christians or Muslims. They show that these two religions can actually exist and live together.

england and usa were built on the auspices of enslavement, mass Genocide and colonialsim. do you want Nigeria to do that too. do you want us to stoop so low

Every nation, tribe, ethnic group has gone through stages. Even the English people were enslaved under Roman rule. America too had to fight to gain their independence. That is life, empires rise and fall. I can bet your own ethnic group has enslaved another ethnic group, taken slaves, sold slaves and even massacred its own race. So stop acting as if Africans were and are innocent. People like you, in a bid to promote a cause end up becoming fanatics. This is how those muslim terrorists started.

Saudi Arabia hahahaha! give me a million years and i would still not want to live there. and anywas, there are only 3-4 developed cities there. the rest of the country, mark my words, is as it was in the 14th Century.
UAE is doing well. however only 10% of the entire population are local natives. the rest 90% are expatriates. if people from the other nations suddenly decide to pack up and leave, it is going to be back to camels and tents. .

Still doesn’t refute the fact that the primary religion there is Islam. And economically they are doing fine in comparison to Nigeria. A lot of Nigerians go there, even if you don't want to go. Christianity and Islam are not the problem.

infact all of Africa is doing bad, save for South Africa. but then again, South Africa is a nearly colonial country. the whites are the rich guyz in their 1000-acres farms and huge houses, while the native Zulu, Xhosa, etc, are dumped in poverty. just take a walk through Kwa-Zulu Natal, and the stench of the slum dwellings will bring you back to reality. .

So returning to African religions would stop corruption, tribalism, stop NEPA from taking light and everything else that plagues Nigeria? Lolllll. Africa’s problems lie in lack of proper governance, not because people have refused to carry masquerade and dance all over the village. Look at Mugabe, going the 'modern' 'traditional' route of kingship, that is clutching leadership position till he dies there, never to give room for other people to rule.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Origin Of Common Nigerian Pidgin Words (i.e., Igbo, Yoruba, Or Hausa) / How To Count Form 1-20 In Edo/ Bini Language / Do We Actually Need English Names

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 143
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.