Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,622 members, 7,820,205 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:19 AM

How To Be An Adult - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / How To Be An Adult (1103 Views)

When Last Did You Cry As An Adult And Why? / Have You Ever Gotten Lost As A Kid Or Even As An Adult? / Have You Ever POO POO On Ur Body As An Adult? Share Your Experience (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Be An Adult by ODB1: 11:53am On Jul 21, 2012
I had to write this piece because of a very ugly trend I have just began to notice among the not-so Young people of Nigeria.

The dependencies are off the roof! A married man still gets help from his father.

Average age of graduates at around 27-30yrs? WTF? And the same slow bloomer can't get a job without daddy's help. Daddy even had to influence his/her NYSC posting.

You will think those that were schooled abroad will be better off but No. They still suckle from mummy for everything.

What is wrong with you people?

These dependent diaper generation are always limited to people with a upper-middle class and upper class background.
With all the help they have had in life they seem not able to start life solely on their own.
Why?
Emeka saved every penny he made serving his master, began his own business in a small shop which he slept in for years and when finally he saved enough to start a major distribution business, society will begin to wagg their tongues that he is into drugs, 419 and rituals?

You Niggaz better grow the phuck-up!
Re: How To Be An Adult by ODB1: 12:16pm On Jul 21, 2012
Get Your Money On:

This translates to getting a sustainable income through a paid job, business set up or whatever is legally acceptable. Having a ton of cash waiting for you when daddy finally kicks the bucket does not count as you will become a heir apparent a55hole and will not contribute sh1t to this world but accumulate receipts.
Re: How To Be An Adult by ODB1: 12:19pm On Jul 21, 2012
Get Your Independence:

This should have come before getting money but since most of you will complain and b1tch-excuse talk yourself about how hard it is to start life, I will suggest you get a job first. Now that you have gotten a job, you will need to severe any ties with people that have naturally given you a leg up since you were born. Better yet get as far away from them as you can both physically and emotionally.
Re: How To Be An Adult by ODB1: 12:24pm On Jul 21, 2012
Get Your Emotions in check:

Yes at one time it might have been cool to air your grievances aloud about so and so and what who and what did to you that is not so cool or crap that teenagers and tweebies usually do but being an adult also comes with the ability to keep your sh1t close at heart and also not come out as a cold socio-path.

And also get off that fake website that makes you think that the world revolves round you. If you are not posting cool pictures of yourself in some dangerous country having a blast as a civil war goes on in the background, no one wants to see it!
Re: How To Be An Adult by ODB1: 12:29pm On Jul 21, 2012
Know the difference btw good s3x and love:

This is a tricky one. Am guessing you are in your late 20's early 30's and by now you would have been either recoiling from a heartbreak or worse yet like me start slowly regretting all the tonnage of a55 you have had.

Well, love isn't for everyone and chances are (given how true love can be so elusive) that you may never ever get the person of your dreams thats why I purposely made the post above before this.

S3x can be great but it can also kill you or wreck your future if you by any chance (like moi) have kids with the very wrong person.

As for love, I know next to sh1t about this but I truly want to believe that you need to like the person you intend to love.
Re: How To Be An Adult by ODB1: 12:34pm On Jul 21, 2012
Read, Travel and explore your world:

Ok by this time, you should have been financially stable, emotionally ok and maybe within the grasp of finding true love or are comfortable with whatever you have got going on.

Now is the time to do some adventure, you can afford it even if it's on a shoe string budget, you are young and not a famous celeb. The locals will not notice if you haven't had shave or you keep wearing the same combat shorts and greasy black T-Shirt.

Go with a friend you truly like or if you have that special person go along with him or her.

This is the only time you will truly have the ability to live life without a care of reporting to your parents or kids back home.
Re: How To Be An Adult by ODB1: 12:48pm On Jul 21, 2012
Trim the uselessness:

These are what we mistake as friends. As an adult you should be able to spot bullsh1t a mile away. People will come into your life for a variety of reasons; work, play and occasional freebees.

Get rid of them. The only true friends will be those you are comfortable discussing with on your own level not some make believe persona.

To elaborate more on this, I have several acquaintances that know me on different levels. Some figure me as a walking-talking encyclopedia (am a smart dude by the way) others see me as the party guy who may have some drugs on him or will definitely deliver on several rounds of beer in the watering hole.

I still have them with me but they don't know where I stay and only a fraction have my number.

Your childhood friends are a sure bet. They were real to you back then and will be able to spot any negative deviation in your life and will offer good advice and caution.
Re: How To Be An Adult by ODB1: 12:51pm On Jul 21, 2012
Settle in your own space:

You have that job, that apartment and that special person you gave a spare key.

Do it to your taste and budget and you will find going out a bore and plain routine. Snuggle up with her and watch a movie or something in place of going to the club on Friday night. On the bright side you will save yourself a ton of money and will be healthier for work by Monday.
Re: How To Be An Adult by ODB1: 12:56pm On Jul 21, 2012
Set a goal

And I DON'T mean getting a new car or gadget but something substantial that will impart quality in your life. Once you have achieved that you will be amazed at several ideas which will begin to naturally flood your adult brain.

Good luck!

Re: How To Be An Adult by rash47(m): 2:45pm On Jul 21, 2012
Nice, elaborative indeed

(1) (Reply)

Who Are You? A Bucket-carrier Or A Pipeline Builder? / 15 Signs That Confirm You’re A Typical Nigerian / Liltunechi's Thread Of Random Pics.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.