Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,537 members, 7,823,344 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:57 AM

Fire Guts Gbenga Okunowo 's Home In Ibadan - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Fire Guts Gbenga Okunowo 's Home In Ibadan (12083 Views)

Fire Guts NFF Office PICTURE / Former Barcelona Defender Gbenga Okunowo Loses Everything In Fire Outbreak / Kogi-born Gbenga Arokoyo Set To Join Swedish Club. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fire Guts Gbenga Okunowo 's Home In Ibadan by topeorekoy(m): 10:43am On Jul 22, 2012
An early Sunday morning fire has razed to the ground the Ibadan duplex of ex-Barcelona and Eagles star Gbenga Okunowo.

A pathetic Okunowo himself told MTNFootball.com that his house was completely razed to the ground by a fire coming from the NEPA office premises next door to his house on Ring Road in Ibadan.

“My whole house is gone. Even the clothes, boxers and slippers I’m wearing now were given to me by friends,” he lamented.

“My passport, my European residence papers, my medals and trophies, all my belongings in the house were lost to the fire, which started around 2.30 am on Sunday from the NEPA compound next to my house.

“I’m lucky that no one was injured from this fire. I had to escape from the fire for me to still be alive today

“I am still in a big shock, but I have contacted my lawyers to know what next to do.”

The former Barcelona of Spain fullback further told MTNFootball.com he estimates that what he lost is worth over 80 million Naira.

MTNFootball.com checks showed that the entire upstairs of the house of the house was destroyed, while about 10 cars in the NEPA compound were also burnt completely apparently from a canteen in that compound.

Okunowo, a right back with attacking drive, recently returned to the Nigeria Premier League (NPL) with Sunshine Stars, but will later be dropped by the Akure club.

He featured for Nigeria at the 2000 Africa Cup of Nations jointly hosted by Nigeria and Ghana, where the Eagles were beaten in the final by arch-rivals Cameroon.

He also represented Nigeria at U17 and U20 levels.

http://www.mtnfootball.com/africa/nigeria/news/2012/july/22-fire-razes-down-okunowos-house.html

Re: Fire Guts Gbenga Okunowo 's Home In Ibadan by Sagamite(m): 5:42pm On Jul 22, 2012
I hope he has some form of insurance sha.
Re: Fire Guts Gbenga Okunowo 's Home In Ibadan by Nobody: 5:50pm On Jul 22, 2012
Nepa don buy market!

1 Like

Re: Fire Guts Gbenga Okunowo 's Home In Ibadan by Nobody: 5:51pm On Jul 22, 2012
So sad.
Re: Fire Guts Gbenga Okunowo 's Home In Ibadan by Nobody: 5:51pm On Jul 22, 2012
NFF and all those organisations that immortalise heroes post-humously, please, for once......
Re: Fire Guts Gbenga Okunowo 's Home In Ibadan by IyfeNamikaze(m): 5:56pm On Jul 22, 2012
undecided i thought trophies were supposed to be ketp at the club's trophy cabinet??
Re: Fire Guts Gbenga Okunowo 's Home In Ibadan by Henries: 5:56pm On Jul 22, 2012
Sorry o bros bt sm olofofo 4 ladun liadi blogs wey sabi d house d house wella say e no worth reach 80million bt anyway congrat na ur yahoo b dt bro,PHCN don buy igbese.

1 Like

Re: Fire Guts Gbenga Okunowo 's Home In Ibadan by Ninilowo(m): 5:57pm On Jul 22, 2012
Soo sad for GBENGA. Another ex-international in distress.
Re: Fire Guts Gbenga Okunowo 's Home In Ibadan by Nobody: 5:58pm On Jul 22, 2012
Una see wetin NEPA don cause? Sorry bros for the loss! The lord is ur strength. SMH!
Re: Fire Guts Gbenga Okunowo 's Home In Ibadan by strangest(m): 6:00pm On Jul 22, 2012
Hey yahh, sorry bro.. try grab NEPA sharply before the privatization.. cos the new owners may not inherit their liabilities
Re: Fire Guts Gbenga Okunowo 's Home In Ibadan by browsingguru: 6:03pm On Jul 22, 2012
thats serious
Re: Fire Guts Gbenga Okunowo 's Home In Ibadan by alaoeri: 6:08pm On Jul 22, 2012
Eyah so sorry, pray u recover all the lost very soon.
Re: Fire Guts Gbenga Okunowo 's Home In Ibadan by Nobody: 6:08pm On Jul 22, 2012
I hope he gets compensation from PHCN......All his life is gone...
Re: Fire Guts Gbenga Okunowo 's Home In Ibadan by marvel10: 6:09pm On Jul 22, 2012
My preference is for a detached home. I don't like these houses built on a single plot with no trees or shrubs. Obviously substandard building materials would have played their part too. No fire extinguishers, fire doors, fire retardent fabrics on sofas and curtains etc It is amazing how quickly the average Nigerian house burns to the ground.
He should invest in a CHUBB safe for important docs, jewelry and cash in the future.

2 Likes

Re: Fire Guts Gbenga Okunowo 's Home In Ibadan by AlabaSlim: 6:11pm On Jul 22, 2012
Henries: Sorry o bros bt sm olofofo 4 ladun liadi blogs wey sabi d house d house wella say e no worth reach 80million bt anyway congrat na ur yahoo b dt bro,PHCN don buy igbese.
#80m include properties & d said buildin

1 Like

Re: Fire Guts Gbenga Okunowo 's Home In Ibadan by Sagamite(m): 6:13pm On Jul 22, 2012
1supremo: NFF and all those organisations that immortalise heroes post-humously, please, for once, heed the plea of a living legend.

No 1, he is not a living legend.

No 2, this is none of NFF's business.

2 Likes

Re: Fire Guts Gbenga Okunowo 's Home In Ibadan by Henries: 6:15pm On Jul 22, 2012
@marvel10,u neva even build ordinary 1 shop u dey form architect.abeg park well mk beta pple talk jooooooo
Re: Fire Guts Gbenga Okunowo 's Home In Ibadan by andyanders: 6:21pm On Jul 22, 2012
why say about 80 million for 6 bedroom home with his property? Maybe he does not know the value of property these days.
It is a pity, but he should have waited for the house to be evaluated first before giving such figure.

PHCN, make haste and rebuild another house for him and also pay him compensation. Instead of you people to give light you decided to only give your own residential quarters light. I wish it was their own personal property that was destroyed.
Go to Egbin PHCN in Ikorudu, Lagos State and see how their staff live a luxury life with state of art cars and for over[b] 30 yrs,[/b] they have no interruption of light in their own staff quarters.
Re: Fire Guts Gbenga Okunowo 's Home In Ibadan by Dainfamous: 6:22pm On Jul 22, 2012
berem: Una see wetin NEPA don cause? Sorry bros for the loss! The lord is ur strength. SMH!
is dat ur pix kiss kiss
Re: Fire Guts Gbenga Okunowo 's Home In Ibadan by Afam4eva(m): 6:22pm On Jul 22, 2012
Did a Nigerian ever play forr Barrcelona??
Re: Fire Guts Gbenga Okunowo 's Home In Ibadan by tjadeba(m): 6:30pm On Jul 22, 2012
afam4eva: Did a Nigerian ever play forr Barrcelona??

Yes Gbenga Okunowo and Emmanuel Amuneke... and at one time Haruna Babangida (Tijani's kid brother)
Re: Fire Guts Gbenga Okunowo 's Home In Ibadan by Nobody: 6:32pm On Jul 22, 2012
That's why I scan all my documents and upload them to my safe email address, about which nobody knows anything.
Re: Fire Guts Gbenga Okunowo 's Home In Ibadan by scopusng(m): 6:33pm On Jul 22, 2012

Yes, Gbenga Okunowo and Emmanuel Amunike. How old are you please?

1 Like

Re: Fire Guts Gbenga Okunowo 's Home In Ibadan by Afam4eva(m): 6:38pm On Jul 22, 2012
scopusng:

Yes, Gbenga Okunowo and Emmanuel Amunike. How old are you please?
I'm 5 Sir.

1 Like

Re: Fire Guts Gbenga Okunowo 's Home In Ibadan by JideTheBlogger(m): 6:41pm On Jul 22, 2012
afam4eva:
I'm 5 Sir.

Lol....you are not supposed to be on Nairaland then. grin grin
Re: Fire Guts Gbenga Okunowo 's Home In Ibadan by Princek12(m): 6:43pm On Jul 22, 2012
Iyfe Namikaze: undecided i thought trophies were supposed to be ketp at the club's trophy cabinet??

there are collective trophies, and there are individual trophies
Re: Fire Guts Gbenga Okunowo 's Home In Ibadan by IleIfe2(m): 6:45pm On Jul 22, 2012
"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1YsiyR4wC0?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param

Emmanuel Amunike Barcelona Vs George Finidi Real betis

1 Like

Re: Fire Guts Gbenga Okunowo 's Home In Ibadan by Nobody: 7:00pm On Jul 22, 2012
YES.. I remembered when he joined barca some years ago and after the regular LALIGA season he was back in Nigeria for his vacation,then a journalist interviewed him in his ibadan duplex.. One of the questions thrown to him then was.. GBENGA why do you hardly feature for the first eleven.. He replied,cos the coach knows am good and does not want me to get injured
Re: Fire Guts Gbenga Okunowo 's Home In Ibadan by otokx(m): 7:14pm On Jul 22, 2012
Does the guy know what N80m looks like?
Re: Fire Guts Gbenga Okunowo 's Home In Ibadan by chucky234(m): 7:15pm On Jul 22, 2012
Iyfe Namikaze: undecided i thought trophies were supposed to be ketp at the club's trophy cabinet??

Mumu-maga maga
Re: Fire Guts Gbenga Okunowo 's Home In Ibadan by Afam4eva(m): 7:41pm On Jul 22, 2012
ogbeche77: YES.. I remembered when he joined barca some years ago and after the regular LALIGA season he was back in Nigeria for his vacation,then a journalist interviewed him in his ibadan duplex.. One of the questions thrown to him then was.. GBENGA why do you hardly feature for the first eleven.. He replied,cos the coach knows am good and those not want me to get injured
Lol very funny.
Re: Fire Guts Gbenga Okunowo 's Home In Ibadan by Soflex(m): 7:51pm On Jul 22, 2012
JideTheBlogger:

Lol....you are not supposed to be on Nairaland then. grin grin

lmao...... grin u guys fit kill person. Sorry bro Gbenga.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Emmanuel Emenike May Be Jailed For 3 Years For Faking Injury / Liverpool Battle Chelsea Over FC Porto’s Alex Telles / Enyimba Stand By Banned Captain, Austine Oladapo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.