Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,229 members, 7,822,188 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 08:06 AM

Unity Bank Retires 500 Workers - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Unity Bank Retires 500 Workers (9339 Views)

BVN Deadline: See The Long Queue At Unity Bank Auchi For Bank Verification NO. / CBN Begins Restructuring Of NSPMC, Retires Directors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Unity Bank Retires 500 Workers by MurphyT1: 4:55pm On Jul 24, 2012
Unity Bank Plc Monday said about 500 members of its staff will proceed on retirement, in line with a programme aimed at reinvigorating its workforce.

The bank also said that about 389 members of staff in various departments were promoted while salary increments by way of notches were also given to another 1,855.

A statement from the bank explained that the move was aimed at raising productivity and competitive position in the industry. “With the implementation of the programme, the bank has announced staff promotions, retirements and will embark on new recruitments to fill vacancies,” it said.

The statement also revealed that while a Deputy General Manager was promoted General Manager, two others Deputy General Manager and five others to the position of Assistant General Manager.

It explained further: “Three members of staff were elevated to the position of Principal Manager, nine to Senior Manager Position, six to Manager status, while those promoted to the ranks of Deputy Manager and Assistant Manager altogether number 54. Other staff in the rank of Senior Banking Officer, Banking Officer, Assistant Banking Officer and Executives also benefitted from the promotion exercise.

“Of the number proceeding on retirement one each are in the rank of General Manager and Deputy General Manager and an Assistant General Manager while others are of various categories In carrying out the retirement, the bank worked in co-operation with all the stakeholders including the Association of Senior Staff of Banks, Insurance and Financial Institutions (ASSBIFI) to ensure industrial harmony,” it added.

Unity Bank also stated that the affected workers would be paid their terminal benefits, gratuity, and other entitlements.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/unity-bank-retires-500-workers/120726/#.UA7EGGut7sw.twitter
Re: Unity Bank Retires 500 Workers by acidtalk: 9:48pm On Jul 24, 2012
Calling my sweet heart to find out if it didn't affect her but she aint picking.

God! In as much as I believe the aim of every business owner is to make profit by whatever means. My heart still goes out to those involved in this tragedy.

God is your strength.

This is for every Employee, Grduate, Undergraduate, youth Corper and anyone who wants a better life.

https://www.nairaland.com/987784/a-z-entrepreneur-all-need-know

The earlier you start the better.

1 Like

Re: Unity Bank Retires 500 Workers by casestudy: 9:50pm On Jul 24, 2012
choi!!!!!! chineke!!!!!!! which kain thing be dis?
Re: Unity Bank Retires 500 Workers by globaljobs(m): 9:50pm On Jul 24, 2012
Retirement is one of the realities of life.

That is why the best way to earn money is to join a business where members make money through collaboration and teamwork.

That kind of synergy results in ever growing income and you will never again be afraid of retirement, redundancy, re-structuring, or any other language used to tell you that you're out of a job.

1 Like

Re: Unity Bank Retires 500 Workers by clemmonce(m): 9:51pm On Jul 24, 2012
base on what i was taught bein retired is better than being sacked so it is gud news
Re: Unity Bank Retires 500 Workers by Nobody: 9:51pm On Jul 24, 2012
500 workers ke! E no too much? How many left in the bank and yet there will be no recruitment? SMH!
Re: Unity Bank Retires 500 Workers by Jarus(m): 9:55pm On Jul 24, 2012
It's a reality. Let the retirees go and start business with their retirement benefits/gratuities.
Re: Unity Bank Retires 500 Workers by Nobody: 9:56pm On Jul 24, 2012
Its crazy! The global economy is getting worse by the day where layoffs is becoming the order of the day! CISCO is planning to layoff 1300 employees in the US also, after they cut around 10,000 jobs last year.
Re: Unity Bank Retires 500 Workers by doofanc: 10:05pm On Jul 24, 2012
you guys would do well to read properly before commenting. The article said retirement, not sack or lay-off. These are people are have been in the system for quite some time; for some eg the GM, it could be over two decades.. If after all these time they've not planned for their retirement, then it unfortunate.

“Of the number proceeding on retirement [b]one each are in the rank of General Manager and Deputy General Manager and an Assistant General Manager whil[/b]e others are of various categories In carrying out the retirement, the bank worked in co-operation with all the stakeholders including the Association of Senior Staff of Banks, Insurance and Financial Institutions (ASSBIFI) to ensure industrial harmony,” it added.
Re: Unity Bank Retires 500 Workers by ypzilanti: 10:06pm On Jul 24, 2012
Hope they paid them benefits. This is the side effects of capitalism, but in better countries they make sure the severed staff are paid benefits except the company is going bankrupt.
Re: Unity Bank Retires 500 Workers by acidtalk: 10:11pm On Jul 24, 2012
doofanc: you guys would do well to read properly before commenting. The article said retirement[b][/b], not sack or lay-off. These are people are have been in the system for quite some time; for some eg the GM, it could be over two decades.. If after all these time they've not planned for their retirement, then it unfortunate.

Mr Grammarian.

They can retire a man who is just 2days old on a job.
Every entity is free to use whatever language that best suit it in laying off its staff, either retrnchment, layoff, disengaged, sack, or downsizing.

The bottom line is they tossed some people off their pay list and requested they drop their I.D card and other company property in their possession.

Wake up dude.
Don't believe in all those words you read in your Economics, Business Studies and Law books. They no longer apply in the rugged and wicked world of today.

It is all about Survival of the fittest.
Either your boss sacks you or you sack him, one day one day sha, na one go sack the other.
Re: Unity Bank Retires 500 Workers by drealsirhid: 10:13pm On Jul 24, 2012
ypzilanti: Hope they paid them benefits. This is the side effects of capitalism, but in better countries they make sure the severed staff are paid benefits except the company is going bankrupt.

Wait o,so unity bank is still operating banking services in Nigeria??.....just suprised anyway, tought they r long dead grin

1 Like

Re: Unity Bank Retires 500 Workers by badboy: 10:31pm On Jul 24, 2012
I'm wondering why this bank will call up an entry-level staff working in Port Harcourt on a Sunday to resume in Benin next day, that she has been transferred.......happened to my sibling's fiancee. She cried her eyes out throughout Sunday...very sad.
Re: Unity Bank Retires 500 Workers by acidtalk: 10:35pm On Jul 24, 2012
badboy: I'm wondering why this bank will call up an entry-level staff working in Port Harcourt on a Sunday to resume in Benin next day, that she has been transferred.......happened to my sibling's fiancee. She cried her eyes out throughout Sunday...very sad.

But at leaset still better she didn't cry her heart out that she has lost her job.

Sho pe ti e.
Re: Unity Bank Retires 500 Workers by DANILSA(m): 10:49pm On Jul 24, 2012
By the time dis banks finish only God knows how many people will still remain there. Forget the language they use its all the same. Have they stayed 35 years in the system? God help all. My uncle now has bp cus of fear.
Re: Unity Bank Retires 500 Workers by Nobody: 10:54pm On Jul 24, 2012
DANILSA: By the time dis banks finish only God knows how many people will still remain there. Forget the language they use its all the same. Have they stayed 35 years in the system? God help all. My uncle now has bp cus of fear.

And this comes at a time we are informed about an increase in year-on-year profit?

Nigeria Unity Bank H1 pre-tax profit rises 63 pct
Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:05pm GMT Print | Single Page [-] Text [+]
LAGOS, July 23 (Reuters) - Nigeria's Unity Bank said on Monday its pre-tax profit for the first half of the year rose 63.61 percent to 3.53 billion naira ($21.84 million), compared with 2.15 billion naira in the same period last year.

Unity Bank's gross first half earnings jumped to 25.93 billion naira, from 20.99 billion last year, the bank said in a filing with Nigerian Stock Exchange. Unity shares were flat at 0.50 naira per share on Monday.

($1 = 161.65 naira) (Reporting by Oludare Mayowa; Editing by Joe Brock)
Source
Re: Unity Bank Retires 500 Workers by oche419: 10:59pm On Jul 24, 2012
This will certainly create room for the thousands of graduates out there in the labour market. It was FirstBank last month and now it is Unity Bank. These old skool banks are getting rid of 'old cargoes' that refuse to adequately develop themselves over the past years. How can you work for nearly 30 years without at least acquiring a HND?
If they have worked for years without developing themselves in terms of educational qualifications, then they should set up a businesses with their terminal benefits in order to survive. The yardstick used for this retirement/retrenchment is lack/inadequate self development and non performance on the job.
Re: Unity Bank Retires 500 Workers by Nobody: 11:04pm On Jul 24, 2012
engineerd: Its crazy! The global economy is getting worse by the day where layoffs is becoming the order of the day! CISCO is planning to layoff 1300 employees in the US also, after they cut around 10,000 jobs last year.

That one is small. HSBC would have laid off 30,000 of their staff by 2013. i.e 5,000 has been axed already, then the remaining 25,000 in 2013.

RBS is closing down its risky investment banking division to focus on core banking and its expected to lay off 10,000. That would increase headcount to 24, 000 starting from 2008.

Lloyds TSB would have sacked 30,100 by the end of 2012, started from 2008.

There are also many other big coop. laying off staffs that I can't remember now. Hard times.
Re: Unity Bank Retires 500 Workers by mkoabiola: 11:26pm On Jul 24, 2012
acidtalk:

Mr Grammarian.

They can retire a man who is just 2days old on a job.
Every entity is free to use whatever language that best suit it in laying off its staff, either retrnchment, layoff, disengaged, sack, or downsizing.

The bottom line is they tossed some people off their pay list and requested they drop their I.D card and other company property in their possession.

Wake up dude.
Don't believe in all those words you read in your Economics, Business Studies and Law books. They no longer apply in the rugged and wicked world of today.

It is all about Survival of the fittest.
Either your boss sacks you or you sack him, one day one day sha, na one go sack the other.
U av said it all,ur post make sense ,I feel u so much,dose affected will tell u tru meaning.retired without benefit.
lol.na n9ja we de ooo.anywords can b use.
Re: Unity Bank Retires 500 Workers by OkikiOluwa1(m): 12:02am On Jul 25, 2012
Hm! Unity Bank, pls gv ds pple a beta retirement benefit.
Re: Unity Bank Retires 500 Workers by DammyFx: 2:01am On Jul 25, 2012
There combines efforts should be able to fight for good retirement benefit's
Re: Unity Bank Retires 500 Workers by tobiloba82: 3:38am On Jul 25, 2012
this is a confirmed story. my best friend was retained but one of his colleague axed. just love the concerned guy trying to get over it as soon as possible.
as i continue to grow up, i continue to understand why we need to save for the rainy day. i continue to understand that no "laulau". Na oily hand people dey help follow lick. this is the time the retired staff will know people that truly love them.
For me, aha, "i don learn he don tey"
Re: Unity Bank Retires 500 Workers by Cyberconnect12: 6:00am On Jul 25, 2012
engineerd: Its crazy! The global economy is getting worse by the day where layoffs is becoming the order of the day! CISCO is planning to layoff 1300 employees in the US also, after they cut around 10,000 jobs last year.
Re: Unity Bank Retires 500 Workers by emsquare(m): 7:23am On Jul 25, 2012
globaljobs: Retirement is one of the realities of life.

That is why the best way to earn money is to join a business where members make money through collaboration and teamwork.

That kind of synergy results in ever growing income and you will never again be afraid of retirement, redundancy, re-structuring, or any other language used to tell you that you're out of a job.

On point!
Re: Unity Bank Retires 500 Workers by Murphy7h4: 7:46am On Jul 25, 2012
Good job!
Re: Unity Bank Retires 500 Workers by mrperfect(m): 8:05am On Jul 25, 2012
Well is retirement not sack.
Re: Unity Bank Retires 500 Workers by Welder(m): 10:26am On Jul 25, 2012
oche419: This will certainly create room for the thousands of graduates out there in the labour market. It was FirstBank last month and now it is Unity Bank. These old skool banks are getting rid of 'old cargoes' that refuse to adequately develop themselves over the past years. How can you work for nearly 30 years without at least acquiring a HND?
If they have worked for years without developing themselves in terms of educational qualifications, then they should set up a businesses with their terminal benefits in order to survive. The yardstick used for this retirement/retrenchment is lack/inadequate self development and non performance on the job.

What nonsense are you spewing from your mouth. Listen dude, dont come on here and say crap about old cargoes and the affected staff not developing themselves, thats bull...and totally false. Get your facts right and stop talking trash. angry

Like someone mentioned, its all out war, supervisors are recommending this people for sack/retirment or whatever jargon they label it with. Its really sad because majority of this people been axed bled the best part of their lives for this banks. Anyways... we all need to look internally and create other avenues for revenue generation... My 2kobo
Re: Unity Bank Retires 500 Workers by Welder(m): 10:28am On Jul 25, 2012
globaljobs: Retirement is one of the realities of life.

You got any leads on this brother? care to share with us...
Re: Unity Bank Retires 500 Workers by EMPERORZIMUS: 11:43am On Jul 25, 2012
Its only in Nigeria you serve(work) your country or company with loyalty and good mind dat the employers repay with tears its too badt and gej is planning to by too hundredz of cars for first lady summit ooooooooo GOD plz change our leaders and bosses amen.
Re: Unity Bank Retires 500 Workers by otokx(m): 1:06pm On Jul 25, 2012
How this bank manages to survive still baffles me?
Re: Unity Bank Retires 500 Workers by odehme: 2:26pm On Jul 25, 2012
its well in Nigeria
Re: Unity Bank Retires 500 Workers by oche419: 9:27pm On Jul 25, 2012
Welder:

What nonsense are you spewing from your mouth. Listen dude, dont come on here and say crap about old cargoes and the affected staff not developing themselves, thats bull...and totally false. Get your facts right and stop talking trash. angry

Like someone mentioned, its all out war, supervisors are recommending this people for sack/retirment or whatever jargon they label it with. Its really sad because majority of this people[b] been axed bled the best part of their lives for this banks.[/b] Anyways... we all need to look internally and create other avenues for revenue generation... My 2kobo
So supervisors will inform HR that staff have worked for 30 years with SSCE and therefore recommend their termination? And the staff have been axed bled the best part of their lives for FREE abi? You better take your emotions else where.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Heritage Bank Safe And Sound, Says Sekibo / Dangote In Competition Trouble As Ibeto Cement Reopens / Shocking News! Bankphb Sacks Over 1,000 Staff

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.