Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,487 members, 7,819,762 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:43 PM

My Ordeal With "One Chance Fraudsters" This Morning - Nairaland / General (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / My Ordeal With "One Chance Fraudsters" This Morning (19902 Views)

See The Snake That Was Killed This Morning In My Area / My Ordeal With Nigeria Immigration Officers / True Life Story: My Ordeal With An Alien/Demon/Witch (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Ordeal With "One Chance Fraudsters" This Morning by Abujafood: 2:18pm On Jul 26, 2012
OP, you were silly to have chased after them for N100, what if they had something to hurt you with like a gun?
Re: My Ordeal With "One Chance Fraudsters" This Morning by tellwisdom: 2:19pm On Jul 26, 2012
And why dis kind tin never happen to me make i even kill person..To kill dey hungry me and those men wont be a bad idea sad angry
Re: My Ordeal With "One Chance Fraudsters" This Morning by Odunnu: 2:21pm On Jul 26, 2012
Same kinda story all the time. These fraudsters cant change
Re: My Ordeal With "One Chance Fraudsters" This Morning by polokor60(m): 2:21pm On Jul 26, 2012
enitan2002: 100% of these cases occur in a private car. The first precaution in avoiding this scenario is never to board a private cab especially those without NURTW registered color ones. This is not a matter of being prayerful, once you ain't greedy and not looking forward to making millions overnight without sweating, then you can never fall into trap of these fraudsters. When its too good to be true, then it must be quickly be discarded.
you have said it all
Re: My Ordeal With "One Chance Fraudsters" This Morning by SisiKill1: 2:30pm On Jul 26, 2012
After death. . . or rather being killed for ritual, the second worst thing that can happen to someone is losing their BB Torch.

Glad to see we are defining things well.
Re: My Ordeal With "One Chance Fraudsters" This Morning by Akpunwa(f): 2:35pm On Jul 26, 2012
@ The guy asking their mode of operation in Aba, It's usually not with taxi but someone asking for direction to a non existent address. There's always a second party that will come and show sympathy for the 'asker'. People are now streetwise in Aba so they've kinda stopped and moved to other cities.
I can't remember the number of times I've encountered them. 4X in Aba and once in Owerri, Uyo and Umuahia. Same old story! I wonder why people still fall for their lame story.
My story next...
Re: My Ordeal With "One Chance Fraudsters" This Morning by sexyglow(f): 2:40pm On Jul 26, 2012
gegee: dem dey abj o around airport junction, jabi and utako area i don enter 2 times thesame old crappy story i'll be shocked if anybody ever falls for that
Even in AYA junction
Re: My Ordeal With "One Chance Fraudsters" This Morning by Nobody: 2:43pm On Jul 26, 2012
2goodbobo: I have been in such situation repeatedly in Abuja along Airport road. They (one chance) are so daft that they can think of changing their line of stories! Mine was very similar to yours. The driver was accusing a guy at the back seat of stealing huge sums of money and threaten to take him to the police after seeking for my opinion. The guy said he stole the money from his Master in Ghana who was in to rituals. In my mind I knew is all a gimmick to either brainwash me or use me for Rituals. Hold up was my rescue that day. I sharply opened the door and alighted from the Car. They (one chance) sensing I was going to draw attention, drove off as fast as James bond could. Till today, I keep wondering the skill of the driver in manipulating the Traffick!

Exactly same thing happened to me in Utako Abuja. I boarded a cap from Arab bus stop to Berger, there were two people in the car already apart from the driver, one in the passenger's seat and the other in the back, so I joined seating in the back. As we passed the traffic light at Arab, the driver started their useless never changing story of a bag filled with money kept inside the booth by one passenger he dropped before picking me. He said he went back to the spot where the passenger alighted but could not find him and so they have decided to share the money and I was very lucky to part of it. The man seated beside me said it is possible there is a charm placed on the money and it will be better they find a spiritualist to remove the charm, the driver and the man seated in front agreed with him and said they knew a spiritualist along airport road. As the discussion was going on all this while, I kept quiet and composed knowing fully well the kind of people they were, at once I just said to the driver like a command, "driver, stop here!" As he stopped, I alighted and slammed the door. he sped off very fast as if he was being chased
Re: My Ordeal With "One Chance Fraudsters" This Morning by Detongue: 2:54pm On Jul 26, 2012
O'boy, e b like say u borrow dis story
Re: My Ordeal With "One Chance Fraudsters" This Morning by Akpunwa(f): 3:03pm On Jul 26, 2012
The most hilarious happened like 10 yrs ago in Uyo. It was my first visit to Uyo. I just stopped a bike on alighting at the park and told him my destination. As soon as the okada sped off, some guy flagged him down (of all the empty bikes around o). The guy showed okadaman an address scribbled on a piece of paper. He opened a big polythene bag clasped to his chest with the other hand and mehn see money in bundles!
He begged the man to take him to the address so that thieves wont snatch the bag from him (I started smiling deep inside). The okadaman vex tell am say im carry passenger now and advised him to call another bike. He moved like 10m from the guy and pleaded that we help the man...that I should allow him sit behind me and after taking him to the address in the neighbourhood, he'll take me to my destination free. Nnaa see balls of fire from my eyes...I shouted that if he didn't stop the bike, I would give him a blinding slap. He stopped immediately, I came down, his cohort ran up to him and they sped off.

2 Likes

Re: My Ordeal With "One Chance Fraudsters" This Morning by ldpele(m): 3:19pm On Jul 26, 2012
hmmm,lagosians,will they ever stop this?? It is wa oooo
Re: My Ordeal With "One Chance Fraudsters" This Morning by handmaid: 3:24pm On Jul 26, 2012
i was once a victim myself. Actually, their charm worked on me, @least to an extent,sadly though.

It was 2005 or so in Benin, at Ring road. I was walking when a haggard looking man walked up to me and said that someone had just come into the Country with lots of money and he needed help with the counting. Dumb story! But i don't know y i fell 4it. Beliv me, it wasn't greed. We joined a taxi to New Benin. Bt he made sure we stopd b4 d last bus stop like he was avoidn some people. We walked thru a shortcut to Okhoro bus park. On getting to okhoro, close to Holy Spirit Catholic Church, he led me to a house where we met a man.

Dat was d 2nd phase.

D man asked me how much i had. Said i didnt hv much. They brought some papers, dipped it in a bucket of water mixed wt some chemicals. When retrieved, d papers had turned to money! I was like 'cud dis be 4real?'' their story was dat they needed more moni 2buy d chemical and dat if i contributed, we wud all share d 'fake' money. It was then i began to recover. Told dem i didnt have money and they reluctantly let me go after much futile persuasion
Re: My Ordeal With "One Chance Fraudsters" This Morning by Akpunwa(f): 3:27pm On Jul 26, 2012
The encounter in Owerri was long before universal banking thingy started. I had gone to collect money on mum's behalf from a partner.
I collected the money and headed to the park to board a bus home. A young man walked up to me (on Douglas/Mbaise road if u know Owerri) asking for direction to Eke-onunwa Hospital that he's been trying to locate a doctor he supplied surgical instruments running into miilions of naira. I was past listening cos I knew instantly. Without uttering a word, I crossed to the middle of the road (it's a double carriage way) and continued walking to Rotobi park closeby. From the corner of my eyes, I saw a guy (his cohort) cross the road with me, tagging behind and asking me to pity the guy and help him as he's been stranded the whole day. Immediately he made to touch me, I shouted "satan get ye behind me!" lol.
Na so they leave me o.
Years later when I got to know Owerri fairly well, I discovered the hospital does not exist.

1 Like

Re: My Ordeal With "One Chance Fraudsters" This Morning by Super1759: 3:34pm On Jul 26, 2012
Abujafood: OP, you were silly to have chased after them for N100, what if they had something to hurt you with like a gun?
please mind your words.wasn't silly either.if am silly.I would have fallen for them
Re: My Ordeal With "One Chance Fraudsters" This Morning by adetunrayo(f): 3:44pm On Jul 26, 2012
same thing happened to me few years back along akure - ilesha rd. i was coming back from school then.i was at akure garage initially, but ilesha bus was not getting full on time, when i decided to stand beside the express. not long later a car stopped by, calling ilesha,all men. that got me scared at 1st, but i later said within me, nothing dey happen and we moved. later they started the same line of story.

it was my 1st experience, i initially thought they were real until they started talking about going to one herbalist at akure that my mind told me these are 419s or ritualist. thank God when i told them to stop the car that i am not interested in sharin anything that they did.

i swore i will never enter any vehicle not from the garage again.
Re: My Ordeal With "One Chance Fraudsters" This Morning by Akpunwa(f): 3:45pm On Jul 26, 2012
In one of the encounters in Aba, a young man walked up to me and started blabbing that after serving his master for ten years, he just died the previous week. Prior to his death, he had stashed money (hard currency) away in a box in the house to be used in 'settling him or setting him free' to start his own business. The only snag was that the late man's wife was insisting he should bring anyone related to him as a witness that he's been settled and he had only two days to make the claim.
He lamented that he's an orphan and the only child. The closest relative who could help was in Gabon and cannot make it at such short notice. He promised he would give a portion of the money.
I quietly started preaching to him to stop scouting people for rituals and do sth better with his life...I was still talking and the guy just left me & slipped into the crowd.

1 Like

Re: My Ordeal With "One Chance Fraudsters" This Morning by handmaid: 3:55pm On Jul 26, 2012
grin grin grin
Re: My Ordeal With "One Chance Fraudsters" This Morning by Fin9(m): 4:05pm On Jul 26, 2012
Akpunwa: The encounter in Owerri was long before universal banking thingy started. I had gone to collect money on mum's behalf from a partner.
I collected the money and headed to the park to board a bus home. A young man walked up to me (on Douglas/Mbaise road if u know Owerri) asking for direction to Eke-onunwa Hospital that he's been trying to locate a doctor he supplied surgical instruments running into miilions of naira. I was past listening cos I knew instantly. Without uttering a word, I crossed to the middle of the road (it's a double carriage way) and continued walking to Rotobi park closeby. From the corner of my eyes, I saw a guy (his cohort) cross the road with me, tagging behind and asking me to pity the guy and help him as he's been stranded the whole day. Immediately he made to touch me, I shouted "satan get ye behind me!" lol.
Na so they leave me o.
Years later when I got to know Owerri fairly well, I discovered the hospital does not exist.
happened to one of my room mates during my IMSU days. He was accosted along Douglas road when he went to lodge in money for his dad. Lost huge amount of money. He even travelled home to Orlu to still bring money from the family business coffers. Lol at Eke Onunwa hospital. No such thing is existent. Till today, he doesn't oblige when asked for direction by a stranger. I pity a lost fellow who dares asks him for directions.
Re: My Ordeal With "One Chance Fraudsters" This Morning by Akpunwa(f): 4:10pm On Jul 26, 2012
A man shared this gist in Lagos as we were discussing this in a bus.
. . .
He was just strolling in his neighbourhood (around the military era when things were hard). A guy of about the same age with him, coming in the opposite direction broke into huge smiles, hailing him. Shouting 'how far? You did not change at all since primary school days'. They stood there by the road exchanging pleasantries. He askEd about the whereabouts of Chinedu, Chidi, Emeka (all common names) and they just they gist they go. The man smelled sth fishy and asked him the pri sch they attended together na so the guy evade the question begin talk about how he is doing well with John in Europe. The man complained about being hard up with the situation of things in the country. The wayo guy promised it would be a thing of the past as he came down with his Eoropean friends who had links in the Embassy.
The man sensing he was a fraudster asked that they go to a beer parlour beside to gist well. He gulped bottles of star and meat join while playing along. He asked for where to pee, excused himself from the wayo guy and vanished from the back of the house.
We laughed in the bus eh dey hail the man for his sharpness.
Re: My Ordeal With "One Chance Fraudsters" This Morning by sugardaddy1(m): 4:19pm On Jul 26, 2012
OP, thank God for your life but you fall my hand for running after them just because of 100 naira.
I encountered them at Efurrun round about in 2001. It was around 5pm and I was heading towards Benin City. As I didn't want to waste any time waiting for the taxi loading at the park,I moved a bit away from the park and stood along the highway leading to Benin. In less than 2 mins, there was this private cab with a man at the front seat and another at the back. I entered and joined the man at the back seat. A few metres away, there was a fat man who flagged down the cab and was picked up as well. So, we became five in the vehicle with me sitting in the middle at the back seat. Immediately we passed the first police check point leading out of warri towards sapele, the driver started threatening to drop the young man I met in the cab earlier, saying his fare was short of 50 naira. I had paid my complete fare and as the argument became intense, I offered to pay the 50 naira on behalf of the man (which I did) and that calmed the situation. Thereafter, the driver pulled over abruptly, alighted from the vehicle and said we all should bring our bags so he puts them in the trunk of the car. But as mine was very light, I refused and told him I was okay having it on my laps. He then snatched that of the fat man sitting by the door without giving him any opportunity to say if he was okay with it at the back seat or not. He then made for the boot of the car only to raise an alarm that he saw some huge amount of money in some of the luggage belonging to the young man I had paid the N50 for earlier. Before I could react, the driver had jumped into the car, made a u-turn heading back into warri, theatening to take the young man to the nearest police station at the same time. As this was going on, I thought to myself, why did the driver suddenly make a u-turn without regards to my opinion? If actually there was money in the trunk of the car, all occupants of the car could be arrested and branded criminals or made to explain their involvement in whatever gave rise to the money, etc, etc. All these thoughts happened within 30 seconds and then, with all the strength and boldness in me, I shouted at the driver to "drop me here, now"!. Like magic, the driver pulled over instantly on the highway and I had to push the fat man, who was already looking hypnotized, before we could both get out of the car. The driver zoomed off with the speed of lightning and I quickly crossed over to the other side of the road where I was lucky to get another vehicle immediately, thanking God that all I lost was the fare I had already paid and the additional N50 I paid to help the young man earlier, thinking he was genuinely in need.
Re: My Ordeal With "One Chance Fraudsters" This Morning by zobay(m): 4:27pm On Jul 26, 2012
Whao!!! I was thinking this only happen in Egbeda/Shasha/Ipaja area of Lagos, reading this thread just change my belief. I had the experience six yrs ago 3 yrs later an old woman narrated her story bt unfortunately she fell for them. I told her that she fell cos she was greedy bt contrary she was nt she's ok n contented, she fell out of pity in trying to help one of them unknowingly. Three month ago two different ladies told me the same experience.

My advice: if find ursef in such situation just mind ur biz, do not try to elp anybd and when u get to where u can get bike or pple around tell the drive to stop for u.

1 Like

Re: My Ordeal With "One Chance Fraudsters" This Morning by Raimond(m): 5:14pm On Jul 26, 2012
I'm even surprised that they are still using this method...I'm glad you escaped though!
Re: My Ordeal With "One Chance Fraudsters" This Morning by tEsLim(m): 5:30pm On Jul 26, 2012
I dont get into a cab with passengers! Why cab then? I once took a taxi imagine at dangerous mile2 bus stop and he wants to take another passenger i told him I would get down immediately. Why should I pay you that much and you still want to take another passenger. I dont join people too. I dont join people on bike either. And shit I dont do business with strangers. Rule number 1. Imagine these days where you walk expensive. 1 ipad, 1iphone, bad ass wristwatch that will sell atleast 100k in black market instantly. So why risk it for some change. Use the BRT. Else take a taxi. Lagos taxi, pod taxi, redcab. If you want to use Danfo enter danfo from the park. And 4years ago I entered danfo someone picked my pocket lol but immediately he took my phone it started ringing someone called me. He had to give me my phone. He was like bros your phone dey ring. But wtf is my phone doing in his hands? That was a magic call I received!.

And why even use okada these days with all those guys from chad/niger killing people by overspeeding they aren't even hausa
Re: My Ordeal With "One Chance Fraudsters" This Morning by lumideezle(m): 5:43pm On Jul 26, 2012
gbomo jomo: thank God for u. I had same experience three times, in aba,onitsha and warri. At onisha i took their money for tp. Warri along effuru dsc rd same like this guy. On my own, becos the rd is a dual carrage way, hardly u ve traffic. I was planning on how to get down of the car. An idea came to me, i told the driver, i am willing to participate if i can see the money with my eyes. The mumu driver then stopped,came down to open the booth. Men i came down and pick race with my laptop bag,

Lmao see sense o lol
Re: My Ordeal With "One Chance Fraudsters" This Morning by APII: 5:47pm On Jul 26, 2012
gboss4sure: This just reminded me the day I met these 1 chance people, dem gree say na confirm igbo boi I be as a mata of fact brought up in aba.

Aba boys no dey fall hand.
Re: My Ordeal With "One Chance Fraudsters" This Morning by Nobody: 7:05pm On Jul 26, 2012
Same thing happened to me in 2002. I was walking down one lonely street when one haggard looking guy approached me and asked for help. He said that he had a container full of imported goods but it was seized at the port and he needed money to clear the good. I looked at his appearance and figured that how would such a haggard looking guy have a full container of goods. I immediately suspected fraud and immediately picked race.
Re: My Ordeal With "One Chance Fraudsters" This Morning by argoid: 7:06pm On Jul 26, 2012
no body is too smart when it comes to 419 issue because your close friend or family member can rub you of your entire serving.my advise to every one out there to be vigilant.
Re: My Ordeal With "One Chance Fraudsters" This Morning by mandy4s: 7:11pm On Jul 26, 2012
Well you can never tell oooo. U were lucky dude!! It happened to me way back 2007 in Uyo Akwa Ibom state. My case was even more hypnotizing in that they showed the money to me. Imagine seeing wads of cash; dollars, pounds and even francs!! Men ma eyes popped outtta dia sockets oooo. And i just came out of a bank wid 10k on me. I wonder what would hav hapened to me if i bought their story. Hhhmmmm but God save us all sha.....
Re: My Ordeal With "One Chance Fraudsters" This Morning by ericmooret: 7:28pm On Jul 26, 2012
All na wash wash!
Re: My Ordeal With "One Chance Fraudsters" This Morning by bosbee04: 7:31pm On Jul 26, 2012
i once had d same experience last year december,it was early in d monin wen i joined a cab wt a woman at d front,den later piked anoda man dt sat down wt me in d bak seat,d man asked for my fare, i gave him 50naira, d woman at front offered 80naira cos of her luggage inside d booth,d man refused and later pretended he was goin to drop d woman's luggage if she wasnt ready to pay 100naira,i even pleaded wt d driver to collect 80 4m d woman, he agreed and came, we continued our journey,d driver nw told d woman to confess wat she had in d carton she claimed was ful of pampers,d woman nw began ds cock and bull story,hw she met an alhaji as a professional prostitute at ajao estate who promised to marry her if she gets pregnant, she claimed she had over 5miscarriages for ds same alhaji who later brought in white men to her room in d hotel and 2fierce dogs for her to mate with while video shooting d scene, she said she refused and ran away and d alhaji threatened her, she said d alhaji works in d bureau d change close to her hotel, d nyt b4, he forgot to lock his strong room, she was lucky and picked a carton full of dollars early dt monin, she promised to give all d passengers some if we kip her secret, it looked so real dt she almost cried, she said she needs a place to pray to remove d charm,she asked if i kno any good pastor dt stays around, i said no, d passsenger beside said he knows some1 dt we shud go togeda,i agreed and pretended to receive an emergency call wen we approached a police station very close to my bstop,d driver immediately parked and dts hw i got out, wen i told my folks my experience, my sis and mum clearly said they were 419s.i jst thanked God 4everything.
Re: My Ordeal With "One Chance Fraudsters" This Morning by Jeffy1206(m): 7:45pm On Jul 26, 2012
veri brave of u (sarcasticaly)...mehhhn u cud ave let go of de 100buks as dis cud spelt ur doom.if na pipu whr gt mind u fo jst colet one bulet cos of dat.nice try ma frnd...
Re: My Ordeal With "One Chance Fraudsters" This Morning by MsBella: 8:44pm On Jul 26, 2012
It's always the same story. The same thing happened to me in Abuja, around Ademola Adetokunbo Crescent. You just have to act smart, wait for the car to slow down and jump out when you can. cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

High Death Rate On The Lekki Expressway / Three Great People You Would Like To Meet. / Police Arrest Rams For Attacking 65-Year-Old Woman In Ado-Ekiti

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.