Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,994 members, 7,835,334 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:49 AM

Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! - Car Talk (26) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! (387559 Views)

Peugeot Cars Ownership: The Misleading Idea: Location, Cost Of Parts, Etc. / Are There No Auto Peugeot Cars? / American Spec Cars With HEADLAMPS Always On. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) ... (100) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by kadbus: 3:51pm On Jun 12, 2013
bigx:

upscholar200@yahoo.com
+447840568881

I just send a mail to you. please reply soonest.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by bigx(m): 4:05pm On Jun 12, 2013
kadbus:

I just send a mail to you. please reply soonest.

Pls check I haven't received any
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by emychukwu: 2:00pm On Jun 13, 2013
Creamy brown oily stuff floating inside my radiator clog around radiator cap, pls wot could dis be and hw do I go about it pls
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by owoblo345(m): 5:10pm On Jun 13, 2013
emychukwu: Creamy brown oily stuff floating inside my radiator clog around radiator cap, pls wot could dis be and hw do I go about it pls

That's oil inside your radiator. Likely cause: burnt top cylinder gasket. Did your engine overheat?
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by emychukwu: 7:40am On Jun 14, 2013
Tanx pls, bt dint over heat...I wonder cos d oil section is intact..
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by kollistic(m): 8:19am On Jun 14, 2013
pls room. i drive a peugeot 306 but recently i noticed it consumes alot of fuel .i use a full tank for just 2wks btw owroshonki and ilupeju everyday. pls wat cld b the likely cause?
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by bigx(m): 8:36am On Jun 14, 2013
emychukwu: Tanx pls, bt dint over heat...I wonder cos d oil section is intact..

It might happen without you noticing,
I think Ikenna has explained it before.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by bioye(m): 9:06am On Jun 14, 2013
Please, where can I buy a reliable Peugeot engine at a very good price? It's an EW10. Thank you.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by emychukwu: 9:14am On Jun 14, 2013
Tanx man, bt ik pls refer me to wia u talked about it pls
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by eazy12(m): 3:42pm On Jun 15, 2013
Pls I just want to enquire waz about buying a 406 but waz told dat it has a EW12 engine and waz advice not to buy cos they are usaually problematic
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by yanmata(m): 7:01pm On Jun 15, 2013
eazy12: Pls I just want to enquire waz about buying a 406 but waz told dat it has a EW12 engine and waz advice not to buy cos they are usaually problematic

Have used both 406 and 407 with ew12 engines for 2 years n no issues.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by RapzyJ: 6:43pm On Jun 16, 2013
Ikenna351: WD-40 vs ELECTRICAL CONTACT CLEANER

I have read a lot of argument on WD-40 not being a substitute for Electrical Contact Cleaner. Some maintained that because the WD40 is oily, it would at some point becomes gummy and attracts dusts and cause loss of contacts. That the best would be to use pure Electrical Contact Cleaner, since WD40 is for removing rust and preventing rust as well. Some argued that they have used WD40 for years in cleaning electrical contacts or sockets in their cars and have never had issue aftewards.

Now, where can one find Electrical Contact Clearner in Nigeria? Because am yet to find one and I cant just keep sourcing for everything outside Nigeria. Please, you know a place or shop in Nigeria where one can get the Electrical contact clearner, kindly let us know. I really need, in fact, we all need it. When the time comes, you would wished you had one.

Ikenna.

@ IKENNA and Others:
EUREKA!!! Electronic Contact Cleaner by ABRO, USA. Sight pictures below.

@ IKENNA:
BSI RESET PROCEDURE- SUCCESS!!!! The car has started immediately after the BSI reset. Economy Mode Active has also cleared off.

I still have electrical issues, the multifunction display, dashboard display and other elect stuff behaving erratically i.e on and off, when I disturb the fuses under the drivers console they light up and go off again.

From the last scan I had this reading: INTERMITTENT FAULT: Vehicle Speed Sensor- Short Circuit to Earth.

Whats Next?

Thanks a million for helping me on the BSI reset issue!

Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 6:54pm On Jun 16, 2013
RapzyJ:

@ IKENNA and Others:

Where i go fit see am buy nah?

Ikenna
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 8:03pm On Jun 16, 2013
RapzyJ:

@ IKENNA and Others:

@ IKENNA:
BSI RESET PROCEDURE- SUCCESS!!!! The car has started immediately after the BSI reset. Economy Mode Active has also cleared off.

I still have electrical issues, the multifunction display, dashboard display and other elect stuff behaving erratically i.e on and off, when I disturb the fuses under the drivers console they light up and go off again.

From the last scan I had this reading: INTERMITTENT FAULT: Vehicle Speed Sensor- Short Circuit to Earth.

Whats Next?

Thanks a million for helping me on the BSI reset issue!

Congrats for getting your non-start issue fixed. You are gradually getting the remaining issues fixed.

To the best of my knowledge, 406 has 2 speed sensors: Crankshaft Position sensor and Transducer.

1. The crankshaft position sensor, also known as speed sensor or RPM sensor is mounted on the bellhousing (aka banjo). It senses the engine speed (not vehicle speed) via holes on flywheel and signals to engine ECU, which uses the signal received to power the ignition coil and when to spark (i mean the spark plugs).

2. The Transducer is a speed sensor mounted on the differential part of the gearbox. Its located directly behind the hole that the left side (driver's side) drive shaft goes into the gearbox. Its has 3-wire socket (D8 has 2-wire socket). This speed sensor controls the speedometer on the instrument cluster. It also controls the variable power assisted steering in the V6 (speed sensitive steering). The sensor signals to BSI unit in D9 the vehicle speed, which the BSI unit interprets and indicate the vehicle speed via the speedo on the cluster.

So, i want to believe the faulty speed sensor in your case is the transducer. But, it should also indicate on the speedo (not working properly).

Short circuit to Earth means its loosing ground connection. Pull out the connector, clean it with contact cleaner and push it back. You can also do the same on the RPM sensor, though hard to get to in I4 petrol 406. I would advice that you trace the ground connection on the engine block, from the negative battery head. Loose the bolt holding the connector on the block, clean the surface and bolt it back.

As for your other electrical issues, disconnet the negative battery head again (remember the correct procedure for that) and pullout the fusebox under the steering wheel, completely. Pull out the sockets on the fusebox, one after the other and clean them thoroughly with contact cleaner. Check if any of the plugs or sockets is not gripping firmly on the fusebox contact and use tester screwdriver or anything small enough to bring the socket pins closer, to grip well on the fusebox.

Also, pull out all the fuses one after the other, check for rust or corrossion, clean and push back. If any is broken, replace.

While at the fusebox is out, check to see if water is leaking from that side and entering the fusebox. Its a common problem with 406. If you notice sign of water entering from that sid, get a strong plastic leather bag, place it on top where the fusebox is seated, to prevent water entering the fusebox, pending when you sort out the spot the water is leaking from.

Put everything back and reconnect the battery, following the procedure. I believe the issues will be gone.

Ikenna.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by wisesystem: 1:18pm On Jun 17, 2013
Finally located a mechanic who seems to know his onions. Was able to scan my lion and reset the anti pollution fault using a pp2000, dint need to replace the oxygen sensor as I feared. Decided to try his knowledge with the little I ve gathered from the house, so I asked him if I should remove my car thermostat, he advices against it and went on to explain the uses of the thermostat which was very much in line with most of what I have heard on this forum. He also advised I replace my Timing Belt when my mileage clocks 80,000. Paid him 3000 naira for his services which I had to bargain cuz he asked for 5000naira anyway.

Watched him scan my lion and realised the whole process is not actually rocket science so I hope to get a pp2000 and learn how to scan my car myself. Paying 5000k for each scanning will have me covering the cost of a Lexia 3 in just about six diagnoses.
Decided I ll just change my timing belt and get that done with so my car can reach the bill of health I desire for her.Loving my fox by the day guys!!!
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by tundesto(m): 4:36pm On Jun 17, 2013
wisesystem: Finally located a mechanic who seems to know his onions. Was able to scan my lion and reset the anti pollution fault using a pp2000, dint need to replace the oxygen sensor as I feared. Decided to try his knowledge with the little I ve gathered from the house, so I asked him if I should remove my car thermostat, he advices against it and went on to explain the uses of the thermostat which was very much in line with most of what I have heard on this forum. He also advised I replace my Timing Belt when my mileage clocks 80,000. Paid him 3000 naira for his services which I had to bargain cuz he asked for 5000naira anyway.

Watched him scan my lion and realised the whole process is not actually rocket science so I hope to get a pp2000 and learn how to scan my car myself. Paying 5000k for each scanning will have me covering the cost of a Lexia 3 in just about six diagnoses.
Decided I ll just change my timing belt and get that done with so my car can reach the bill of health I desire for her.Loving my fox by the day guys!!!

Are you now achieving optimum fuel consumption level for the fox? The factory MPG of Peugeot 406 is approximately 39. Is yours up to that?
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Bostin(m): 5:23pm On Jun 17, 2013
Please fox fans, am a UK based thinking to buy peugeot 406 to come use in Nigeria , kindly tell me the best model and engine that is good for our road and weather, is it advising to buy right hand drive to come convert to left hand drive in Nigeria or I should just go for left hand drive straight, if safer to convert ,kindly link me with any professional converters in Lagos or UK..
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by RapzyJ: 12:33am On Jun 18, 2013
Ikenna351:

Congrats for getting your non-start issue fixed. You are gradually getting the remaining issues fixed.

To the best of my knowledge, 406 has 2 speed sensors: Crankshaft Position sensor and Transducer.

1. The crankshaft position sensor, also known as speed sensor or RPM sensor is mounted on the bellhousing (aka banjo). It senses the engine speed (not vehicle speed) via holes on flywheel and signals to engine ECU, which uses the signal received to power the ignition coil and when to spark (i mean the spark plugs).

2. The Transducer is a speed sensor mounted on the differential part of the gearbox. Its located directly behind the hole that the left side (driver's side) drive shaft goes into the gearbox. Its has 3-wire socket (D8 has 2-wire socket). This speed sensor controls the speedometer on the instrument cluster. It also controls the variable power assisted steering in the V6 (speed sensitive steering). The sensor signals to BSI unit in D9 the vehicle speed, which the BSI unit interprets and indicate the vehicle speed via the speedo on the cluster.

So, i want to believe the faulty speed sensor in your case is the transducer. But, it should also indicate on the speedo (not working properly).

Short circuit to Earth means its loosing ground connection. Pull out the connector, clean it with contact cleaner and push it back. You can also do the same on the RPM sensor, though hard to get to in I4 petrol 406. I would advice that you trace the ground connection on the engine block, from the negative battery head. Loose the bolt holding the connector on the block, clean the surface and bolt it back.

As for your other electrical issues, disconnet the negative battery head again (remember the correct procedure for that) and pullout the fusebox under the steering wheel, completely. Pull out the sockets on the fusebox, one after the other and clean them thoroughly with contact cleaner. Check if any of the plugs or sockets is not gripping firmly on the fusebox contact and use tester screwdriver or anything small enough to bring the socket pins closer, to grip well on the fusebox.

Also, pull out all the fuses one after the other, check for rust or corrossion, clean and push back. If any is broken, replace.

While at the fusebox is out, check to see if water is leaking from that side and entering the fusebox. Its a common problem with 406. If you notice sign of water entering from that sid, get a strong plastic leather bag, place it on top where the fusebox is seated, to prevent water entering the fusebox, pending when you sort out the spot the water is leaking from.

Put everything back and reconnect the battery, following the procedure. I believe the issues will be gone.

Ikenna.

Thanx bro for this in-depth analogy, I respect your patience and painstaking attitude to explanations. I'ld do exactly as you ve advised. This Bellhousing is it the same as the point where the batt -ve terminates on the engine block? If NO, then how can I locate it. Meanwyl I just got a haynes manual will it show me rather than bother you on every issue.

On the contact cleaner, I will send a few cans to ABJ, then you can show it to those pple selling CARB cleaner and stuff like that, they will be able to get it. Thats what I did, only diff is that I did mouth explanation and only one man could understand and he got it for me. You can send me the nearest park to you so I can easily choose which bus will bring them. Either here or in my box [topeyeye1@yahoo.com], pls add ur num so they can give you a call when it arrives - thats how I do it when sending things to other places never sent to ABJ b4 so dont knw if it will be diff sha.

Thaanx a million times once again!
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by selwiz: 7:23am On Jun 18, 2013
m
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by wisesystem: 7:28am On Jun 18, 2013
tundesto:

Are you now achieving optimum fuel consumption level for the fox? The factory MPG of Peugeot 406 is approximately 39. Is yours up to that?

Will check that out when I drive out today Man, thanks for that useful reminder.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 9:03am On Jun 18, 2013
RapzyJ:

Thanx bro for this in-depth analogy, I respect your patience and painstaking attitude to explanations. I'ld do exactly as you ve advised. This Bellhousing is it the same as the point where the batt -ve terminates on the engine block? If NO, then how can I locate it. Meanwyl I just got a haynes manual will it show me rather than bother you on every issue.

On the contact cleaner, I will send a few cans to ABJ, then you can show it to those pple selling CARB cleaner and stuff like that, they will be able to get it. Thats what I did, only diff is that I did mouth explanation and only one man could understand and he got it for me. You can send me the nearest park to you so I can easily choose which bus will bring them. Either here or in my box [topeyeye1@yahoo.com], pls add ur num so they can give you a call when it arrives - thats how I do it when sending things to other places never sent to ABJ b4 so dont knw if it will be diff sha.

Thaanx a million times once again!

Bellhousing is what Nigerian mechanics call banjo. Its the housing for clutch components for manual trans: clutch pressure plate, clutch plate/disc & throw out/release bearing. Its also the housing for torque converter for auto trans. It looks like part of the gearbox.

But the transducer is mounted on the gearbox, the differential part of the gearbox, not on the bellhousing. The transducer is the vehicle speed sensor, i believe. The CKP sensor is mounted on bellhousing.

As for the contact cleaner, i will PM you. Thanks.

Ikenna.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by wisesystem: 10:23am On Jun 18, 2013
Sadly ANTI POLLUTION FAULT and CHECK ENGINE light came back on on my way to work this morning, so sad, at least for my pocket. Is evident the reset attempt during the scan yesterday was too late to save my car oxygen sensor which was the only fault detected.
So I ll be changing my Oxygen sensor, my mechanic is proposing I change the sensor closer to the engine, of the two faulty sensors which he says is more related to my fuel consumption. Not comfortable with the idea as I hate cutting corners but will readily buy the idea if its safe as am low on cash.

@ Ikenna what do you think? Safe? Also do you have an idea of the cost of a brand new oxygen sensor, say at ASD Motors. Makurdi to Abuja is quite close and I think Ill be shopping for my parts in Abuja, cant trust auto parts sellers in Makurdi just yet. my mech is calling 15k for a new oxygen sensor. Thanks in advance.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by RapzyJ: 5:06pm On Jun 18, 2013
Ikenna351:

Bellhousing is what Nigerian mechanics call banjo. Its the housing for clutch components for manual trans: clutch pressure plate, clutch plate/disc & throw out/release bearing. Its also the housing for torque converter for auto trans. It looks like part of the gearbox.

But the transducer is mounted on the gearbox, the differential part of the gearbox, not on the bellhousing. The transducer is the vehicle speed sensor, i believe. The CKP sensor is mounted on bellhousing.

As for the contact cleaner, i will PM you. Thanks.

Ikenna.

OK Thanks.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 7:24am On Jun 19, 2013
wisesystem: Sadly ANTI POLLUTION FAULT and CHECK ENGINE light came back on on my way to work this morning, so sad, at least for my pocket. Is evident the reset attempt during the scan yesterday was too late to save my car oxygen sensor which was the only fault detected.
So I ll be changing my Oxygen sensor, my mechanic is proposing I change the sensor closer to the engine, of the two faulty sensors which he says is more related to my fuel consumption. Not comfortable with the idea as I hate cutting corners but will readily buy the idea if its safe as am low on cash.

@ Ikenna what do you think? Safe? Also do you have an idea of the cost of a brand new oxygen sensor, say at ASD Motors. Makurdi to Abuja is quite close and I think Ill be shopping for my parts in Abuja, cant trust auto parts sellers in Makurdi just yet. my mech is calling 15k for a new oxygen sensor. Thanks in advance.

You need to know which of the oxygen sensors that is faulty (upstream or downstream), if your car has two. Didnt he copyout for you the fault he detected when he scanned with it? The catalytic converter monitoring oxygen sensor wont work if installed as upstrem o2 sensors. He should re-scan the car for you for free, since he didnt give write out, for you, the errors the pp2000 pulled out from the engine ECU. You need to be sure what you are to replace to fix the injection issue, even though i earlier predicted that your o2 sensor could have died.

And next time he is scanning the car with pp2000, let him do "Global Scan", to scan other ECUs, other than just engine ECU. Your car should have more than 5 ECUs.

As for the price of o2 sensor in Abuja, i bought the one in my 505 V6 in 2011 at 15k, but not from ASD motors. Last week, i priced it and i was told 10k. I wouldnt know if both were of the quality. I will find out how much it cost at ASD motors and get back to you. But we need the part number. Though, i can get it for you through your VIN, since i still have it. Will get back to you.

Ikenna.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 5:28pm On Jun 19, 2013
@ wisesystem,

Your car has 2 oxygen sensors: upstream and downstream.

1. Upstream: part number is 1628 KN.
2. Downstream: part number is 1628 QY.

You need to know which of them that is faulty.

Ikenna.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by selwiz: 8:52pm On Jun 19, 2013
Informative
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by wisesystem: 9:04pm On Jun 19, 2013
Ikenna351:

You need to know which of the oxygen sensors that is faulty (upstream or downstream), if your car has two. Didnt he copyout for you the fault he detected when he scanned with it? The catalytic converter monitoring oxygen sensor wont work if installed as upstrem o2 sensors. He should re-scan the car for you for free, since he didnt give write out, for you, the errors the pp2000 pulled out from the engine ECU. You need to be sure what you are to replace to fix the injection issue, even though i earlier predicted that your o2 sensor could have died.

And next time he is scanning the car with pp2000, let him do "Global Scan", to scan other ECUs, other than just engine ECU. Your car should have more than 5 ECUs.

As for the price of o2 sensor in Abuja, i bought the one in my 505 V6 in 2011 at 15k, but not from ASD motors. Last week, i priced it and i was told 10k. I wouldnt know if both were of the quality. I will find out how much it cost at ASD motors and get back to you. But we need the part number. Though, i can get it for you through your VIN, since i still have it. Will get back to you.

Ikenna.

Yes Mod he actually did a global scan and yes I read the scan results myself which diplayed upper and lower lamba sensors faulty, it was after that he tried reseting the car which seemed to work at first but came back on. Av resolved to change both anyways, but am not sure of the genuineness of part s sold in makurdi. Thanks also for the part number, will really appreciate knowing the cost of the oxygen sensor at ASD MOTORS if you can and any other useful information. Have a great night.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by abdulkadir(m): 9:16pm On Jun 19, 2013
Bostin: Please fox fans, am a UK based thinking to buy peugeot 406 to come use in Nigeria , kindly tell me the best model and engine that is good for our road and weather, is it advising to buy right hand drive to come convert to left hand drive in Nigeria or I should just go for left hand drive straight, if safer to convert ,kindly link me with any professional converters in Lagos or UK..

some of us would rather you stay away from conversion in naija,though i know of few people that have had quite a gd xperience with their conversions. Since u r in d UK talk to seina. He should be able to sort you out. Gd luck

1 Like

Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by abdulkadir(m): 9:26pm On Jun 19, 2013
Ikenna351: @ wisesystem,

Your car has 2 oxygen sensors: upstream and downstream.

1. Upstream: part number is 1628 KN.
2. Downstream: part number is 1628 QY.

You need to know which of them that is faulty.

Ikenna.

concerning this antipollution fault, i want to believe the kind of fuel we use contributes to d issue. Our fuel cant be totally trusted. As for me i don dey live with the problem, may be because i dont have a permanent fox now. So anyone i drive nd displays d fault, i live with it till i part with d car. D auto tranny d9 i drive now has dat issue nd it still does avrage of 11l/100km
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by wisesystem: 10:24pm On Jun 19, 2013
abdulkadir:

concerning this antipollution fault, i want to believe the kind of fuel we use contributes to d issue. Our fuel cant be totally trusted. As for me i don dey live with the problem, may be because i dont have a permanent fox now. So anyone i drive nd displays d fault, i live with it till i part with d car. D auto tranny d9 i drive now has dat issue nd it still does avrage of 11l/100km

Hmmm! my brother no be small thing oh! In my case though my car was driven all the way from Cotonou with the CTS switch disconnected, in fact I observed flakes of black smoke in the tail pipe, to use Ikenna,s term the car ran richly all the way down. The stop light kept blinking continuously. Was only able to sort out the problem when Ikenna suspected a cts problem which led to the discovery of the CTS switch disconnected and I cant even be too sure for how long the car was running without the CTS switch properly connected. Scanned my car and tried to correct the problem using a PP2000 which seemed to work but resurfaced, so I ll have to change my O2 sensor and see how far. Read some stuff about the function of the O2 sensor online and mehn! e no gree me ignore the usefulness of O2SENSOR as far as consumption issues are concerned.

Am still feeling the pinch of the money I had to gather to get this ride and cant stand faults on my display for now... All the same thanks or sharing your observations man, its consoling to know one can still get such fuel consumption ratios even with the fault though you can bet we all wish for optimal consumption.

As for our fuel, I thought they said Naija fuel be one of the best grade?
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by bigx(m): 10:31pm On Jun 19, 2013
wisesystem:
As for our fuel, I thought they said Naija fuel be one of the best grade?

Our Crude I know of, the fuel? I really doubt.

1 Like

Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Exclibur(m): 6:19am On Jun 20, 2013
To all the lion fans in the house;
I bought a naija used 2000 model 406 coupe v6(190bhp) automatic from a car dealer some weeks back knowing that it had an auto fault. Big mistake. The auto tranny failed completely and I've had to spend 130k getting a new gearbox.
My advice is this: If y°u are considering to buy a 406, better look for a manual gear and save urself the trouble of a gearbox failure.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) ... (100) (Reply)

The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread / How Many Kilometres Can Your Car Travel Per Litre Of Fuel? / Car Talk Chat Room

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.