Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,947 members, 7,817,780 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:25 PM

Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! - Car Talk (21) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! (385664 Views)

Peugeot Cars Ownership: The Misleading Idea: Location, Cost Of Parts, Etc. / Are There No Auto Peugeot Cars? / American Spec Cars With HEADLAMPS Always On. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (100) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 9:04pm On Apr 29, 2013
more pics.

Ikenna

Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 9:06pm On Apr 29, 2013
more pics.

Ikenna.

Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 9:10pm On Apr 29, 2013
Finally, put back the tyre, started the car the engine was running smoothly. Drove out immediately, entered an expressway and pressed the throttle pedal to the floor. You dont need to hear the rest. cool

Ikenna.

2 Likes

Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by emychukwu: 10:31pm On Apr 29, 2013
Pls bad fuel pipe connecting from tank to engine...wot must ve caused It to be bursting in various places? Am gona replace it, hw do I knw d original so I don't end up getting inferior...pug306
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by wisesystem: 7:32am On Apr 30, 2013
Ikenna351:

You dey ask me? Lol! Thats the least price i could get it here in Abuja. Painful, but what can I do.

And yes, the ES9J4S thermostat is different from EW10 thermostat. Their part numbers differ and both have different shapes. Though, the EW10 thermostat would be cheaper. But ES9J4S and EW10 use the same CTS. The price is 4k.

The truth is, 406 original parts are pricey. For example, the front brake pad (PAN) cost 10k or so. Though, we have the one of 5k and 2k.

Ikenna.

Ok Boss. Thanks for all the update and for always going the extra mile to solve our puzzles. Ur very much appreciated Man!!!
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by emychukwu: 3:57pm On May 02, 2013
Fuel hose replaced...but pls y do my engine go down or vibrate each time I on d ac...wot number is d rpm pin supposed to be wit ac and without ac. Thanks as I await ans
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by yanmata(m): 4:27pm On May 03, 2013
@ikenna n others, I own a pug 407. I have no issues with the car except one major issue. The issue is, the average fuel consuption from the dash 32mpg on highway n 11mpg in town..

What could be d major difference in fuel consuption In practical terms, I observed on stationay position with the ac put on, the fuel comsuption is something else. However, on highway, it consumes normal at an average of 10lts/100km which to me is on the average.

What could be the reason for this anomaly? Thx guys.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 4:45pm On May 03, 2013
yanmata: @ikenna n others, I own a pug 407. I have no issues with the car except one major issue. The issue is, the average fuel consuption from the dash 32mpg on highway n 11mpg in town..

What could be d major difference in fuel consuption In practical terms, I observed on stationay position with the ac put on, the fuel comsuption is something else. However, on highway, it consumes normal at an average of 10lts/100km which to me is on the average.

What could be the reason for this anomaly? Thx guys.

Even your 10 L/100km or 32mpg on highway is not normal.

I got 39 mpg (about 7 L/100km) 3 days ago on an expressway in Abuja in my D9 V6, with the AC on. So if my V6 can get more mpg than yours (which i believe is I4), then something must be wrong. Even in the city, last time i checked, i was getting 22mpg with the D9 v6, with the AC on.

If your check engine light is not on when engine is running, something is still wrong. Hope your brake is not binding? Hope you havent removed the cooling system thermostat? Hope your tyre(s) is not underinflated?

What engine is it, anyway?

Ikenna.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 4:47pm On May 03, 2013
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by yanmata(m): 5:00pm On May 03, 2013
Ikenna351:

Even your 10 L/100km or 32mpg on highway is not normal.

I got 39 mpg (about 7 L/100km) 3 days ago on an expressway in Abuja in my D9 V6, with the AC on. So if my V6 can get more mpg than yours (which i believe is I4), then something must be wrong. Even in the city, last time i checked, i was getting 22mpg with the D9 v6, with the AC on.

If your check engine light is not on when engine is running, something is still wrong. Hope your brake is not binding? Hope you havent removed the cooling system thermostat? Hope your tyre(s) is not underinflated?

What engine is it, anyway?

Ikenna.

@ikenna, the pug runs on ew12. The checked engine is on. The car is scanned by a chap @asd motors...the culprit they said is the throttle n won't pose any issue. No black smoke. Two abs sensors are said to be bad....the three are well inflated as its factory specified type.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 5:11pm On May 03, 2013
yanmata:

@ikenna, the pug runs on ew12. The checked engine is on. The car is scanned by a chap @asd motors...the culprit they said is the throttle n won't pose any issue. No black smoke. Two abs sensors are said to be bad....the three are well inflated as its factory specified type.

By throttle, you mean Motorised throttle body?

Did the ASD motors guy scan the car with PP2000 or just with unversal scanner?

Ikenna.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by yanmata(m): 6:11pm On May 03, 2013
Ikenna351:

By throttle, you mean Motorised throttle body?

Did the ASD motors guy scan the car with PP2000 or just with unversal scanner?

Ikenna.

He said its d throtle don't one if its d motorised. But 1 think I know about the throtle of this is that it does not d conventional throthle...iys all electrical.

As for d scanner used.the scanner has the pug n citron logo attached to a laptop.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 6:28pm On May 03, 2013
yanmata:

He said its d throtle don't one if its d motorised. But 1 think I know about the throtle of this is that it does not d conventional throthle...iys all electrical.

As for d scanner used.the scanner has the pug n citron logo attached to a laptop.

Yes, the throttle body of the of EW12 is electrically contolled via sensors & ECU, just like the ES9J4S.

From your description of the scanner, yes its the PP2000 (Diagbox).

Can you manually test your CTS values with DMM? Its best tested when engine is cold in the morning, before first start.

You still havent said anything about the thermostat i asked earlier. What about your radiator fan? How does it operate? When does it start spinning and when does it go off?

Ikenna.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by yanmata(m): 6:47pm On May 03, 2013
How do I test these values as am not an autotech guy

There is a single fan than turns on only at intervals...

Don't think the thermostat is tempered with coz I cleared the car from port myself n drove it down to Abuja. No mechanic has touch d car apart from my first service.

hope I answered ur queries.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 7:12pm On May 03, 2013
yanmata: How do I test these values as am not an autotech guy

Don't think the thermostat is tempered with coz I cleared the car from port myself n drove it down to Abuja. No mechanic has touch d car apart from my first service.

Well, your thermostat should still be there. But you need to test to know if the t-stat has not failed stuck open. Will come to that later.

According to the owner's manual, average fuel consumption of 406 with EW12 engine is:

Saloon,Manual transmission:
Town/city: 22 mpg (12.8 L/100km).
Highway: 43.5 mpg (6.5 L/km)

SW Manual transmission:
Town/city: 22 mpg(12.8 L/100km)
Highway: 40.4 mpg (6.7 L/100km)

To test the thermostat, open the bonnet in the morning when the engine is cold. Then start the car, come back to the bonnet. You will see 2 big hoses attached to radiator that go to engine (Thermostat housing). One will be on top, while the other will be under the other. After 2 mins of engine at idle, touch the house on top, it should be warm. Then touch the one under and it should be cold. Keeping touching that hose under every min. After about 7 mins or so (when the tempearture guage in the instrument cluster is rising towards 90 degree celcius), the hose under will gradually start getting warm. Thats when the thermostat is opening. At that time, the upper hose will be very hot. Then the lower hose will later get hot too. So if the upper and lower hoses get warm and hot at the same time at cold start, then the thermostat is either absent or failed (stuck open)

Ikenna.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 7:49pm On May 03, 2013
yanmata: How do I test these values as am not an autotech guy

Also, about the CTS, its also better to test it with DMM when the engine is still cold. Otherwise, i would have asked you bring the car to my place for me to do it for you, since you stay in Abuja too. But if you still want to come, send me a mail so that i direct you.

Ikenna
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by yanmata(m): 8:07pm On May 03, 2013
Ikenna351:

Also, about the CTS, its also better to test it with DMM when the engine is still cold. Otherwise, i would have asked you bring the car to my place for me to do it for you, since you stay in Abuja too. But if you still want to come, send me a mail so that i direct you.

Thx ikenna. I will do exactly what you directed first thing tomorrow morning and revert to you.

Best of wishes.

Ikenna
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by emychukwu: 8:39pm On May 03, 2013
Like dey have some selected people dat dey reply on dis thread..jisi ike
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 9:23pm On May 03, 2013
emychukwu: Like dey have some selected people dat dey reply on dis thread..jisi ike

Lol! Sorry o! I was busy when i saw your quey. I intended to reply your post when i would be less busy, but i forgot. Will try my best.

Ikenna.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 10:17pm On May 03, 2013
emychukwu: Fuel hose replaced...but pls y do my engine go down or vibrate each time I on d ac...wot number is d rpm pin supposed to be wit ac and without ac. Thanks as I await ans

I dont know the engine in your 306 and am not sure i would know how the ignition system works. But i will explain mine to you.

Now, the ignition system/timing of my ZN3J (V6 engine in my 505) is electronically controlled or adjusted. The Ignition system is Bosch LH2-2 system, contolled by a calculator, otherwise known as Ignition ECU that works via signals it receives from various sensors such as 2 detonation/knock sensors, no. 1 cylinder sensor, CKP, IAC, CTS, Throttle switch and Injection ECU.

Now, the ignition system, the Bosch LH2-2, has 128 pre-programmed settings/MAP. My point is, the system is pre-programmed such that no matter the load on the engine, it will always re-adjust and maintain 750 rpm at idle. Whether the A/C is on or not.

Now, Peugeot knock sensor acts like a microphone. Once it detects any knock, detonation or pinging, it will slow the timing, to prevent engine damage. So, if your spark plug is misfiring, the knock sensor will sense it and rretard time. Any formvof unwanted noise coming from the cylinder bank will make the knock sensor do its job.

Again, when ignition ECU doesnt receive adequate/required values or sigbals from the sensors, it will throw off the timing and your rpm will drop, making the engine to be shaking. My ZN3J was having such issue before. I traced the problem to the CTS connector. It was corroded and was sending incomplete value/signal to the Ignition ECU. But as soon as i cleaned the connector and plugged it back, the rpm never dropped again below 750 rpm and the engine stopped shaking while AC is on.

So, i would advice you start by cleaning all the wiring connectors you can lay your eyes on in the engine bay, including the ECU connectors. Pull them out, check for corrosion, clean and plug back. You will be surprised how some issues will get fixed when you finished cleaning them. Its a typical peugeot issue: Electrics. Especially, their wiring connectors.

Also, clean the IAC (Idle Air Control Valve)with carburettor cleaner. Allow it to dry, lubricate the inside and mount it back. When IAC becomes sticky with oil residue from crankcase, it will give you a similar issue. In fact, most times, its the culprit to issue like this.

Goodluck.

Ikenna.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by yanmata(m): 7:19am On May 04, 2013
[quote author=yanmata][/quote]

Morning Ikenna,

I have started my 407 and observed the tempertures of both the upper and lower horses and they both seems to worked very well as described by you. Intact it took the engine about 10mins before the fan begins to rotate at speed 1 while my temp gauge remain at 90.

Meanwhile b4 I switch off the car the readings from dash shows 39mpg and 12mpg respectively. No traces of black smoke from the exhust n no missing or hesitating to start or jerking of any type at all.

These are my submissions Ikenna.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 8:23am On May 04, 2013
yanmata:

Morning Ikenna,

I have started my 407 and observed the tempertures of both the upper and lower horses and they both seems to worked very well as described by you. Intact it took the engine about 10mins before the fan begins to rotate at speed 1 while my temp gauge remain at 90.

Meanwhile b4 I switch off the car the readings from dash shows 39mpg and 12mpg respectively. No traces of black smoke from the exhust n no missing or hesitating to start or jerking of any type at all.

These are my submissions Ikenna.

Good morning,

Ok. Above test rules out your t-stat and fans connection. The 39mpg and 12mpg were the last readings recorded the last time you drove the car, not this morning consumption. You will need to wipe off the recorded one to get new ones. To do that, press and hold the wiper switch for some seconds. But note that the car has do be in motion, moving more than 20 km/h for the BSI to read your fuel consumption.

You still need to test the CTS to be sure its still sending the correct value to the ECU. You need to test the resistance and volts values of the sensor to rule it out.

You may have to consider replacing the throttle body, since its an injection component. It should have effect on the fuel consumption when faulty. What was the result when it was scanned with PP2000? Permanent or intermittent fault?

Ikenna

1 Like

Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by bioye(m): 7:04am On May 05, 2013
Hi guys. I'm honoured to be a member of this cliche. I own a 406 - 2.0L (136bhp) - EW10J4 - R6F. Sadly after serious abuse by my last mechanic some days ago, the car is now in a virtually undrive-able state. I'm sure if the car was owned by car enthusiasts like you guys, it would the back on the road with minimal effort.

Anyways, before the last trip to the mechanic, the car was fine except that it was emitting thick black smoke and whenever I switch on the AC, I get the message "engine coolant temperature too high" after a few minutes. I had earlier gotten advice from various quarters to:
1. get a new engine
2. buy a half engine
3. change the catolic sensor (which I now believe to be the catalytic converter)

However, this last mechanic assured me that he would ring the engine(20k), change the top gasket(5k) and replace the oil and all the problems would disappear. He said if I brought the car in the morning, it would be ready in the evening. However, the car wasn't ready until 5 days later.

When I tested the car, the exhaust was still emitting thick black smoke. After driving for a few minutes (without the AC), I started getting the message "Oil pressure too low" and then "Engine coolant temperature too high" and to STOP. Then the gears became very hard and I had to use excess force to switch gears. I had to stop the car 3 times before I got home.

I would love to enjoy my Peugeot the way you guys do. I am tired of mechanic headaches. I know nothing about cars and I need help! Thank you in advance.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 8:26am On May 05, 2013
bioye: Hi guys. I'm honoured to be a member of this cliche. I own a 406 - 2.0L (136bhp) - EW10J4 - R6F. Sadly after serious abuse by my last mechanic some days ago, the car is now in a virtually undrive-able state. I'm sure if the car was owned by car enthusiasts like you guys, it would the back on the road with minimal effort.

Anyways, before the last trip to the mechanic, the car was fine except that it was emitting thick black smoke and whenever I switch on the AC, I get the message "engine coolant temperature too high" after a few minutes. I had earlier gotten advice from various quarters to:
1. get a new engine
2. buy a half engine
3. change the catolic sensor (which I now believe to be the catalytic converter)

However, this last mechanic assured me that he would ring the engine(20k), change the top gasket(5k) and replace the oil and all the problems would disappear. He said if I brought the car in the morning, it would be ready in the evening. However, the car wasn't ready until 5 days later.

When I tested the car, the exhaust was still emitting thick black smoke. After driving for a few minutes (without the AC), I started getting the message "Oil pressure too low" and then "Engine coolant temperature too high" and to STOP. Then the gears became very hard and I had to use excess force to switch gears. I had to stop the car 3 times before I got home.

I would love to enjoy my Peugeot the way you guys do. I am tired of mechanic headaches. I know nothing about cars and I need help! Thank you in advance.

Na wa o! See how a 4k issue has landed you in nightmares.

The "engine coolant too high" is a symptom of faulty CTS (Coolant Temperaturr sensor), most of the times. The CTS of EW10 cost 4k here in Abuja. Thats probably the cause of the thick black smoke you have been experiencing, which have nothing to do with the engine. Its an engine management issue (injection issue), not the engine. Changing the rings and head gasket was a complete waste of money. How are you sure the rings and head gasket he removed were not better than the fake (obviously) he put in? Becsuse since he made the purchase himself, he would have bought the low quality ones.

About the "Oil pressure too low" thing, are you sure he used the genuine oil filter when he replaced the old one? Hope he didnt tamper with the oil pump while replacing the rings and other stuffs? If he did, was it a genuine one?

Do you stay in Abuja? Can you test the CTS with DMM yourself?

Ikenna.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by bioye(m): 10:57am On May 05, 2013
Thank you Ikenna for the quick response. Guess what, I was already planning on saving 150k for a new engine. Though I was also thinking that as long as I rely on these 'wack' 'mechanics', I would end up in the same situation.

Yep. I stay in Abuja - Apo Legislative Quarters. I believe by DMM, you mean Digital Multimeter. I don't own one and guess I have to learn to use it. Online, I see I can get it for about $20. Can you recommend where to get one in Abuja and how much?

How do I confirm the extent of havoc the mechanic has wrecked on the car? Are there physical inspections I can carry out or do I need to run a diagnostic tool on the engine? Though the dashboard shows enough oil, when I gauged the oil it was too low. Should I top the oil or carry out certain checks first?

Ikenna, would you be willing to look at the car? That's if I can get the car into a drivable state first without causing more harm. Thanks man.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 12:35pm On May 05, 2013
bioye: Thank you Ikenna for the quick response. Guess what, I was already planning on saving 150k for a new engine. Though I was also thinking that as long as I rely on these 'wack' 'mechanics', I would end up in the same situation.

Yep. I stay in Abuja - Apo Legislative Quarters. I believe by DMM, you mean Digital Multimeter. I don't own one and guess I have to learn to use it. Online, I see I can get it for about $20. Can you recommend where to get one in Abuja and how much?

How do I confirm the extent of havoc the mechanic has wrecked on the car? Are there physical inspections I can carry out or do I need to run a diagnostic tool on the engine? Though the dashboard shows enough oil, when I gauged the oil it was too low. Should I top the oil or carry out certain checks first?

Ikenna, would you be willing to look at the car? That's if I can get the car into a drivable state first without causing more harm. Thanks man.

Yes, by DMM, I meant Digital MultiMeter. You can get it as cheap as N250 or N600. But we have the one of 1k, 2k and 5k. But the N250 & N600 can check the CTS resistance and volts values for you, but they cant test the oxygen sensor, since they lack milivolts function. The 2k and 5k DMM have that feature.

Of course, I would like to come and check your car. Your place is not even far from mine. But am at Maitama right now. PM me your address or phone number, so that we can arrange our meet.

If the oil level is very, below the minimum level on the dipstick, top it up to the normal level and see if low oil pressure warning sign will pop up again. Its always better to pay more attention to manual guage than the electric one. Sensors are not reliable.

Ikenna.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by wisesystem: 3:36pm On May 05, 2013
bioye: Thank you Ikenna for the quick response. Guess what, I was already planning on saving 150k for a new engine. Though I was also thinking that as long as I rely on these 'wack' 'mechanics', I would end up in the same situation.

Ikenna, would you be willing to look at the car? That's if I can get the car into a drivable state first without
causing more harm. Thanks man.

Been following ur posts and must say its really sad what our brodas on the road sides and garages have done to ur car. Well,the bright side is in the obvious fact that u are intent on not repeating those mistakes and are eager to learn... hence ur participation on this thread. Wish u the best in search for a new life for ur lion & good thing u ve hooked up with Ikenna da Lion King. Kindly update the house on ur the progress with ur lion so we all can learn or add to our existing knowledge. Av observed that most house members dont update the house on how well they were served by useful tips got from the thread which would otherwise have served others.

@ Ikenna, kindly indulge us with the technicalities involved with Bioye's Lion so we can learn. Hard to imagine a CTS fault can degenerate this bad!
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 4:35pm On May 05, 2013
wisesystem:

Been following ur posts and must say its really sad what our brodas on the road sides and garages have done to ur car. Well,the bright side is in the obvious fact that u are intent on not repeating those mistakes and are eager to learn... hence ur participation on this thread. Wish u the best in search for a new life for ur lion & good thing u ve hooked up with Ikenna da Lion King. Kindly update the house on ur the progress with ur lion so we all can learn or add to our existing knowledge. Av observed that most house members dont update the house on how well they were served by useful tips got from the thread which would otherwise have served others.

@ Ikenna, kindly indulge us with the technicalities involved with Bioye's Lion so we can learn. Hard to imagine a CTS fault can degenerate this bad!

To the best of my knowledge, CTS is the only injection sensor that reports to ECU the Coolant temperature. So, for him to be getting "Coolant Temperature too high", thats the only sensor i could think of for now.

A cold engine needs excess fuel to be able to start and run. The CTS makes that happen. When you switch on the ignition, the CTS will signal to ECU the temperature of the coolant. Then the ECU will use the signal/vlues it receives from the CTS to determine amount of fuel the injectors spray into the combustion chambers via intake valves. If the signal it receives from CTS is 3 volts, the CTS will command the injectors to spray in excess fuel for the engine to be able to start. 3 volts value from CTS means engine is coolant/engine is cold. As the engine is running, the coolant is getting warm and hotter quickly, made possible by Thermostat. As it coolant gets hot, the CTS volts value reduces upto 1 volts or a little less than 1 volt. At such value, the ECU will reduce the amount of fuel the injectors spray in (closed loop). Thats why when you remove and run your engine without thermostat, your CTS will always be reporting or sending high volt values to the engine ECU, making the ECU to be commanding injectors to be spraying in excess fuel. ECU works or manages the engine with signals it receives from various injection (and ignition) sensors/components.

Oxygen sensor comes in to perform its function when CTS must have done its part when engine its started for the first few minutes of engine running. Oxygen sensor has to heat first before it can work. Thats why the universal 02 sensor has heater, while the non-universal o2 sensor is mounted closer or on exhaust manifold for it to heat faster. So, while oxygen sensor is heating, the CTS is taking care of the required fuel the engine needs at every coolant temperature, before the o2 comes in to function. The functions of other fuel consumption controlled sensors (MAF/AFM/MAP, IAT, etc) are left out in the above explanations.

To understand me better, locate your CTS (its a sensor with green plastic connector near Thermostat housing), pull out the connector, start the engine, go the tail of your car and see how black the smoke your exhaust will be emitting.

@ bioye,

Am yet to get your mail (if you have sent it). You call reach me on my mobile phone too: 08052811236. You need to manually test the CTS before rulling it out or calling it the culprit ( even though i suspect it). Unfortunately, the CTS will need to be tested when engine is still cold. If you think you can do the testing yurself, let me know so that i can guide you. But first, you need get a DMM and locate the sensor on the engine. Pics will help a lot here.

Ikenna.

1 Like

Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 5:02pm On May 05, 2013
FRENCH CAR FESTIVAL 2012 PERTH AUSTRALIA

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/zykyra/library/French%20Car%20Festival%202012%20Perth%20Australia?sort=4&page=1#/user/zykyra/library/French%20Car%20Festival%202012%20Perth%20Australia?sort=4&page=1&_suid=1367769520702041574029489513575

Both Classic and modern. Lovely!

Ikenna.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by wisesystem: 7:05pm On May 05, 2013
Ikenna351:

To the best of my knowledge, CTS is the only injection sensor that reports to ECU the Coolant temperature. So, for him to be getting "Coolant Temperature too high", thats the only sensor i could think of for now.

A cold engine needs excess fuel to be able to start and run. The CTS makes that happen. When you switch on the ignition, the CTS will signal to ECU the temperature of the coolant. Then the ECU will use the signal/vlues it receives from the CTS to determine amount of fuel the injectors spray into the combustion chambers via intake valves. If the signal it receives from CTS is 3 volts, the CTS will command the injectors to spray in excess fuel for the engine to be able to start. 3 volts value from CTS means engine is coolant/engine is cold. As the engine is running, the coolant is getting warm and hotter quickly, made possible by Thermostat. As it coolant gets hot, the CTS volts value reduces upto 1 volts or a little less than 1 volt. At such value, the ECU will reduce the amount of fuel the injectors spray in (closed loop). Thats why when you remove and run your engine without thermostat, your CTS will always be reporting or sending high volt values to the engine ECU, making the ECU to be commanding injectors to be spraying in excess fuel. ECU works or manages the engine with signals it receives from various injection (and ignition) sensors/components.

Oxygen sensor comes in to perform its function when CTS must have done its part when engine its started for the first few minutes of engine running. Oxygen sensor has to heat first before it can work. Thats why the universal 02 sensor has heater, while the non-universal o2 sensor is mounted closer or on exhaust manifold for it to heat faster. So, while oxygen sensor is heating, the CTS is taking care of the required fuel the engine needs at every coolant temperature, before the o2 comes in to function. The functions of other fuel consumption controlled sensors (MAF/AFM/MAP, IAT, etc) are left out in the above explanations.

To understand me better, locate your CTS (its a sensor with green plastic connector near Thermostat housing), pull out the connector, start the engine, go the tail of your car and see how black the smoke your exhaust will be emitting

Ikenna.

Gracias Mod! Very clear.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by bioye(m): 7:25pm On May 05, 2013
Guys, I really feel at home here. Yep, I'm definitely eager to learn and I promise to keep the house posted with 'my progress'. Ikenna, apologies. I had to run some errands and I'm just getting to relax now. I'll buzz you and send the info you requested. Hopefully, we can hook up sooner rather than later. Many thanks!
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 8:01pm On May 05, 2013
bioye: Guys, I really feel at home here. Yep, I'm definitely eager to learn and I promise to keep the house posted with 'my progress'. Ikenna, apologies. I had to run some errands and I'm just getting to relax now. I'll buzz you and send the info you requested. Hopefully, we can hook up sooner rather than later. Many thanks!

Ok. But i may need to scan your Lion with PP2000 as well, incase there are more faulty injection sensors/components other than the CTS am suspecting.

Ikenna

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (100) (Reply)

The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread / How Many Kilometres Can Your Car Travel Per Litre Of Fuel? / Car Talk Chat Room

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.