Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,726 members, 7,816,986 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:12 PM

Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! - Car Talk (19) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! (385560 Views)

Peugeot Cars Ownership: The Misleading Idea: Location, Cost Of Parts, Etc. / Are There No Auto Peugeot Cars? / American Spec Cars With HEADLAMPS Always On. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (100) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by jbrodaly(m): 7:12pm On Mar 30, 2013
Ikenna what's going on?
Send me a scanned of the paper you think contains the details about the changed of fan belt.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by igahdavid(m): 11:26pm On Mar 30, 2013
Please, Ikenna, do you know how much I can get a super v6 engine for 504
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 12:15am On Mar 31, 2013
igahdavid: Please, Ikenna, do you know how much I can get a super v6 engine for 504

First of all, you should know that not all 504 will take PRV V6 engine, unless you plan to swap in v6 other than one used by Peugeot in 504 coupe and 505 Saloon.

PRV V6 engine use longer torque tube and propeller shaft than the conventional torque tube and prop shaft in standard 504 & 505. So, if you are swapping in a V6 engine in 504 Saloon which never got v6 engine, then you should find v6 torque tube and prop shaft and swap them in as well. The length of 505 v6 propeller shaft is 7.2 m, i think.

The only 504 that can take PRV V6 engine is 504 GL. It has independent differential and rear drive shaft, unlike the other 504 models with live differential. Such ones were not designed to speed and give them stability on high speed, which was why such 504s got 1.8 L engine, while the GL got 2.0 L engine. Besides the GL has lower ground clearance needed for speed.

If you cant get a 504 GL in good condition, then forget about such conversion.

The only factory 504 that got V6 engine (1st generation PRV) was 504 coupe/Cabriolet, which was never sold in Nigeria. Two years ago, a 504 V6 Cabriolet in Mint condition popped up on ebay. The price was $20,000.

Ikenna.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 6:58am On Mar 31, 2013
Happy Easter to all Lions in the house and to all Lionesses out there yet to join us.

Ikenna
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by wisesystem: 7:39pm On Apr 04, 2013
Hi House!!! @ Ikenna hows ur new Fox? nothing to share with the house from the Fox Master?
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 9:46pm On Apr 04, 2013
wisesystem: Hi House!!! @ Ikenna hows ur new Fox? nothing to share with the house from the Fox Master?

Don't mind me. I have been busy studying my Fox; to understand how everything in her works, for future diagnosis & repairs. My Diagbox is also helping me on that. Quite an interesting study for such a complex system.

Meanwhile, I decided not to use the car till I replace the timing belt. I wont risk it. It was first replaced at 66,000 km by the previous owner, but there is no subsequent record to show it was replaced the second time and it has clocked 160,000+ km. So, I want to assume that it was only replaced once, meaning, its due for replacement.

I want to replace it myself. I have started gathering the special tool for replacing the timing belt of that V6 engine, ES9J4S. I have checked at various stores at Gudu and found both PAN and Powergrips (Gates) brands of the engine timing belt. The OEM (PAN) cost 16k, while the aftermarket (Powergrips) cost 13k. Powergrips is a popular company in UK, authorized by many Euro and American cars, to solely produce and sale Timing belts and the kits. The quality of their Timing belts is widely known for good quality. A friend of mine in Australia who replaced his D8 V6 timing belt last year recommended the powergrips for me. Am considering to buy the Powergrips belt, not because its cheaper, but because it has been proved to be of good quality. As for the OEM, I wonder why ASD motors wouldn't have it, yet its in the open market. Hope the one in the open market is truly the OEM. Will look into that before I decide which one to go for.

Unfortunately, they don't sale timing belts with complete kit here. The 3 rollers and 1 tensioner is not included in the pack. The complete kit can be sourced from outside, but am not sure am ready for that now. I want to replace only the belt now and later (maybe after 2 a year or so) source for the complete kit in Uk or US. But I will check the conditions of the rollers and tensioner when I remove the belt. The water pump cost between 18-23k, depending on the brand. But at least, its available here.

I was really surprised to find out at Gudu market that all the engine parts of the ES9J4S are available here in Abuja, just like the I4 petrol engines (XU10, EW10,etc). Only difference is that the V6 parts are pricey.

As soon as I gather all I would need to replace the timing belt, I would do the replacement immediately, so that I can start enjoying " The King of the Foxes!" I will take pics while doing the replacement at every step and post them here or create a separate thread for it.

Ikenna.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by wisesystem: 6:40am On Apr 05, 2013
Ikenna.[/quote]
Don't mind me. I have been busy studying my Fox; to understand how everything in her works, for future diagnosis & repairs. My Diagbox is also helping me on that. Quite an interesting study for such a complex system.

Hmmm! suspected u ve bin up to something wit ur new fox. Good to know that 06 parts are available in the market. Better decision not to drive the new fox until the timing belt s bin changed, thats the preventing maintenance mentality u ve so talked about severally on this thread. sad thing is that most car owners simply dont do that. However most of our road side Mechs maintain that its ok just to ghange the timing belt alone with no time limit for changing the other components... I also know its dangerous to take what those guys offer hook,line and sinker. Please post pictures of the process of changing the timing belt when u get to, and kindly let the house kno when u intend to do that, would love to join u if I happen to be in Abuja, the damage our road side mechs do to our cars has really got me interested in mastering common car repair procedures.

lastly, read somewhere on this thread about the danger of using power pumps to wash 406 engines. could u throw more light on that, most 06 owners i know do it & it seems harmless for them. also what the alternative to that.
Do have a great day!
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 10:34pm On Apr 05, 2013
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by emychukwu: 9:23pm On Apr 08, 2013
Pls can someone tell me about 306
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by lungwun(m): 10:32am On Apr 09, 2013
Hello Peugeot owners,

I just have a quick inquiry.

Are the 406 coupe and sedan mechanically identical?

And are there any problems with 406 RHD to LHD conversions?

I was thinking of importing one (406 coupe) from blighty and converting for use as a daily runner.

Your thoughts please.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by BusHouse(m): 8:37pm On Apr 09, 2013
^^^Are you new on this forum? Your question has been treated by fox gurus on this forum before. So my oga @ the top over to you.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by emychukwu: 6:02am On Apr 10, 2013
Pls someone shld help me with an ans..wot about a 306..wots d pro and cons pls?
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by abdulkadir(m): 6:06am On Apr 10, 2013
lungwun: Hello Peugeot owners,

I was thinking of importing one (406 coupe) from blighty and converting for use as a daily runner.

Your thoughts please.

Read, read thru the thread please.
emychukwu: Pls someone shld help me with an ans..wot about a 306..wots d pro and cons pls?
[quote author=lungwun]Hello Peu

read...
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by lungwun(m): 6:47am On Apr 10, 2013
BusHouse: ^^^Are you new on this forum? Your question has been treated by fox gurus on this forum before. So my oga @ the top over to you.

Yes I am new to this forum. But I do believe a simple Yes or No answer would have sufficed re: my first question.

abdulkadir:

Read, read thru the thread please.

I don't have a problem with reading. but going back 18 pages to search is daunting.

Thanks "Friendly" Peugeot community /s
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 6:57am On Apr 10, 2013
lungwun:

Yes I am new to this forum. But I do believe a simple Yes or No answer would have sufficed re: my first question.

I don't have a problem with reading. but going back 18 pages to search is daunting.

Thanks "Friendly" Peugeot community /s

Trust me, by the time you have read upto the 5th page, you would have learnt a lot, more than what you expected.

I dont always want to be the one contributing, so that it wont look one-man thread. That was why i chose not to reply and answer your questions.

Ikenna

1 Like

Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 7:00am On Apr 10, 2013
emychukwu: Pls can someone tell me about 306

We have a member who have used 306 before, t-die. He is in a better position to answer your question.

But the car parts sellers were saying the other day here in Abuja that 306 parts are scarce in Abuja. I wouldnt know about other states.

Ikenna.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by emychukwu: 7:10am On Apr 10, 2013
Thanks ik, but I don't knw hw to contact d guy, I tot u will have knowledge about it..jst want to know if its too electrical like 406 cos I don't like dis electrical wahalas from wot I ve read on dis thread
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 7:12am On Apr 10, 2013
lungwun: Hello Peugeot owners,

Your thoughts please.

I dont run 406 coupe, but its possible that some of the mechanicals of 406 sedan & coupe maynot be identical, considering the coupe is wider.

All 406 coupe were manufactured in Italy, right inside Pininfarina plant/industry. But were taken out to Peugeot plant for all mechanicals to be installed. That is, Pininfarina produced the body and equiped them. While Peugeot picked them and installed the mechanicals and electrics too, i think. So, there could be some mechanical differences in the front end. But all the engines used in coupe and sedan are the same, both the HDIs and petrol engines.

As for the RHD conversion thing, we have treated this over and over here. As for me on this question, i would tell you "You are on your own". I wont advice anyone to buy such car. Shikena.

Ikenna.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 7:21am On Apr 10, 2013
emychukwu: Thanks ik, but I don't knw hw to contact d guy, I tot u will have knowledge about it..jst want to know if its too electrical like 406 cos I don't like dis electrical wahalas from wot I ve read on dis thread

No, it 306 has less electrics compared to 406 D9. It doesnt have the multiplex electric system (BSI) that you find in all Lion from '99 upward. But trust me, a BSI 406 can be very sweet to operate. But can be a nightmare to the owner if abused/tampared with. To me honest, am enjoying mine. As long as you keep to its do's & donts, it wont fail you.

But note that all Peugeots electrics do act up. So the 306 is not left out. Most of Peugeot electrical issues would always end up to be connectors as the culprit. Cleaning them and fixing them back usually make the issues go away.

Ikenna.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by wisesystem: 7:51am On Apr 10, 2013
quote author=lungwun]
Thanks "Friendly" Peugeot community /

Dear Lungwwun can assure you its really in your best interest to go through the thread, looking for a yes or no answer wont give you an all-round knowledge of the Peugeot brand, you ll simply be asking other questions dats bin treated previously, before you know it. Joined the forum a year ago and read up all the about 15 pages of very useful comments and info in hours, was so hungry for the info I was getting, info you definitely dont get anywhere around. so dont be discouraged Man! Also realise that most of the info on this thread are products of painful research and years of following and observation by ardent Peugeot loving house members and I truly think its only fair you appreciate such effort by reading through the thread. More so you get to know things by yourself, so please dont get it wrong, this thread is surely friendly and ready to help... but first you must be ready to help yourself with a little reading through. Once again your welcome man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 Likes

Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by emychukwu: 6:21pm On Apr 10, 2013
Tanx Ik, I really appreciate..but am nt dat enlightend about dis connectors ur talking abou..pls can u tell me..cos am on d verge of buying dis car..wots ur candid advise..a go ahead or look on sometin else..I don't want to be a constant visitor to a technician
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 7:14pm On Apr 10, 2013
emychukwu: Tanx Ik, I really appreciate..but am nt dat enlightend about dis connectors ur talking abou..pls can u tell me..cos am on d verge of buying dis car..wots ur candid advise..a go ahead or look on sometin else..I don't want to be a constant visitor to a technician

Connectors: wiring connectors, sockets or plugs.

Ikenna.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by emychukwu: 8:45pm On Apr 10, 2013
Ik, dalu...but I won't leave u until u advise me on d way forward
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by abdulkadir(m): 12:48pm On Apr 11, 2013
emychukwu: Ik, dalu...but I won't leave u until u advise me on d way forward

do you think ikenna or any of pug fan here wld advice you against a pug. He would only give you an objective analysis than leave you to make d decision.
again i would ask you to read throu the thread you wld be suprised in no time you will read thru.
you might not get all you need frm indivdual responses but when you gather all d xperiences on this thread you are more likely to make a better decision.
gd luck!

1 Like

Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by wisesystem: 4:35pm On Apr 11, 2013
abdulkadir:

do you think ikenna or any of pug fan here wld advice you against a pug. He would only give you an objective analysis than leave you to make d decision.
again i would ask you to read throu the thread you wld be suprised in no time you will read thru.
you might not get all you need frm indivdual responses but when you gather all d xperiences on this thread you are more likely to make a better decision.
gd luck!

true talk
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by emychukwu: 10:41am On Apr 12, 2013
Tanx boss
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 11:13am On Apr 15, 2013
Someone from Lagos once called me that his 206 was terribly emitting white smoke. From his answers to my questions, it was indicating that the head gasket hasnt failed: no loss of coolant, no overheating-temp guage always reading normal, engine oil always guage normal, no discoloured of enigine oil on oil dipstick, etc. So, i was honestly confused, had no idea what could be the cause of the white smoke.

Few days later, while in one of the French car forum i belong to, someones posted a query of a similar issue with his Lion. He later diagnosed the Catalytic converter as the culprit, which stopped as soon the caty was replaced. Unfortunately, the number of the 206 guy was no longer in my phone log. I couldnt contact him anymore. I remembered the matter this morning and decided to share it with everyone.

The lesson here is that a catalytic converter in our lions or some of them could fail by giving white smoke symptom.

Ikenna.

1 Like

Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by wisesystem: 4:43pm On Apr 15, 2013
Ikenna351: Someone from Lagos once called me that his 206 was terribly emitting white smoke. From his answers to my questions, it was indicating that the head gasket hasnt failed: no loss of coolant, no overheating-temp guage always reading normal, engine oil always guage normal, no discoloured of enigine oil on oil dipstick, etc. So, i was honestly confused, had no idea what could be the cause of the white smoke.

Few days later, while in one of the French car forum i belong to, someones posted a query of a similar issue with his Lion. He later diagnosed the Catalytic converter as the culprit, which stopped as soon the caty was replaced. Unfortunately, the number of the 206 guy was no longer in my phone log. I couldnt contact him anymore. I remembered the matter this morning and decided to share it with everyone.

The lesson here is that a catalytic converter in our lions or some of them could fail by giving white smoke symptom.

Ikenna.

Noted Broda and really appreciated. simply info like this could save one a lot of stress and some merry-go-round with our road side guys. Danke!
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by wablet(m): 6:23pm On Apr 17, 2013
Hello gurus in the house, pls help I'm confused! I use a pug 607 2001 model and the check engine lite came on about a week ago. I took the car to an auto tech for scanning but unfortunately the scanning portal in the car doesn't work. Ho
w do I repair the portal bearing in mind that it will be trial and error with
out scanning even though the car's OBD gives "anti-pollution system in-operative" as the fault.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by tdie: 8:56pm On Apr 17, 2013
Hi Guys...
What's been happening on our thread lately??
Came across a classic pug today; the 403. Fell in love and have been begging the owner to possibly sell the car to me so I can bring it back to naija. :-)
Will keep you guys updated....

3 Likes

Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 10:19pm On Apr 17, 2013
t-die:
Hi Guys...
What's been happening on our thread lately??
Came across a classic pug today; the 403. Fell in love and have been begging the owner to possibly sell the car to me so I can bring it back to naija. :-)
Will keep you guys updated....

Very interesting!

A friend of mine in Australia is refurbishing his. He loves his and praise her all the time, even though he has also 406 V6 coupe, 505 & 504. He told me 2 weeks ago that he would buy a 406 v6 D8 Saloon too last week, to add to his collection.

Ikenna.

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (100) (Reply)

The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread / How Many Kilometres Can Your Car Travel Per Litre Of Fuel? / Car Talk Chat Room

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.